X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mahdi
    • Mar 2004

Can we be a patient fanbase now?

As Bills fans I think we have seen it all. Ups and downs, mostly downs lately... however one thing we should be well versed in is patience.

We have criticized so many of our players early on in their careers only to find them succeed. Then we look foolish in the end.

Aaron Williams was a bust apparently

McKelvin bust

Darby was a bust after his first preseason

Watkins was a bust

Lynch I remember people saying he was a bust and that we should get as much as we could for him

Colts thought Jerry Hughes was a bust

Point being, each player has a unique time frame within which they develop into what they are capable of being. Sometimes that player is not in the right situation or doesn't have the coaches that know how best to utilize them. Sometimes the potential is held back by injury. And sometimes players just need more time to figure it out.

Bottom line we should have more patience going forward when supporting the team and its players. Even if Sammy doesn't have another game like this the rest of the season there is no denying how good he is. Tyrod completed 11 of 12 passes yesterday which means our offense is not likely to be throwing a lot and for 8 of the 11 throws to go to one guy is never going to happen again. If Sammy was with the Giants or Steelers or Falcons he would be ripping up the league. We are just going to have to accept that he may disappear at times through no fault of his own. I also still think fans need to re-visit their opinion on EJ. He also needs time to develop properly as he plays a much harder position than Sammy and hasn't been given the opportunity to learn. I'm not saying he's starter material, but no one can tell me they know that he isn't because there is not enough proof to support it.

So, how about we give players a chance to learn before we label them one way or the other.
  • Night Train
    Retired - On Several Levels
    • Jul 2005

Re: Can we be a patient fanbase now?

This is a wailing wall where people come to cry. Common sense has no place here.

Move on. You're a bust.
    Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• Turf
      • Jul 2002

You had me until EJ.
      Lou Saban: You can get it done, you can get it done. And what’s more, you’ve gotta get it done.

Comment

• kscdogbillsfan1221
        • Nov 2007

It's hard to tell us to be patient when we haven't seen a f&&&sing playoff game since January 2000, no home playoff game since December 1996 and no playoff win since the 1995 season. Even though I understand what you're saying....Don't tell us to be ***** patient. That's long enough.
        I came.
        I saw.
        I conquered.

Comment

• Mahdi
          • Mar 2004

Originally posted by kscdogbillsfan1221 View Post
          It's hard to tell us to be patient when we haven't seen a f&&&sing playoff game since January 2000, no home playoff game since December 1996 and no playoff win since the 1995 season. Even though I understand what you're saying....Don't tell us to be ***** patient. That's long enough.
          I agree but I'm not talking about results.

I'm talking about the constant judging of individual players before they've had a chance to progress.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Night Train View Post
          This is a wailing wall where people come to cry. Common sense has no place here.

Move on. You're a bust.
          hmm ok

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
            • Mar 2004

Your posts are a bust.

Comment

• Pinkerton Security
              Pinkerton's son
              • Feb 2006

How weird that getting a starting QB, WR, RB, RG, FS back from injury along with backup RB who contributes a lot as well as a veteran slot CB would make a difference in the way we play!

Comment

• justasportsfan
                • Jul 2002

I'll be paient when we make playoffs and can beat the Patriots. Not a crappy dolphin team that even dolfans don't care for.

Did you cry for us to be patient after losing to the Jaguars?
                sacrifice1
                https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• sdbillsfan2
                  • Apr 2005

I still hate Rex and this defense. We beat another sub 500 team. Big friggen deal.

" I'd try to see things from your point of view but..........there's only room up your a** for one head ! "

Comment

• Albany,n.y.
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by sdbillsfan2 View Post
                    I still hate Rex and this defense. We beat another sub 500 team. Big friggen deal.
                    Those 2 beat downs we gave them are the reason they're a sub 500 team. Against the rest of the league, they're a 500 team.

Comment

• OpIv37
                      Acid Douching Asswipe
                      • Sep 2002

don't make me bust out the list players that fans knew were busts long before the team caught on....

And no, we will not be a patient fan base. We have suffered for far too long as it is. But on a more pragmatic basis, players have shelf lives and there is a point where their play will decline due to age. There is no magic number because it varies by position and individual, but it is a fact of life that it will happen eventually. There is also the salary cap and free agency. Translation: a team can only be kept together for so long. By the time we wait around for these guys to develop, how many players will leave/decline and create new holes? That's why this team is constantly chasing its' tail.

Yeah, Indy lost out on Hughes because they weren't patient, but they've also gone to the playoffs every year since that trade, and will likely return this year because they are in a garbage division.
                      MiKiDo Facebook
                      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
                        • Sep 2012

You can see development with EJ, the problem is that he's got a massive unfixable hole at the center of his game and he's completely lost the trust of the team and fans.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Comment

• jamze132
                          Don’t hate…
                          • Jun 2003

Originally posted by Mahdi View Post
                          As Bills fans I think we have seen it all. Ups and downs, mostly downs lately... however one thing we should be well versed in is patience.

We have criticized so many of our players early on in their careers only to find them succeed. Then we look foolish in the end.

Aaron Williams was a bust apparently

McKelvin bust

Darby was a bust after his first preseason

Watkins was a bust

Lynch I remember people saying he was a bust and that we should get as much as we could for him

Colts thought Jerry Hughes was a bust

Point being, each player has a unique time frame within which they develop into what they are capable of being. Sometimes that player is not in the right situation or doesn't have the coaches that know how best to utilize them. Sometimes the potential is held back by injury. And sometimes players just need more time to figure it out.

Bottom line we should have more patience going forward when supporting the team and its players. Even if Sammy doesn't have another game like this the rest of the season there is no denying how good he is. Tyrod completed 11 of 12 passes yesterday which means our offense is not likely to be throwing a lot and for 8 of the 11 throws to go to one guy is never going to happen again. If Sammy was with the Giants or Steelers or Falcons he would be ripping up the league. We are just going to have to accept that he may disappear at times through no fault of his own. I also still think fans need to re-visit their opinion on EJ. He also needs time to develop properly as he plays a much harder position than Sammy and hasn't been given the opportunity to learn. I'm not saying he's starter material, but no one can tell me they know that he isn't because there is not enough proof to support it.

So, how about we give players a chance to learn before we label them one way or the other.
                          I get it.

However, an NFL season is only 16 games and the average shelf life of a player in the NFL is 2-4 years so there isn't much room for patience. You either have it or you don't!

Comment

• YardRat
                            Well, lookie here...
                            • Dec 2004

I'm still patient with the players...I don't have any room for patience for the coaching staffs anymore after this last hire fubared what had already been built.
                            YardRat Wall of Fame
                            #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                            #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• MillsapsBillsFan
                              • Mar 2015

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post
                              don't make me bust out the list players that fans knew were busts long before the team caught on....
                              Well yeah, because everyone here is a bust if they aren't the best in the league the second they step out on the field. It's pretty easy to say that there are all these players that the fanbase "knew" before the team did, because 3/4 of this fanbase thinks everyone is a bust.

Comment

Working...
                              X