PDA

View Full Version : Tyrod Taylor Top 5: Passer Rating, Comp. %, and YPA

Ed
11-09-2015, 09:59 AM
Tyrod has a lot less pass attempts than most other qb's, but after six starts he's currently 4th in passer rating at 108.8. He's 3rd in YPA at 8.58. But best of all he's #1 in completion percentage at 71.8%. He's the only qb that's completed more than 70% of his passes. That's pretty awesome considering accuracy was one of his biggest concerns or question marks when they signed him. I don't know if he can keep that up, but it's encouraging.

Tyrod is now 4-2 as a starter and he's 4-0 when he doesn't turn the ball over. With McCoy and Karlos both back and healthy now I expect our running game to be a strength, which should help take some pressure off Tyrod and put him more favorable situations. I think the fact that he can be so dangerous with his feet also allows him to avoid some bad throws or throwing the ball away.

If our D was actually anywhere close to what we thought it would be, this could be a really good team.

Skooby
11-09-2015, 11:12 AM
It's amazing stats & if he stays healthy then we have a shot. He played well all 4 quarters as well, no slow start.

Night Train
11-09-2015, 03:42 PM
Rex wanted him. Thank God.

He's tons better than Manuel/Cassel/Orton. Now we need depth behind him this next off-season.

Meathead
11-09-2015, 03:45 PM
never in a zillion years could you predict a career 55% college passer with virtually zero nfl exp could turn into a 70%+ passer first time starting. i expect he will come back to earth some but still should be able to stay well over 60% from here on out. thats utterly amazing

cant make a better case for the value of having a guy sit behind a good starter for a few years

YardRat
11-09-2015, 04:44 PM
The completion percentage isn't necessarily impressive on it's own, but coupled with the YPA it becomes more significant.

Famous Amos
11-09-2015, 04:47 PM
Watching him Taylor play, it's refreshing to see a quarterback throw past the sticks when needing a first down. one incompletion, no interceptions, a few sacks. The only fault I could find with him is he could throw the ball away more often when in trouble. I'd rather see an incompletion than a 6 yard sack.

Mace
11-09-2015, 04:51 PM
And he's still learning.

BillsOwnAll
11-09-2015, 06:07 PM
Remember in 2002 when Brady would throw for 15 attempts a game and the defense would win SBs. If only our defense could pick it up

stuckincincy
11-09-2015, 09:23 PM
Congrats to Taylor - he's making the most of his opportunity.

Topas
11-10-2015, 03:06 AM
Watching him Taylor play, it's refreshing to see a quarterback throw past the sticks when needing a first down. one incompletion, no interceptions, a few sacks. The only fault I could find with him is he could throw the ball away more often when in trouble. I'd rather see an incompletion than a 6 yard sack.

Agree, kind of. And then also not.
E.g. on his sack on the flea flicker, I was happy he did not throw the ball. If he throws the ball there, it is an interception. He is on his back foot and about to be nailed. I said interception when he moved his arm and started the throwing motion right before the sack. I was happy he did not throw it in the end.
And also, he so often extends a play and gets a pass off or runs for a few yards. And a QB who often does that will also get sacked. If he throws incompletions more often prior to getting sacked, we will also loose a few successful plays where he nearly got sacked, but managed to escape and made a positive play.

Famous Amos
11-10-2015, 04:08 AM
Agree, kind of. And then also not.
E.g. on his sack on the flea flicker, I was happy he did not throw the ball. If he throws the ball there, it is an interception. He is on his back foot and about to be nailed. I said interception when he moved his arm and started the throwing motion right before the sack. I was happy he did not throw it in the end.
And also, he so often extends a play and gets a pass off or runs for a few yards. And a QB who often does that will also get sacked. If he throws incompletions more often prior to getting sacked, we will also loose a few successful plays where he nearly got sacked, but managed to escape and made a positive play.

All good points. He certainly has an above average pocket awareness.

HHURRICANE
11-10-2015, 06:16 AM
Tyrod gets a ton of **** on this board....I don't understand it. He's effective so I have no idea why he gets treated like a gimmick.

And by the way he's smart and can throw a 5 yard swing pass.

Cleve
11-10-2015, 06:46 AM
Orton had good stats too, for a while, last season. Jury is still out on Tyrod Taylor. Putting up good numbers against a bad team isn't "all that" - we need a bigger sample of games and performances to evaluate him with.

BidsJr
11-10-2015, 07:35 AM
Remember in 2002 when Brady would throw for 15 attempts a game and the defense would win SBs. If only our defense could pick it up

Actually no I don't remember that. Unless Brady didn't start the game, came out injured or it was a week 17 meaningless game..... Brady has not once EVER IN HIS ENTIRE CAREER thrown less than 15 times in a game. LOLOLOLOL

gebobs
11-10-2015, 09:18 AM
Actually no I don't remember that. Unless Brady didn't start the game, came out injured or it was a week 17 meaningless game..... Brady has not once EVER IN HIS ENTIRE CAREER thrown less than 15 times in a game. LOLOLOLOL

There was one game in 2004 against Miami where he wasn't pulled for one reason or another and he only threw 19 times. They still won 24-10. Welker had a field goal. :-)

To your point, Brady is a freak. On average, he throws 35 times a game. Manning is about the same. If Taylor threw that many passes, his arm would be limp pasta.

swiper
11-10-2015, 11:17 AM
Taylor is going to get hurt again.

yordad
11-10-2015, 12:01 PM
Pretty sure December weather will change this due to no fault of tyrods.

Joe Fo Sho
11-10-2015, 12:27 PM
Pretty sure December weather will change this due to no fault of tyrods.

We should try to take a little pressure out of the footballs we use to make it easier to catch/hang on to.

SpikedLemonade
11-10-2015, 07:17 PM
Let's do it!

Lock him up early like we did with Fitz.

What could possibly go wrong?

Once again this successful franchise over the past 20 years has found another player overlooked by the rest of the league.

feldspar
11-11-2015, 07:05 AM
Let's do it!

Lock him up early like we did with Fitz.

What could possibly go wrong?

Once again this successful franchise over the past 20 years has found another player overlooked by the rest of the league.

The whole Fitzgerald's extension was dumb...I thought so from the get-go.

But Taylor has played better than I thought any of our options would, at least so far. We have him through next year locked up already guaranteed. I believe that's the case. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think so. Nix did the the whole Fitzgerald's extension, in conjunction with whoever else. No way the Bills are dumb enough to pull an Unnecessary drastic maneuver until this thing plays out further. So far, Tyrod has been a surprise and a bargain, relatively speaking. But he still has a lot to prove...I hope he does.

BidsJr
11-11-2015, 08:41 AM

But Taylor has played better than I thought any of our options would, at least so far. We have him through next year locked up already guaranteed. I believe that's the case. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think so. Nix did the the whole Fitzgerald's extension, in conjunction with whoever else. No way the Bills are dumb enough to pull an Unnecessary drastic maneuver until this thing plays out further. So far, Tyrod has been a surprise and a bargain, relatively speaking. But he still has a lot to prove...I hope he does.

Plus 2 franchise year options. If this guy can't stay healthy, he better not get paid. Last thing we need is a $20 million per year QB who leads us to 8-2 every year just to get injured and have EJ/Orton/Cassel lead us to 8-8 in the remaining 6 games that he missed.

ICRockets
11-11-2015, 10:14 AM

You are correct, he's still under contract next season. I wonder if we could give him a short extension, just another year or two, for about $5 million a year. Then when/if he proves to be a franchise guy, we pay him what franchise QBs garner. Because if he really is our guy going forward, he's making way less than he deserves on his current contract.

Victor7
11-11-2015, 10:32 AM
He's certainly been a breath of fresh air to quote Robert Royal. But we still need more games. So far 3 of his 4 wins and his 3 best games non coincidentally have come vs the **** Colts and Dolphins. The rest of the games he's been pretty awful. Even the Tennessee win was terrible. Lets not even talk about the losses. I'm not taking either side just yet. I just wanna see more. I really do like what I see so far. But lets not get ahead of ourselves.

ICRockets
11-11-2015, 11:58 AM
He's certainly been a breath of fresh air to quote Robert Royal. But we still need more games. So far 3 of his 4 wins and his 3 best games non coincidentally have come vs the **** Colts and Dolphins. The rest of the games he's been pretty awful. Even the Tennessee win was terrible. Lets not even talk about the losses. I'm not taking either side just yet. I just wanna see more. I really do like what I see so far. But lets not get ahead of ourselves.

You mean "fresh of breath air".

BidsJr
11-11-2015, 12:39 PM
You are correct, he's still under contract next season. I wonder if we could give him a short extension, just another year or two, for about $5 million a year. Then when/if he proves to be a franchise guy, we pay him what franchise QBs garner. Because if he really is our guy going forward, he's making way less than he deserves on his current contract.

So if he is making less than he deserves on his current contract why on earth would he be stupid enough to sign a 1-2 year 5 mil per extension?

ICRockets
11-11-2015, 01:00 PM
So if he is making less than he deserves on his current contract why on earth would he be stupid enough to sign a 1-2 year 5 mil per extension?

What would be stupid about that? It's 5x what he's making now, and if he gets seriously injured before cashing in big he probably never will.

starrymessenger
11-12-2015, 07:26 AM
What would be stupid about that? It's 5x what he's making now, and if he gets seriously injured before cashing in big he probably never will.

Because if he continues to play well as the starter, improves on those aspects of his game that need work and manages to remain relatively healthy those dollars are simply not enuf. Not nearly. And the the two year time frame doesn't work for him either given he is already a four year veteran player. If he holds up the Bills will probably move to lock him up before the end of next year. If the Bills make the playoffs, especially if the O shows well, they may well begin discussions as soon as this offseason. Yes this does expose the team to certain risks, namely injury and non performance. Maybe those can be dealt with using a team friendly incentive laden deal similar to what Kaep got.

Tyrod and his advisors certainly feel that he should have been drafted higher than he was and could have started before 2015. In his interview with Michael Robinson I heard him say at one point that "they don't want you to succeed" (presumably this sentiment is a continuation of the Warren Moon legacy). How much of this is true or not I can't say. I tend to doubt it in this day and age and in any event I know any true Bills fan sure wants him to succeed. But the point is he feels it. He probably resents having to waste two years of top earning potential that he has lost just to have to prove who he doubtless believes he truly is. And if in fact that's who he is and you ask him to do more of that pro bona stuff he will certainly tell you to go get stuffed.

colin
11-12-2015, 08:34 AM
im a big tyrod fan, but we have to give some credit to roman. the goofy scheme that drives us crazy from time to time lets tyrod hold the ball, only throw it when he is comfortable, and (usually) sets up some good 2nd and 3rd downs for some deep bombs. roman made kap and alex smith look good too.

feldspar
11-12-2015, 12:11 PM

I thought his current contract was loaded with incentives based on playing time and success. He's won the starting job, so he's getting playing time...if he takes 80% of the snaps he'll see another million this year, same as next year...something like that. There are escalators.

That's fair enough for now, I'd say. No hurry to make any move on the part of the Bills. Tyrod is still in the " thankful for the opportunity" stage, or should be.

elltrain22
11-12-2015, 12:19 PM
Personally speaking, hypothetically, if he was our QB next year, I'd be more than cool with that. However, if Stafford is really available in the offseason, thats who I want.