PDA

View Full Version : Rex is a bigger hype meister than Don King- IK named Captain

Scumbag College
11-09-2015, 02:47 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000576607/article/rex-ryan-will-make-ik-enemkpali-captain-against-jets

I laughed at first when I read this, but the more that I think about this it reeks of the hype circus before Week 2. I was hoping we would float under the national media radar as much as possible for the rest of the season.

YardRat
11-09-2015, 02:49 PM
lol...Dude on NFLN called this yesterday. He was right.

Mace
11-09-2015, 03:09 PM
I don't know, I don't even think it's funny. Strikes me as immature and petty, like grade school level brat stuff. Wish this organization would develop a little class but no chance of that happening until Ryan is gone.

YardRat
11-09-2015, 03:11 PM
I was laughing at the dude calling it, not Rex doing, FWIW.

Ed
11-09-2015, 03:16 PM
It's not really that surprising or new for Rex. He always makes players that were cut by that weeks opponent honorary captains. He did the same thing with Incognito for both Dolphin games.

IK ENEMKPALI TO CAPTAIN BILLS VS. JETS
Bills coach Rex Ryan said today that Enemkpali will serve as a captain when they play the Jets on Thursday night. Enemkpali was cut by the Jets in September after he punched and broke Geno Smith's jaw. Said Ryan: "I'll get ripped or whatever, but I do this all the time. Anybody that's played (against that team), you're gonna see (as a captain)."

Luisito23
11-09-2015, 03:19 PM
Meh, go gives a S***...Rex is still a clown, but this is exactly why players love him...

Move along, nothing to see here.

Night Train
11-09-2015, 03:24 PM
It would be great if the Jets sent out Geno Smith.

Mace
11-09-2015, 03:24 PM
It's not really that surprising or new for Rex. He always makes players that were cut by that weeks opponent honorary captains. He did the same thing with Incognito for both Dolphin games.

IK ENEMKPALI TO CAPTAIN BILLS VS. JETS
Bills coach Rex Ryan said today that Enemkpali will serve as a captain when they play the Jets on Thursday night. Enemkpali was cut by the Jets in September after he punched and broke Geno Smith's jaw. Said Ryan: "I'll get ripped or whatever, but I do this all the time. Anybody that's played (against that team), you're gonna see (as a captain)."

True, but what's the point of even doing that ? It's like giving past with old team more weight than present and future with new one over players who deserve it for better reasons. Does anyone really care who guys used to play for or how they are doing with us ?

Not being cranky with you, Ryan just rubs me the wrong way already in his tenure here.

djjimkelly
11-09-2015, 03:27 PM
LOL @ REX he sure does know how to stir it

trapezeus
11-09-2015, 04:29 PM
Jeff fisher made all the players he got in exchange for rg3 the captain of the game vs Washington. It's not unheard of and the players seem to like it.

Just don't make it the sole focus of prep in his short week.

Its td bravado that's loved when it works and scorned when it back fires. If you don't do that, you are a scared jauron type person never willing to take a chance.

Albany,n.y.
11-09-2015, 04:31 PM
It would be great if the Jets sent out Geno Smith.

Greater if IK beat him up again with the coin in the air.

YardRat
11-09-2015, 04:35 PM

I'm guessing Geno will take 'tails' this time, instead of the head like the incident.

Mace
11-09-2015, 04:41 PM

Best would be if Geno sucker punched IK with the coin in the air and broke his hand, but that only happens in comedy movies.

More likely Geno says "Hey IK, needing some cash, there's a coin for you." and Enemkpali socks him again, an official, Ryan who tries to break it up, then charges into the stands to attack some fans before being eventually tasered and dragged out in a straightjacket, frothing at the mouth and screaming Terry Pegula is in his head making him do bad things and won't go away.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm guessing Geno will take 'tails' this time, instead of the head like the incident.

Now THAT was funny.

Turf
11-09-2015, 04:57 PM
Very stupid of Rex. All this does is gives the Jets a rallying point. Really dumb move.

casdhf
11-09-2015, 05:04 PM
Very stupid of Rex. All this does is gives the Jets a rallying point. Really dumb move.how is this a rallying point for the jets at all?

BuffaloRedleg
11-09-2015, 05:06 PM
Very stupid of Rex. All this does is gives the Jets a rallying point. Really dumb move.

This is the most overrated concept in sports.

I would love to see someone prove a correlation between "bulletin board material" and actual on-field performance.

Mace
11-09-2015, 05:17 PM

I would love to see someone prove a correlation between "bulletin board material" and actual on-field performance.

We'll find out sure enough.

Mace
11-09-2015, 05:22 PM
how is this a rallying point for the jets at all?

Well, it's insulting heading into someones house. Adds emotion. That's Ryan's thing, does it add more to us than it causes for the opponent ? I'll bet Bowles is telling them to stick to the game plan and Buffalo will beat itself on emotion. I'll bet Ryan is telling the Bills emotion can carry the day. For the Jets it will simmer in the background, for the Bills it will flame in the foreground. Does that work well for us ?

We'll see.

YardRat
11-09-2015, 05:25 PM
Rex needs to learn (and in turn, teach the team) that passion wins football games, not emotion.

Mace
11-09-2015, 05:34 PM
Rex needs to learn (and in turn, teach the team) that passion wins football games, not emotion.

Passion and focus in applying it. But Rex isn't learning anything anymore.

MillsapsBillsFan
11-09-2015, 06:12 PM
This doesn't mean anything. When the Bills played the dolphins every former dolphin was a captain. Hogan, Incognito, Thigpen, Carpenter. Rex does this all the time with every team, theres no big deal that should be made from this

Turf
11-09-2015, 06:20 PM
how is this a rallying point for the jets at all?

Because its hits a nerve for the team. Its bulletin board material, and yes, that does help motivate. Not to mention, its just a cheap shot taking advantage of an unfortunate incident. Classless IMO. This is why Bellichik wins, and Ryan loses. As if Rex wasn't in the spotlight enough coming back to his old team, he feels the need to do this, make the team captain the guy that knocked out their QB. Yeah it matters.
The undisciplined attitude of this team starts from the top down.

jimmifli
11-09-2015, 08:17 PM
Because its hits a nerve for the team. Its bulletin board material, and yes, that does help motivate. .

Meh. Most of Gino's teammates know he ripped off IK and then goaded him on. I doubt it's motivation for either team. 100% pure irrelevant distraction.

BP
11-10-2015, 06:08 AM

All you have to do is watch replays of Super Bowl 10 to prove that theory wrong. Cliff Harris heckling Roy Gerela after missing another fg turned Jack Lambert into a maniac in the 2nd half. and the whole defense rallied around him. now granted that was long before internet and social media and almost everybody in professional sports talking ****.

sukie
11-10-2015, 06:20 AM
Bills looked pretty darn passionate and played quite well when he trotted out ex Dolphins players fro the coin toss... Why the criticism here?

swiper
11-10-2015, 11:33 AM
You wish they could play the Dolphins every week.

Jax > Bills

Jets > Jax

jimmifli
11-10-2015, 12:25 PM
Maybe Gino will let IK keep the coin.

Dr. Lecter
11-10-2015, 01:19 PM
Because its hits a nerve for the team. Its bulletin board material, and yes, that does help motivate. Not to mention, its just a cheap shot taking advantage of an unfortunate incident. Classless IMO. This is why Bellichik wins, and Ryan loses. As if Rex wasn't in the spotlight enough coming back to his old team, he feels the need to do this, make the team captain the guy that knocked out their QB. Yeah it matters.
The undisciplined attitude of this team starts from the top down.
Is there any evidence that it helps motivate?

Mace
11-10-2015, 04:29 PM
Ryan shows up to his Bills presser in a Clemson helmet (his son) and is shocked at the reaction to Enemkpali being named a captain, says he doesn't get it.

I think there's something wrong with the guy. I don't know 4-4 merits this much joyful whimsy.

Turf
11-10-2015, 06:05 PM
Ryan shows up to his Bills presser in a Clemson helmet (his son) and is shocked at the reaction to Enemkpali being named a captain, says he doesn't get it.

I think there's something wrong with the guy. I don't know 4-4 merits this much joyful whimsy.

If he actually did that, he's either an idiot, liar, or bag of wind, or all of the above. When you listen to his pressers, he says the first thing that comes to his mind, and after he says it, he says well maybe not, but whatever. I'm thinking to myself, wtf is wrong with you. I think he's in love with himself.

Mace
11-10-2015, 06:10 PM
If he actually did that, he's either an idiot, liar, or bag of wind, or all of the above. When you listen to his pressers, he says the first thing that comes to his mind, and after he says it, he says well maybe not, but whatever. I'm thinking to myself, wtf is wrong with you. I think he's in love with himself.

http://bnwordpress.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2015/11/REX-434x326.jpg

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2015/11/10/rex-ryan-shocked-by-response-to-naming-enemkpali-a-captain/

The Jokeman
11-10-2015, 06:16 PM

There's a reason people call Rex a player's coach, as he forces the media to focus on him not his players. He's also willing to take the blame when things go wrong and not throw his players under the bus which can be a good/bad thing. While this season hasn't gone exactly how I thought it would have we're still in the Wild Card hunt despite being 4-4. That said this week is as much as a must win.

Mace
11-10-2015, 06:22 PM
There's a reason people call Rex a player's coach, as he forces the media to focus on him not his players. He's also willing to take the blame when things go wrong and not throw his players under the bus which can be a good/bad thing. While this season hasn't gone exactly how I thought it would have we're still in the Wild Card hunt despite being 4-4. That said this week is as much as a must win.

Absolutely a must win, but I'd just call it weird. When you really think about it, Belichick does the same thing without childish theatrics. You almost expect one presser, Rex will do card tricks and eat a bug.

Meathead
11-10-2015, 06:49 PM
personally i like rexys irreverent style on unimportant topics

trouble is it seems to bleed into serious matters sometimes ie penalties

Turf
11-10-2015, 07:02 PM
http://bnwordpress.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2015/11/REX-434x326.jpg

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2015/11/10/rex-ryan-shocked-by-response-to-naming-enemkpali-a-captain/

Spotlight? SPOTLIGHT? What Spotlight? What are you talking about?

Mace
11-10-2015, 07:29 PM
personally i like rexys irreverent style on unimportant topics

trouble is it seems to bleed into serious matters sometimes ie penalties

I liked Monty Python, just didn't want them coaching my teams in professional sports or governing me. Granted it may have been amusing but not necessarily conducive to any success.

Turf
11-10-2015, 07:53 PM
Sweet win. Wrong board lol. Go Sabres.

BuffaloRedleg
11-11-2015, 04:30 AM
We'll find out sure enough.

I think that is the tough part though.

It's quite possible we lose this game, bulletin board material or not. There is no way of knowing whether or not that is why we lost. If we win, do we say that bulletin board material wasn't good enough or that it doesn't matter?

I can't see any way to prove that this concept exists.

BuffaloRedleg
11-11-2015, 04:33 AM
All you have to do is watch replays of Super Bowl 10 to prove that theory wrong. Cliff Harris heckling Roy Gerela after missing another fg turned Jack Lambert into a maniac in the 2nd half. and the whole defense rallied around him. now granted that was long before internet and social media and almost everybody in professional sports talking ****.

What about the 10 billion we've been beaten by the Patriots after Belicheat mangled Bills players names like they didn't matter?

What about when we put Incognito out there against the Dolphins?

I could go on forever. One time in Superbowl 10 where maybe (and you still haven't proven it at all) that the guys were really fired up over **** talking doesn't make a trend.

feldspar
11-11-2015, 05:30 AM
Strikes me...

Yes, it strikes me, as well.

In fact, I consider the Bills naming IK Captain a slap in the face to the Jets.

...other puns, too.

Seriously though, I'm not sure how well-respected Geno Smith is in the Jets locker-room. As far as I'm concerned, IK did the jets a favor, for the time-being at least. Too bad for Geno, but Fitzpatrick was always their best option IMO.

Victor7
11-11-2015, 12:12 PM
Another non issue

Rex has been doing this since forever. He used to do it when he was the Jets. Its not something that started 9 weeks ago here in Buffalo. The whole Geno vs Ik thing sort of falls into a common practice of him more than Rex wanting to provoke anybody.

Its not an additional motivation for anyone. Maybe Geno. Who won't play anyway. This players are out there to win it. Bulletin board material or not.

I'm not Rex's biggest fan but some people wanna look to much into everything he does. If you think we are 4-4 instead of say 6-2 because of these kinda things I don't know what to tell ya.

YardRat
11-11-2015, 04:57 PM
Is there any evidence that it helps motivate?

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/RyanRe0.htm

9-7
11-5
8-8
6-10
8-8
4-12
4-4
-------
50-54

Games over .500: -4
Super Bowl Wins: 0
Overall Championships: 0
Conference Championships: 0
Division Championships: 0

YardRat
11-11-2015, 05:04 PM
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/RyanBu0.htm

5-10
7-8
10-6
11-5
10-6
8-8
4-12
---------
55-55

Games over .500: 0
Division Championships: 1

YardRat
11-11-2015, 05:06 PM
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/GlanJe0.htm

0-2
5-11
9-6
10-6
9-7
5-11
10-6
6-10
6-10
-----------
60-69

Games over .500: -9
Division Championships: 0

Mace
11-11-2015, 05:21 PM
I think that is the tough part though.

It's quite possible we lose this game, bulletin board material or not. There is no way of knowing whether or not that is why we lost. If we win, do we say that bulletin board material wasn't good enough or that it doesn't matter?

I can't see any way to prove that this concept exists.

Farther down the road unfortunately. Rex will keep providing bulletin board material, and we'll get a measurement by penalties, wins, and losses. He'll talk and clown more against some teams than others, effect will be proven by if we beat them and how we play against them.

I don't really think this was a team that needed a motivator, it needed a mechanic. If it needed a motivator, you'll see some emotional wins (against good teams) full of gut checks, stands and step up's. If we needed a mechanic, you'll see the machine screwing up because it isn't being used right and see obvious lack of coaching issues like penalties, poor clock management, and head scratching situational decisions that don't end well.

The gold standard of coaching in the league doesn't wear funny hats or try and jolly the media because it amuses them and it's funFunFUnFUN, they just take care of business.

If we succeed with the sideshow, it worked, if we don't it didn't. At 4-4 it's still not looking optimal to me. Marrone managed 9-7. If the dart slinging Gipper here doesn't manage at least 9-7 he's not as good as Marrone (argh), and maybe next year we do the same thing and expect different results.

BillsImpossible
11-11-2015, 05:42 PM
Absolutely a must win, but I'd just call it weird. When you really think about it, Belichick does the same thing without childish theatrics. You almost expect one presser, Rex will do card tricks and eat a bug.

The only reason why Bill Belichick never has much to say is because he's been trying to hide something for 15 years.

Rex is going to be Rex. He's not a mealy mouthed wuss. He's loud, outspoken, and Irish.

I like where he has this team headed.

I think Rex Ryan uses a lot of sports psychology that goes right over the heads of most people.

This team is perfectly unpredictable.

BillsImpossible
11-11-2015, 06:05 PM
....and maybe next year we do the same thing and expect different results.

Sounds like the past 65 years in WNY politics, not the Bills of today.

Tyrod Taylor has 8 games left to show he is the long term future franchise quarterback of the Buffalo Bills.

Doug Whaley signed Matt Cassel, and his ship has already sailed.

Rex Ryan personally "signed," (recruited) Tyrod Taylor - the most dynamic and explosive quarterback this franchise has had in the past 25 years.

Mace
11-11-2015, 06:07 PM
The only reason why Bill Belichick never has much to say is because he's been trying to hide something for 15 years.

Rex is going to be Rex. He's not a mealy mouthed wuss. He's loud, outspoken, and Irish.

I like where he has this team headed.

I think Rex Ryan uses a lot of sports psychology that goes right over the heads of most people.

This team is perfectly unpredictable.

Wasn't necessary for them to not be predictable and play not predictable week to week, that's not a hallmark of successful football teams.

McCarthy, Coughlin, Payton, never have much to say, Arians has a lot to say, knows when to dial it back, they know when to take care of business.

Psychology effect has them at 4-4 with 50% of their wins against the Dolphins, one against the flailing Colts and one against the flailing Titans. 3 losses are against good teams, one against a bad team, in 5 games in their rabid house they're 2-3 (they were even 5-3 under Marrone). Why would you like where this is heading ?

BillsImpossible
11-11-2015, 06:17 PM
Wasn't necessary for them to not be predictable and play not predictable week to week, that's not a hallmark of successful football teams.

McCarthy, Coughlin, Payton, never have much to say, Arians has a lot to say, knows when to dial it back, they know when to take care of business.

Psychology effect has them at 4-4 with 50% of their wins against the Dolphins, one against the flailing Colts and one against the flailing Titans. 3 losses are against good teams, one against a bad team, in 5 games in their rabid house they're 2-3 (they were even 5-3 under Marrone). Why would you like where this is heading ?

They're gaining momentum, as MC Hammer would say.

Seriously, this team looks like the healthiest they've been all season and it showed last week.

They have an explosive offense.

Take away 2 starts from EJ Manuel, and the Bills would probably be 5-3 today - the same record they had at this time last year.

I'll take the 4-4 2015 Bills over the 5-3 2014 Bills any day.

illusionone
11-12-2015, 05:47 PM
**DISCLAIMER** I am a Patriots Fan.

I came to this site to see what the Bills fans thought of Rex Ryan through the first 8 games of the season. Think what you want of the cheating allegations of the Patriots, but I have always liked the way BB has managed this team and did not make himself bigger than the team. It frustrates me to see the way Rex conducts himself and makes the team out to be a bunch of Ass Clowns. On paper the Bills should have been a solid team this year and it is a shame that they hired Rex over a more qualified, disciplined coach. I do agree that he stepped into a team without a solid QB, but he walked into, what could have been, one of the best defenses in the league and is destroying it.

I'm hopeful that the team turns things around - as stated above, I'm a Patriots Fan, but I also love football and appreaciate watching competitive games. The NFL is watered down these days.

Best of luck,

-illusionone

Mace
11-12-2015, 05:51 PM
They're gaining momentum, as MC Hammer would say.

Seriously, this team looks like the healthiest they've been all season and it showed last week.

They have an explosive offense.

You lied to me and told me they needed a catapult to succeed, you mean person.

Mace
11-12-2015, 05:53 PM
**DISCLAIMER** I am a Patriots Fan.

I came to this site to see what the Bills fans thought of Rex Ryan through the first 8 games of the season. Think what you want of the cheating allegations of the Patriots, but I have always liked the way BB has managed this team and did not make himself bigger than the team. It frustrates me to see the way Rex conducts himself and makes the team out to be a bunch of Ass Clowns. On paper the Bills should have been a solid team this year and it is a shame that they hired Rex over a more qualified, disciplined coach. I do agree that he stepped into a team without a solid QB, but he walked into, what could have been, one of the best defenses in the league and is destroying it.

I'm hopeful that the team turns things around - as stated above, I'm a Patriots Fan, but I also love football and appreaciate watching competitive games. The NFL is watered down these days.

Best of luck,

-illusionone

You're not treading on my tootsies. I wish we had Belichick and you had Ryan.

BillsImpossible
11-12-2015, 05:56 PM
You lied to me and told me they needed a catapult to succeed, you mean person.

Looks like the catapult just got launched.

So much for catapults.

Mace
11-12-2015, 06:03 PM
Looks like the catapult just got launched.

So much for catapults.

Trebuchets are the solution.