PDA

View Full Version : My concerns about Tyrod

Forward_Lateral
11-13-2015, 05:02 AM
Takes forever to get the play called, and by the time they get to the line, there's only 10 seconds or so. Not enough time. Have to do better with this. He also needs to do better reading the field. Several times Woods was open and Tyrod either didn't even look, or opted to run, etc. Needs to do better with this.

I don't know if Roman needs to get the plays in quicker, or if Tyrod needs to be quicker getting the play and then breaking the huddle, or if it's a bit of both. I hope they see it as an area that needs improvement and they work on it.

Other than that, WWWWWWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

YardRat
11-13-2015, 05:08 AM
I was so frustrated with how late they were getting to the line last night, it just got exasperating.

ICRockets
11-13-2015, 06:15 AM
Yeah, we're gonna need to shore up whatever communication issues we've got before these next 2 games at Gillette and Arrowhead. It's about to get even harder than it was last night.

trapezeus
11-13-2015, 06:25 AM
He's also simply not consistent. Yes they are in the playoff hunt, but if the offense is going to disappear for long stretches where all they do is 3 and out, this offense isn't designed to win consistently bits designed to have a few big plays here and there.

I I don't have a lot of faith going into foxboro. But most of that is because the patriots cheat.

ghz in pittsburgh
11-13-2015, 06:29 AM
Two words: game manager.

Have seen him 7 games now and I believe even our own coaching staff is still trying to figure him out. To me I don't see a franchise QB material (mainly vision, anticipation, and height), BUT, he's very safe with the ball (compared to our last 3 QBs, Fitz Manuel, Orton, all of them have balls going through defenders' hands every game), accurate (in terms of ball placement) and strong arm, better than average long balls, and of course, the threat of his legs. Health might be a bigger threat to his career.

In the short term, he needs to improve 3rd down and short conversion ratio. I'm afraid that I have to say I have more confidence in the since-departed Cassel in that category than either him or Manuel right now.

RandolphDuke
11-13-2015, 06:44 AM
The time management aspect is a combination of TT and the coaching staff. That needs to get hammered out next week in practice. The lack of timeouts really hamstrung them.

I'm also concerned about the wear and tear on Tyrod. In the pro game, it's pretty dumb to run a bunch of called QB draws. Scrambling is one thing, but intentionally putting your qb in harms way seems pretty dumd.

Topas
11-13-2015, 07:07 AM
My main beef with Tyrod is that he does not throw intermediate patterns. And especially not to the middle of the field. His only long passes are down the sideline. Nothing in the seams. That will get exposed if it keeps that one-dimensional.
Maybe this is a height thing. I hope not, because his height will not increase with more experience.

Mr. Miyagi
11-13-2015, 07:23 AM
Takes forever to get the play called, and by the time they get to the line, there's only 10 seconds or so. Not enough time. Have to do better with this. He also needs to do better reading the field. Several times Woods was open and Tyrod either didn't even look, or opted to run, etc. Needs to do better with this.

I don't know if Roman needs to get the plays in quicker, or if Tyrod needs to be quicker getting the play and then breaking the huddle, or if it's a bit of both. I hope they see it as an area that needs improvement and they work on it.

Agreed. I like the WWWWWWWOOOOOOOOO that Tyrod does.

ghz in pittsburgh
11-13-2015, 07:43 AM
My main beef with Tyrod is that he does not throw intermediate patterns. And especially not to the middle of the field. His only long passes are down the sideline. Nothing in the seams. That will get exposed if it keeps that one-dimensional.
Maybe this is a height thing. I hope not, because his height will not increase with more experience.

He's short. Sorry but a fact. In contrast, EJ is better throwing to the middle and very bad throwing to the flank.

Forward_Lateral
11-13-2015, 07:44 AM
I'm not saying Tyrod sucks by any means. I just think he needs to improve on certain aspects. It's nice to be able to win and learn at the same time.

starrymessenger
11-13-2015, 07:47 AM
Bills' pre-snap prep and approach to the LOS on both sides of the ball is bad. Often the D was barely set if at all at the snap. Like they were still trying to figure out exactly what they were supposed to be doing. On O they weren't even lined up properly at times even burning TOs.
Tyrod needs to improve on this but even more importantly he needs to get the ball out quicker and throw with anticipation and not have to look his receivers open. He is missing on a lot of opportunities not being able to throw his guys open. Roman was calling some long developing plays/patterns to give him the time he needs to see where he is comfortable going with the ball. How much is lack of vision and how much lack of experience is the question that will have to be answered in due course.
It also looks to me that even going into the game and before taking any hits Tyrod is not 100%. His mobility/quickness is less than we have seen before. I think the left knee is a problem that he may have to play through possibly all year.

Jry44
11-13-2015, 07:55 AM

Don't think getting the play called was entirely on Taylor. He looked pretty damn frustrated on many occassions with how long it was taking to get the play in. And towards the end of the game they were trying to eat some time up.

This team is light years different with Taylor under center. He's not perfect by any means, however this system isn't one in which a qb is going to put up huge passing numbers. When this offense is clicking, you're going to see something more like what the Miami games have looked like. Pound the rock and then take your shots down the field.

Jry44
11-13-2015, 07:57 AM
He's short. Sorry but a fact. In contrast, EJ is better throwing to the middle and very bad throwing to the flank.

The only thing I ever want to see Ej ever throw again is the towel on his career as a Bill.

djjimkelly
11-13-2015, 08:00 AM
tyrod is a game manager not much more. he has made robert woods non existent.

Victor7
11-13-2015, 08:11 AM
Yesterday's game was frustrating on offense aside from Shady and Sammy

Confusion galore pre snap. It has to be a combo of Roman and Taylor but it has to get fixed.

Play calling wasn't at its best either. Roman is good. Not taking a **** on him. He just had a bad day yesterday IMO

justasportsfan
11-13-2015, 08:19 AM
He'd rather lose yards than get rid of the ball. He has a lot to learn . As far as I'm concerned he's a rookie in between his ears.

Victor7
11-13-2015, 08:31 AM
He'd rather lose yards than get rid of the ball. He has a lot to learn . As far as I'm concerned he's a rookie in between his ears.

That play was soooo bad. You have to be smart enough to throw it away. It killed that drive. Bills had all the momentum at that moment and ended up with 3 points instead of 7 that pretty much would've ended the game.

Buffalogic
11-13-2015, 08:37 AM
He needs to get better at getting the ball out when blitzed. He gets sacked a lot when facing the blitz. Needs to be smarter and throw the ball away if he's not going to get it to a receiver.

Pinkerton Security
11-13-2015, 08:54 AM
I agree hes not the most consistent guy in the world, and the playcall timing was super annoying.

However, Tyrod has started 7 games in his career - and this one against the Jets D that is fairly elite - and he has looked, for the most part, like a competent NFL QB. I'd definitely take him over Cassel, Orton, Manuel, Bledsoe, Trentative, Losman, etc, not that that is saying much. I just think hes a capable QB who has more learning to do and has some legit upside as a playmaker.

Mr. Pink
11-13-2015, 08:55 AM
He's simply not an NFL QB.

Typ0
11-13-2015, 08:56 AM
I agree with a lot of issues being presented here but on another note as I watched the game last night I thought Taylor was the real deal. By this I mean he plays competent and smart. He's not going to have a good period at the beginning then wane because people figured him out. He has got to improve in some areas but the great stats he is putting up are for a reason....

Meathead
11-13-2015, 09:00 AM
id take bledsoe over him but not by much. definitely better than any others in that list. the great thing about him is hes good at ball protection. still he needs to work on some stuff to get to the next level. not sure how much hes gonna improve by playing more but he needs to if he wants the big franchise contract

Bill Cody
11-13-2015, 09:06 AM
Roman is not getting the plays in quickly enough period. That's on him.

But the part of Tyrod's game that concerns me is pretty basic, throwing from the pocket. He looks tiny in the pocket because well he is small. He can't see anything so he gets spooked and tries to escape, often into a rushers arms. That's the problem with midget QB's. I don't think you can run a standard pro offense with Tyrod. Something that might work is the old Denver offense under Shanahan but that offense won't work with our OL, you need smaller more mobile OLmen. I think Tyrod is talented but last night showed he can be stopped by a good defense.

Pinkerton Security
11-13-2015, 09:33 AM
He's simply not an NFL QB.
What a well thought out and explained post!

ghz in pittsburgh
11-13-2015, 09:34 AM
Let's just hope Whaley and Rex do not make the same mistake Nix and Chan made -- satisfied with a flawed product when they gave Fitz the contract and NOT looking for upgrade in the draft.

I feel strongly that they need to draft a QB 2016 1st or 2nd round and sit him.

alohabillsfan
11-13-2015, 10:09 AM
Tyrod is 5-2, I'll take it

- - - Updated - - -

Tyrod is 5-2, I'll take it

WagonCircler
11-13-2015, 10:36 AM
Tyrod doesn't suck. In fact, he's a couple of notches above replacement level. I'd give him a 7 out of 10.

The problem is, Doug Whaley sees a 7 as a reason to stop looking for a 10.

And that sucks.

Jry44
11-13-2015, 01:12 PM
Tyrod doesn't suck. In fact, he's a couple of notches above replacement level. I'd give him a 7 out of 10.

The problem is, Doug Whaley sees a 7 as a reason to stop looking for a 10.

And that sucks.

Have you been watching college football? The days of finding 10's immediately coming into the league are over thanks to the spread option. These kids coming out now can't even identify a MIKE linebacker because they aren't required to. Not saying that we should settle on a 7, but a 7 is as good as its going to get if you don't have a stud already. The NFL is going to look drastically different in another 5 to 10 years from now.

YardRat
11-13-2015, 06:38 PM
The only thing I ever want to see Ej ever throw again is the towel on his career as a Bill.

I would put him into the game the next time the Bills get the ball with two or three minutes left in the first half. Dead serious.

TacklingDummy
11-14-2015, 06:00 AM

He's made most WR non existent. Watkins has 1 fluke game, the following week he does nothing. Just like hes done all season.

Jry44
11-14-2015, 07:11 AM
He's made most WR non existent. Watkins has 1 fluke game, the following week he does nothing. Just like hes done all season.

Please keep the "dummy" in your user name. It's way too fitting.

starrymessenger
11-14-2015, 08:08 AM

Well what a lot of people said we needed was a good game manager who did not turn the ball over. Looks like that's what we've got at the very least. Plus if his problems with anticipating coverages, throwing from the pocket and looking his receivers open can be corrected with experience he has upside.

Oh I get it! You want HOFmer Jim Kelly! Hard to argue with that I guess, so you must be right.

WagonCircler
11-14-2015, 09:25 AM
Oh I get it! You want HOFmer Jim Kelly!.

If only we could take material from his gene pool and create a virtual clone of him, then send that clone to an SEC school for training.

Oh, wait...

starrymessenger
11-14-2015, 09:32 AM
If only we could take material from his gene pool and create a virtual clone of him, then send that clone to an SEC school for training.

Oh, wait...

Havent seen much of him but really enjoyed his game vs Arkansas. Looks like a tough minded, gritty guy.

IlluminatusUIUC
11-14-2015, 09:40 AM
Two words: game manager.

Do you guys even know what game manager means? He's top 5 in the league in Yards per Attempt, for cryin' out loud.

Taylor is many things, but he is not a game manager.

starrymessenger
11-14-2015, 10:24 AM
Do you guys even know what game manager means? He's top 5 in the league in Yards per Attempt, for cryin' out loud.

Taylor is many things, but he is not a game manager.

He's a game manager who also has the ability to be a playmaker.
He's a game manager because the Bills O has him mainly getting the ball into his playmakers' hands, because Roman's basic scheme is power run, because ideally his passing is limited to a low number of attempts, because Roman's play calling for Tyrod is strongly influenced by the desire to avoid turnovers, because there are (for now) major holes in his game that prevent him from qualifying as a franchise type guy.

Albany,n.y.
11-14-2015, 12:21 PM

At least he doesn't consider the other team's DBs part of his receiving corps, nor does he view their LBs as his TEs: like EJ does.

TacklingDummy
11-14-2015, 02:18 PM
Please keep the "dummy" in your user name. It's way too fitting.

Minus the 1 fluke game.

Colts: 0 Rec, 0 yards, 0 TDs
NE: 6 Rec, 60 yards, 1 TD
Miami: 1 Rec, 39 yards, 0 TDs
Jets: 3 Rec, 14 yards, 0 TDs

Grand Total for 4 games: 10 Rec, 113 yards, 1 TD

Woods 7 game total with Tyrod.

20 Rec., 270 yards, 1 TD

Tyrod is awesome.

Who's the "dummy" now? BOOM mic drop...

YardRat
11-14-2015, 02:27 PM
I think Woods has 16 catches with Tyrod.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/gamelog/_/id/15880/robert-woods

TacklingDummy
11-15-2015, 01:24 PM

Thanks, that's even worse.

stuckincincy
11-15-2015, 01:29 PM

Please remember my thread...the one bashing me, in the main, when I posited that at 1st opportunity, Woods will leave. :soap:

Jry44
11-15-2015, 05:24 PM
Minus the 1 fluke game.

Colts: 0 Rec, 0 yards, 0 TDs
NE: 6 Rec, 60 yards, 1 TD
Miami: 1 Rec, 39 yards, 0 TDs
Jets: 3 Rec, 14 yards, 0 TDs

Grand Total for 4 games: 10 Rec, 113 yards, 1 TD

Woods 7 game total with Tyrod.

20 Rec., 270 yards, 1 TD

Tyrod is awesome.

Who's the "dummy" now? BOOM mic drop...

My two year old drops his fisher price mic all the time also. Don't worry big guy, it doesn't break.

Boom

My eyes tell me that your stats don't mean jack ****. And your opinions mean even less if you honestly think he's a bust in any sense. And do you not realize how completely ansurd it is to cherry pick your own stats to customize an argument?

PromoTheRobot
11-15-2015, 09:01 PM

Maybe you missed the story that his helmet radio wasn't working?

IlluminatusUIUC
11-16-2015, 11:34 AM
He's a game manager who also has the ability to be a playmaker.
He's a game manager because the Bills O has him mainly getting the ball into his playmakers' hands, because Roman's basic scheme is power run, because ideally his passing is limited to a low number of attempts, because Roman's play calling for Tyrod is strongly influenced by the desire to avoid turnovers, because there are (for now) major holes in his game that prevent him from qualifying as a franchise type guy.

A game manager is a QB that throws a lot of short passes and moves the chains but doesn't really give you many big plays. Alex Smith is the pinnacle of that philosophy. Tyrod doesn't consistently move the chains, but he does go for the jugular frequently. If he can get some touch into the intermediate areas then he has real potential, but right now he's boom or bust.