X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BillsFanCupp38
    • Mar 2004

Did anyone else catch this?

With about 1:10 left in the first half Taylor hit Clay for a 1 yard gain on 2nd and 10 and Clay was then pushed out of bounds but the clock did not stop and we lost about 40 seconds which could have given us the extra time we needed to score a touchdown. Am I missing something here? Correct me if I am wrong but isn't the clock supposed to stop when a ball carrier goes out of bounds when there is under 2 minutes? Maybe someone can explain that to me. Btw the stat sheet DOES say that Clay was pushed out of bounds.
    Jeremy Cupp
  • Famous Amos
    • Jul 2013

Re: Did anyone else catch this?

No idea. Also, it was curious how it seemed almost everyday theBills were snapping the ball with one or two seconds on offense. At times it looked like Taylor was annoyed or ticked off. Could be poor clock management or maybe there was something goingonwiththe play clock.
    "Hate is a lack of imagination."
    -Graham Greene

Comment

• Mr. Pink
      Peterman Sucks!
      • Mar 2006

If your forward progress is stopped before you get pushed out, you don't get credit for going out of bounds.

Don't know if that's what happened on the play, but if Clay was pushed sideways out or backwards out, it would be why the clock didn't stop.

Comment

• Mace
        Haha...yeah you think so ?
        • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Mr. Pink View Post
        If your forward progress is stopped before you get pushed out, you don't get credit for going out of bounds.

Don't know if that's what happened on the play, but if Clay was pushed sideways out or backwards out, it would be why the clock didn't stop.
        Thanks. The change continues to baffle me. Almost seems random to me most times. Now at least I know what to watch for.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
          Peterman Sucks!
          • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Mace View Post
          Thanks. The change continues to baffle me. Almost seems random to me most times. Now at least I know what to watch for.
          The rule has been going on for at least 5 seasons now, don't know when it was actually implemented.

And forward progress is completely up to the interpretation of a ref sometimes, so it's not 100% consistent, just like everything else with forward progress and QBs in the grasp.

Comment

• Mace
            Haha...yeah you think so ?
            • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Mr. Pink View Post
            The rule has been going on for at least 5 seasons now, don't know when it was actually implemented.

And forward progress is completely up to the interpretation of a ref sometimes, so it's not 100% consistent, just like everything else with forward progress and QBs in the grasp.
            I'm evidently oblivious, I was less baffled last year. Anyway, you nailed it :

Comment

• YardRat
              Well, lookie here...
              • Dec 2004

Even though forward progress can be a factor, if that is the rationalization for running the clock it was a ****ty call by the ref. The clock should have stopped, I certainly wouldn't consider a shove that accelerates a ballcarrier's momentum going out of bounds as having his forward progress stopped.
              YardRat Wall of Fame
              #56 DARRYL TALLEY
              #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

Working...
              X