PDA

View Full Version : Mario/Kyle Williams, Lawson, McKelvin

more cowbell
11-16-2015, 03:18 PM
All of these guys will not be on the roster next season. I just looked at their cap numbers, cap savings...and the Bills current cap situation, and I cant see any possible way they are back. (source: Over The Cap)

As it stands right now the Bills have $119,385 in cap room for the 2016 season. YIKES.

Mario Williams cap hit = 19.9 mil - If cut (June 1), 14.5 mil savings

Leodis McKelvin cap hit = 4.9 mil - If cut, 3.9 mil savings

Manny Lawson cap hit = 3.4 mil - If cut, 2.65 savings

Kyle Williams cap hit = 8 mil - If cut (June 1), 6.5 mil savings

Minus those 4 players, that is 27.6 million in cap room

It will suck saying bye to Mario....it will REALLY suck saying bye to Kyle. But at the end of the day, there are guys who need to be locked up on this roster such as Gilmore. This team also needs to re-sign Incognito, and figure out how to improve their offensive line. Whether that means keeping or not keeping Cordy Glenn will be a tough decision. He will definitely get more money on the open market than he is worth.

Going to be a very different looking defense next year up front...

ICRockets
11-16-2015, 03:38 PM
You know people restructure their contracts all the time in the NFL, right?

Albany,n.y.
11-16-2015, 03:44 PM
Most likely to go is McKelvin because he's already been replaced by Darby.

BertSquirtgum
11-16-2015, 04:00 PM
All of these guys will not be on the roster next season. I just looked at their cap numbers, cap savings...and the Bills current cap situation, and I cant see any possible way they are back. (source: Over The Cap)

As it stands right now the Bills have $119,385 in cap room for the 2016 season. YIKES.

It will suck saying bye to Mario....it will REALLY suck saying bye to Kyle. But at the end of the day, there are guys who need to be locked up on this roster such as Gilmore. This team also needs to re-sign Incognito, and figure out how to improve their offensive line. Whether that means keeping or not keeping Cordy Glenn will be a tough decision. He will definitely get more money on the open market than he is worth.

Nope

BillsOwnAll
11-16-2015, 04:07 PM
The bills are in the midst of their best chance at a playoff run in 15 years and people are worried about next offseason. Hence why this board has gone downhill.

more cowbell
11-16-2015, 04:59 PM
You know people restructure their contracts all the time in the NFL, right?

Fully aware. Kyle Williams has already restructured, and has one year left on his deal.

Mario Williams has a 20 mil cap hit? Would love to see a restructure there but that's going to be tough...

- - - Updated - - -

Well said.

more cowbell
11-16-2015, 05:06 PM
Nope

Oh yeah that's right. I forgot you were the know it all on this board.

I forgot to consult you and your intelligence before posting this. Please accept my deepest apologies, and eat a dick sandwich.

Go Bills.

IlluminatusUIUC
11-16-2015, 05:12 PM
A Mario re-structure seems like a given at this point (unless we could somehow deal him). Lawson is seriously meh, he can go. Leodis I wouldn't mind keeping but it would be hard to justify if we could upgrade another position. Kyle would be painful. He might accept a restructure and a demotion to a rotational role, who knows. He clearly is having trouble standing up to a full season's workload.

Another few names who probably won't see their whole deals are Boobie Dixon and Kraig Urbik.

BertSquirtgum
11-16-2015, 05:52 PM
The bills are in the midst of their best chance at a playoff run in 15 years and people are worried about next offseason. Hence why this board has gone downhill.

Makes absolutely no sense why anyone would worried about this **** at the half way point of the season.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh yeah that's right. I forgot you were the know it all on this board.

I forgot to consult you and your intelligence before posting this. Please accept my deepest apologies, and eat a dick sandwich.

Go Bills.

Enjoy this season and worry about next season when next season comes ricardo dick fingers.

Turf
11-16-2015, 05:53 PM
Mario has been underwhelming this season. If I could get out of 20 million next year with him being a year older I would unless he picks it up.

Ingtar33
11-16-2015, 06:16 PM
Mario has been underwhelming this season. If I could get out of 20 million next year with him being a year older I would unless he picks it up.

he's not worth 20 mil while being asked to cover running backs. he's not an OLB, even pettine didn't play him at OLB. yet that's where Rex has him. as crazy as it sounds, rex has actually taken a solid 10+ sack a year DE and turned him into a mediocre 3-4 OLB, who might scrape up 6 sacks if he's lucky. as long as this continues to be the plan, we'll be overpaying for Mario Williams badly no matter what he resigns for.

I'm never for cutting sacks from your roster, you can live without tacklers, but not sackers, but right now he's just an overpaid OLB.

YardRat
11-16-2015, 08:36 PM
It's OK to talk about the off season right now, because just as we expect the real GM to be working on it at the moment, so should the armchair GM's.

McKelvin probably is gone. If the team will cut FJax for cap room, they certainly wouldn't blink at doing the same to Kyle. I agree with what Ingtar said re:Mario, but I'm not surprised. I do, however, disagree about Lawson. IMO he played an excellent game against NYJ after Mario got sick, and truth be known he's probably a better fit for this defense than either MW or Hughes.

Night Train
11-17-2015, 04:59 AM
They'd be silly to consider letting Lawson go. No matter where he lines up, he hustles and plays very well. That cap number on him is cheap.

The others I get.

coastal
11-17-2015, 05:15 AM
Mario Williams... lol.

Meathead
11-17-2015, 05:18 AM
agreed on lawson. but hes gonna be 32 next season and might be replaced for a younger/cheaper body. rex gushes about tarpley any time it comes up, might be time to get him in the lineup

freddie wasnt let go for cap reasons, he was let go bc he wasnt worth the roster spot. he is at best a part time 3rd down back that this team didnt need. love freddie but love is blind and logic isnt

somebody big for sure isnt going to be on the team next season. too many young guys need to get paid. maybe we should play a game of contract ejection death pool

k-oneputt
11-17-2015, 06:47 AM
Gilmore is getting paid. Glenn is gone. Use early draft pick on OT.

trapezeus
11-17-2015, 09:09 AM
To me, Mario only restructures if the team actually gets into the playoffs and he sees that they are building. Otherwise, he can get released and picked up.

He he has spent years on bad teams or nonplayoff teams. I think if they miss the playoffs he'll balk at restructuring. And if they get to playoffs and win one, he'll do his part to keep the team together.

Novacane
11-17-2015, 10:31 AM
I wouldn't even try and restructure Mario. Just cut him.

coastal
11-17-2015, 10:43 AM
To me, Mario only restructures if the team actually gets into the playoffs and he sees that they are building. Otherwise, he can get released and picked up.

He he has spent years on bad teams or nonplayoff teams. I think if they miss the playoffs he'll balk at restructuring. And if they get to playoffs and win one, he'll do his part to keep the team together.
Mario Williams could give a rat's ass if he ever wins a football game.

Homegrown
11-17-2015, 11:40 AM

LOL ... guys sign for where they get paid the most ... Williams is the poster boy for that - he left a perpetual losing team (Texans) for an other (Bills) because of the $'s

trapezeus
11-17-2015, 02:45 PM
Coastal's opinion is worthless

and to homegrown, I am not convinced that he isn't simply a gun for hire. But remember when he was signed he had Kyle pitch him what the d could do. There were signs that the d could be a big strength. So perhaps it's a level of seeing what a strong d could do. And maybe it wa to simply sign $100mm. But we've also seen people sign huge contracts and then just not show up. He has been incredibly productive. Literally no respective mag, website, reporter thinks he's a bust per coastal's useless ramblings.

Regardless ss of his disposition, he isn't entertaining the thought without knowing the team was a playoff team. If the bills threaten to cut him, it would be to his advantage.

IlluminatusUIUC
11-17-2015, 03:31 PM
Coastal's opinion is worthless

and to homegrown, I am not convinced that he isn't simply a gun for hire. But remember when he was signed he had Kyle pitch him what the d could do. There were signs that the d could be a big strength. So perhaps it's a level of seeing what a strong d could do. And maybe it wa to simply sign $100mm. But we've also seen people sign huge contracts and then just not show up. He has been incredibly productive. Literally no respective mag, website, reporter thinks he's a bust per coastal's useless ramblings.

Regardless ss of his disposition, he isn't entertaining the thought without knowing the team was a playoff team. If the bills threaten to cut him, it would be to his advantage.

He was also promised that he could play a 4-3 left defensive end, as I recall. And he's been asked to play 3-4 backer twice now. I wonder if that affects his decision.

Victor7
11-17-2015, 06:14 PM
Lawson's hit is not that big. But if he does move on its not a big deal at all. A role player at best.

Leodis is in dire danger though. With Darby's emergence its hard to see us keeping him at that price.

Mario will most likely restructure.

Kyle should too. Otherwise he's at risk of being released. I would hate to see him go. Fred and then Kyle back to back ? Ouch.

Boobie shouldn't even be on the roster today and Urbik is solid depth but might also be on his way out.

k-oneputt
11-17-2015, 06:23 PM
I really don't get the Boobie thing either. He's not a bad special teamer but he isn't outstanding either.

BertSquirtgum
11-17-2015, 07:28 PM
Mario Williams could give a rat's ass if he ever wins a football game.

Really?

X-Era
11-18-2015, 05:26 AM

Spotrac is the site that I look at:

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cap/2016/

They have Mario at 19.9 cap hit with 7 in dead cap if cut. That means the savings is 12.9

I think:

Mario restructures- To something more like a 9 or 10 cap hit
Kyle may retire or needs a restructure with a cut- To something like 5 in cap hit; down from 8
McKelvin could easily be gone- If Williams was healthy he'd be likely benched right now. Saves 3.9 (4.9 cap hit - 1 mill dead)

Those moves would free up (9.9+3+3.9)= 16.8

Thats before the Clay contract... THe deal was purposely loaded into the 2016 year to prevent the Fins from matching. The 2016 year is the year to restructure. They don't have to do it and would benefit from the savings in future years. But, they could do it. I'm picturing a cap hit of 7 or 8 which is inline with the top 10 cap hits at the TE position in 2016. That would save another 5.

That puts us at 21.8 in savings before any other moves and keeps Mario, Kyle, and Clay.

Lawson is probably gone, I agree. However, it's only a 2.65 savings so keeping him to fight for the starting job with a rookie may make sense. Depth is very important.
Since the cap savings would be 0 for cutting Harvin (cap hit and cap savings are both 2) it may make no sense to cut him
Urbik is 2.6ish with only a savings of 1.8 if cut so I think this comes down to a young player taking his backup spot and him being a cut for that reason. At that price he should be cut only if someone better supplants him.
Dixon would only give us a 1.2 savings so like Urbik you cut him if someone steals his job.

I see a clear path to gaining as much as 20 or so mill in cap room without any major losses. Add in the rollover of around 8 mill(current cap room) and the boost in cap to possibly 150 mill which adds another 6 mill and we could see up to 30 or so mill in cap room.

With that much room they may be hesitant to make some of the aforementioned changes. They'd pay bonuses to convert the contracts to get the savings. They may choose to not change much of anything, roll the 8 mill in, add the 6 in when the cap goes up to 150 and just sit tight with the 14 or so in new cap room.

Not what I want them to do but they could.

The Glenn situation is the most precarious to me. Bradham is average at best and I feel we can replace him through the draft or FA without a huge risk. LT is different though. It's a critical position. I don't want Glenn paid top 15 LT money. I want him kept at like 6 or 7 mill in cap hit. And I could easily see him walking for that. And then we're left with a gaping hole at a position thats critical, where the FA cost is high for a good one, and it's often a challenge to draft a rookie and get him to play like a solid starter right away. Especially at RT vs. LT.

Then comes Incognito. I really want him resigned to maybe as much as 6 mill per. If we keep Glenn and Icognito at the figures I'm proposing we spend all the additional 14 mill.

IlluminatusUIUC
11-18-2015, 10:04 AM
Since the cap savings would be 0 for cutting Harvin (cap hit and cap savings are both 2) it may make no sense to cut him

Spotrac is not listing Harvin's contract correctly on the team page. They are showing his cap hit at $2 million on the assumption that we void his contract (a good one), but they listed him as a live contract instead of dead money. Harvin has a $9 million base salary the next two years, if he stayed his live cap hit would be $10 million. There's no chance of that, we've seen his last snap under this deal. The only way he returns is if we void his deal, he finds no interest on the market and we sign him back ala Matt Cassel.

The King
11-18-2015, 10:49 AM
What about Felton that contract is a massive waste too. Kyle has already said hes not playing anywhere else, he will restructure or retire.

IlluminatusUIUC
11-18-2015, 03:14 PM
What about Felton that contract is a massive waste too

I'm not big on blocking fullbacks, but Felton's been playing well

Mace
11-18-2015, 03:54 PM

I don't agree. I mean I don't really think they're playing all that consistent and great and I can comfort myself to some degree by thinking theoretically they should do better in the 2nd year of new systems, more exp for younger players in those systems, etc. I don't see them being a Super Bowl contender and if you want them to be next offseason has to exist. Never really knew anyone who did well not thinking about tomorrow.

That said, I think Mario and Kyle restructure unless they don't want to be here in Ryan's flavor of defense, should be able to replace Lawson in the draft, and I think McKelvin has already been replaced.

It's GM'ing time for Whaley/Overdorf (Overdorf contracts & cap) or whoever they replace him with if it goes south.

That also said, it wouldn't surprise me if they remake the roster in Ryan's image, which would aggravate me but no helping it.

Mace
11-18-2015, 03:58 PM
I'm not big on blocking fullbacks, but Felton's been playing well

I was just reading somewhere they don't use him much at all. http://bills.buffalonews.com/2015/11/05/role-felton-envisioned-in-bills-just-hasnt-happened/

Doesn't mean much though yet. The last 6 games are going to be the measuring stick for everything.

IlluminatusUIUC
11-18-2015, 04:05 PM
I was just reading somewhere they don't use him much at all. http://bills.buffalonews.com/2015/11/05/role-felton-envisioned-in-bills-just-hasnt-happened/

Doesn't mean much though yet. The last 6 games are going to be the measuring stick for everything.

We spent the Bengals, Giants, Pats, and most of the Jaguars game down points, so the fullback is likely to be subbed out in that case for another wideout. In the Miami game, when we were stepping on their throat for most of the day, he got 30 snaps.

Mace
11-18-2015, 05:03 PM
We spent the Bengals, Giants, Pats, and most of the Jaguars game down points, so the fullback is likely to be subbed out in that case for another wideout. In the Miami game, when we were stepping on their throat for most of the day, he got 30 snaps.

I had high hopes for Felton, like I said, last 6 games are the measuring stick then you can look at 16 games of whether or not a guy making multiple millions should be so easily subbed out or play so few snaps as it pans out.

It's not that Felton isn't any good, it's that he's not an integral part of things (they don't use him so much for whatever reason) at this point and makes multiple millions when you're looking at cap issues. Before the Miami game they said he's playing less than a 3rd of McCoy's attempts. They paid him, they need to use him, or they aren't getting bang for their buck and can save it.

If it was up to me I'd even run the guy for that kind of money in short yardage unless he can't run, in which case I still say give a developmental lineman a fullback role and you have 6 on the field for rushing attempts, pass blocking or screens.