PDA

View Full Version : NHL ASG to be played 3 on 3 FOR THE WHOLE GAME!

DetDannyWilliams
11-18-2015, 03:51 PM
Every few years, the NHL likes to mix things up with their All-Star Game format, and according to TSN's Bob McKenzie, changes are coming for 2016.
McKenzie reported Tuesday night on Insider Trading (http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/insider-trading~752250) that this January in Nashville the NHL will implement three 20-minute 3-on-3 divisional tournaments in lieu of a 60-minute 5-on-5 game.
They will also reportedly forgo the fantasy player draft run by a crew of individual team captains.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nhl/allstar/2015/11/17/nhl-all-star-game-3-on-3-divisional-tournament/75970168/

OpIv37
11-18-2015, 08:17 PM
All stars playing 60 min of 3 on 3? We may see 40 goals.

casdhf
11-19-2015, 06:46 AM
It says 20 minute games ...

OpIv37
11-19-2015, 07:20 AM
It says 20 minute games ...

3 of them, so it's still 60 min

gebobs
11-19-2015, 08:28 AM
Let me know how it goes. Yet again, I won't be watching. Or any other stupid all-star game in any sport. The only sport it works well in is baseball.

mightysimi
11-19-2015, 11:55 AM
Picking the teams is going to be tough if everyone must be represented.

DetDannyWilliams
11-21-2015, 12:32 PM
Let me know how it goes. Yet again, I won't be watching. Or any other stupid all-star game in any sport. The only sport it works well in is baseball.

The goal is to infuse something into the all-star game, without going to the lengths that Major League Baseball has. The MLB all-star game decides home-field advantage in the World Series.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/2015/11/18/nhl-changes-all-star-game-format-to-adopt-three-on-three-play.html

POTLAND PSILBYLO
11-21-2015, 01:56 PM

If you ask me the NHL has created a monster. I can't take my eyes off 3v3 - exciting as hell. Should it become the new regulation format? Yes, I say. Fok you, traditionalists.

denverboz
11-21-2015, 07:04 PM
NHL is just throwing a bunch of **** against the wall and hoping some of it sticks.

3 on 3 isn't even hockey.

That stupid ****ing shoot out is bad enough.

YardRat
11-21-2015, 07:08 PM
If you ask me the NHL has created a monster. I can't take my eyes off 3v3 - exciting as hell. Should it become the new regulation format? Yes, I say. Fok you, traditionalists.

5 on 5 in the first, 4 on 4 in the second, 3 on 3 in the third.

gebobs
11-23-2015, 06:34 AM
NHL is just throwing a bunch of **** against the wall and hoping some of it sticks.

3 on 3 isn't even hockey.

That stupid ****ing shoot out is bad enough.
3-on-3 really does blow.

gebobs
11-23-2015, 06:52 AM
The goal is to infuse something into the all-star game, without going to the lengths that Major League Baseball has. The MLB all-star game decides home-field advantage in the World Series.
And rightly so. That was a great move. Barring anything stupid like Pete Rose barreling over Ray Fosse, baseball is a sport that is designed for an all-star format.

Firstly, it's relatively non-contact even at the highest level of play. Secondly, it's a team sport comprised of microcosms of individual play: pitcher vs. batter, batter vs. fielder, runner vs. catcher. What teamwork there is can be easily coordinated between players with about 3900 seconds of practice. MLB all-star games were the first and, for the reasons above, remain the best by far. What better way to award home-field in the Series? What better way to inject some meaning into the Summer Classic.

By comparison, contact is integral to the other major league sports, especially football and hockey. Try and get those guys to perform in a meaningless game at the level they would for even a non-conference opponent in September. You can't do it. And really who wants them to?

Teamwork is also integral to the sports, far more than in baseball. You can't throw together 5 guys on a line with even a few practices and expect them to perform at even a preseason level. The penalty kill in hockey requires precise movements that need lots of practice and familiarity.

3-on-3 is fun for a few minutes. I'd hate to watch it for longer than that. It's barely hockey. It'll be about as fun to watch as 1-on-1 basketball.

POTLAND PSILBYLO
11-23-2015, 02:23 PM
3v3 is perfectly fine. Just because Dougie, Gordie and Howie had a couple dumbass friends who can skate doesn't mean God mandated 5v5. Quit your whining and let's watch some ice skates hold the puck on the dasher. Love it.

- - - Updated - - -

3-on-3 really does blow away 5-on-5

Ha!