PDA

View Full Version : Torell Troup: the one drafted a pick ahead of Rob Gronkowski

Mace
11-22-2015, 05:44 PM
It's easy to look at the shallow bottom line, tougher to read about the results. Another excellent Tyler Dunne article. I feel bad for Troup, hope it ends up ok for him. A good read to appreciate what the pros go through trying to be pros, and what happens if they get damaged and can't.

Whenever Troup visits the doctor these days, he’s surrounded by senior citizens. His surgery is most common in 60- and 70-year-olds.

He’s not elbow-locking Tom Brady after touchdowns; he’s praying the pain will subside knowing full well his back is probably shot for life.

“They say it’s hard to be a normal person with the surgery I had,” Troup said, “let alone a football player.”

When he wakes up each morning, everything aches more and more. His feet. His arms. Troup still feels that burning down his legs. Doctors told him that if this sensation hasn’t dissipated by now, it never will. Troup fully expects to undergo “at least” one or two more back surgeries.

Even then, he is sincerely upbeat. Downright jovial. Despite everything, Troup’s voice is spiked with optimism.

He’s not bitter, he’s blunt.

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2015/11/21/torell-troup-one-pick-ahead-of-gronk/

YardRat
11-22-2015, 07:27 PM
I liked the Troup pick at the time, I'll admit it. I know there are a few that lament we passed over Gronk for him, but in all honesty I can't remember anybody pimping to snag the TE in the second round. Hindsight being 20-20, of course everybody would make the switch today. Ironically enough the main reason Gronk dropped into the Pats' laps was his own back issues.

BuffaloRedleg
11-22-2015, 08:51 PM
Sad article. Yes I know he was paid well and we've all got problems, but yeah. Real bummer.

Homegrown
11-23-2015, 11:14 AM
Leif Olve Dolonen Larsen ... I wonder where he is today?...His Linkedin profile is AWOL

kingJofNYC
11-23-2015, 12:05 PM
Feel for the guy. Sad that he's in such bad shape. Such a brutal sport, modern day gladiators.

Victor7
11-23-2015, 12:08 PM
Feel bad for Torrel. Not so much for Buddy Nix who ****ed up this move along with a gazillion more.

MillsapsBillsFan
11-23-2015, 01:24 PM
I liked the Troup pick at the time, I'll admit it. I know there are a few that lament we passed over Gronk for him, but in all honesty I can't remember anybody pimping to snag the TE in the second round. Hindsight being 20-20, of course everybody would make the switch today. Ironically enough the main reason Gronk dropped into the Pats' laps was his own back issues.
I remember wanting Troup too, but I also remember thinking that we would get him in the 3rd round. I wanted Gronk too (especially after I found out he was from Buffalo), but its not like I was super upset with not getting Gronk at the time. Oh Well, just hope the guy can get healthy for his sake. Makes me wonder what his career might have been if he wasn't pressured or if he just hadn't played through the back injuries

Night Train
11-23-2015, 01:31 PM
Gronk was fighting constant injuries in college.

Not an excuse but an explanation why he was picked later than he should have been.

OpIv37
11-23-2015, 01:41 PM
The problem is we are just fans. There are people who get paid a lot of money to make the right pick. Drafting is not an exact science, and obviously the FO can't be held responsible for a post- draft injury if the player has no injury history.

But the teams that win are the ones that get it right a hell of a lot more than they get it wrong. We haven't had that for far too long, including when Troup was drafted.

swiper
11-23-2015, 05:04 PM
The legend of Tom Donahoe lives on.

Mike
11-23-2015, 05:30 PM

If you go by Hindsight bring 20/20 that you should admit the Bills FO screwed up in drafting him as MOST experts had him a round later and a number of other available players -like Gronk- rated way ahead of him.

Unfortunetly the Bills and most of their fans lacked even hindsight!

PS: I was very vocally against this pick and numerous posters justified it one way or the other and continue to do so.

Mike
11-23-2015, 05:31 PM
The problem is we are just fans. There are people who get paid a lot of money to make the right pick. Drafting is not an exact science, and obviously the FO can't be held responsible for a post- draft injury if the player has no injury history.

But the teams that win are the ones that get it right a hell of a lot more than they get it wrong. We haven't had that for far too long, including when Troup was drafted.

Troup was a reach. He wasn't even the best DT/NT on the board when the Bills drafted him.