PDA

View Full Version : Play a clean game and we will have a chance

ghz in pittsburgh
11-23-2015, 06:17 AM
All of NE's blowout wins this year came with turnover favors. In games where they didn't win that battle, it's been close within one score. Very close in actual games than the score sheet.

People talk about Brady as if he scores every time when he's under center. The fact is when he has 80 yards to go every time, he's as mortal as everyone else. The thing about turnover is it is usually associated with a shock, the emotion lift and deflation, and kind of "not-ready-yet" defensive players who are accustomed to be mentally prepared when the punt/kickoff team is on the field. Of course Brady, being who he is, is extremely adapt to exploit any weakness a defense shows and rises up to that kind of moment.

If the Bills offense can stay turnover 0 tonight, I truly believe it will be a close game throughout. Thus I'd not want Taylor to take unnecessary chances like so many people would like him to do. Guys like Robert Woods better hold onto the ball.

If the Bills D or ST can manage to get an INT or fumble, then shocker is not that far fetched ...

Mr. Miyagi
11-23-2015, 06:34 AM
Just don't let McKelvin run out the punt return at the end of the game.

Skooby
11-23-2015, 06:37 AM
Just don't let McKelvin run out the punt return at the end of the game.

This does look to be our Achilles' heel.

Topas
11-23-2015, 06:49 AM
... People talk about Brady as if he scores every time when he's under center. The fact is when he has 80 yards to go every time, he's as mortal as everyone else. The thing about turnover is it is usually associated with a shock, the emotion lift and deflation, and kind of "not-ready-yet" defensive players who are accustomed to be mentally prepared when the punt/kickoff team is on the field. ...

So your are saying that the Patriots do not only deflate Balls but also opponents ...

ghz in pittsburgh
11-23-2015, 07:14 AM
Topas, you will never hear players publicly say about it, but I remembered hearing some casual chattings of my friend's NFL guys like Ruben Brown/Justin Strzelczyk. To a man, they said the hardest thing between the white line is a pick or fumble, especially when the going was good. The D side of guys are scrambling and cursing, etc.

The guys respect special players like Ray Lewis who steps up in those situations (like a Brady on the offensive side) and rallies his people, his unit. Unfortunately those guys are far in between -- I don't see a guy like that on this Bills team.

Buffalogic
11-23-2015, 08:07 AM
Just don't let McKelvin run out the punt return at the end of the game.It was a kickoff return

Mr. Miyagi
11-23-2015, 08:19 AM
It was a kickoff return
Thanks for the correction. I'm sure no one else understood my point otherwise. Hope you feel better about yourself.

gebobs
11-23-2015, 08:22 AM
Thanks for the correction. I'm sure no one else understood my point otherwise. Hope you feel better about yourself.

I think we all understood, but it's kind of surprising that such a seminal moment of Bills fail was misremembered. It sucks getting old, eh? :-)

Ed
11-23-2015, 08:42 AM
When Tyrod doesn't turn the ball over the Bills are 5-0.

Mr. Miyagi
11-23-2015, 09:32 AM
I think we all understood, but it's kind of surprising that such a seminal moment of Bills fail was misremembered. It sucks getting old, eh? :-)
I just remember screaming at the TV "Stay in there! Stay in there!" as the idiot ran the ball out, then for 3 seconds I changed my hopes for him to break a big return, then he got gang tackled and the ball came out and my heart just stopped. Frankly I don't remember what the score even was or all the other details.

What color jersey did we wear? Do you remember? Was it a white-out night? Does it ****ING MATTER??

Mr. Miyagi
11-23-2015, 09:34 AM
When Tyrod doesn't turn the ball over the Bills are 5-0.
I'm concerned about Tyrod's knee. He's still nowhere near 100%. If his running the ball isn't a threat, and the Pats can straight up cover for the pass, then we're doomed. Tyrod is nothing special as a pocket passer.

ghz in pittsburgh
11-23-2015, 09:46 AM
I'm concerned about Tyrod's knee. He's still nowhere near 100%. If his running the ball isn't a threat, and the Pats can straight up cover for the pass, then we're doomed. Tyrod is nothing special as a pocket passer.

Yes Eli tore up Pats secondary which might be their biggest weakness on D. BUT I feel the Bills still need to play their game, the kind they have been since the bye week: run the ball on opponents.

Ed
11-23-2015, 09:52 AM
I don't know about Tyrod's knee, but he's had another 11 days to rest it so it probably feels better than it has in a while. Even if he's not 100% he's still always a threat to run so the Pats are going to have to prepare for it and defend it. I think it's more important that LeSean and Karlos show that they're big threats and can run effectively. That would help open things up more for Tyrod to throw.

OpIv37
11-23-2015, 11:14 AM
NE completely gave up on the run last time and still shredded us with the pass. With Kyle out, I don't see them being as one dimensional and that's really bad news for us.

Mr. Miyagi
11-23-2015, 11:21 AM
NE completely gave up on the run last time and still shredded us with the pass. With Kyle out, I don't see them being as one dimensional and that's really bad news for us.
They did have an OK run game with Dion Lewis last game, and Lewis caught a bunch of short passes and had plenty of YAC as well. With Lewis out, Blount/Boldin/White won't be able to gouge us as badly.

OpIv37
11-23-2015, 11:27 AM
They did have an OK run game with Dion Lewis last game, and Lewis caught a bunch of short passes and had plenty of YAC as well. With Lewis out, Blount/Boldin/White won't be able to gouge us as badly.

Yeah I hope you are right but injuries don't affect the Patriots the way they affect every other team in sports. The next guy steps up and the only difference is a jersey number. Hell, they beat us twice with a QB won couldn't beat out EJ for a roster spot.

Victor7
11-23-2015, 12:11 PM
Its gonna take a perfect game from us to even be in the discussion. Since we don't play anywhere near I suggest throwing some money at the Pats at -7 and make yourself some cash to ease the pain.

ghz in pittsburgh
11-23-2015, 12:34 PM
Its gonna take a perfect game from us to even be in the discussion. Since we don't play anywhere near I suggest throwing some money at the Pats at -7 and make yourself some cash to ease the pain.

Interesting. That's the topic I had at work with fellow sports talking guys: if Tyrod and McCoy/Williams have the same stats like the TNF game last week (see below), what's Bills chances? Realistically, this is about what our offense is capable of on the road against a capable opponent.

My answer: won't be a blowout like week 2 most of the game but DEFINITELY not enough to beat the Pats. Bills D needs a couple of turnovers to balance out.

<tbody id="yui_3_10_3_8_1448307764825_487">
Passing
CP/AT
YDS
TD
INT

T. Taylor (http://www.nfl.com/players/profile?id=00-0028118)
17/27

Rushing
ATT
YDS
TD
LG

L. McCoy (http://www.nfl.com/players/profile?id=00-0027029)

Ka. Williams (http://www.nfl.com/players/profile?id=00-0032152)

</tbody>

Saratoga Slim
11-23-2015, 01:00 PM
Interesting. That's the topic I had at work with fellow sports talking guys: if Tyrod and McCoy/Williams have the same stats like the TNF game last week (see below), what's Bills chances? Realistically, this is about what our offense is capable of on the road against a capable opponent.

My answer: won't be a blowout like week 2 most of the game but DEFINITELY not enough to beat the Pats. Bills D needs a couple of turnovers to balance out.

<tbody>
Passing
CP/AT
YDS
TD
INT

T. Taylor (http://www.nfl.com/players/profile?id=00-0028118)
17/27

Rushing
ATT
YDS
TD
LG

L. McCoy (http://www.nfl.com/players/profile?id=00-0027029)

Ka. Williams (http://www.nfl.com/players/profile?id=00-0032152)

</tbody>

That's a good point.

In short, last week's effort, where we totally dominated the turnover battle, was good enough to beat a team like us, but not a team better than us.

Tonight is going to take not only a clean game by the offense, but also a special game by the offense. They're going to have to score 30 on the road to have a shot.

ghz in pittsburgh
11-23-2015, 01:45 PM
That's a good point.

In short, last week's effort, where we totally dominated the turnover battle, was good enough to beat a team like us, but not a team better than us.

Tonight is going to take not only a clean game by the offense, but also a special game by the offense. They're going to have to score 30 on the road to have a shot.

On the other hand, had Tyrod hook up with Watkins on that 1st offensive play, which by all accounts should happen if were not a short week with no padded practice, then we would see a more respectable 18/28, 238 yards, 2TD, 0INT performance - any Bills fans would take that offensive output (along with McCoy/Williams') in Fxborough and say we would take our chances of our D against Brady.

Oaf
11-23-2015, 01:49 PM
Even if we play a dirty game we'll have a chance. Honestly, I'm okay with a few defensive contact penalties if we just beat these guys up physically, bully them. If we play without physicality this game, I don't think we have a chance.

Buffalogic
11-23-2015, 01:50 PM
Thanks for the correction. I'm sure no one else understood my point otherwise. Hope you feel better about yourself.If you are going to continue to harp on something that happened years ago then at least get it right. We have found many ways to lose to the pats since then, but this one has to be mentioned in ad nauseum.