PDA

View Full Version : The playoff drought will hit 20 years

OpIv37
11-23-2015, 10:17 PM
Still no QB, bad coaching with predictable play calls, too many injuries, supposed "stars" who don't show up at key moments, too many penalties, missed tackles, McFumbles, doinked field goals... It's been worse but it is still not close to success.

Expect 5-6 after KC and another year of "well we can still make the playoffs if we win out and team A loses out and team B finishes with the same record as us and beats team C but has to lose to team D and team E...."

Thurmal
11-23-2015, 11:24 PM
You know what? I thought Ryan coached a pretty damn good game. He kept under control, despite some "questionable" calls, and the defense played great. Roman and the offense were terrible, though. This team is destined for 8-8, but at least you don't feel hopeless like we did under Jauron and Gailey.

kingJofNYC
11-23-2015, 11:33 PM
Will we hit a quarter century?

Novacane
11-24-2015, 12:35 AM
I disagree Thurmal, I still feel hopeless.

kingJofNYC
11-24-2015, 12:40 AM
I disagree Thurmal, I still feel hopeless.
Same, and I still care as much as I did 20 years ago, which is really mind boggling. I'm crazy for still getting emotional over this team.

feldspar
11-24-2015, 02:03 AM
We just stood toe-to-toe with the best team in the league, but we didn't win...so we'll probably doomed for another 5 years, including this one.

Gotcha.

Ryan had a hell of a defensive scheme tonight, ask me.

Forward_Lateral
11-24-2015, 04:55 AM
I disagree with the KC thing. I think they destroy the Chiefs.

If the Defense plays like it did last night, there aren't many teams that will beat Buffalo.

Night Train
11-24-2015, 05:26 AM
It was the Pats and they lost by 7.

That equals 5 more years of doom ?

OK.

Why is your grocery store out of tin foil ?

FlyingDutchman
11-24-2015, 07:00 AM
WTF is the point of this thread?

OpIv37
11-24-2015, 07:06 AM
We just stood toe-to-toe with the best team in the league, but we didn't win...so we'll probably doomed for another 5 years, including this one.

Gotcha.

Ryan had a hell of a defensive scheme tonight, ask me.

We still have no QB. We will be drafting middle of the pack this year, so even if we find one in the draft, he won't be ready for a couple of years, and by that time most of our DL and McCoy will be past their prime. Yeah, there's FA/trades, but good QB's are rarely available via those routes and if they are, we'd be hard-pressed to fit them under the cap and would likely have to dump salary somewhere else, which means a new hole.

So yeah, we are screwed for another 5 years.

The score was close but NE proved they are still leagues ahead of us. They find ways to win whereas we find ways to lose. And their only real issue was their OL.

FlyingDutchman
11-24-2015, 07:09 AM
Dude...piss off...seriously

Joe Fo Sho
11-24-2015, 07:15 AM
We still have no QB. We will be drafting middle of the pack this year, so even if we find one in the draft, he won't be ready for a couple of years, and by that time most of our DL and McCoy will be past their prime. Yeah, there's FA/trades, but good QB's are rarely available via those routes and if they are, we'd be hard-pressed to fit them under the cap and would likely have to dump salary somewhere else, which means a new hole.

So yeah, we are screwed for another 5 years.

What an exciting outlook! Tell me more!!

NE proved they are still leagues ahead of us.

Said every team NE has played this year.

OpIv37
11-24-2015, 07:30 AM
What an exciting outlook! Tell me more!!

Said every team NE has played this year.
Except that only 3 of those teams have NE in their division, which means two games against them a year and no real shot at a div crown. We've been trying to close the talent gap between us and NE for over a decade and still aren't close.

Historian
11-24-2015, 07:40 AM
I'm with OP.

Same wine, different bottle.

Joe Fo Sho
11-24-2015, 07:47 AM
Except that only 3 of those teams have NE in their division, which means two games against them a year and no real shot at a div crown. We've been trying to close the talent gap between us and NE for over a decade and still aren't close.

We don't need to win the division to end the playoff drought, and as of today New England no longer factors into our playoff chances. We control our own destiny and if we don't get in it will have nothing to do with NE. That's about all that I expected after 10 games, a realistic shot at the playoffs. Comparing any team in the NFL to New England is worthless, nobody stacks up over the last 15 years. The first thing anyone should do when trying to mimic New England would be to find their own version of Ernie Adams.

Bill Cody
11-24-2015, 08:06 AM
That's the best the D has played this year. Couple key penalties (particularly having the INT called back) but they hit Brady a LOT and clearly frustrated him. And you have to give NE's D some credit, they played really well. Having said that there were some plays to be made in the 2nd half that were not made by Taylor. He showed courage playing hurt at the end but this was a winnable game with better QB play. I said before the game NE was banged up on the OL and that, along with losing Edelman and Lewis, was worth 2 TD's off their usual 35 PPG. I was close on that. But I expected more from our offense.

trapezeus
11-24-2015, 08:15 AM
The problem is t the bills. The pats have almost no starters and they scored 20 points against a d that had their number. Don't you think that's indicative of something? Between the friendly refs picking up flags. Overturning turnovers, you can't beat them because they are protected. Bills and jets fans are loyal. They have our money. Pats fans are new. And once they lose, Gillette empties out.

Granted thhe he bills missed fg and mckelvin's roster spot were huge issues. As is duke Williams. He wasn't in position for that all out blitz. If Rambo was in, that wasn't a big play for them.

Once you you come to terms that the NFL will do anything to keep that pats at the top, the lack of playoffs for the bills starts to hurt a lot less.

Bill Cody
11-24-2015, 08:17 AM
I'm with OP.

Same wine, different bottle.

Yeah lot of whine around here

feldspar
11-24-2015, 08:31 AM

So Brady is going to be playing at this level when he's 43-years-old?

trapezeus
11-24-2015, 08:54 AM

why not. They protect him with the calls. He hardly gets hit. And when they move on another qb will just "get the system".

OpIv37
11-24-2015, 08:55 AM

Who knows? How many people thought he'd be playing at this level at 37?

Also, don't forget they won 11 games and beat us twice with a guy who couldn't beat out EJ for a roster spot.

feldspar
11-24-2015, 09:07 AM
Who knows? How many people thought he'd be playing at this level at 37?

He's 38, and we've seen any number of hall of famers play on top of their game at 38.

How many have we seen play well at 43? I'd say none. I'd bet my ass that Brady doesn't have five years left.

He's not mobile, and this offensive line will see him beat to ****. As anybody gets older, those hits and the general wear-and-tear are harder to come back from.

chris66
11-25-2015, 04:53 AM
The problem is t the bills. The pats have almost no starters and they scored 20 points against a d that had their number. Don't you think that's indicative of something? Between the friendly refs picking up flags. Overturning turnovers, you can't beat them because they are protected. Bills and jets fans are loyal. They have our money. Pats fans are new. And once they lose, Gillette empties out.

Granted thhe he bills missed fg and mckelvin's roster spot were huge issues. As is duke Williams. He wasn't in position for that all out blitz. If Rambo was in, that wasn't a big play for them.

Once you you come to terms that the NFL will do anything to keep that pats at the top, the lack of playoffs for the bills starts to hurt a lot less.

No thats not the reason the Bills lost. The Bills lost because the pats forced your qb to actually have to be a qb. Add that your hc cant manage a game worth a turd burger

YardRat
11-25-2015, 05:10 AM
Hell, I didn't think Brady would last five years total in this league, let alone 5 more after 15 consecutive seasons of off-the-charts success. Of course, without all of the cheating, he probably wouldn't have.

DraftBoy
11-25-2015, 05:20 AM
That's the best the D has played this year. Couple key penalties (particularly having the INT called back) but they hit Brady a LOT and clearly frustrated him.

I agree, based on the first half. So here is my question...why did it take this long and what if we don't see this occur again? I mean Rex is considered a defensive guru so this should be common, right?

OpIv37
11-25-2015, 07:03 AM
I agree, based on the first half. So here is my question...why did it take this long and what if we don't see this occur again? I mean Rex is considered a defensive guru so this should be common, right?

We may not see it again. NE's OL is banged up and they were moving guys around all game. When we play a team with a more talented and healthy OL, the D will be back to the form it took in the rest of our games.

Joe Fo Sho
11-25-2015, 07:07 AM

We better see this type of defense again this year and hopefully often. If the defense played and schemed this way for the Giants, Jaguars, 1st Pats game, or the Bengals game we would have had a better chance at winning. I doubt Bortles would have been able to handle this defense the way Brady did. I'd like to see Alex Smith and QB TEXANS pressured the way Brady was.

SpikedLemonade
11-25-2015, 07:41 AM
I can't think beyond the next game with this team. Forget beyond this year.

I think the Chiefs are going to leave no doubt the Bills are not a play-off team.

trapezeus
11-25-2015, 07:57 AM
No thats not the reason the Bills lost. The Bills lost because the pats forced your qb to actually have to be a qb. Add that your hc cant manage a game worth a turd burger

It isn't the sole reason. But when you can never have a fair game from intentional grounding, helmet to helmet and face mask penalties, you have to play absolutely perfect and the pats do not. To keep fans like you who didn't care about the pats in 2000, they have to keep churning out the wins. If the bills can sell for $1.4bn, clearly all the teams have benefitted economically to grow a new fanbase out of thin air

hasn't been good for the average fan who actually likes football before the patriots were gifted championships and victories by looking the other way and aiding in momentum whenever possible.

DesertFox24
11-25-2015, 09:06 AM
No one picked the bills to win at ne on Monday night before the season started. The loss that hurts and may end playoffs is jags.

That said they have two huge games next two weeks and have to win. As for bad coaching and all the other garbage we may very well sweep the jets and phins and 4-2 in Te division is good.

I am not disappointed in pats beating us I am disappointed in jags and giants loss and the apparent lack of Sammy Watkins.

The def has gotten better every game and the off needs to step up in the passing game or we are screwed.

chris66
11-25-2015, 12:22 PM
It isn't the sole reason. But when you can never have a fair game from intentional grounding, helmet to helmet and face mask penalties, you have to play absolutely perfect and the pats do not. To keep fans like you who didn't care about the pats in 2000, they have to keep churning out the wins. If the bills can sell for $1.4bn, clearly all the teams have benefitted economically to grow a new fanbase out of thin air

hasn't been good for the average fan who actually likes football before the patriots were gifted championships and victories by looking the other way and aiding in momentum whenever possible.
Its posts like this that give bills fans a bad rep

Joe Fo Sho
11-25-2015, 12:33 PM
Its posts like this that give bills fans a bad rep

And who would know more about the bad reputation of a fanbase?

chris66
11-25-2015, 12:39 PM
And who would know more about the bad reputation of a fanbase?
Hey. I'll be the first to admit we are an arrogant fanbase. That happens when your team has been on top for 20 years. If the internet and social media was around in the 80s and early 90s people would have hated the 49ers as well.

Joe Fo Sho
11-25-2015, 01:22 PM
Hey. I'll be the first to admit we are an arrogant fanbase. That happens when your team has been on top for 20 years. If the internet and social media was around in the 80s and early 90s people would have hated the 49ers as well.

I don't know if there has ever been or ever will be a more generally hated franchise/QB/Coach combination than the Pats have right now. Sure there are non-Pats fans that like them or are indifferent, but there are a ton of people that hate them. I mean, I've dislike teams before...like Marino's Dolphins and Aikman's Cowboys...but I've always at least respected the talent. I respected Emmitt, Marino, Shula, etc., but it's not even close to that with the Patriots. It's not even that I dislike dynasties out of jealousy because I actually liked the 49ers and Steelers dynasties, although admittedly I wasn't alive in the 70's to watch Bradshaw and them. I like great QB's like Peyton, Rodgers, Montana, Young, Favre, Marino, Elway, etc. but Brady? **** him. And the fanbase? The majority of them just respond to every negative comment with "They hate us cuz they ain't us." If that isn't the most arrogant motto I've ever heard.

Sorry to go on a rant like this, but I'm sitting here at work waiting to leave early for the holiday. Happy Thanksgiving ya filthy animal.

pmoon6
11-25-2015, 02:11 PM
Hey. I'll be the first to admit we are an arrogant fanbase. That happens when your team has been on top for 20 years. If the internet and social media was around in the 80s and early 90s people would have hated the 49ers as well.:rofl: No, the Patriots were an afterthought since their inception. Boston was always a baseball town and with the success of the Celtics and Bruins, hockey and basketball. It was only in the last 14 years that New England actually supported the Patriots en masse. Probably you as well. Bandwagon from the git go, so stuff your 49ers comparison because they actually did it on the field with no help, no tuck rule, no Deflategate, no spying, nothing to tarnish their championships. The 49ers were never hated except maybe within their division. The rest of us just enjoyed watching them play.

YardRat
11-25-2015, 04:18 PM
I've been watching NFL football for well over 45 years, and I can't think of any other incarnation of any team that was so closely and consistently tied to accusations of cheating. Sure there was the occasional rambling of Al Davis hiring spies, or the 'controversy' of Shula being the only coach on the competition committee and !surprise! Miami was always at the top of the list for least penalized...but nothing like the Patriots over the last 15 years. In the same vein, I've never seen one team, with basically one player being the only factor as far as continuity, remain so successful, for so long. It just doesn't happen without other influences being part of the equation.

chris66
11-25-2015, 04:34 PM
:rofl: No, the Patriots were an afterthought since their inception. Boston was always a baseball town and with the success of the Celtics and Bruins, hockey and basketball. It was only in the last 14 years that New England actually supported the Patriots en masse. Probably you as well. Bandwagon from the git go, so stuff your 49ers comparison because they actually did it on the field with no help, no tuck rule, no Deflategate, no spying, nothing to tarnish their championships. The 49ers were never hated except maybe within their division. The rest of us just enjoyed watching them play.

The Pats franchise turned around with Parcells and Bledsoe in 93 it solidified when Kraft bought the team in 94. The stadium has been sold out since 94 with a 75000 person waiting list.

swiper
11-25-2015, 04:39 PM
I don't know if there has ever been or ever will be a more generally hated franchise/QB/Coach combination than the Pats have right now.

You weren't alive for the ten year run the Dolphins had over the Bills then. The Patriots will never rise to that level of hatred.

pmoon6
11-25-2015, 05:11 PM
The Pats franchise turned around with Parcells and Bledsoe in 93 it solidified when Kraft bought the team in 94. The stadium has been sold out since 94 with a 75000 person waiting list.The fact remains that Patriot Fans are a bunch of gay imbeciles. I even like Belichick, I think he's a great coach, but Brady whining to the refs on Monday Night because he got hit too hard was comedy gold.

It's really not the team that is hated as much as the front running asswipes that are fans of the team. Reminds me of Cowboy fans when I lived in Texas. They were "true blue and silver" until '86 when the team started downhill, then the dumped them. Only to jump back on board in '91 when they started winning again.

chris66
11-25-2015, 05:29 PM
The fact remains that Patriot Fans are a bunch of gay imbeciles. I even like Belichick, I think he's a great coach, but Brady whining to the refs on Monday Night because he got hit too hard was comedy gold.

It's really not the team that is hated as much as the front running asswipes that are fans of the team. Reminds me of Cowboy fans when I lived in Texas. They were "true blue and silver" until '86 when the team started downhill, then the dumped them. Only to jump back on board in '91 when they started winning again.
Not sure where you're coming from, but most of us suffered through the 1-15 Rod Rust season as well as the 2-14 Hugh Millen, Scott Secules years. Crappy owners like the Sullivan's and Victor Kiam.

chris66
11-25-2015, 05:41 PM
I've been watching NFL football for well over 45 years, and I can't think of any other incarnation of any team that was so closely and consistently tied to accusations of cheating. Sure there was the occasional rambling of Al Davis hiring spies, or the 'controversy' of Shula being the only coach on the competition committee and !surprise! Miami was always at the top of the list for least penalized...but nothing like the Patriots over the last 15 years. In the same vein, I've never seen one team, with basically one player being the only factor as far as continuity, remain so successful, for so long. It just doesn't happen without other influences being part of the equation.
That's because the qb position in college ha become so bad that quality passers aren't coming out on a regular basis. Think about it. guy comes in gets red shirted for his 1st year plays 2 seasons then goes on to the nfl. He now can't play from behind center or read a defense. He is a in the shotgun 1 read player. They can get by for a couple of seasons and if they can't transition to be an actual qb they fade away like Kap and RG3. That's why most teams are so inconsistent.

The last of the true qb's are Eli and big Ben and they are in their mid thirties

YardRat
11-25-2015, 05:49 PM
That's because the qb position in college ha become so bad that quality passers aren't coming out on a regular basis. Think about it. guy comes in gets red shirted for his 1st year plays 2 seasons then goes on to the nfl. He now can't play from behind center or read a defense. He is a in the shotgun 1 read player. They can get by for a couple of seasons and if they can't transition to be an actual qb they fade away like Kap and RG3. That's why most teams are so inconsistent.

The last of the true qb's are Eli and big Ben and they are in their mid thirties

Horse****. Although I certainly won't disagree with the premise that college football is ruining the QB position, never before has a player been able to sustain the same level of success even back when 99% of the QB's coming out of school were 'pro' style. Granted, the rule changes have certainly had an impact on longevity and statistics, but not so much that a single team with one player can sustain dominance over such a long period of time.

chris66
11-25-2015, 05:58 PM
Horse****. Although I certainly won't disagree with the premise that college football is ruining the QB position, never before has a player been able to sustain the same level of success even back when 99% of the QB's coming out of school were 'pro' style. Granted, the rule changes have certainly had an impact on longevity and statistics, but not so much that a single team with one player can sustain dominance over such a long period of time.
Look at all the bad teams in the nfl. The nfl has never been this bad at the qb position. Nevermind all the bad head coaches. A top qb and coach combo can go a long way in today's game.

swiper
11-26-2015, 03:15 AM
And you suffered through Lou Saban (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_New_England_Patriots_head_coaches)! Oh the terror.

YardRat
11-26-2015, 05:12 AM
Look at all the bad teams in the nfl. The nfl has never been this bad at the qb position. Nevermind all the bad head coaches. A top qb and coach combo can go a long way in today's game.

Not as far as unmitigated cheating with impunity, obviously.

Jan Reimers
11-26-2015, 07:44 AM
I can only say I'm disappointed again, and at my advanced age, I'm simply hoping to see the Bills in the playoffs one more time. It seems that there are always just enough negatives to keep us from succeeding, despite our advances that look so promising.

It gets very discouraging after all these futile seasons. I really don't see it happening this year, either.

trapezeus
11-27-2015, 09:37 AM
The results with the lack of talent and the gifts in every game are the reason a lot of people don't buy it. 6 super bowl appearances because of one coach who sucked and one 6th round qb makes no sense. Players come in as junk and get made into Allstars? They leave and become junk again? The pats are doing things that no other team is doing. Hence their outlier status vs the spread at home. It's unusual for the history of the game. And to have newbie fans like Chris66 say that comments like this hurt the actual fans of football is idiotic.

They were going to move in the 90's. So not accurate that they've been relevant since 1993. They may have gotten Bledsoe but Kraft looked to move the team. And hen he won, and his regionalized team for an area known as lovable losers because the fans they hated the most.

chris66
11-27-2015, 12:50 PM
The results with the lack of talent and the gifts in every game are the reason a lot of people don't buy it. 6 super bowl appearances because of one coach who sucked and one 6th round qb makes no sense. Players come in as junk and get made into Allstars? They leave and become junk again? The pats are doing things that no other team is doing. Hence their outlier status vs the spread at home. It's unusual for the history of the game. And to have newbie fans like Chris66 say that comments like this hurt the actual fans of football is idiotic.

They were going to move in the 90's. So not accurate that they've been relevant since 1993. They may have gotten Bledsoe but Kraft looked to move the team. And hen he won, and his regionalized team for an area known as lovable losers because the fans they hated the most.

Victor kiam wanted to move the team to st louis in 93. Kraft owned the stadium and wouldnt let him out of his lease thats how kraft ended up with the team

Mr. Cynical
11-27-2015, 08:51 PM
I just hope that they get some success this year to legitimately build on. Last year was the first non-losing season in forever, and if they at least go 9-7 this year, it starts to chip away at the Culture of Losing. I realize close only counts in hand grenades and horse shoes, but still...if you want to attract talent for the *right* reasons (i.e., joining a winner, not an ATM), who are really committed to the game, you have to have a Culture of Winning. I don't know that Rex will be the HC to get them there, or even if the current roster will be 50% in tact. But if as a brand and a team they can start to put together back to back winning seasons, and legitimately contend into December, only good things will happen.

The absolute bottom line (that we all know) - you cannot win in this league without a franchise qb. Period. So until that happens, all we can do is hope they show up and compete and not be a joke.

Now, that said, I'm the first one to throw the chili or smash the remote when I see them screw up during a game. If I see one more f$#!% quick slant to f*&*! Welker/Edelman/Amendola/insert 175lb white guy for another f^*#% first down I'm going to smash more than my remote. So my patience is admittedly paper thin, and I just wish Brady and Belichick would sail off into the sunset already.

IlluminatusUIUC
11-28-2015, 08:27 AM

Arrogance in a fanbase is one thing. The Spurs, Lakers, Red Wings, Yankees, etc all have arrogant fanbases. What makes Boston fans impossibly annoying is their insistence that somehow they're better fans then everyone else, coupled with a mile-wide persecution complex. Pats fans will complain about the refs after a double-digit win, let alone a loss. Hell, after the Pats likely beat the Broncos tomorrow, they will probably ***** that the commentators talked about Manning too much from the bench.

:rofl: No, the Patriots were an afterthought since their inception. Boston was always a baseball town and with the success of the Celtics and Bruins, hockey and basketball. It was only in the last 14 years that New England actually supported the Patriots en masse. Probably you as well. Bandwagon from the git go, so stuff your 49ers comparison because they actually did it on the field with no help, no tuck rule, no Deflategate, no spying, nothing to tarnish their championships. The 49ers were never hated except maybe within their division. The rest of us just enjoyed watching them play.

The 49ers didn't have their hands clean either. They were serial cap cheaters.

Mr. Pink
11-28-2015, 08:33 AM
The 49ers didn't have their hands clean either. They were serial cap cheaters.

Or the fact that Jerry Rice used stick um, he openly admitted to it after he retired. Stick um was illegal.

Or that Joe Montana admitted that his offensive lineman sprayed silicon on their shirts...until they got caught.

No team is innocent when it comes to cheating.

kscdogbillsfan1221
11-28-2015, 09:24 AM
Not sure where you're coming from, but most of us suffered through the 1-15 Rod Rust season as well as the 2-14 Hugh Millen, Scott Secules years. Crappy owners like the Sullivan's and Victor Kiam.

couldnt find one patriots fan before 2000, now you are everywhere. Could barely find a patriots jersey at a bills patriots game 14 years ago. Now, there are a ton.

So yes, the vast majority of you are front running, ass wiping douchebags. With a city populated mainly by d'@@headed a holes.

So brady fits right in

Albany,n.y.
11-28-2015, 09:46 AM
You whiners remind me of California Chrome's drunk owner after his horse lost the Belmont Stakes. He said he'd never see another Triple Crown winner in his lifetime & the very next year there was one. So, that might just mean Buffalo Bills Super Bowl 51 Champions.

Albany,n.y.
11-28-2015, 09:52 AM
couldnt find one patriots fan before 2000, now you are everywhere. Could barely find a patriots jersey at a bills patriots game 14 years ago. Now, there are a ton.

So yes, the vast majority of you are front running, ass wiping douchebags. With a city populated mainly by d'@@headed a holes.

So brady fits right in

I was at Buffalo Wild Wings in Santa Ana California last Monday & it was a heavy NE crowd, many in Pats gear. I bet not one of them gave a rat's behind about the Patriots before Brady arrived. Meanwhile I was the lone Bills rooter there with my over 40 years of being a Bills fan.

Also-I was at the Chiefs/Chargers game last Sunday-KC did nothing, just let the Chargers beat themselves. So anyone who is afraid of KC doesn't know Jack (as in the former name of the Stadium where I saw the weakest 30 point win ever)

Mr. Pink
11-28-2015, 10:16 AM
I was at Buffalo Wild Wings in Santa Ana California last Monday & it was a heavy NE crowd, many in Pats gear. I bet not one of them gave a rat's behind about the Patriots before Brady arrived. Meanwhile I was the lone Bills rooter there with my over 40 years of being a Bills fan.

Also-I was at the Chiefs/Chargers game last Sunday-KC did nothing, just let the Chargers beat themselves. So anyone who is afraid of KC doesn't know Jack (as in the former name of the Stadium where I saw the weakest 30 point win ever)

Of course not.

Go back 20 years ago and you saw Cowboys fans everywhere. 30 years ago 49ers fans everywhere.

Who gave a crap about the Cowboys between Staubach and Aikman? Who gives a crap about the 49ers since Steve Young? Who gave a crap about the Steelers between Bradshaw and Roethlisberger? Hell who, outside of Buffalo, gives a crap about the Bills since Jim Kelly?

Singling out a team on fan support is as ridiculous as thinking the Pats are the only team that cheats.

OpIv37
11-28-2015, 01:51 PM
Of course not.

Go back 20 years ago and you saw Cowboys fans everywhere. 30 years ago 49ers fans everywhere.

Who gave a crap about the Cowboys between Staubach and Aikman? Who gives a crap about the 49ers since Steve Young? Who gave a crap about the Steelers between Bradshaw and Roethlisberger? Hell who, outside of Buffalo, gives a crap about the Bills since Jim Kelly?

Singling out a team on fan support is as ridiculous as thinking the Pats are the only team that cheats.
Can't really speak for those other teams but I completely disagree on the Bills.

I moved to Northern Va in 2002 and Baltimore in 2011. That's a two-team market a 400 mile drive from Buffalo. Despite 2002-now being a pathetic era of Bills football, I still see people with Bills stuff on their car or wearing gear several times a week. There are 2 Bills Backers bars in Northern Va, one in DC and one in Baltimore that are packed every week. And I'd say at least 75% of the time I wear Bills gear, another fan says something to me, and we have a conversation about the team so I know they still care.

And not so much in Baltimore, but Bills fans always make a strong showing when we play the Redskins at FedEx.

Granted, this is anecdotal evidence, but I can tell you the Bills have a strong following in a two team market far from WNY because I see it all the time.

sudzy
11-28-2015, 02:03 PM
I use to say "I'd like to see the Bills win a Super Bowl in my lifetime." Now, I'm thinking "I'd like to see the Bills be good enough to make the playoffs again."

BillsOwnAll
11-28-2015, 02:16 PM
I love how pats fans complain about being the refs "screwed" them with that whistle, imagine getting 40 yards when it shoulda been a replayed down.. Must be nice..they get every big little call all games.

justasportsfan
11-28-2015, 02:53 PM
I haven't seen a lot of Pats fans old enough to remember when they sucked. Now you see a lot of young ones.

Still a lot of bills fans young and old all over. Even a lot of young ones who never saw the bills when they wee winners

pmoon6
11-29-2015, 06:16 AM
I haven't seen a lot of Pats fans old enough to remember when they sucked. Now you see a lot of young ones.

Still a lot of bills fans young and old all over. Even a lot of young ones who never saw the bills when they wee winnersI think it's kind of a legacy thing.
My Dad was a Buffalo Fan when we had a team in the AAFC. When they folded he liked the Browns. He became a Bills/Browns Fan with the inception of the AFL. Baseball was the game back then, but because of his interest in pro football, I liked it too.

As much as I hate what the NFL has become, I will probably always watch the Bills because of childhood memories and the connection both my Father and I had with the team. My Son is the same even though he never lived in Buffalo.

Night Train
11-29-2015, 07:02 AM
I can only say I'm disappointed again, and at my advanced age, I'm simply hoping to see the Bills in the playoffs one more time. It seems that there are always just enough negatives to keep us from succeeding, despite our advances that look so promising.

It gets very discouraging after all these futile seasons. I really don't see it happening this year, either.

I don't plan on it this year but still think they have a small shot, going into todays game. 9 wins was my prediction but the injuries to the skill players hurt them and their margin for error was thin. It is what it is.

Not quite your age but I do remember my first game as a kid in 1965. The game has evolved in ways I'm not entirely pleased with. I've gravitated more towards college through the years because the only way I can watch NFL football outside of the Bills is the NFL Redzone, where commercials and refs cannot be the stars. Too many teams and excessive mediocrity.

It is now what many posted above. A great coach with excellent schemes and a special QB. Thus the Pats.

Don't know what 2016 holds. Most 1st year coaches make major roster moves after year 1 and the cap saving targets on this team are pretty obvious to me ( Mario Williams, Kyle Williams, Eric Wood, McKelvin ). Could we have a new QB ? We'll add 2 to go with Taylor. LB play was sub-par this year and could improve.. Rex isn't going anywhere. Whaley might.

But I'll be back. Pegula is willing to spend the $ to the Max and that makes us a player every off-season with free agents. I can't go back 50 years anymore because Ralph is no longer here to make business decisions over football. It honestly doesn't apply and I sat in stadiums during 1-2 win seasons a lot. That doesn't make me more of a fan over any young kid here. That's just the way it is.

Each year is unique to itself and I must view it with an open mind. The record is always the final say and talking about Gregg Williams, Mularkey, Jauron, etc. never impresses me. Means nothing now.

Go Bills. If this isn't the year, put in the work this spring and come out swinging next summer.

Mad Bomber
11-29-2015, 02:17 PM
Still no QB, bad coaching with predictable play calls, too many injuries, supposed "stars" who don't show up at key moments, too many penalties, missed tackles, McFumbles, doinked field goals... It's been worse but it is still not close to success.

Expect 5-6 after KC and another year of "well we can still make the playoffs if we win out and team A loses out and team B finishes with the same record as us and beats team C but has to lose to team D and team E...."
You called it...