PDA

View Full Version : The headsets

IlluminatusUIUC
11-24-2015, 02:52 PM
I noticed Tyrod Taylor complaining to the sidelines that he couldn't hear the playcall a few times last night. Most notably while they were trying to hurry down the field to tie the game.

This is beyond ridiculous to the point where it needs to cost someone his job. We've had multiple games where the headsets failed in key moments either causing huge delays in crucial situations or wasting timeouts. Fix the goddamn headset radios or come up with a backup plan. You could start with the method that's been used my nearly every HS team in the history of ever and have the coach tell a substitute to come on the field and call the play in the huddle. Or give Taylor a base set of playcalls he can work from if the call isn't in by the 20 second mark. Or literally anything else then having him flap his arms at the sideline helplessly.

DraftBoy
11-24-2015, 03:03 PM
I noticed Tyrod Taylor complaining to the sidelines that he couldn't hear the playcall a few times last night. Most notably while they were trying to hurry down the field to tie the game.

This is beyond ridiculous to the point where it needs to cost someone his job. We've had multiple games where the headsets failed in key moments either causing huge delays in crucial situations or wasting timeouts. Fix the goddamn headset radios or come up with a backup plan. You could start with the method that's been used my nearly every HS team in the history of ever and have the coach tell a substitute to come on the field and call the play in the huddle. Or give Taylor a base set of playcalls he can work from if the call isn't in by the 20 second mark. Or literally anything else then having him flap his arms at the sideline helplessly.

Agreed, the headset issue is absolutely ridiculous and the league needs to address it asap. However, how you don't have a backup wrist band or way to signal the play in from the sideline is a little ridiculous.

gebobs
11-24-2015, 03:20 PM
Do you remember the good old days when Jim Kelly could engineer a winning drive in Foxboro without the benefit of headsets? Good times.

DynaPaul
11-24-2015, 03:38 PM
The Bermuda Triangle of NFL Stadiums.

Mr. Pink
11-24-2015, 03:45 PM
How hard is it to hand signal a number in?

Taylor, and every other QB, have full lists of plays on their wrist band.

Signal in the number, Taylor looks at his wrist and calls that play.

Or Taylor can't hear them, has some football IQ, and just calls a play he thinks will work in the current situation based off his wristband. Hell, they run shotgun HB sweep enough, so he could just call that with no problem.

chris66
11-24-2015, 04:00 PM
Your rinning the 2 min drill. You shouldnt be looking at the sideline for a play anyway.

Victor7
11-24-2015, 04:03 PM
Its been going on the whole year. I said so in another thread. Its the year 2015. Technology is insane. Why is it that the average person can do a billion things on a mobile phone while taking a **** yet this professional sports franchise can't seem to be able to fix a ****ing head set issue. Unforgivable

Equally unforgivable is the fact that knowing this has happened before they have no back up plan in place. Why on earth doesn't Taylor have a small set of 4-6 plays to call on 2 minute situations? Why are they going on a play by play basis there when time is off the essence. Its so amateur. I just can imagine a Belichick, or Cowher or Reid coached team being this bush league.

Ingtar33
11-24-2015, 04:27 PM
I had some amazing free Wifi at the Ralph. great bandwidth, heck i was watching highlights of other games when the bengals were kicking our butts. How is it possible that an NFL stadium has good enough wifi with enough bandwidth for 70k people yet we have headset issues?

Insane.

sahlensguy
11-24-2015, 04:30 PM
Google Glass is the answer, and it would be awesome.

Victor7
11-24-2015, 05:30 PM
If not for the fact that we've had the issue before the conspiracy theorist in me would say the Pats jammed the signal. I mean would anyone put it past them? Its happened before too.

kingJofNYC
11-24-2015, 05:34 PM
This is on Roman, he has to have a system in place, it's happened way too many times this season, inexcusable to not have a backup plan.

BillsImpossible
11-24-2015, 06:35 PM
Ground control to Major Tom.

It's easy to say the Bills should have a few plays designed for situations when the headsets go out.

Do you know how many freaking situations that involves? Probably 100 or more.

How can 5 or 6 designed plays match the situation? Luck?

They obviously do have designed plays for when the headsets go out, and they didn't work very well last night because the call is likely to have nothing to do with the situation on defense.

The NFL issues the headsets to each team.

They blame the headset problem on batteries.