PDA

View Full Version : IS TYROD TAYLOR THE QB OF THE FUTURE?????

mdcas22
11-29-2015, 07:38 AM
I say no

The Natrix
11-29-2015, 07:41 AM
Yes, because the game today is still in the future, and Taylor is starting.

Novacane
11-29-2015, 07:42 AM
I have my doubts. Not ready to say no for sure yet.

Luisito23
11-29-2015, 08:17 AM
I really hope not.

IlluminatusUIUC
11-29-2015, 08:24 AM
He has only earned himself a place in next years training camp battle so far. If he develops, he can be a franchise guy but he's not there now.

sudzy
11-29-2015, 08:27 AM
He's the QB of this year. Because, he's the only QB they have. I would not let him stop me from drafting a good QB next year if one was available.

mdcas22
11-29-2015, 08:28 AM
He has only earned himself a place in next years training camp battle so far. If he develops, he can be a franchise guy but he's not there now.

Yeh I agree with this, he has got a long way to go to become a franchise guy. everyone thinks because he is fast that he has a advantage. in the NFL speed is something that most have and defending it isn't all that tough as we have seen so far this year. If he can't trow over the middle and read defense's better he will nothing more than a glorified back up.

YardRat
11-29-2015, 09:21 AM
After breaking down all of the statistics, analyzing his skill set, taking into account intangibles and extrapolating out for future performance, speaking from a strictly scientific standpoint I would say...

http://www.retroland.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Magic-8-Ball.jpg

starrymessenger
11-29-2015, 10:05 AM
I like to think Taylor's game is really a reflection of Rex and Roman's decision to have him avoid turnovers at all cost. Unlike most bad teams that have shiny new toys under centre, the Bills are talent wise ready and expected to compete. So they are hoping to get enough out of Taylor to enable that, which comes at the cost of aggressively furthering his development as a legit starter. We are not the Jags, the Bucs, Titans etc...
I like to think that, but of course it is also possible that he just doesn't have what it takes.
If he just can't do it, I still like him a lot as a backup/change of pace QB who can also be used situationally on occasion and not just when the starter goes down. So I think his being on the team is definitely a positive and I don't see why he wouldn't be a keeper.

Famous Amos
11-29-2015, 10:37 AM
Welp, I read on twitter that Jameis Winston, after his headset went out, called his own plays. They resulted in two touchdowns.

I don't have any confidence that Taylor could do that. He hasn't done it. He doesn't have the smarts.

LarryBoy
11-29-2015, 10:45 AM
Kids got heart and guts-I do like that-just not sure about the rest of the package

justasportsfan
11-29-2015, 12:57 PM
Not riget now. Holds on to the ball too long. Still doesn't know when to get rid of the ball. Fumble

BertSquirtgum
11-29-2015, 01:09 PM
He is a great back up quarterback. Not starter quality, IMO.

justasportsfan
11-29-2015, 01:16 PM
He needs a good QB coach and I don't think David Lee is it.

Typ0
11-29-2015, 01:37 PM
Taylor is a great guy to have on the team. First time the position has been upgraded since Bledsoe.

mdcas22
11-29-2015, 02:29 PM
Taylor is a great guy to have on the team. First time the position has been upgraded since Bledsoe.

upgrade my arss

OpIv37
11-29-2015, 02:37 PM
Tyrod is the type of QB who can win if all the other pieces are in place. He's responsible and accurate enough that he won't lose too may games for you, but he's also not that top tier QB that will consistently pull wins out of his ass.

The problem is we don't have all the pieces and some of the pieces we do have are hurt.

The Jokeman
11-29-2015, 02:43 PM
Tyrod is the type of QB who can win if all the other pieces are in place. He's responsible and accurate enough that he won't lose too may games for you, but he's also not that top tier QB that will consistently pull wins out of his ass.

The problem is we don't have all the pieces and some of the pieces we do have are hurt.
McCoy and Watkins can be Pro Bowl caliber players when they're on their games. Clay to me is an above average TE and Woods/Hogan are an average WR2/3/ What more can we give him? Maybe if the D was playing stronger but to me the play of Tyord in the 2nd half of today's game is what make him an average to below average QB. That said the turnovers on offense also played a part on the loss that can't blame Tyord for but something just tells me he isn't good enough.

Mace
11-29-2015, 02:47 PM

You just described Alex Smith who does it better. I've come to really appreciate Alex Smith.

Anyway, I finally slid into the "no" camp on one of the long ball completions to Watkins where Watkins had to slow down and wait for it. He got the ball there but didn't have enough arm to hit Watkins in stride for daylight, and if one of the two db's would have turned around they'd have caught it easily instead. This isn't going anywhere.

Mace
11-29-2015, 02:52 PM
McCoy and Watkins can be Pro Bowl caliber players when they're on their games. Clay to me is an above average TE and Woods/Hogan are an average WR2/3/ What more can we give him? Maybe if the D was playing stronger but to me the play of Tyord in the 2nd half of today's game is what make him an average to below average QB. That said the turnovers on offense also played a part on the loss that can't blame Tyord for but something just tells me he isn't good enough.

A good slot receiver and a tall WR maybe...though I'm not sure we don't have a good slot receiver just never run any plays there. A really tall guy with long arms could rescue some of his errant balls. Past that, the defense yeah. I mean Taylor didn't lose the game, but this year I was kind of expecting to win games with 22 points and a defensive wizard HC.

The Jokeman
11-29-2015, 03:08 PM
A good slot receiver and a tall WR maybe...though I'm not sure we don't have a good slot receiver just never run any plays there. A really tall guy with long arms could rescue some of his errant balls. Past that, the defense yeah. I mean Taylor didn't lose the game, but this year I was kind of expecting to win games with 22 points and a defensive wizard HC.

I did a quick search of UFA to be and not many fit that description. We could draft someone like Devon Cajuste in the mid rounds but not sure how much a rookie could impact this roster. As have a feeling our top 3 pick of the draft are going to be a QB, OL and LB (not necessarily in that order).

Mace
11-29-2015, 03:38 PM
I did a quick search of UFA to be and not many fit that description. We could draft someone like Devon Cajuste in the mid rounds but not sure how much a rookie could impact this roster. As have a feeling our top 3 pick of the draft are going to be a QB, OL and LB (not necessarily in that order).

You might be right, but I have a feeling Ryan tries to make do with Taylor (ala Sanchez & Geno) and this "young" OL, and if he has any influence (and he probably will), I think he might go for his kind of DL, LB yes, and DB (just because I don't think he can stop himself), safety maybe.

I'd rather they went for QB, OL & LB but hey, maybe in the later rounds like always.

Historian
11-29-2015, 03:44 PM
Maybe for the Argonauts....

mdcas22
11-29-2015, 03:44 PM
You might be right, but I have a feeling Ryan tries to make do with Taylor (ala Sanchez & Geno) and this "young" OL, and if he has any influence (and he probably will), I think he might go for his kind of DL, LB yes, and DB (just because I don't think he can stop himself), safety maybe.

I'd rather they went for QB, OL & LB but hey, maybe in the later rounds like always.

I agree with everything you said. Rex will dismantle this defense for sure, knowing Rex look for a linebacker with our 1st pick.

notacon
11-29-2015, 04:12 PM
If we had 16 games against Miami....

Seriously...he's all we got right now. The Bills have never shown any skill at drafting QB's...and the team does not suck enough to get a high enough draft pick to even get a sure thing (as much a "sure thing" is possible).

The only route is to do whatever you have to do to move up in the draft to gamble on better prospect the we have had a chance to pick since 2004.

Does anyone doubt what the Bills would be like these past 11 years if they went all out to get Roethlisburger???

Mace
11-29-2015, 04:16 PM
Does anyone doubt what the Bills would be like these past 11 years if they went all out to get Roethlisburger???

Yeah I do. We could misuse a spoon at the soup kitchen.

Historian
11-29-2015, 04:29 PM

If we had drafted Big Ben, he would still be doing time for the rape.

mdcas22
11-29-2015, 04:48 PM
I wonder if TT voted yes?

Uncle Jesse
11-29-2015, 08:04 PM
He's a decent place holder. Not a franchise guy at this point.

OpIv37
11-30-2015, 07:18 AM
He's a decent place holder. Not a franchise guy at this point.

How many teams actually have a "franchise QB" though? Brady, both Mannings (although Peyton is on the verge of aging out), Brees, Big Ben, Rodgers, Wilson, Dalton, arguably Flacco and Romo, that's it. Time will tell on Carr, Mariota, Winston, and I could be forgetting a couple, but most teams don't have franchise QB's. They are extremely difficult to find.

blackonyx89
11-30-2015, 07:22 AM
I like Tyrod, but it looks like he would be a reliable backup for a few games, but not a starter. The Bills front office needs to draft a sure fire starter or pay a boatload of money for a bettter QB than Tyrod. Not easy, but I hope they do.

OLDSRIP
11-30-2015, 07:40 AM
How many teams actually have a "franchise QB" though? Brady, both Mannings (although Peyton is on the verge of aging out), Brees, Big Ben, Rodgers, Wilson, Dalton, arguably Flacco and Romo, that's it. Time will tell on Carr, Mariota, Winston, and I could be forgetting a couple, but most teams don't have franchise QB's. They are extremely difficult to find.

Thats it right there.
It seems as if there are only 10-12 people walking the earth at any given time who can play QB at a high level.

Victor7
11-30-2015, 08:28 AM
No

He's limited. He can't get past his 1st read and has no idea he can throw down the middle. All he does is throw short outside or deep to Sammy. That's it, nothing more. He doesn't really turn the ball over which in theory was what we needed with great defense. Funny right? Sadly for us he's our one and only shot right now. We all know what happens if 3 has to play.

But he's not the answer down the line for sure.

Uncle Jesse
11-30-2015, 08:33 AM

That sounds about right. Just because everyone doesn't have one, doesn't mean we do. I'm very aware on the difficulty to find one. We need to keep looking. Like I said, Taylor is a find placeholder until we get one.

ghz in pittsburgh
11-30-2015, 08:50 AM

Look, you gotta try though. There is no hope right now. We don't even get a Tannerhill, Bridgewater type of guy. The last one one that resembled anything is Trent Edwards. I believe top 3 round, we gotta give a try the next two years in a row.

sdbillsfan2
11-30-2015, 02:49 PM
As long as the Doug and Rex pony show is in town were going to be stuck with TT.
Rex went with Gino Smith far to long with the Jets. Smith couldn't beat out a one handed Fitzy. Whaley thought EJ was the man. Rex has a man crush on Tyrod..
Not optimistic either will ever get it right.

mdcas22
11-30-2015, 07:20 PM

Peyton, Eli Rodgers Big Ben Brady Flaco Rivers Brees Luck Cutler Stafford Wilson Palmer Ryan Bortles Cousins Smith Cam Tannyhill thats 18 that I consider Franchise QB's wouldn't you say??

IlluminatusUIUC
11-30-2015, 09:04 PM
Peyton, Eli Rodgers Big Ben Brady Flaco Rivers Brees Luck Cutler Stafford Wilson Palmer Ryan Bortles Cousins Smith Cam Tannyhill thats 18 that I consider Franchise QB's wouldn't you say??

Peyton is finished and Bortles, Tannehill, and Cousins haven't proven anything yet.

notacon
12-01-2015, 11:30 AM

Sure, they are hard to find. I estimate that more than 3/4 the teams have one. A "franchise QB" is one that is the undisputed leader and QB of the team. It's not necessarily mean that they are always at the top of the league in their play. Like Jay Cutler. Many think he's not a good QB, but, he is THE QB for Chicago and the undisputed "franchise" QB. Tyrod Taylor is not.

In my opinion, a "franchise QB" is one that there is no question that he's the guy...almost no matter what, and that team is not even looking for another "franchise QB". Carr, Mariota and Winston are definitely the franchise QB's of their teams...and will remain so until they prove to suck. In order from the Total QBR Rating (http://espn.go.com/nfl/qbr)...

1. Carson Palmer
2. Andy Dalton
3. Ben Rothlisberger
4. Tom Brady
5. Drew Brees
6. Aaron Rodgers
7. Philip Rivers
8. Jay Cutler
9. Russell Wilson
10. Eli Manning
11. Teddy Bridgewater
12. Derek Carr
13. Matt Ryan
14. Alex Smith
15. Jamies Winston
16. Cam Newton
17. Marcus Mariota
18. Matthew Stafford
19. Blake Bortles
20. Andrew Luck
21. Joe Flacco
22. Sam Bradford
23. Ryan Tannehill
24. Tony Romo (not rated because of lack of play)

I don't count Peyton Manning because Denver undoubtably is looking for a QB.

Look back at the bunch of dolts the Bills have tried as QB since Kelly left. Not a "franchise" QB in the bunch (except Bledsoe). Drew Bledsoe was indeed the franchise QB until he sucked balls in the Pittsburgh game (against their backups) with the playoffs on the line.

The Bills are one of only eight teams searching for the answer:

Houston
NY Jets
Buffalo
Washington (they thought they had theirs)
Cleveland (they thought they had theirs too)
San Fran (same here)
Denver
St. Louis

It's doubtful that Tyrod is the guy. QB's don't last until the 6th round by chance.

Right now, Cleveland, San Fran & St. Louis are ahead of the Bills in draft order, and all will be expected to think seriously about drafting one of the 2016 prospects. The only way Buffalo ever drafts a possible "franchise QB" in the near future is to go out on a limb and trade up into one of the top 5 spots.

They have never shown any ability to correctly analyze QB's. The only hope is for Pegula is to fire Whaley and spend some big bucks on a proven GM.

The chances of all that happening are between slim and none. Oh woe is the life of a Bills fan.

Woodman
12-01-2015, 11:59 AM
Of course he is.

Relax

streetkings01
12-01-2015, 12:05 PM
I'd love him as the future #2 while we draft a franchise QB.

ticatfan
12-01-2015, 12:06 PM
Yes ,if you don't panic.

feldspar
12-01-2015, 12:47 PM
Tyrod Taylor is the QB for next year. I would bet on that.

Whatever opinions there are about that is beside the point. Whether that's good or bad is another matter.

I think the Bills will go with him again next year. Next year is the future, right?

Victor7
12-01-2015, 03:36 PM
Tyrod Taylor is the QB for next year. I would bet on that.

Whatever opinions there are about that is beside the point. Whether that's good or bad is another matter.

I think the Bills will go with him again next year. Next year is the future, right?

It depends on what he does this next 5 games. I definitely agree he's gonna be here next year. But I also think there's a good possibility some more competition is brought in via draft, FA or both. Make him compete for it. He has been better than EJ ever could and a positive change overall but he's far from the real deal.

Figster
12-02-2015, 03:24 PM
Voted yes and was amazed at the amount of no's...

Figster
12-02-2015, 03:39 PM
Voted yes and was amazed at the amount of no's...

and its not like QB rating means everything,

but T Mobile is ranked 5th in the league,

with just a handful of games under his belt,

Awwww come on man!

Figster
12-07-2015, 05:31 PM
I had to bump this thread/poll to see If anyone is having second thoughts,

any takers?

If not, yell at me or something...

Scumbag College
12-07-2015, 05:43 PM
64.9 completion percentage with 17/4 TD/INT and 2171 yards passing. 318 rushing yards with 3 TD. 6-4 record in 10 starts.

Unless he totally implodes this season, I think you have to go into 2016 with him as the unanimous starter and if he puts up similar numbers next year you have to make him the "franchise guy" and give him a franchise QB contract. He fits well in this offense and his 4 losses are to the Pats 2x, Bengals, and Giants. The Bills are going to have a need in the first few rounds of the draft more than likely on the OL, LB, WR, and possibly DL positions and taking a flyer on a QB that probably doesn't overtake him as a starter would be silly at this point. And by all accounts, he is a Rex guy and would probably start here for the duration that Rex is the coach here.

mdcas22
12-07-2015, 06:15 PM
after Sundays performance I'll say that he looked a little better throwing the ball over the middle. maybe he is headed in the right direction who knows, I'll keep hoping he is though but I wan't to see him win a game by himself. Like Jim Kelly stated before a NFL quarterback must be able to put the team on his back at least 3 games a year and win a game by himself more or less. Taylor has shown he can throw a nice deep ball and a dump off but I wan't to see more pass's like I seen Sunday over the middle like the one Clay dropped. those are big time NFL pass's that's a must. If TT can keep improving in that dept he just might change my mind.

Night Train
12-07-2015, 06:16 PM
He's the QB at least through 2016. No one is replacing him now.

His last 8 games..2 turnovers and 15 TD's. Find a NFL coach who would dislike that. Progressing from 1 read and run to 2 reads and run to hopefully seeing more of the field going forward. Outstanding deep ball. Highest rated NFL passer in the 4th quarter. Pretty good for a 1st year starter with obvious upside.

Yeah..by all means bench him and go shake that QB tree. College is full of pro ready QB's making 3 reads and rarely turning the ball over.

:rolleyes:

Lucidvizion
12-07-2015, 06:31 PM
He's an accurate passer, he protects the football well, and he's been getting better in the pocket each week. It's his first season as a starter.... if we drafted a guy this year that played as well as Tyrod I think the overall tone of the discussions regarding him would be a lot more positive.

BuffaloRedleg
12-07-2015, 06:52 PM
For right now he is...

BertSquirtgum
12-07-2015, 06:52 PM
Tyrod sucks...

mdcas22
12-07-2015, 06:57 PM
one things for sure , the quarterback position is better than it has been now the Bills brass shouldn't sit on there arss and say ok we are fine at QB. keep drafting no matter. If a guy comes in and is better than TT then the team gets better. every position should be looked at this way. never should the brass ever say they are set at any position.

BertSquirtgum
12-07-2015, 08:19 PM
I can accept the reality that the Bills need to give Tyrod one more year to see if he can put it all together. If he can play like he did against the Texans for 13-16 games next year then I would give him the nod as the Bills' starter for the foreseeable future.

paladin warrior
12-07-2015, 08:22 PM
Of course. Yes

Bill Cody
12-08-2015, 12:21 PM
Of course he is. We're going to sign him to an $82m extension. Haven't you heard?

swiper
12-08-2015, 04:25 PM
He's the QB at least through 2016. No one is replacing him now.

His last 8 games..2 turnovers and 15 TD's. Find a NFL coach who would dislike that. Progressing from 1 read and run to 2 reads and run to hopefully seeing more of the field going forward. Outstanding deep ball. Highest rated NFL passer in the 4th quarter. Pretty good for a 1st year starter with obvious upside.

Yeah..by all means bench him and go shake that QB tree. College is full of pro ready QB's making 3 reads and rarely turning the ball over.

:rolleyes:

Good game the needle goes up. Bad game it goes down. I'd like to see how the rest of the season turns out, but I wouldn't disagree with this post 2 days after that Houston win.

mdcas22
02-15-2016, 11:51 AM
Peyton is finished and Bortles, Tannehill, and Cousins haven't proven anything yet.

Peyton is finished now MAYBE, but he did win another superbowl.

IlluminatusUIUC
02-15-2016, 02:37 PM
Peyton is finished now MAYBE, but he did win another superbowl.

The 2015 edition of Peyton Manning belongs in the conversation with Dilfer as the worst championship season ever. He was atrocious this year and he got carried by an all-time defense.