PDA

View Full Version : Hogan "catch"

Thurmal
11-29-2015, 02:32 PM
I was watching this at a bar with no sound, so I'm a bit in the dark here. He caught the ball and took four full steps, right? How was that ruled incomplete?

The Jokeman
11-29-2015, 02:33 PM
I was watching this at a bar with no sound, so I'm a bit in the dark here. He caught the ball and took four full steps, right? How was that ruled incomplete?

I think the ref thought he saw the ball come out of Hogan's hands after he hit the ground.

Novacane
11-29-2015, 02:33 PM
NFL refs blow. A HC worth a damn would of challenged.

alohabillsfan
11-29-2015, 02:37 PM
Rex blew it!!

The Jokeman
11-29-2015, 02:38 PM
NFL refs blow. A HC worth a damn would of challenged.

A HC shouldn't have to fix mistakes made by game officials. Nobody knows what a catch is anymore so the refs call whatever they damn well please and hope a replay/challenge will fix their mistakes. What's horrible to me is when games have a guy like Mike Carey watching the game from home/the both that can see the replay and spot that the officials made a mistake but nothing in the game can be done to fix the wrong if a team elects not to challenge the call. I think it's only a matter of time where the NFL will have to add an off the field official as if calls keep getting blown it is only going to make the league look bad which is the last thing the NFL wants to do.

THE END OF ALL DAYS
11-29-2015, 02:39 PM
****ing A. The REF blew the call not Rex. Rex blew the challange. once agian the bills get ****ed by the refs

Ginger Vitis
11-29-2015, 02:40 PM
Rex just said in his PC he thought it was too "close" and if he challenged the Hogan non catch it wouldn't have been overturned... I don't think needed more validation Rex is clueless but this is the icing on the cake..

Typ0
11-29-2015, 02:42 PM
Rex just said in his PC he thought it was too "close" and if he challenged the Hogan non catch it wouldn't have been overturned... I don't think needed more validation Rex is clueless but this is the icing on the cake..

he is so full of ****. They didn't know what was going on.

Ginger Vitis
11-29-2015, 02:42 PM
OK maybe it isn't entirely Rex fault but whoever is watching the plays and advising Rex on whether to challenge calls or not is doing a piss poor job

Typ0
11-29-2015, 02:43 PM
Basically it's Ryan's call so if they don't show it on the opposing teams jumbotron he doesn't get to see it and there is no challenge. That is what Rex Ryan said at his presser. That is the system Rex Ryan has in place to get this critical element of the game correct. Incompetence.

Ginger Vitis
11-29-2015, 02:44 PM

Yep that is the impression I got from listening to him... He is out to lunch..confused.. and flummoxed

justasportsfan
11-29-2015, 02:48 PM
It's Rexs job to make sure that people around him are doing their job. When everyone is doing their job, we win. When you don't hold anyone accountable for NOT doing their jobs, you lose.

I think it is more important for Rex to be liked by his people than for him to win games.

Whoever is in charge of the bills reviews and advising Tex is most likely to get a hug from Rex.

Thurmal
11-29-2015, 02:59 PM
I think the ref thought he saw the ball come out of Hogan's hands after he hit the ground.

So, wouldn't that have been, at worst, a fumble Hogan recovered?

Mr. Pink
11-29-2015, 03:02 PM
Here's the thing with Hogan...yes I think it was likely a catch before I say this...

Most guys who are involved in that circumstance start jumping up and down and heavily saying they caught the ball either through what they say or by hand motions. Hogan made no representation when he got up that he caught that ball.

Based on Hogan's reaction to the incomplete call, maybe he knew he didn't actually control it.

kscdogbillsfan1221
11-29-2015, 03:08 PM
Here's the thing with Hogan...yes I think it was likely a catch before I say this...

Most guys who are involved in that circumstance start jumping up and down and heavily saying they caught the ball either through what they say or by hand motions. Hogan made no representation when he got up that he caught that ball.

Based on Hogan's reaction to the incomplete call, maybe he knew he didn't actually control it.

i was thinking the exact same thing. if a player truly believes it's the wrong call, they are usually freaking out and chirping in the coaches ear to challenge

ICRockets
11-29-2015, 03:10 PM

I'm wondering if Rex said something earlier in the game to put the kibosh on that kind of behavior after it cost us a challenge when Woods did it.

The Jokeman
11-29-2015, 03:10 PM
So, wouldn't that have been, at worst, a fumble Hogan recovered?

By today's NFL rules it's a non catch if the WR didn't secure the ball while going down. I think it was a catch but don't blame Ryan for not calling for the review as we still had two more downs to get 10 yards to sustain the drive and allow us to keep a timeout incase the replay didn't convince the ref it was a catch.

Skooby
11-29-2015, 03:14 PM
I want to be super clear here, coaches challenges are no longer relevant at the 2:00 mark or after so him saving it and then taking a timeout on the 4th down play shows me how clueless he really is.

The Natrix
11-29-2015, 03:19 PM
I'm having trouble thinking of a worse "no challenge decision" in NFL history.

And no matter how you slice it, it's on Rex. The guys in the booth who's job it is to relay info to the coach are prepared and maybe hired by Rex.

Thurmal
11-29-2015, 03:22 PM
By today's NFL rules it's a non catch if the WR didn't secure the ball while going down.
Not after four full steps after the catch.

DynaPaul
11-29-2015, 03:22 PM
On a positive note the Chiefs did cover the 7.5 point Vegas spread from those dubious calls.

starrymessenger
11-29-2015, 03:27 PM
OK maybe it isn't entirely Rex fault but whoever is watching the plays and advising Rex on whether to challenge calls or not is doing a piss poor job

Rex says he takes no advice from the coaches booth and makes all decisions himself.
The coaches coach.

Famous Amos
11-29-2015, 03:27 PM
I thought it was odd to hear Rex say that whoever is his replay guy, he's at the mercy of what is shown in the stadium, so if the big screen doesnt show a replay of a certain play that ought to be challenged, they would have to challenge it blindly.

Novacane
11-29-2015, 03:37 PM
I thought it was odd to hear Rex say that whoever is his replay guy, he's at the mercy of what is shown in the stadium, so if the big screen doesnt show a replay of a certain play that ought to be challenged, they would have to challenge it blindly.

Odd? You are way to kind. I find it enraging if they really don't have a guy in the booth looking at every close play. Talk about incompetence! The more Rex talks the more depressed I get.

Historian
11-29-2015, 03:39 PM
Even Watkins held the ball up on the first TD, to show that he had maintained possession, despite the Chief defenders trying to knock the ball out, while out of bounds.

Hey, if it works for the Cheaters, why not everybody else, right?

Famous Amos
11-29-2015, 05:22 PM
Odd? You are way to kind. I find it enraging if they really don't have a guy in the booth looking at every close play. Talk about incompetence! The more Rex talks the more depressed I get.

Apparently and according to bylaws, its at the discretion of the home team to display replays on their big boards. I found it odd because the Bills don't have other resources to help them. What the hell is the point of those Microsoft tablets? Don't they have someone taping the game too? I figure it's in the Bills not doing what they can to help themselves, within the rules of fair play.

swiper
11-29-2015, 05:30 PM

Same ***** show he ran in NYC. Exactly the same. He's a bumbling buffoon.

- - - Updated - - -

starrymessenger
11-29-2015, 05:31 PM
Apparently and according to bylaws, its at the discretion of the home team to display replays on their big boards. I found it odd because the Bills don't have other resources to help them. What the hell is the point of those Microsoft tablets? Don't they have someone taping the game too? I figure it's in the Bills not doing what they can to help themselves, within the rules of fair play.

They could simply watch tv like me and 100 million other viewers and they would have made all the right calls.

YardRat
11-29-2015, 06:04 PM

- - - Updated - - -

Normally I hop on **** like this when it happens with a smartass remark, but the above is so true it deserves to be repeated.

Victor7
11-30-2015, 09:11 AM
It was a catch. No doubt about it. Hogan took 4 steps with the ball secured. It only came loose when he hit the ground. The ground can't cause fumbles so it should've been ruled a catch and then a no fumble. If the ball comes loose when he goes down right after making the grab then the whole "complete the process of a catch" thing comes into play and its incomplete. But Hogan took 4 steps with the ball, no bobbling, no nothing before getting tackled. Yet another enormous miss by the refs. And yes Rex ****ed up not challenging but he shouldn't have to. Refs can't miss such an easy call.

Refs also blew the spot on a 3rd down run from Smith

Refs also blew the Maclin catch. It wasn't one

Refs just flat out blow.

Not blaming them. We more than make our own brand of suck. But its pathetic how bad they are and how much they influence games

gebobs
11-30-2015, 02:00 PM
Not after four full steps after the catch.

I guess you have to assume the official who made the call thought it came out earlier.

Sure, we shouldn't have to rely on the coach to fix the officials mess. But the fact remains, we do. Good coaches and staffs are on top of it. It has become apparent that the Bills are not. Everyone and their mother including the entire television crew agreed it was a catch. But our coach thought it was too close.

Clueless.