PDA

View Full Version : CAN'T WIN IN THE NFL WITH THE GROUND AND POUND

mdcas22
11-29-2015, 05:19 PM
No way can any team let alone the Bills win with a ground and pound attack. the way the rules are now its clearly a passing league, the teams with the best and most accurate passers are winning, if your lucking and have a QB like cam its even better.

YardRat
11-29-2015, 05:25 PM
Well I disagree, I think you can...as long Step 1 does not equal completely ****ing up an already established dominant defense.

Novacane
11-29-2015, 05:40 PM
The Vikings are doing it

mdcas22
11-29-2015, 05:44 PM
The Vikings are doing it

so far your right but there schedule is very weak and in time will lose out.

kingJofNYC
11-29-2015, 05:56 PM
Seahawks did it, rode Lynch and a generational D to a championship. That said, Wilson played well for them, he wasn't asked to carry the O, just do enough.

Its a passing league, and teams should pass, but every now and again someone will buck the trend. Bills were never setup to win with either style to be honest.

mdcas22
11-29-2015, 06:12 PM
Seahawks did it, rode Lynch and a generational D to a championship. That said, Wilson played well for them, he wasn't asked to carry the O, just do enough.

Its a passing league, and teams should pass, but every now and again someone will buck the trend. Bills were never setup to win with either style to be honest.

wilson threw for 26 td's vs lynch's 1300 yards rushing. they passed more than they get credit for in 2013.

actually lynch had 1250 and 12 td's that year.

YardRat
11-29-2015, 06:16 PM
wilson threw for 26 td's vs lynch's 1300 yards rushing. they passed more than they get credit for in 2013.

They were 26th in passing yardage in 2013, and 31st in attempts, so I'm not seeing exactly where they deserve more credit for throwing the ball.

kingJofNYC
11-29-2015, 06:26 PM
They were 26th in passing yardage in 2013, and 31st in attempts, so I'm not seeing exactly where they deserve more credit for throwing the ball.

Not only that but they basically passed in third and 5 or less. Kept distance manageable for Wilson. Saw some crazy numbers a while ago with regards to their situational passing, if I find the link I'll post it.

mdcas22
11-29-2015, 06:35 PM
Wilson was 16th in the league with 3300 yards so I don't no how they were 26th in the league.

they were 26th in total yards that year.

avg 26.9 att passing a game

avg 31 att rushing a game

IlluminatusUIUC
11-29-2015, 06:48 PM
You <i>can</i> win with ground and pound, but it's a very difficult proposition. You can't beat yourself with penalties, you can't get into a deep hole with bad defense, and you can't turn the ball over. That requires a hell of a lot more discipline then you'll get from a Ryan team.

mdcas22
11-29-2015, 06:57 PM
You can win with ground and pound, but it's a very difficult proposition. You can't beat yourself with penalties, you can't get into a deep hole with bad defense, and you can't turn the ball over. That requires a hell of a lot more discipline then you'll get from a Ryan team.

I think Rex thinks he is a great defensive mind when in fact he really isn't, he has had a couple of top 10 defense while in new York but never amounted to anything.

IlluminatusUIUC
11-29-2015, 07:00 PM
I think Rex thinks he is a great defensive mind when in fact he really isn't, he has had a couple of top 10 defense while in new York but never amounted to anything.

I've said it a couple times, Rex has never had an elite defense without a hall of famer in the secondary.

mdcas22
11-29-2015, 07:08 PM
I've said it a couple times, Rex has never had an elite defense without a hall of famer in the secondary.

and they got lucky 1 year and made it to the afc championship. Rex will dismantle this defense and rebuild it in his image.

justasportsfan
11-29-2015, 07:11 PM
You can if you had a dominant D and a QB who can occasionally make defenses pay when they stack the Los.

mdcas22
11-29-2015, 07:31 PM
You can if you had a dominant D and a QB who can occasionally make defenses pay when they stack the Los.

I want a QB that can thread the needle not wait for a wr to get 5 yards on his man before he throws it. although today TT did chuck it a couple of times to Sammy to make a play.

Turf
11-29-2015, 07:43 PM
Ground and pound doesn't mean run the ball into the red zone then try trick plays to score or get 3 yards.

BuffaloRedleg
11-29-2015, 07:52 PM
It is hypothetically possible to win that way, but practically speaking it really isn't a strategy you should attempt.

If you have a good QB you'll always be competitive, but if you are relying on a RB and good defense your margin of error is razor thin. You have to play nearly flawless football to win that way, which with a team like Buffalo isn't possible. We take far too many penalties to overcome this issue.

Get behind in a game due to a few mistakes or a bad call essentially spells doom for a team that doesn't have a franchise QB.

How do you get a good QB? You try and try and try until you get lucky. It's a silly little league with only one real way to win and I wish it would go away.

coastal
11-29-2015, 07:54 PM
The NFL is crap

Turf
11-29-2015, 10:29 PM
The NFL is crap

Goodell to go after his money model has run the on field product into the ground. It's a **** product riding on the coat tails of fantasy football. Not enough plays, commercial after commercial while we review replays, did he have possession of the ball. Was his foot in? Did he make a football move? Did the ball touch the ground? 6 minutes later..... Boring.
Give me my game back, and put the time back in so there's more plays in the game, and less controversy. And let the DB's play defense. Pass interference should only be blatant, not so touchy. This isn't basketball but it sure looks like it.

pmoon6
11-30-2015, 12:31 AM
No way can any team let alone the Bills win with a ground and pound attack. the way the rules are now its clearly a passing league, the teams with the best and most accurate passers are winning, if your lucking and have a QB like cam its even better.Probably true. The thing is the NFL will be the reason for it's own demise. By making the QB not just the focal point, but it's raison d'etre, when a QB goes out the team is not going to win the ultimate prize and that's all people care about today. That has led the NFL to try and protect it's marquee QB's with legalized holding and chicken**** roughing the passer calls. Also, in it's eagerness to make the game more exciting, it's completely bastardized the game with it's rules changes. The NFL has tried to insulate itself by creating their own Network and making others pay if they are critical. Their propaganda arm if you will. When you have to hire former officials to explain overly complicated rules for the viewers to cover up the fact that games are engineered to add excitement, the game became artificial. All that's left is the billions of dollars, teams, networks, sponsors, gamblers, players and coaches make from the charade.

They have seen their last dime from me, although the only thing I've spent money on is NFL ticket in the last 15 years because Buffalo is rarely on in my market.

coastal
11-30-2015, 05:40 AM
Goodell to go after his money model has run the on field product into the ground. It's a **** product riding on the coat tails of fantasy football. Not enough plays, commercial after commercial while we review replays, did he have possession of the ball. Was his foot in? Did he make a football move? Did the ball touch the ground? 6 minutes later..... Boring.
Give me my game back, and put the time back in so there's more plays in the game, and less controversy. And let the DB's play defense. Pass interference should only be blatant, not so touchy. This isn't basketball but it sure looks like it.
Yep... it's basically unwatchable.

i actually enjoyed watching the World Cup last year. It was a game. It flowed. It ebbed. It was watchable... soccer!

Cleve
11-30-2015, 11:30 AM
Well I disagree, I think you can...as long Step 1 does not equal completely ****ing up an already established dominant defense.

This is essentially what the Bills have been trying to do for the past decade, not successfully either. We had a bunch of fine RBs (Lynch, Spiller, Jackson) and of course now McCoy. Had some great defensive players and a solid defense. And scrubs for QBs. You're not going very far into the post season, if at all, with a Tyrod Taylor at the helm.

Of course, curiously, even with the lack of a credible QB, the team will still add big name receivers like T.O. or Watkins. I see the marketing "genius" of Russ Brandon behind such odd hires, instead of a coherent plan. Why in the world spend money for a big name receiver like T.O. when there's no one on the roster that can throw him the damn ball?? The Bills appear to be more interested in temporary "flash" to fill seats than a long term building program; and again, I blame Brandon for this culture at One Bills Drive. Scouts and Personnel Departments aren't 'sexy' - they don't sell tickets, but if only the Bills had the Talent Dept of New England, for example. The depth they've built at that team is amazing; big names leave or get injured, and there's another amazing player in the wings waiting to fill their shoes. With the Bills, one guy gets injured and it's a train wreck.

Again, the Bills can't "market" their talent department, or their scouts - so it's not a priority. The winning results would be though; but shortsightedness is a hallmark of Bills' management, especially the Marketing Genius In Chief.

YardRat
11-30-2015, 01:34 PM
Wilson was 16th in the league with 3300 yards so I don't no how they were 26th in the league.

they were 26th in total yards that year.

avg 26.9 att passing a game

avg 31 att rushing a game

This reference...

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2013/

...has them 17th in total offense (5424 yards)...26th is passing (3236 yards)...31st in attempts (420...26.25 per game)...2nd in rushing attempts (509...31.8 per game).