PDA

View Full Version : Ryan and replays

Mace
11-30-2015, 05:48 PM
More of my good cheer, but may as well vent it and get it out of the way.

It was Arrowhead Stadiums fault : http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000591441/article/rex-ryan-blames-arrowhead-stadium-for-replay-gaffes

But :

Here's where Ryan is wrong. The coaches' booth for both teams includes a standard broadcast truck feed, which is pumped in via the instant replay booth. Even if it was not seen in the stadium, Ryan's team had access to a replay of the Maclin catch on the standard broadcast feed. Between the completion of Maclin's catch and the start of the next play, the Bills (http://www.nfl.com/teams/buffalobills/profile?team=BUF) had roughly 34 seconds to decide whether or not to challenge the play (by my count). Even if there was a malfunction inside the booth with the broadcast feed, it was probably enough time to access a backup replay of the catch.

Not like he shouldn't know this if he's paying any attention to anything besides the Chaplain.

Oop, someone told him how it works, so now it's all on him and he'll fix it.

"Everything, ultimately, is my responsibility," Ryan said. "No question about it. I’m not pointing fingers at anybody else. It’s my responsibility. It’s my responsibility to get a process in place that’s effective. ... I think the process has held up until this, and what’s important now is we have to find a way to get better at it. I believe we have one in place now that will be more effective."

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2015/11/30/rex-ryan-says-changes-are-coming-to-bills-challenge-review-process/

Wowza. There sure is a lot of stuff to pay attention to as an HC, not like it's his first year as one though. Have to wonder what he's comprehended of the process in the last 6. I feel better Arrowhead Stadium is off the hook and we look much more competent though because now he knows how some stuff works.

BuffaloRedleg
11-30-2015, 06:24 PM
I don't really buy the chaplain thing. Sure the guy was standing right there and said something, but I think his explanation that everyone is always trying to give you advice in those situations is fine. That is kind of silly to think he is taking serious advice from the chaplain and just rolling with it. There's plenty to not like about Rex, but this is a little much.

These are the things that make Belicheat so successful. He has such a command of game flow and the analytics that go into decision making. That and they bend the rules every opportunity they get, but that's good coaching. He's the Hall of Fame coach the NFL deserves.

Mace
11-30-2015, 06:38 PM
I don't really buy the chaplain thing. Sure the guy was standing right there and said something, but I think his explanation that everyone is always trying to give you advice in those situations is fine. That is kind of silly to think he is taking serious advice from the chaplain and just rolling with it. There's plenty to not like about Rex, but this is a little much.

These are the things that make Belicheat so successful. He has such a command of game flow and the analytics that go into decision making. That and they bend the rules every opportunity they get, but that's good coaching. He's the Hall of Fame coach the NFL deserves.

I don't really think the chaplain was his source of advice either. But that's not really the point. In the final minutes of a close game, you can't really think any NFL sidelines will have the chaplain wandering over to yell at a coach trying to listen to his headset and work with his staff to manage the game.

It's really not a little much that he has the chaplain yelling advice and doesn't have the vaguest idea how replay works or who he's listening to that should be watching network feeds in the booth while the assistant director of player engagement is next to him and offering opinions.

107 games and 7 years into his head coaching career, this stuff shouldn't be happening.

Ed
11-30-2015, 07:19 PM
I've been to Gillette stadium a few times for Bills games and they never ever show replays of anything that could be challenged and hurt the Pats.

BuffaloRedleg
11-30-2015, 07:23 PM
I don't really think the chaplain was his source of advice either. But that's not really the point. In the final minutes of a close game, you can't really think any NFL sidelines will have the chaplain wandering over to yell at a coach trying to listen to his headset and work with his staff to manage the game.

It's really not a little much that he has the chaplain yelling advice and doesn't have the vaguest idea how replay works or who he's listening to that should be watching network feeds in the booth while the assistant director of player engagement is next to him and offering opinions.

107 games and 7 years into his head coaching career, this stuff shouldn't be happening.

I feel like I see coaches do this stuff all the time. Hell, Pete Carroll in the Superbowl managed the clock kind of poorly at the end there.

That doesn't take Ryan off the hook, it is definitely inexcusable. But these types of inexcusable things happen to 90% of the coaches in the league.

We've had this discussion before I think... I guess I just don't think Ryan is exceptional one way or another. I think you have like a small handful of good coaches, and a small handful of good QBs, and if you happen to have both then you are competitive regularly. This sort of game management stuff doesn't really interest me as I don't think it has nearly as much impact as having a good QB. I can't handle another coaching search right now, you have to give a guy a few years at least.

Mace
11-30-2015, 08:10 PM
I feel like I see coaches do this stuff all the time. Hell, Pete Carroll in the Superbowl managed the clock kind of poorly at the end there.

That doesn't take Ryan off the hook, it is definitely inexcusable. But these types of inexcusable things happen to 90% of the coaches in the league.

We've had this discussion before I think... I guess I just don't think Ryan is exceptional one way or another. I think you have like a small handful of good coaches, and a small handful of good QBs, and if you happen to have both then you are competitive regularly. This sort of game management stuff doesn't really interest me as I don't think it has nearly as much impact as having a good QB. I can't handle another coaching search right now, you have to give a guy a few years at least.

Yeah and that's fine. But I think Ryan is an inferior inflexible coach without a grasp of the game. The thought was that he finally figured out how to use the defense against the Pats, aggressive and confusing, and then the KC game.

Replay and booth activity is probably one of the first basics for anyone to get out of the way so you can concentrate on the field. He didn't even know how it worked.

No offense Ed above Redleg, but they get multiple feeds in the booth, just don't have to show them on the board. That's why you have guys in the booth. Anyone could have had the game on their Ipad and seen the same feeds. Ryan claimed he didn't know that and was counting on the board.

Redleg, this is his second chance. He was supposed to learn stuff from his failed first where he was known as a poor game/sideline manager. It's real hard to think the Bills don't have a budget for technology with them crowing previous about metrics.

Ryan isn't going anywhere. But it's been my experience that whether or not I can handle another coaching search, a junk coach will be a junk coach no matter how bad I feel about it, and giving a guy a few more years makes me suffer more.

I'm not saying Ryan should be fired (it's not going to matter any, he's signed for 27.5 million), I don't think he even should have been hired, he's not going anywhere. But if you aren't interested in game management issues, you aren't really seeing a coach for what he is, because sadly, it's a huge part of the HC job description.

You can give him a few years and fine, I'm not sure what you think will change because he doesn't, but ok. But I think most organizations at least hire staff that know how to use feeds and watch them if they get plopped in the booth. If the technology is beyond his grasp, I sure don't know what you think a staff will be able to do with a good QB, because they're sort of going to need to use it again. Indy has a good QB yeah ? Saints, Ravens, Tennessee very likely, Houston doesn't, the coaches all have a grasp of how replay and Ipads work.

Ryan can't "manage" with much of anything, he's not even 90% of the coaches in the league who do. Roman wasn't next to him, or Lee the passing guy, Lal the receivers coach, the chaplain was.

He doesn't know what he's doing, but figures he can motivate people into knowing better. If you want to wait a few years before seeing the obvious, that's fine, but I already see he doesn't know what he's doing or he'd have done the same to Alex Smith as he did to Brady, and he'd know how the hell replays work and who sees them without looking at the fan scoreboard.

Ed
11-30-2015, 08:50 PM
Yeah and that's fine. But I think Ryan is an inferior inflexible coach without a grasp of the game. The thought was that he finally figured out how to use the defense against the Pats, aggressive and confusing, and then the KC game.

Replay and booth activity is probably one of the first basics for anyone to get out of the way so you can concentrate on the field. He didn't even know how it worked.

No offense Ed above Redleg, but they get multiple feeds in the booth, just don't have to show them on the board. That's why you have guys in the booth. Anyone could have had the game on their Ipad and seen the same feeds. Ryan claimed he didn't know that and was counting on the board.

Redleg, this is his second chance. He was supposed to learn stuff from his failed first where he was known as a poor game/sideline manager. It's real hard to think the Bills don't have a budget for technology with them crowing previous about metrics.

Ryan isn't going anywhere. But it's been my experience that whether or not I can handle another coaching search, a junk coach will be a junk coach no matter how bad I feel about it, and giving a guy a few more years makes me suffer more.

I'm not saying Ryan should be fired (it's not going to matter any, he's signed for 27.5 million), I don't think he even should have been hired, he's not going anywhere. But if you aren't interested in game management issues, you aren't really seeing a coach for what he is, because sadly, it's a huge part of the HC job description.

You can give him a few years and fine, I'm not sure what you think will change because he doesn't, but ok. But I think most organizations at least hire staff that know how to use feeds and watch them if they get plopped in the booth. If the technology is beyond his grasp, I sure don't know what you think a staff will be able to do with a good QB, because they're sort of going to need to use it again. Indy has a good QB yeah ? Saints, Ravens, Tennessee very likely, Houston doesn't, the coaches all have a grasp of how replay and Ipads work.

Ryan can't "manage" with much of anything, he's not even 90% of the coaches in the league who do. Roman wasn't next to him, or Lee the passing guy, Lal the receivers coach, the chaplain was.

He doesn't know what he's doing, but figures he can motivate people into knowing better. If you want to wait a few years before seeing the obvious, that's fine, but I already see he doesn't know what he's doing or he'd have done the same to Alex Smith as he did to Brady, and he'd know how the hell replays work and who sees them without looking at the fan scoreboard.
That was my point. This isn't something new. Teams aren't required to show replays on the big screen, and considering Rex has played at NE every year he should know this. His original excuses don't make any sense.

IlluminatusUIUC
11-30-2015, 09:10 PM
I don't care if the replay official was in the bathroom during that Maclin catch, you should always challenge a play of that significance that was so ambiguous on the field. It was a massive, momentum-swinging play that took them to the 3 yard line. Your defense had previously been shutting them down and now the offense is threatening to bring the game within one score. Challenge the call! If it gets overturned, great! If not, use the timeout you spent to get your damned defense under control, they had just given up 77 yards in 5 plays!

God that pisses me off every single time I think about it. Such an idiot move.

What makes it even more frustrating is that if Maclin had made that catch in the endzone, it would have been subject to automatic review and likely overturned without Ryan's input. Keeping him out of the endzone there probably cost us the TD.

Turf
12-01-2015, 09:47 AM
So Ryan did exactly what I expected. Why wasn't the coaching staff on top of this and other items from the start. No attention to detail. Too busy blabbering and going off about other stuff. Sloppy, disorganized, unaware, really unprofessional. This is why I've given up on the Bills this year. Extrapolate this over into the lack of time management, two minute drills, they just don't seem to have a grasp on what it takes to win. Casual fans have more savvy than they do. It's really amazing that someone with this much experience as a head coach never addressed it. What the hell has he been doing?

Victor7
12-01-2015, 04:06 PM
This coaching staff is very disorganized. Very amateur.

The continuous head set issues.

The team's chaplain talking to the HC in the final 2 minutes. Not any assistant or the OC or the QB coach. No no no guys, the chaplain. This is beyond comprehensible.

Head coach has no idea how the replay protocol for his team works. He relies on stadium feed which we all know doesn't always show dubious plays. It amazes me how every single on of us regular fans saw the bad calls and the opportunities to challenge big plays yet a professional NFL team didn't have anyone assigned to do so. And if they do have that someone, how can that someone be that inexplicably incompetent? It bother me greatly.

The inability to adjust in game. We stopped Kansas cold in the 1st quarter, they adjusted and we never did. Thinking the original stuff would work no matter what. The result ? Kansas scored on 6 of 7 drives at one point.

The god awful 2 minute drills. This is seriously painful to watch. They look so out of their league trying to run one.

This team is bush league. They are not professional enough to be successful. This is 100% on Ryan.

Turf
12-01-2015, 04:22 PM
NEWSFLASH:

The Bills just figured out they need someone in the booth to tell them if they should throw a replay flag, and that there other feeds they can see besides the stadium feed.

Next task at hand, figure out those damn battery chargers.....

Cheerleaders are next.

Two minute drill can't be instituted until training camp, things like calling plays at the line of scrimmage.

BuffaloRedleg
12-01-2015, 04:38 PM

I can't even argue with any of this. I'm just exhausted from the Bills and the NFL. I'm not even mad anymore, I'm just tired of having this same conversation over and over and over every single year.

Turf
12-01-2015, 04:45 PM
I hear some coaches are thinking of shining a laser at the feet of the Bills coaches during the game to see if they chase it around like a cat.

Mace
12-02-2015, 06:16 PM
I can't even argue with any of this. I'm just exhausted from the Bills and the NFL. I'm not even mad anymore, I'm just tired of having this same conversation over and over and over every single year.

Me too. I'm tired of wanting to argue it, tired of the aggravation that makes me want to argue it, and tired of not finding enough happy in any of it to calm me down when I get to the point of arguing it. Tired of looking for rays of sunshine, tired of watching games and expecting different results from the same old, tired of getting crankier week after week after being excited it's football again, tired of trying to ignore what makes me unhappy on Sundays, and tired of taking more joy in watching other teams I love more than my own every week.

One thing we can probably all agree on is that the whole thing is getting old.

BuffaloRedleg
12-02-2015, 06:22 PM
Me too. I'm tired of wanting to argue it, tired of the aggravation that makes me want to argue it, and tired of not finding enough happy in any of it to calm me down when I get to the point of arguing it. Tired of looking for rays of sunshine, tired of watching games and expecting different results from the same old, tired of getting crankier week after week after being excited it's football again, tired of trying to ignore what makes me unhappy on Sundays, and tired of taking more joy in watching other teams I love more than my own every week.

One thing we can probably all agree on is that the whole thing is getting old.

The only thing that interests me about football these days is figuring out how some franchise can be such abortions and others so semi-consistently successful. Generally speaking if you get enough good players in other sports and a decent enough coach you will be able to make the playoffs.

In football, it's just so different. There are great coaches and then there is everyone else. There are great QBs and there is everyone else. There's pretty much only one way to win. The rules are so far beyond convoluted that the referees don't even understand them, and we now blame coaches for not using their challenges wisely.

Really though, I can't see how I could recommend this sport to someone who isn't already involved. I'd warn them to stay far away before it sucks you in and you can't get out. So you aren't like us having the same head scratching conversation trying to make sense out of this league every year. And it's getting worse.

Mace
12-02-2015, 06:34 PM
The only thing that interests me about football these days is figuring out how some franchise can be such abortions and others so semi-consistently successful. Generally speaking if you get enough good players in other sports and a decent enough coach you will be able to make the playoffs.

In football, it's just so different. There are great coaches and then there is everyone else. There are great QBs and there is everyone else. There's pretty much only one way to win. The rules are so far beyond convoluted that the referees don't even understand them, and we now blame coaches for not using their challenges wisely.

Really though, I can't see how I could recommend this sport to someone who isn't already involved. I'd warn them to stay far away before it sucks you in and you can't get out. So you aren't like us having the same head scratching conversation trying to make sense out of this league every year. And it's getting worse.

Cheerleader shots from teams that have them.

Cheer up buckaroo !