PDA

View Full Version : Report: buffalo awarded 2018 world juniors.

JATMtheJATM
12-03-2015, 01:37 PM
And it'll include an outdoor game possibly.

Now, rumors are rumbling thay buff may also get that years winter classic, though that isn't anything outside speculation.
http://www.tsn.ca/sources-outdoor-game-planned-for-2018-world-juniors-in-buffalo-1.403558

DetDannyWilliams
12-03-2015, 02:12 PM
Multiple sources confirm to The Buffalo News today that Buffalo has won the bid to serve as host of the 2018 World Junior Championships -- making the city the first American locale to host the top under-20 tourney in the world twice.

Terry Pegula, Sabres/Bills owner, and Russ Brandon, president of the franchises, will be joined at the news conference by USA Hockey Executive Director Dave Ogrean, assistant Mike Bertsch and president Jim Smith. The news conference will be televised on NHL Network and also streamed live at NHL.com and USAHockey.com.

The 18-yard-line, of course, gives some cute symbolism but why the Ralph and not have the announcement in First Niagara Center or HarborCenter, which is expected to host secondary games?
Because a major twist in Buffalo's bid is expected to be using the Ralph to host a game in the tourney, perhaps the showcase New Year's Eve event that is the highlight of pool play. There is no guarantee that would be a USA-Canada game because those teams may not play in the opening round (they didn't when the tournament was last here).

http://sabres.buffalonews.com/2015/12/03/buffalo-wins-bid-to-host-2018-world-junior-championships-outdoor-component-at-ralph-expected-to-be-part-of-plan/

TAKE THAT HELL HOLE ST. LOUIS AND PITTSBURGH... YOU MAY HAVE THE SQEELERS AND CINDY CROSBY WHICH THE NHL GAVE TO YOU BY RIGGING THE LOTTERY
AND CANDY BAR (MALKIN) BUT BUFFALO IS HOCKEY HEAVEN

JATMtheJATM
12-03-2015, 02:19 PM
Already a thread for this. Do you even pay attention?

Dr. Lecter
12-03-2015, 02:20 PM
That's awesome

Looks like I have my New Years Eve and maybe New Years day plans already for then!

JATMtheJATM
12-03-2015, 02:22 PM
That's awesome

Looks like I have my New Years Eve and maybe New Years day plans already for then!

You'd have to imagine the NHL awards buffalo an outdoor game at that point. Right?

Dr. Lecter
12-03-2015, 02:26 PM
Oh yeah.

I would guess against Toronto, Montreal, Boston or my pick Edmonton.

JATMtheJATM
12-03-2015, 02:28 PM
Hey lecter, wanna merge this thread with the other thread? Less junk

Dr. Lecter
12-03-2015, 02:31 PM
I've thought about it, but I am also mega lazy right now

Dr. Lecter
12-03-2015, 02:33 PM
OK. I got unlazy for a few seconds

Ginger Vitis
12-03-2015, 06:26 PM
Already a thread for this. Do you even pay attention?

If you haven't figured it out yet..DDW is obsessed with being the Sabres zone news breaker and he cant stand it when others break news before he has had a chance too so he just goes ahead and makes his own thread anyway

ckg927
12-04-2015, 12:33 PM
Why not include the Amerks in on the fun? Canisius? Niagara? The OHL? The NWHL's Beauts(presuming they're still around)?

Do what Detroit did when they got the Winter Classic...they put up another rink at Comerica Park and had 2 OHL games, an AHL tilt as well as public skating. Rochester had a lot of HS games and some college games when the Amerks got an AHL outdoor game.

Buffalo should do the same here.

JATMtheJATM
12-04-2015, 04:45 PM
Why not include the Amerks in on the fun? Canisius? Niagara? The OHL? The NWHL's Beauts(presuming they're still around)?

Do what Detroit did when they got the Winter Classic...they put up another rink at Comerica Park and had 2 OHL games, an AHL tilt as well as public skating. Rochester had a lot of HS games and some college games when the Amerks got an AHL outdoor game.

Buffalo should do the same here.

They may. I think buffalo eventually gets an OHL team

ckg927
12-04-2015, 05:01 PM
They may. I think buffalo eventually gets an OHL team

Maybe it's me, but unlikely. They'd have to curtain off the 300s for OHL games PRESUMING they even get a team. Mississauga, however, has been on a death watch for quite a while. People just do not go to Steelheads games(or whatever they've been known as before); that may have something to do with that place being as quiet as a church and dull to match, but likely it's because that if it's not the Leafs, good luck getting people to watch. That's what drove the Battalion out of Brampton and up to North Bay.

What does work in Buffalo's favor is that in at least 3 cities(Vancouver, Calgary and Edmonton), the NHL and junior hockey can co-exist.