The One Position That Is Hurting The Bills Defense The Most Is ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BillsImpossible
    • Mar 2013

The One Position That Is Hurting The Bills Defense The Most Is ?

Nose Tackle.

Coaching is not a position.

The Bills have a lot of DT's and zero NT's.

Not a single NT listed! How can that be?

Why is Mario Williams listed as a Defensive End when he's been playing linebacker all year?

When I think of Nose Tackles, Fred Smerlas, Ted Washington and Vince Wilfork come to mind.

In the current Bills 3-4 defensive alignment, who's playing Nose Tackle?

Who played the Nose last game against the Chiefs, can anyone remember?

A dominant NT can force outside runs and let linebackers make plays.

The Bills don't have that giant anchor of a player on defense, which is why our linebackers look like crap this year.

I thought Preston Brown was really good. What happened?

I thought Nigel Bradham would be great this year. What happened?

Marcell Dareus has the body of a Nose Tackle but he plays better in a 4-3 as a DT/DE, and it has been that way since he played for Alabama.

Speaking of Alabama, A'Shawn Robinson is the top rated Nose Tackle in the 2016 NFL Draft.

Rex Ryan can't have the best defense ever without a Nose Tackle that can dominate the line of scrimmage.

The Bills should make Marcell play every snap at NT for the rest of the season, and let Mario Williams and Jerry Hughes rush and contain the outside while Dareus controls the inside in my armchair GM opinion.
  • Mace
    Haha...yeah you think so ?
    • Mar 2013

Re: The One Position That Is Hurting The Bills Defense The Most Is ?

Major problem with this is that you'd need an NT who can drop into coverage for whatever the hell Ryan is doing.

The present defense doesn't have a two gap NT run stuffing tank because it isn't a Fairbanks-Bullough 3-4. It's a Ryan whatever. We don't run a classic 3-4.

From his use of Kyle and Dareus, it's apparent he's not looking for a dominant tackle at the line of scrimmage because he had two of them. He didn't use an NT as classic 3-4 run stuffer in NY either.

Ryan is hurting the defense the most, whether or not you want to say he's a position.

Comment

• YardRat
      Well, lookie here...
      • Dec 2004

Well...oh, nevermind.
      YardRat Wall of Fame
      #56 DARRYL TALLEY
      #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• stuckincincy
        Buffalo Bills Fan
        • Sep 2003

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
        Well...oh, nevermind.
        Something other than missionary?
        Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• Mace
          Haha...yeah you think so ?
          • Mar 2013

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
          Well...oh, nevermind.
          Nah, go ahead. I don't know what's going on and I don't have anything left to argue. Maybe they do need classic 3-4 people. Gonna take awhile. Doesn't matter, we're stuck with Ryan awhile anyway.

Saw a mock where they had the Bills take A'Shawn. I was like yeah ok, whatever.

Comment

• Oaf
            Do you read what you write?
            • Jun 2007

To hell w/ position, Duke Williams is the biggest liability of the unit.

Comment

• kingJofNYC
              • Sep 2009

I would say Age, Depth, and poor S/LB play before I mention NT. PFF had Dareus as the best run stuff last year.

Listen up, in 2013 the Bills ranked number 4 in Defensive DVOA under Mike Pettine who runs a similar scheme to Rex. In 2014, with an entirely different scheme, we ranked #2 in Defensive DVOA. This year we are 21st as of this past week and our main issues are poor S play, LBs (I mean we played with Tarpley for a quarter plus and cut him the next day, what does that say about the position?), and age/injury catching up to Kyle Williams, and probably Mario too, guy is on the backside. We had a good defense under two different coordinators the last couple of years, there was going to be a slide eventually, we just fell off completely instead of just sliding. It was pretty crazy that we thought Rex could make the D better, it was already good, we could have moved up to #1 in DVOA, but there was a better chance of going down from #2 than going up to #1.
              Last edited by kingJofNYC; 12-05-2015, 10:51 PM.

Comment

• Typ0
                honey pie
                • Jul 2002

If coaching is not a position then how did the coaching single-handedly hand over the biggest game of the year last week?

Comment

• coastal
                  Legendary Zoner
                  • Mar 2005

Rex Ryan is a brand. Not a coach.

football isn't happe ring under his watch.

Comment

• Novacane
                    • Jul 2002

Rex has turned good players into average to below average players. He's what's hurting the defense. There isn't a close 2nd!

Comment

Working...
                    X