• Show
Clear All
  • mdcas22
    the mouth of the south
    • Aug 2015

MARIO STILL NOT HAPPY WITH THE DEFENSE

Mario Williams says Buffalo defense still hasn’t changed

Posted by Mike Florio on December 5, 2015, 8:18 PM EST
    In October, Bills defensive end Mario Williamscomplained about the number of times he drops into coverage in coach Rex Ryan’s defense. On Friday, he was asked whether the defense has changed.
    We’re still doing the same thing,” Williams said, via Vic Carucci of the Buffalo News.
    Williams added that he’s still adjusting to Ryan’s scheme.
    “I can’t say it surprises me,” Williams said. “It depends on where you’re at. If you’re doing something totally foreign, to a certain extent – I’m not going too far of a stretch – but if you’re doing something totally different, it is different. If you’ve got a different view, if you’ve got a different look, a different perspective from what you are accustomed to doing, then it is definitely not out of the question to feel like you’re still adjusting to it.”
    The adjustment continues Sunday, as Williams faces a Texans team that made him the first overall pick in the draft in 2006.
    It’s not just Williams. The entire defense continues to adjust; the Bills have only 16 sacks this year, which ties them for third lowest in the entire league.
    The Bills also have six losses in 11 games. With one more, they’ll match last year’s entire total.
  • Mace
    Haha...yeah you think so ?
    • Mar 2013

Re: MARIO STILL NOT HAPPY WITH THE DEFENSE

Not at all unreasonable.

Ryan is an idiot.

Comment

• DynaPaul
      • Sep 2003

No more d-line in coverage. That's ridiculous.

Comment

• stuckincincy
        Buffalo Bills Fan
        • Sep 2003

TO: Mario

Stop this cloaked whining about not toting up your sack incentives cash, and start tackling runners, and maybe, just maybe, rack up an assist now and then.
        Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• Mace
          • Mar 2013

Originally posted by stuckincincy View Post
          TO: Mario

Stop this cloaked whining about not toting up your sack incentives cash, and start tackling runners, and maybe, just maybe, rack up an assist now and then.
          In coverage. Grab that WR running past you for the 8 yard penalty instead of the 35 yard completion you fool ! Run across that field after dropping back to snare that back running outside the tackle box on the opposite side of the field before he gains more than 3 yards you slacker, ignore your coaches and follow your instincts unless it works bad you malcontent !

A complete NFL DE is probably a DE not an OLB wannabe sometimes DE sort of, yeah ? Maybe not to some people.

Comment

• stuckincincy
            Buffalo Bills Fan
            • Sep 2003

Originally posted by Mace View Post
            In coverage. Grab that WR running past you for the 8 yard penalty instead of the 35 yard completion you fool ! Run across that field after dropping back to snare that back running outside the tackle box on the opposite side of the field before he gains more than 3 yards you slacker, ignore your coaches and follow your instincts unless it works bad you malcontent !

A complete NFL DE is probably a DE not an OLB wannabe sometimes DE sort of, yeah ? Maybe not to some people.
            He was a one-trick pony before Ryan showed up.

And remember, he was the dip-shiatt that ponied up over three quarters of a million for an engagement ring for a honey pie:

I wouldn't want a jamoke like that on my team on that basis alone.

Comment

• Mace
              • Mar 2013

And remember, he was the dip-shiatt that ponied up over three quarters of a million for an engagement ring for a honey pie:

Maybe you wouldn't but last years defense was just fine. You have a one trick pony you ride that pony, you move it around, ride it more if you're a defensive wizard. I mean you have the guy no helping it, why not use him ? Hello ?

Comment

• BertSquirtgum
                Legendary Zoner
                • May 2009

This post is so ****ing stupid that I actually laughed at it. Defense was great last week without Mario.

Comment

• kingJofNYC
                  • Sep 2009

We won't hear much from Mario next year, pretty much bet on it.

Comment

• stuckincincy
                    Buffalo Bills Fan
                    • Sep 2003

Originally posted by Mace View Post
                    Maybe you wouldn't but last years defense was just fine. You have a one trick pony you ride that pony, you move it around, ride it more if you're a defensive wizard. I mean you have the guy no helping it, why not use him ? Hello ?
                    I don't think it was., regardless of overall stats - which is different than situational stats.

They sold out for the sack the past few seasons. Their lousy records gave them easy opposition. After last year's over-500 record, they were again handed a SOS among the easiest.

A front four of pass-rushers Mario and Hughes, aging and dirty-playing Kevin Williams, and on-this-game Dareus and off-the-next doesn't impress me. A canny opponent sees these incentive babies and calls accordingly. I think Rex is a bombast, but he's been around the block, so we have to ask ourselves WHY he would order his prim donna DLs back into pass coverage? Have LBs bounce in and out of the LOS?

BUF LBs blow. For decades.

They have SO much $$$ into Hughes and Mario, they don't dare draft into the DL position. Not that they did much of that before, save the dumb McCargo deal.

Bit*h as one might, this management brought this on, decided to fill the roster with high-priced FA toys.

Comment

• Mace
                      • Mar 2013

I don't think it was., regardless of overall stats - which is different than situational stats.

They sold out for the sack the past few seasons. Their lousy records gave them easy opposition. After last year's over-500 record, they were again handed a SOS among the easiest.

A front four of pass-rushers Mario and Hughes, aging and dirty-playing Kevin Williams, and on-this-game Dareus and off-the-next doesn't impress me. A canny opponent sees these incentive babies and calls accordingly. I think Rex is a bombast, but he's been around the block, so we have to ask ourselves WHY he would order his prim donna DLs back into pass coverage? Have LBs bounce in and out of the LOS?

They have SO much $$$ into Hughes and Mario, they don't dare draft into the DL position. Not that they did much of that before, save the dumb McCargo deal.

Bit*h as one might, this management brought this on, decided to fill the roster with high-priced FA toys.
                      Kevin is one of the only Williams's we don't have. You always start with a line, we had one, now we don't. Might not have impressed you but it was one thing we didn't have to worry about. Building on that with coverage corners, shouldn't be an issue if you use your safeties and LB's as a defensive wizard might.

Nah. The obvious is always the obvious.

I don't know what else to say.

Comment

• TacklingDummy
                        Unreachable Douche
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by BertSquirtgum View Post
                        This post is so ****ing stupid that I actually laughed at it. Defense was great last week without Mario.
                        They did?
                        They gave up 30 points
                        413 yards
                        0 turnovers
                        0 sacks
                        Made Alex Smith look like Joe Montana with 3 TDs.

Comment

• YardRat
                          Well, lookie here...
                          • Dec 2004

They were the only defense in the league to rank in the top 10 of ten of eleven major statistical categories, and just missed a clean sweep by one spot. They stuffed the run...defended the pass...got off the field on third downs...created turnovers...got sacks...kept points off of the scoreboard. I don't know what more one could ask, except for maybe get a little better the following, which the opportunity was there to do so but disregarded.

The answer to your WHY is because the real one-trick pony is Ryan, who obviously can only coach a defense that he knows and is comfortable with and can't adapt based on the strengths of the players on the roster.

There really aren't that many players in the league that are skilled and versatile enough to excel regardless of what scheme they are plugged into, as a matter of fact it is pretty rare. The only two the Bills may have could be Gilmore (who has been solid and improving under Pettine, Schwartz and Ryan) and Dareus (but who, as we've all seen this season, can also be neutered by being plugged into a system that has him dropping into coverage on too far of a regular basis).

This should have been a no-brainer...keep the D and ST's intact, and bring in guys that could help fix a pathetic offense. But nooooo...they had to hire a guy that isn't smart enough to see what has been handed to him and ended up blowing everything up.
                          YardRat Wall of Fame
                          #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                          #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• pmoon6
                            Legendary Zoner
                            • Dec 2002

Buffalo linebackers have blown for decades? Either you don't know what a decade is or you just started watching them a few years ago. From Talley and Biscuit, to Paup and Spielman to Spikes and Fletcher. Good linebackers all. When you drop a defensive lineman back and let the LB fill the void, it's usually a mismatch with a guard or a tackle blocking the backer. Brown and Bradham are good backers, but because we are losing, they blow, eh.

I don't put the lack of success on the players, the coaches aren't letting the front seven do what they have done well the past year or two. Then we hear the usual BS from Rexy about communication, difficult system, blah, blah, blah.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I think Rex wanted to have a defense like his Daddy and secure his legacy as a "genius". It hasn't worked and he really hasn't adjusted to make it work.

It's on him.

Comment

• Typ0
                              honey pie
                              • Jul 2002

I praise Williams for doing his job despite the stupidity of the coaching staff...we are very lucky to have him on the squad.

Comment

Working...
                              X