PDA

View Full Version : Proclamation

DesertFox24
12-09-2015, 10:37 AM
if the Pegulas do not extend Doug Whaley and he is gone, then I am done as a fan of this team.

yes the guy has made mistakes but we had zero talent when he and buddy came to town and he has in my opinion correctly built up the talent on this roster and routinely finds talent in mid to late rounds. You build a consistent winner through the draft, now i am not a fan of some of the blockbuster deals but I get why he did it for some of the guys.

This would be almost as bad as letting Polian go.

feldspar
12-09-2015, 10:44 AM

You'll catch hell for this part, regardless of your point.

Albany,n.y.
12-09-2015, 10:49 AM
If any one move would have you quitting the team as a fan, you're not much of a fan.

Many of us put up with a lot of Ralph's moves, like losing the #1 pick in the entire NFL draft to the CFL, making Harvey Johnson coach when he didn't want to, losing players to the USFL, and numerous questionable coach & GM hires-just to name a few of the more egregious moves-and we never left.

Yet one move (no matter what it is, it would be one move), WHICH MOST LIKELY WON'T HAPPEN would have you abandoning the team?

What's the real point of your proclamation? Boredom?

Joe Fo Sho
12-09-2015, 11:00 AM
I don't think Doug Whaley deserves to get fired. This from a guy who probably hated the Sammy trade more than anyone and still does. I liked the Shady trade, but didn't like his new contract. You can't say that LeSean is not a big part of this team and a huge reason the offense is doing as well as it is. Every GM is going to have his good and bad moves, but overall this team is very talented.

I generally don't like firing a GM without letting the coach go with him. I think a GM should be hired before a coach and should be integral in hiring a coaching candidate. I think Whaley is tied to Rex. Remember when the Jets hired a new GM while Rex was still the coach? How'd that work out?

OpIv37
12-09-2015, 11:29 AM
I don't think Doug Whaley deserves to get fired. This from a guy who probably hated the Sammy trade more than anyone and still does. I liked the Shady trade, but didn't like his new contract. You can't say that LeSean is not a big part of this team and a huge reason the offense is doing as well as it is. Every GM is going to have his good and bad moves, but overall this team is very talented.

I generally don't like firing a GM without letting the coach go with him. I think a GM should be hired before a coach and should be integral in hiring a coaching candidate. I think Whaley is tied to Rex. Remember when the Jets hired a new GM while Rex was still the coach? How'd that work out?

You're asking the wrong question. It's the opposite of "does he deserve to get fired?" His contract is up. Did he do enough to get it renewed?

That's a tough call. He did great in this past draft despite not having a first round pick, he kept the DL together, and he definitely added talent this off- season.

But EJ and giving up two firsts for Watkins are extremely questionable. And you can put EJ on Nix but Whaley doubled down on him with Watkins and by cutting Cassell and forcing Rex to accept EJ as the #2. We still lack overall depth in key areas, noticeably LB and OL. And Whaleyxis responsible for coaching hires.....

Mr. Miyagi
12-09-2015, 11:32 AM
EJ was a bad pick. Whaley took a swing and missed. No question about that. But he also had many hits including Kiko, Darby, McCoy trade, Hughes trade, Miller, on and on. They more than make up for the EJ mistake.

I say extend him.

Mr. Pink
12-09-2015, 11:33 AM
He deserves to be fired.

He wrapped up 200m in a defensive line that a. is now underperforming and b. wasn't even necessary to acquire in the first place.

He traded for Cassel, cut Cassel, resigned Cassel, traded Cassel for less than he gave up to get him. Cut Gay, signed Cundiff, cut Cundiff, resigned Gay. Signed Thigpen, cut Thigpen, resigned Thigpen. Roster roulette stupidity.

Never brought in a QB worth jack.

Used 2 1st round picks on a WR.

Mr. Miyagi
12-09-2015, 11:38 AM
Never brought in a QB worth jack.

Used 2 1st round picks on a WR.
Tyrod is looking like the future.

Sammy is playing out of his mind right now. No one even remembers what we traded for him. You think any Atlanta fans cared about the picks they gave up for Julio Jones, at least when Ryan was playing well? Nope.

Joe Fo Sho
12-09-2015, 11:40 AM
You're asking the wrong question. It's the opposite of "does he deserve to get fired?" His contract is up. Did he do enough to get it renewed?

Good point.

I think his contract should be renewed. Just because we get someone different doesn't mean we get someone better. I'm fine with keeping Whaley where he's at instead of finding a new GM that would have to be on board with Rex. It's never good when a GM and coach butt heads, and it's less likely to happen when the coach was hired by the current GM.

justasportsfan
12-09-2015, 12:03 PM
He'll be re- signed. He and Russ get along very well.

Victor7
12-09-2015, 12:04 PM
Fire his sorry ass

Horrendous comparison to letting Polian go. Just flat out wrong.

Bill Cody
12-09-2015, 12:46 PM
Proclamation: we're 6-6. All this crap about extending contracts on TT and Whaley has me reaching for the barf bag. For the love of God could this team do something better than mediocre before we start handing out checks? The Bills are like Wall St after the crash.

Buffalogic
12-09-2015, 01:21 PM
If we make the playoffs he deserves renewal. I think he does either way, but if we don't make the playoffs he could be in trouble.

OpIv37
12-09-2015, 04:18 PM
Good point.

I think his contract should be renewed. Just because we get someone different doesn't mean we get someone better. I'm fine with keeping Whaley where he's at instead of finding a new GM that would have to be on board with Rex. It's never good when a GM and coach butt heads, and it's less likely to happen when the coach was hired by the current GM.

My concern is that Rex and Whaley are already butting heads. Clearly they don't agree with EJ. If Rex and Whaley get along behind the scenes, I'm okay giving Whaley another shot. Like you said, and as history has proven with this team, different isn't necessarily better.

But, I don't see Pegula eating Rex's salary, so if they can't get along, letting Whaley walk is the only real option.

swiper
12-09-2015, 05:42 PM
This is mid-week fluffery after a much needed win. The pendulum will swing 180 degrees if they lose to Philadelphia.

HAMMER
12-09-2015, 05:47 PM
My concern is that Rex and Whaley are already butting heads. Clearly they don't agree with EJ. If Rex and Whaley get along behind the scenes, I'm okay giving Whaley another shot. Like you said, and as history has proven with this team, different isn't necessarily better.

But, I don't see Pegula eating Rex's salary, so if they can't get along, letting Whaley walk is the only real option.

Rex needs to fall in line and work with the system, he is barely capable of coaching a football game let alone "ordering the groceries".

Whaley has made some mistakes, all GM's do, approx 50% of 1st round picks don't pan out. He is building something and deserves to continue that process. If he is fired it will be a big mistake. He has done a very solid job IMO.

Mace
12-09-2015, 05:49 PM
I guess I just see it differently. I wouldn't extend him.

Good : Darby (Ryan knows DB's, more credit to Ryan), WR Woods (half Nix), unfortunately brittle Kiko (also half Nix), Marquise (if you can give credit for getting a good ST in the 3rd round, half Nix). Incognito (was that Whaley or Ryan ?). Colton Schmidt absolutely.

Bad : Evidently Cyril Richardson, Seantrel Henderson, Kouandjio. Muffing a core unit that bad is not good. Manuel (and I still half blame Nix). Cassel, Cassel ? Bryce Brown. Gragg (still on the roster because he's a Whaley "find", don't like Mulligan but why cut him instead of Gragg to activate Whaley man O'Leary ?), Randell Johnson (Whaley man, still here, doesn't do anything)

Dubious : Watkins (great talent, unnecessary), McCoy (great talent, unnecessary), you get RB's & WR's cheap and easy with good scouting, Whaleys strength is supposed to be scouting. TE Clay. Demerits. Taylor (more Ryan than Whaley, might be brittle, how does it play out ?) Duke Williams, Preston Brown (I sure dunno).

Unknown, they're brittle : Miller & Karlos, not good signs for the physicality of their positions.

Just the way I see it, he overpays unnecessarily (Watkins, McCoy, Bryce, Clay), and has a tendency to get "not durable" guys for necessarily durable positions. If you remove the maybe-Ryan/Nix influence players, the overspend, and hurt guys, you get :

Good : Colton Schmidt

Not good : Richardson, Kouandjio, Henderson, Gragg, Johnson, Cassel, Bryce. I keep wanting the OL trio to develop, but I don't think it's happening.

Unknown : Preston Brown (personally think he's better than the defense allows him to be and prefer him in the good list, but there's no telling)

There's a lot to be said for the perfect marriage of GM/HC.....Incognito, Taylor (big maybe yet), Darby. Everyone says we're so loaded with talent. We're 6-6 and I think we just think we're loaded with talent...again. Talent isn't worth anything if it isn't producing. This isn't hockey.

I just don't see Whaley being more than scattershot with his supposed strong scouting background, and overly militant with keeping his imagined "finds".

Hate to say it, but we're more stuck with Ryan, so get a puppet who feeds Rex the guys he wants, so we can hurry the next organizational rebuild along already.

sudzy
12-09-2015, 05:58 PM
I'm kind of meh on Whaley. He has had his share of hits and his share of misses. He clearly doesn't know what he is doing at QB. I wouldn't fire him for the sake of seeing him fired. But, like every other spot on the team, if you can make an upgrade? Make it.

Turf
12-09-2015, 06:06 PM
Whaley should be replaced but with an upgrade. Not another average GM.

justasportsfan
12-09-2015, 07:07 PM
Whaley brought in awesome players. Built a great line-up.Rex made them suck. Ironically, Whaley was then one who hired Rex.

DesertFox24
12-09-2015, 10:11 PM
Why does everyone keep bringing up ej. We are not picking up his fifth year option so worst case scenario he is here one more year.

We are going to draft a qb regardless of how good Tyrod is because we need to start developing a guy as ej is not that guy.

Has anyone seen what Matt vassal has done in Dallas it is not like he was that much better than ej.

Victor7
12-10-2015, 09:18 AM

For sure.

Whaley was here when TPegs bought the team. Rex wasn't.

Rex is Pegula's hire. Whaley is a remnant from the Ralph era.

If someones getting axed it won't be Rex.

Bill Cody
12-10-2015, 09:42 AM
Why does everyone keep bringing up ej.

It's in the context of evaluating Whaley. It was Nix' decision but Whaley said he completely on board with the pick. It hasn't really worked out.

- - - Updated - - -

If someones getting axed it won't be Rex.

pity

Novacane
12-10-2015, 05:24 PM
if the Pegulas do not extend Doug Whaley and he is gone, then I am done as a fan of this team.

yes the guy has made mistakes but we had zero talent when he and buddy came to town and he has in my opinion correctly built up the talent on this roster and routinely finds talent in mid to late rounds. You build a consistent winner through the draft, now i am not a fan of some of the blockbuster deals but I get why he did it for some of the guys.

You had a point till you ended with this! Let one of his teams at leastmake the playoffs please!

DesertFox24
12-11-2015, 07:31 AM
You had a point till you ended with this! Let one of his teams at leastmake the playoffs please!

The point had to do with the fact that after Polian left our drafting went way down, until Nix and Whaley has surpassed Nix. I am not saying he is Polian but letting him go would be bad.

BuffaloRedleg
12-11-2015, 08:55 AM

That's a tough call. He did great in this past draft despite not having a first round pick, he kept the DL together, and he definitely added talent this off- season.

But EJ and giving up two firsts for Watkins are extremely questionable. And you can put EJ on Nix but Whaley doubled down on him with Watkins and by cutting Cassell and forcing Rex to accept EJ as the #2. We still lack overall depth in key areas, noticeably LB and OL. And Whaleyxis responsible for coaching hires.....

Methinks Pegula didn't get to be as rich an powerful as he has not letting people make mistakes from time to time. Running organizations requires talent recognition that goes beyond simple things like failure rate (of which Whaley is good anyways).

If you don't allow people make mistakes you end up with Dick Jauron and Chan Gailey. It's the safe option that will make the boss happy enough without putting your dick on the line. You have to allow your GM to take chances and make mistakes, that's how you learn and that's the only way you will grow.

Mediocrity has been tolerated for so long in this organization I'm surprised to see so many people calling for the head of someone who is actually not willing to accept that.

Historian
12-12-2015, 06:40 AM
I'm not a Whaley fan, but for once I would like to see and end to the coaching and GM carousel.

Let these guys do their jobs....give them some time to build a team.

And for God's sake, lets find a real quarterback.

feldspar
12-12-2015, 10:50 AM

And for God's sake, lets find a real quarterback.

How? Where?

Tyrod Taylor is playing better than a lot of people give him credit for. I think he hasn't thrown an INT since week 4, or something like that. He makes plays and doesn't turn the ball over. This is his first year starting, too. I think the powers-that-be did a great job of finding and nabbing him this year. If the defense was playing as well as it did last year, we'd be in MUCH better position to make the playoffs this year...a couple more wins, I'd say. Taylor is almost the perfect guy to have for the style of football the Bills want to play, especially when you consider what else is realistically available at the position.

Franchise QBs don't grow on trees, and I don't blame Tyrod so much for the position the Bills are in right now. If you want to give the Bills some time to build a team, you should also give Taylor some time to develop...as if you had the power to make that decision.

YardRat
12-12-2015, 12:02 PM
I don't care if your QB is Brady, Rodgers or Manning...draft a QB every year.

feldspar
12-12-2015, 12:47 PM
I don't care if your QB is Brady, Rodgers or Manning...draft a QB every year.

You can't see how that would create massive problems in the locker-room?

Not to mention snap-count, chemistry, etc? You can't give all those guys fair-shakes, for starters.

Nobody drafts a QB every year, and for 50 good reasons.

sdbillsfan2
12-12-2015, 01:17 PM
We werent a playoff team before he got here. And as on today are chances / odds of being a playoff team this year aren't looking good.
Still not convinced Ryan as coach was a good choice. He was the football guy in the room with the Pegulas . They relied on him for the football side.
We never got the whole story about the beef he and Marrone got into. I think Marrone said forget this bs and slimed his wayout the door. I never heard Freddie Jackson say anything bad about anyone but Whaley.
I think the backup talent on this team is lacking top to bottom.
He strikes me as the kind of guy that throws a ton of craP at the wall and hopes something sticks.
I don't think he is any special and can be easily replaced. Thing is the Pegulas don't strike me as the type that would dump him unless it cost them money.

YardRat
12-12-2015, 03:03 PM
You can't see how that would create massive problems in the locker-room?

Not to mention snap-count, chemistry, etc? You can't give all those guys fair-shakes, for starters.

Nobody drafts a QB every year, and for 50 good reasons.

You can't hit the lottery if you don't buy a ticket. Tear up and toss the losers, and buy another one next time around.