How in the hell are people calling for Whaley to be fired?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • X-Era
    What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
    • Feb 2005

How in the hell are people calling for Whaley to be fired?

Makes no sense to me.

Let's take a look at his accomplishments:
    1. Traded Kiko coming off a season long injury for one of the best RB's in the game
    2. Re-signed Jerry Hughes which might have been the most un-classic-Bills-GM move in the past several decades. That was after the big investment on the DL.
    3. Then turned around and extended Dareus which many thought we'd never pay for with, again, the huge investment already made on the DL
    4. Drafted the best CB on this team who is up for DROY... in the 2nd round
    5. Signed Tyrod Taylor who has played like the best Bills QB since Bledsoe... and out of literally nowhere. He signed a solid starting QB and the best one we've had in years... that alone deserves and extension
    6. Drafted Miller in the 3rd round who has been a solid starter since day one
    7. Drafted Karlos Williams in the 5th round
    8. Signed Incognito who has been our best OL to a modest contract
    9. Did NOT draft EJ
    10. Traded picks to move up and get one of the most dynamic WR's in the game who has yet to even be fully used... blame Rex and Roman for that
    11. Did not sign Byrd who got the huge money he wanted from NO and then has unperformed
    12. Extended Aaron Williams to less than Byrd money who then went on to perform at an even higher level
    13. Signed Clay to a contract Miami wouldn't match. Again, Rex and Roman are the ones not fully using him
    14. Has spent cap money to sign, extend, and re-sign many players. Was not afraid to spend. And has kept us under the cap each year with no significant cap casualty cuts

And that's just recent

Yet some point to:
    1. On the field play. What these players do on the field falls first and formeost on the coaches not GM
    2. Hiring Rex. This is hilarious because Pegula made the choice. Rex reports directly to Pegula and not to Whaley by design. That's how Pegula wanted it remember?
    3. Trading Cassel. This just in, Cassel sucks and has seriously sucked for Dallas. They probably gave him a gentlemen's agreement to let him go to try to catch on with another team since they wanted EJ as the backup. I have zero issue with Cassel being gone
    4. Players getting injured. Flat out hillarious

The GM is supposed to find the talent and provide a good enough roster to compete at a playoff level. Whaley has done that. Rex and the coaches are the ones misusing the talent. He gave them Wegman's groceries and they are burning everything. This roster is the best it's been since the last time we went to the playoffs. Yet Rex, Roman, and Thurman can't manage to properly utilize their talents.

I like Whaley way more than any previous version at GM since Polian. It's ridiculous at best to blame Whaley for what Rex is doing with this team.

Don't throw out the baby with the bath water here. Whaley is just fine. I hope we extend him to a long deal.

• Swiper
    Legendary Zoner
    • Sep 2010

Re: How in the hell are people calling for Whaley to be fired?

The ONLY thing he that looks really brilliant was getting Darby.

You far over-rate much of what you posted there, like the other draft choices. His next best was Preston Brown.

Karlos Williams, Miller and Incognito's play has been decent at times, but over-rated by some. Again, if the Bills lose 2 more games everyone will go from glass half full to glass half empty. Your post is just another mid-week manic post after a much needed victory. I get that. These moves all look better when the Bills are winning. But they have looked bad. All those players you mentioned have looked bad at times this year. So let's see how you feel on Wednesday after the next loss.

Comment

• X-Era
      • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Swiper View Post

You far over-rate much of what you posted there, like the other draft choices. His next best was Preston Brown.

Karlos Williams, Miller and Incognito's play has been decent at times, but over-rated by some. Again, if the Bills lose 2 more games everyone will go from glass half full to glass half empty. Your post is just another mid-week manic post after a much needed victory. I get that. These moves all look better when the Bills are winning. But they have looked bad. All those players you mentioned have looked bad at times this year. So let's see how you feel on Wednesday after the next loss.
      Karlos- 5th rounder
      Miller- 3rd rounder
      Incognito- cheap contract

Great value for all those players. I don't look at it like we need 11 studs starting on both sides of the ball. What he's added has made us better.

These moves look great to me period. Whaley provided a playoff caliber roster. Rex and the coaches are squandering it. Let's separate who's responsible for what.
      Last edited by X-Era; 12-09-2015, 06:01 PM.

Comment

• HAMMER
        I'm right, Miyagi is wrong.
        • Jul 2003

You are clueless. Sure, all players look bad at times, we all have bad days. Based on the lack of quality in your posting, you seem to have a bad day everyday.

Incognito is playing great football, Karlos Williams tied a record for scoring in every game he played (2 in one game), Miller has been good, especially for a rookie. Tyrod is near the top of the league in several categories and is only 10 starts into his tenure as a starter. Watkins is almost uncovereable, Hughes has been a top 20 defender the last two years, complete stud. I could go on but by now you should get the point.

Whaley missed on a couple of OL players in the draft, other than that he has been excellent. What this team sorely lacks is continuity of systems, coaches, and GM's. Turning the page again helps no one.

Comment

• Mace
          Haha...yeah you think so ?
          • Mar 2013

Went through it all in the proclamation thread. In essence we're loaded with overpriced, injured, and misguided talent (plenty of passing weapons for a rushing offense, which costs a lot of cap going forward for guys not getting touches and no way you can argue they're getting enough touches), and Whaley "finds" which aren't any good but he won't get rid of because he found them.

It's like a magic show, where a guy goes through all these busy motions that don't do much, when the trick itself is simple and not much really happened, but the guy did a lot to make it look like something was happening.

Imho.

Comment

• Turf
            • Jul 2002

The offensive line is and has been a shamble. That and EJ. Not sure who to blame Marrone on.
            Lou Saban: You can get it done, you can get it done. And what’s more, you’ve gotta get it done.

Comment

• Mace
              • Mar 2013

Originally posted by HAMMER View Post
              Whaley missed on a couple of OL players in the draft, other than that he has been excellent. What this team sorely lacks is continuity of systems, coaches, and GM's. Turning the page again helps no one.
              So he's been excellent except when he wasn't any good. Continuity with not-good for the sake of continuity is silly. 4 years of Donahoe and 3 of Nix was pretty continuous enough to tell you it would have been ridiculous to keep it going for the sake of continuity.

Comment

• X-Era
                • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Mace View Post
                Went through it all in the proclamation thread. In essence we're loaded with overpriced, injured, and misguided talent (plenty of passing weapons for a rushing offense, which costs a lot of cap going forward for guys not getting touches and no way you can argue they're getting enough touches), and Whaley "finds" which aren't any good but he won't get rid of because he found them.

It's like a magic show, where a guy goes through all these busy motions that don't do much, when the trick itself is simple and not much really happened, but the guy did a lot to make it look like something was happening.

Imho.
                Disagree with overpriced
                Injured is not Whaleys fault
                Misguided is also not on Whaley... that's on Rex
                Passing attack not using the players? Again, that's Rex and Roman. Rex reports directly to Pegula by his design

I feel like you're mis-assigning blame

Comment

• Mace
                  • Mar 2013

Originally posted by X-Era View Post
                  Disagree with overpriced
                  Injured is not Whaleys fault
                  Passing attack not using the players? Again, that's Rex and Roman. Rex reports directly to Pegula by his design

Dunno. There's an awful lot of not durable guys supposed to be playing durable positions you have to admit. You don't need to overspend on what you can scout when scouting is your strong suit, that's where your "finds" and udfa's come into play. Like at RB and WR.

Sure a lot is on Rex and Roman, I think Rex in particular is terrible anyway, but they both are what they are. Rex is all about his defense type guys, Roman is a running game man. So honestly, where is the value loading up on passing weapons ? I'm not real sure Rex and Roman badgered Whaley "get us passing weapons !" The big play for Watkins, you also have to admit, was frosting on a cake that wasn't baked, except Whaley was that sure of Manuel.

I respect your thought, really I do. I thought we had great talent before also, just miscoached and saw them do nothing when they went elsewhere. Great talent doesn't mean good players.

One more thing that people avoid, and I do too, is Marrone/Hackett/Manuel K-gun. That was Whaley standing tall as GM and grabbing the OL trio to support it, and Watkins, with his hand picked staff to make it so.

I don't like Rex as an HC, really I don't. I blame him plenty. But I think Whaley tries too hard, poorly judges talent for value, and just matches Ryan's bad with his own flaws.

He's not going to be a GM again after this if we let him go. You know it.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                    Peterman Sucks!
                    • Mar 2006

Originally posted by X-Era View Post

Misguided isn't on Rex, it's on Whaley.

Drafted Robert Woods in the 2nd round, then the following year he doubled down on EJ being the future by using two first round picks on a WR for him. Then went out and gave Charles Clay a stupid contract so Miami couldn't match it. While the offense still has no QB for any of that to matter. Meanwhile, while giving Clay stupid money, he went out and got a RB who obviously would end up being the focal point in the offense who also makes stupid money, especially in a league where running the football doesn't sustain success nor even really matter.

The passing attack is on Whaley for not bringing in a real NFL QB. We have one guy who can't protect the football and another guy who's a one read running back who is literally afraid to throw over the middle of the field. Which pretty much negates that 7m tight end for the most part.

You tell me what difference it would have made to pay Scott Chandler 3m instead of Clay 7m the way this offense is currently constructed? You tell me what difference it would have made to stay pat in 2014 and draft Brandin Cooks or Kelvin Benjamin instead of moving up to get Sammy the way the offense is currently constructed? Notice I said nothing about Beckham who is leaps and bounds better than Sammy nor the 2015 1st round pick who Cleveland wasted on Cam Erving.

Nor do I bring up the fact that Whaley has effectively hamstrung this team from being able to keep a franchise QB if Tyrod was such a thing or whoever they bring in this offseason is such a thing, since the franchise has 200m invested in a defensive line that matters as much as running the ball does in this league.

Comment

• YardRat
                      Well, lookie here...
                      • Dec 2004

I really like a lot the influx of apparent talent that Whaley has stocked the roster with since being promoted...and I agree with placing the lion's share of blame on Rex and his staff...but some of the things I don't like about Whaley...

1--Don't like the 'I acquire the players, the head coach plays them on Sundays' philosophy. A front office and coaching staff are supposed to work together as a team as much as the players do on the field. If I were an owner, I wouldn't hire a GM with that attitude, if I were a head coach I wouldn't want to work 'with' that guy, and if I were a GM I couldn't work that way myself.

2---Don't like the over-emphasis on acquiring flashy toys this past off-season and not placing a higher priority on the trenches.

3---Don't like the 'roster roulette' this season. Cassel--trade for, cut, re-sign, trade. Gay--cut, re-sign. Thigpen--cut, re-sign.

4---Don't like Freddie being cut, really don't like FJax coming out and alluding to Whaley being dishonest.

5---You know damn well that, regardless if the buck stops with the Pegulas, Whaley had a hand in the process of bringing Rex and his clown car into the fold.

2 and 3 are examples of basic roster mismanagement. 4 was just stupidity, both from a talent and intangibles standpoint, not to mention classless. 1 and 5 combined are almost completely inexcusable.
                      YardRat Wall of Fame
                      #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                      #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• YardRat
                        Well, lookie here...
                        • Dec 2004

lol...this thread was the first I visited tonight, and the proclamation one was the third...my apologies to Pink for unintentionally ripping his roster roulette comment.
                        YardRat Wall of Fame
                        #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                        #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Ginger Vitis
                          • Feb 2009

Incognito's play has been decent at times,
                          Most clueless thing you've ever said.. You have no clue what you're seeing offensive line wise

Comment

• Mace
                            • Mar 2013

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
                            lol...this thread was the first I visited tonight, and the proclamation one was the third...my apologies to Pink for unintentionally ripping his roster roulette comment.
                            Don't apologize to Pink, Mr. 145 power to give rep. He needs to be green by '19 or he'll be red if I'm dead. Plus 1 him. I'm struggling at my 14 power to give rep to move him up a bubble and have to talk way more than I want to in order to try.

Besides that, just heckle him in the comments when you plus 1 him if you disagree, or even if you agree. Pink could care less, and you're contributing to a Mace sanctioned cause that guarantees I won't be mean to you about Scott Chandler's career season.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                              Peterman Sucks!
                              • Mar 2006

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
                              The roster roulette thing is one of the most incompetent things I've ever seen a professional sports franchise do...not just in the NFL but any major professional sport.

I've never seen any team cut one guy to sign another, then the next week literally cut the guy they signed to re-sign the guy they cut to get him the previous week. Just reading it in those terms illustrates how absolutely idiotic the entire situation is and the brilliant GM here orchestrated that maneuver.

Comment

Working...
                              X