PDA

View Full Version : Bills 30 for 30 is tonight

Famous Amos
12-12-2015, 05:37 PM
I'm not young anymore but I was pretty young when the Bills were in their glory years. I grew up in Angola, NY about 45 mimutes from downtown Buffalo. At 31, I was 6 when they played the Giants in SB 25. I didn't watch it and have no recollection of it. I only remember one of the Dallas games, probably the second one.

My Dad was not a sports fan. My mom was, but not in the professional sports sense. She could tell you who was on the current team but she seemed to understand the significance of what was going on. So she bought me trading cards, felt pendants, sweatshirts and t shirts. However, I mirrors my father by ignoring the NFL because he felt it was a waste of time and just plain bad. He had his reasons I suppose.

Guys at school would talk about Kelly and Reed and Thurman and I would scoff or dismiss them. Because of my dad, I wanted to follow him.

So I don't remember those years too well because I didn't pay attention like I should have. I remember each ng onenof the late super bowls on a black and white 13 inch TV, with dials and rabbit ears. Nobody in the family was watching. It was set on and end table in the corner of the living room. The main TV was showing something else.

I bring this up because I'm a huge Bills fan and its unfortunately a large part of my identity. A win or loss shapes my work week. According to Shiva ( whatever his handle is on this forum) I'm a stupid Bills fan because I follow them blindly. I do so without any reccolection of success.

I don't know how tonight's show will make me feel. Older fans will have a more visceral reaction than me because they were more cognizant of how the super bowls affected the city and fans.

I posted this link on the Bills subreddit but that community seems to have fewer users than this forum.http://fredschrock.com/2013/09/08/buffalo-bills-boogie-youve-lost-that-winning-feeling/

I remember these songs.

These songs harken back to a day when a city had unlimited confidence in their team, backed by success. My god, I cannot imagine what it must have been lime to be in Buffalo when the team was this good. These songs embody that feeling. They are corny and lack much thought but they were made to celebrate one of the best teams in the histiry of the NFL.

Albany,n.y.
12-12-2015, 05:59 PM
I went to all 4 of the Super Bowls. I always thought it was a lot more painful for the Bills fans who watched it on TV, because each game I went on a little vacation & the only part of it that sucked was the final score. Everything else about going to those 4 games was great.

I remember the 1st one I was so wired that I didn't sleep much until after the game ended. I got my ticket as part of the Disney package at the Aud on the Tuesday after the AFC Championship game & all the way back to Albany I stopped at every Thruway rest stop, went into a bathroom stall & stared at the ticket for a few minutes. It was a good thing there was no week between the games, I might not have slept for 2 weeks if there had been.
I got better and slept more for the last 3 when I was a Super Bowl veteran and no longer a Super Bowl rookie.

Mace
12-12-2015, 07:17 PM
I was lucky enough to relish those years, but what kept me going was the memory of the AFL teams I was too young to enjoy, honestly. And oh how that team unified this whole city more than I thought possible.

YardRat
12-12-2015, 07:21 PM
I'm recording it...maybe watch it tomorrow as a pregame warm-up.

I'd like to experience the exhilaration (and relief) that I felt when Buffalo was thumping Oakland in the conference championship game just one more time before my clock hits 00:00. Good times.

Mr. Pink
12-12-2015, 07:35 PM
I lived in Cleveland for the first 3 Superbowl losses and since my family was from here, everyone gave me crap about it thinking I must like the Bills in some manner. Honestly, I hated the Bills during the Superbowl years and the 89 Divisional Playoff game vs the Browns is probably my favorite game I attended in person, of all football games.

I got to stick it to family members that the Bills couldn't beat the Browns in the playoffs and Kelly was choke artist who threw the game away on the goal line at the end of the game. They all blamed Harmon and I laughed and said your QB still blew it the next play. Then SB XXV happened and, bam, Kelly choke artist hit again and I mocked my family members saying if your QB had less of an ego, he woulda called more running plays and you would have won the game.

By the time the 4th Superbowl happened, I had already moved back here and it just wasn't fun to watch them lose the game anymore. I actually somewhat wanted them to win but never actually said it to anyone. After you get to 4 in a row, blowing 1 of them due to playcalling and ego - I will always maintain Kelly blew SB XXV - they deserved to get at least 1 W in there at the big game.

I felt the same about Elway and Denver, and trust me everyone in Cleveland hated that combo, when he made the SB versus Green Bay in 1997...I felt he was owed a win after losing 3 out of 4 years.

YardRat
12-13-2015, 10:28 AM
Wow. Just......Wow.

If you can make it through this without getting chills and misty-eyed I can't help you.

Joe Fo Sho
12-13-2015, 11:15 AM
That instantly became my favorite 30 for 30. I wasn't even sure I was going to like it.

ct bills fan
12-13-2015, 03:23 PM
I lost it with norwood at town hall. That town hall moment after sb25 was my proudest moment as a Buffalo fan. As for the entire 2 hour show, I thought it was very good but not great. No sure how to explain it but was expecting more. Thought they'd show Kelly leaving the hospital, cheered on by the fans. I prob was expecting too much

Jaydog57
12-16-2015, 11:10 PM
I got to watch it finally today. Great, great documentary. Jim Kelly is a hero to me, not just because of what he's been through in his personal life, but also because he's a proud Miami Hurricane. I felt so bad for Scott Norwood, you could tell that the guilt of him missing that kick had aged him beyond his years. My favorite part was when Coach Marv Levy recited his favorite piece of poetry, “Fight on, my men,” Sir Andrew Said, “A little I’m hurt but not yet slain. I’ll just lie down and bleed a while, And then I’ll rise and Fight again.” That one always gets me choked up when I hear him say it. :peace:

pmoon6
12-17-2015, 01:40 AM
Great piece. I've already watched it three times.

For me, it illustrates what sports are all about. Would I have liked to see them hoist just one Lombardi, sure. However, playing and watching sports is meant to inspire and teaches many valuable life lessons. It's also been said that you can't learn anything from winning and that only threw defeat is character built.

pmoon6
12-17-2015, 01:46 AM
I lived in Cleveland for the first 3 Superbowl losses and since my family was from here, everyone gave me crap about it thinking I must like the Bills in some manner. Honestly, I hated the Bills during the Superbowl years and the 89 Divisional Playoff game vs the Browns is probably my favorite game I attended in person, of all football games.

I got to stick it to family members that the Bills couldn't beat the Browns in the playoffs and Kelly was choke artist who threw the game away on the goal line at the end of the game. They all blamed Harmon and I laughed and said your QB still blew it the next play. Then SB XXV happened and, bam, Kelly choke artist hit again and I mocked my family members saying if your QB had less of an ego, he woulda called more running plays and you would have won the game.

By the time the 4th Superbowl happened, I had already moved back here and it just wasn't fun to watch them lose the game anymore. I actually somewhat wanted them to win but never actually said it to anyone. After you get to 4 in a row, blowing 1 of them due to playcalling and ego - I will always maintain Kelly blew SB XXV - they deserved to get at least 1 W in there at the big game.

I felt the same about Elway and Denver, and trust me everyone in Cleveland hated that combo, when he made the SB versus Green Bay in 1997...I felt he was owed a win after losing 3 out of 4 years.HaHaHa. Now we fully understand your primary motivation for your "takes" on this board.

It's not to fairly critique the team, it's to "stick it to" Bills Fans.

A clear indicator of what a small man you really are.

No fans in the league are more butthurt than Browns Fans, they not only never made it to a Super Bowl, their team made it and won after they were moved to another city.

They make ointment for that, Son. I suggest you take advantage of it instead of sullying this board with your BS.