PDA

View Full Version : 16 years of no playoffs has lead me to do this............

blackonyx89
12-14-2015, 07:08 AM
And I've felt like this for a number years. Until the Bills go on a monster roll of winning like the '85 Bears or Seattle a couple of years ago and win big and win it all and that depends on who they face in the playoffs or dare I say it, a Superbowl appearance and if they can beat the opponent, there's no sense of putting to much energy into this team. I know there are thousands of Bills fans who are optimistic and that's not a bad thing, but when it gets to the point of delusion, they're kidding themselves. Who knows when this franchise will get their act together but right now this team is going through the motions and underachieving in the worst possible way. The Pegulas need to fire some of the front office and coaches responsible for this debacle and improve this team!

If you look at the other teams around the league, there are teams that play on a much higher level than the Bills. This has been an ongoing problem with the Bills that dates back to the Super Bowl run and that was with Hall of Fame players! I know that it was a great run, but ultimately those teams were beaten by superior coaching and players. I'm to the point that the Bills must to go on a historic roll to win it all and that may or not happen in my lifetime.

sukie
12-14-2015, 07:15 AM
I, for one, have stopped watching about 5 years ago. I still watch Bills Dolphins games just because I live in South Florida. Why get all excited then bent (rinse and repeat) every offseason through December. I don't purchase jerseys... I stopped doing that after my Eric Moulds jersey when they came otu with those ugly "new" colors. So....

Why get all emotionally beat up. I chose not to. I am content at doing something else and follow scores on my ESPN app.

Less stress, lower blood pressure, more even temperament and probably a longer life. If something happens to peak my interest... I'll follow and cheer. Until then I will predict 7-9 in the same way Berman always predicted the Buffalo Bills being superbowl champs. (He doesn't still do that does he?)

blackonyx89
12-14-2015, 07:29 AM
I, for one, have stopped watching about 5 years ago. I still watch Bills Dolphins games just because I live in South Florida. Why get all excited then bent (rinse and repeat) every offseason through December. I don't purchase jerseys... I stopped doing that after my Eric Moulds jersey when they came otu with those ugly "new" colors. So....

Why get all emotionally beat up. I chose not to. I am content at doing something else and follow scores on my ESPN app.

Less stress, lower blood pressure, more even temperament and probably a longer life. If something happens to peak my interest... I'll follow and cheer. Until then I will predict 7-9 in the same way Berman always predicted the Buffalo Bills being superbowl champs. (He doesn't still do that does he?)

Berman's still a die hard Bills fan and even he knows this team ( and he would never admit it publicly) that they don't play elite level football and that goes back to the 90's Bills. The sad thing that we Bills fans always have to explain to people why this team's not good enough and that in itself is depressing to do. I'm a casual fan now and I root for them because they exist as an NFL franchise.

Bill Cody
12-14-2015, 07:39 AM
wait so we're not good?

Pinkerton Security
12-14-2015, 07:48 AM

You stopped watching the Bills games 5 years ago, yet you signed up for this message board about 4 years ago? That to me is comical - you don't care enough to watch a (losing) team on Sundays yet you'll take time to read and post on a message board?

GreedoII
12-14-2015, 07:51 AM
And I've felt like this for a number years. Until the Bills go on a monster roll of winning like the '85 Bears or Seattle a couple of years ago and win big and win it all and that depends on who they face in the playoffs or dare I say it, a Superbowl appearance and if they can beat the opponent, there's no sense of putting to much energy into this team. I know there are thousands of Bills fans who are optimistic and that's not a bad thing, but when it gets to the point of delusion, they're kidding themselves. Who knows when this franchise will get their act together but right now this team is going through the motions and underachieving in the worst possible way. The Pegulas need to fire some of the front office and coaches responsible for this debacle and improve this team!

If you look at the other teams around the league, there are teams that play on a much higher level than the Bills. This has been an ongoing problem with the Bills that dates back to the Super Bowl run and that was with Hall of Fame players! I know that it was a great run, but ultimately those teams were beaten by superior coaching and players. I'm to the point that the Bills must to go on a historic roll to win it all and that may or not happen in my lifetime.

Still some loafers around in the Front office from past regimes..cough ..cough..Russ Brandon...COUGH

sukie
12-14-2015, 07:57 AM
You stopped watching the Bills games 5 years ago, yet you signed up for this message board about 4 years ago? That to me is comical - you don't care enough to watch a (losing) team on Sundays yet you'll take time to read and post on a message board?

First off, I stopped watching unless on TV... meaning Bills Dolphins. I signed up here from "the other place". I am a grateful member of AA so going to bars to watch games by myself is creepy and no fun.
I follow the games, stats, and drives on my phone and I will NOT spend the coin again for crappy Directv. Had that for years. I do see the televised national games like this past Jets game. I saw the second half... Sorry I was at the SABRES game down here. I have spent far to much time and money on the Bills since the late 70s. 6-7 really entertaining years in there.

I don't need to get all crazy because my team lost. Pointless. I don't need to lose sleep over them... I new 7-9 was best that would happen. Life is too short.

sukie
12-14-2015, 07:58 AM
wait so we're not good?

We are very good at "meh".

Jan Reimers
12-14-2015, 11:25 AM
I thought your answer was going to be DRINK. That's how i get through every Bills' season.

blackonyx89
12-14-2015, 01:43 PM
I thought your answer was going to be DRINK. That's how i get through every Bills' season.

Fortunately I'm not a drinker, but this team could push me over the edge to do so............almost!
:roflmao:

kingJofNYC
12-14-2015, 02:31 PM
Depressing, but probably for the best.

I'm an addict, I don't know how to stop watching this **** show.

gebobs
12-14-2015, 02:33 PM

Beats raking leaves.

OpIv37
12-14-2015, 02:49 PM

We're more like battered women than addicts. Addicts make excuses for their own behavior- enablers make excuses for other people's behavior. We keep coming back saying "it'll be different this time...." and it is, for a month or two. Then it's another push down the stairs and another trip to the emergency room.

There is supposed to be almost a quid pro quo to being a sports fan. Sports are cyclical and sometimes your favorite team is good, and sometimes they're bad. The promise of wins in the future keeps fans interested in the bad times. But what happens when the good part of that cycle never comes back around? Arizona used to be one of the jokes of the league, but they were in the Super Bowl a few years back and are having a great year this year. Cleveland, Oakland, Detroit and Washington under Snyder are abject failures, but even they've managed to back-door into the playoffs a few times (and Washington could sneak in this year because their div is garbage). Jax is terrible and has a fan base so bad they had to sell off two games a season to London, but even they've made the playoffs more recently than us. We are the NFL's running joke.

Back in the 90's, I forget what the setup is but Chris Rock had a joke that ended something like "he ain't comin' back til the Bills win the Super Bowl." He can bring it back but end with "til the Bills make the playoffs."

sudzy
12-14-2015, 02:52 PM
I haven't watched a Patriots game in years. What's the sense? I know the results.

gebobs
12-14-2015, 02:56 PM
Just think, only 10 more seasons and we tie the record for longest drought!!! Cardinals had 25.

YOU GOTTA BILLIEVE!!!

It's been three decades since the NFL has seen such a long drought. New Orleans went 20 years from inception up to 1986.

WE WILL MAKE HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!

Albany,n.y.
12-14-2015, 04:58 PM
After the 2011 season I gave up my season tickets. I now go to 1 or 2 Bills games a year & watch the rest at a satellite location or at home when they're on in Albany. I once went to all the Bills home games from almost 300 miles for over 17 years (not counting pre-season-I gave those away except for 1 game), a total of 147 straight regular season & playoff games.
I'll end up going to 4 NFL games this season & only 1 will be a Bills game.
All this losing has worn me out, although I still watch them every Sunday somewhere on TV.

Mr. Pink
12-14-2015, 05:10 PM
Just think, only 10 more seasons and we tie the record for longest drought!!! Cardinals had 25.

YOU GOTTA BILLIEVE!!!

It's been three decades since the NFL has seen such a long drought. New Orleans went 20 years from inception up to 1986.

WE WILL MAKE HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!

We'll at least match New Orleans. After that it depends on who is here at that mark.

OpIv37
12-14-2015, 05:15 PM
I watch every game, every Sunday despite being out of market. I've missed at most 10 in the last 15 years, and they were all late season games that didn't matter that we lost, and I found out the score before I had a chance to watch the recording.

We were supposed to go get our tree on the Saturday before the Eagles game, but something came up and it didn't happen, so my wife wanted to go during the game. I started to object, then I remembered all the times I've passed on doing other things just to have this team disappoint me, and we went and got the tree and took care of some other things. I successfully managed to avoid hearing the score until around 6 when I had a chance to watch the game. I paused it when the Bills got the ball left to get some more food, and I told my wife "it's 23-20 and the Bills have the ball left. You know what that means, right? Interception."

Mace
12-14-2015, 05:25 PM
I like football, and love that we have a team. Following the Bills is fun. I'm emotionally invested.

Part of that fun, unfortunately, for some reason, is getting aggravated by them and talking/arguing about it with people here, or before, "there". Makes me feel better to participate in the community angst. Sometimes people come up with things I didn't consider, could be good, could be bad. Sometimes I just lip off on tangents of the moment, and people agree, or disagree, but I feel better getting it out.

But I still get a sense of shared experience. I figure no helping it. A life without acute aggravation makes you mentally flabby anyway, and you lose whatever edge you have left. Yeah, I'm aggravated by my fun, but I'm in good company among you pitiless forsaken wretches.

Mr. Cynical
12-14-2015, 10:54 PM
We're more like battered women than addicts. Addicts make excuses for their own behavior- enablers make excuses for other people's behavior. We keep coming back saying "it'll be different this time...." and it is, for a month or two. Then it's another push down the stairs and another trip to the emergency room.

Wow. This is 100% spot on. I somehow feel better though knowing my condition now.

don137
12-15-2015, 12:10 AM
I feel the talent is much better than the record. Almost numb to the fact of not making playoffs every year.

Topas
12-15-2015, 03:18 AM

When I read the title of the thread, I expected to see a Gif about a bird putting its head in the sand, or a some cartoon character jumping over a cliff ...

- - - Updated - - -

I feel the talent is much better than the record. Almost numb to the fact of not making playoffs every year.

That is called 'bad coaching'....

X-Era
12-15-2015, 04:08 AM
I watch every game, every Sunday despite being out of market. I've missed at most 10 in the last 15 years, and they were all late season games that didn't matter that we lost, and I found out the score before I had a chance to watch the recording.

We were supposed to go get our tree on the Saturday before the Eagles game, but something came up and it didn't happen, so my wife wanted to go during the game. I started to object, then I remembered all the times I've passed on doing other things just to have this team disappoint me, and we went and got the tree and took care of some other things. I successfully managed to avoid hearing the score until around 6 when I had a chance to watch the game. I paused it when the Bills got the ball left to get some more food, and I told my wife "it's 23-20 and the Bills have the ball left. You know what that means, right? Interception."
Did the 10 you didn't watch happen to be games we won?......

coastal
12-15-2015, 04:12 AM
:popcorn:

Historian
12-15-2015, 05:50 AM
I still have my seats, and probably will renew next year, although my gut tells me that a modest portion of 60K will not.

My feeling is this:

Yea, the team has sucked. Yea, most of us know why. (It's no big secret for cripes sake...it's a pretty simple game!)

But for me, It's never been about wins and losses. (Hell, anyone who ever watched them in the '70's will tell you that!)

It's about the relationships I've built over the years....the friends I've made as a direct result of the Buffalo Bills, be it tailgating, in the stands, at bars, or even online.

Some of these folks are very dear to me.

Bills fans are a fun, resilient bunch who wear their hearts on their sleeves every Sunday, whether they want to admit it or not.

Hey, most of us have our roots in the area, and for those who have moved away, a game brings a little bit of home into your living room each week.

For our family, it's a generational thing. My Dad and Grandfather took me to my first game in 1970, and I took my son to his first game in 2009. Even when my Dad and I did not see eye to eye on things,we always could talk Bills football.

We had our wedding pictures taken at the 50 yard line.

I can barely remember my wife's birthday, but I can tell you that Kelly threw for 3593 yards his first season here, without looking it up.

It's in our blood, and there is no denying it.

So you guys can vent all you want, and after this season, it's sorely needed.

But you're still here. And you still care. (Yes, even YOU Cynical!) Even if your personal involvement has scaled back a bit. (We all have real-life issues that take priority)

My advice is...relax, remember it's only entertainment, and try to think of life without the Bills.

Be a pretty boring autumn, wouldn't it?

Just my 2 cents.