• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • YardRat
    Well, lookie here...
    • Dec 2004

The Quick Fix

By now it's obvious to everyone what the major problem is with the Buffalo Bills, and we have to face the fact that without any major changes the team is probably going to undergo some drastic roster shuffling this off season as Rex builds 'his' team. We also all know that means 'rebuild', with the playoffs at least two or three seasons down the road still...if at all, considering his history. When Ryan was hired, he was gifted a dominant defense, solid special teams, and a broken offense that needed to be fixed. The window for success is short (the defense isn't going to remain intact for long) and Rex basically closed it with his 'my way' approach...but that isn't necessarily the case. One short year into Ryan's reign, the players are still here, and the window of opportunity really is still open, if only a crack. If the Pegula's sincerely want to get the team back in to the playoffs (next season?) they still might be able to achieve that, but some drastic and costly changes will have to be made...

Dump Ryan and the clown car cadre he brought with him from New Jersey right now. Eat the Jet money.
    Retain the coaches that were here last season (Henderson, Crossman, etc).
    Give free reign to Roman as OC to fill out his position coaches with his guys, release him from the burden of working with Ryan's cronies. If Roman wants to keep Kromer, more power to him.
    Suck it up, dial the phone, and make Jim Schwartz a wealthy DC or HC...grovel if you have to. Let him fill out the rest of the defensive staff. If Schwartz doesn't want the HC, make him the highest paid DC in the league and bring in a HC that wants to be a head coach and work with those already in place, not a glorified coordinator.

That's the staff, as far as players...

Oline, oline, oline. Let's focus, people.
    QB--bring in an NFL vet, a draft choice...hell, even mine the CFL...three guys, at least, to compete with Tyrod for roster spots and depth chart positions.
    Fill in a couple of holes (MLB, blocking TE, safety, CB, dline) with a couple of free agents, the draft and UDFA's.

It really can be that easy-peasy...if you've got the balls to make the moves that are necessary, and a sincere will to win sooner rather than later. If they don't, then the window will be closed completely before the '16 season kicks off, we'll all have to suffer probably two more years of Ryan's failures and facing a full rebuild again.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS
  • trapezeus
    Legendary Zoner
    • Oct 2004

Re: The Quick Fix

I agree with the sentiment that you have to start over. but Schwarz isn't the right call. he is a DC through and through and if he comes back as one, he'll get older players. My worry is that his time came and went. he'll be chasing a dragon with the same heightened expectations.

I would prefer a college coach who runs a pro style offense in one of the schools that get routinely beaten up on. His record might not be good but he gets less talented kids to play up. and if given a shot with real talent would run a team that could compete.

I think whaley should stay. but i'll tell you this, if the next coach is standing next to russ Brandon, you know the bills will have continued tofocus on marketing over substance.

Comment

• justasportsfan
      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
      Dump Ryan and the clown car cadre he brought with him from New Jersey right now. Eat the Jet money.
      Retain the coaches that were here last season (Henderson, Crossman, etc).
      Give free reign to Roman as OC to fill out his position coaches with his guys, release him from the burden of working with Ryan's cronies. If Roman wants to keep Kromer, more power to him.
      Suck it up, dial the phone, and make Jim Schwartz a wealthy DC or HC...grovel if you have to. Let him fill out the rest of the defensive staff. If Schwartz doesn't want the HC, make him the highest paid DC in the league and bring in a HC that wants to be a head coach and work with those already in place, not a glorified coordinator.

I'm all in . Make sure we keep Henderson no matter what. While Schwartz made Marrone look good, Henderson made Schwartz look good as well.
      sacrifice1
      https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• Buffalogic
        Rumblin' Stumblin' Bumblin'
        • Feb 2006

The only quick fix is to win out and have pit and nyj lose 2 games.

Comment

• justasportsfan
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by trapezeus View Post

I would prefer a college coach who runs a pro style offense in one of the schools that get routinely beaten up on. His record might not be good but he gets less talented kids to play up. and if given a shot with real talent would run a team that could compete.
          You want Doug Marrone back?
          sacrifice1
          https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• Victor7
            • Jul 2013

Stopped reading at retain Danny Crossman

How on earth would anybody want that guy back?

Our ST are a disaster.

Comment

• YardRat
              Well, lookie here...
              • Dec 2004

Originally posted by Victor7 View Post
              Stopped reading at retain Danny Crossman

How on earth would anybody want that guy back?

Our ST are a disaster.
              I was iffy on that myself...Crossman has been up and down...ST's in 2013 were terrible, really decent in 2014, terrible again under Rex. I only included him because I think he should get one more season to show who he really is. Wouldn't break my heart one bit if he was 'jet'tisoned with the NY losers though.
              YardRat Wall of Fame
              #56 DARRYL TALLEY
              #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• kingJofNYC
                • Sep 2009

We've been quick fixing every 2-3 years.

Pegula isn't giving Rex $16 million to be an ESPN loud mouth next season. Just the reality of it, get used it. The money is a sunk cost, no matter what he's paying Ryan that money, so yeah, if he's not the one no point in waiting. Hard for people in sports to understand that. It's why use see first round busts like EJ stay on an NFL roster even though they have no business being on one.
                Last edited by kingJofNYC; 12-14-2015, 09:31 PM.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                  Administrator
                  • Jul 2002

Here is my issues with your scenario, there isn't a legitimate Head Coaching candidate that will want to come into that situation. You've given all the power to the OC and DC to fill out their own staffs and are asking a HC to just come in and do what exactly? It's a figure head position with at least two, if not all three, units operating in complete independence of the other. I don't think that's a recipe for success, and I think that's what you basically have now.
                  COMING SOON...
                  Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                  We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• X-Era
                    What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
                    • Feb 2005

I'd give Rex an ultimatum:

Fire Thurman and bring in a disciplinarian who will run a non-Rex defense or you're fired.

Ideally we'd get Pettine back. Roman misuses our offensive talent as well but he has coached us to score a lot of points. He can stay for now. Besides, he appears to actually be using Sammy as of late... unfortunately it's only for the first half.

If Rex won't can Thurman and change the defense back fire him. Then it's a coaching staff rebuild. I'd still bring back Pettine as HC even.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                      Administrator
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by X-Era View Post

Fire Thurman and bring in a disciplinarian who will run a non-Rex defense or you're fired.

Ideally we'd get Pettine back. Roman misuses our offensive talent as well but he has coached us to score a lot of points. He can stay for now. Besides, he appears to actually be using Sammy as of late... unfortunately it's only for the first half.

If Rex won't can Thurman and change the defense back fire him. Then it's a coaching staff rebuild. I'd still bring back Pettine as HC even.
                      Why would any HC accept an ultimatum that he can't run his own defense?

Also Pettine is a former Rex Ryan pupil, he runs a similar style of defense based off an almost identical philosophy. I don't think bringing Pettine in gets you into a non-Ryan defense.
                      COMING SOON...
                      Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                      We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• BuffaloRedleg
                        • Aug 2013

Teams that fire coaches every 1-2 years shouldn't complain that it is hard to bring in talented coaches.

Comment

• jamze132
                          • Jun 2003

Originally posted by X-Era View Post

I'm not sure Thurman is the problem here. He may or may not agree with 4-3 style DEs and DTs dropping into coverage.

The bottom line, Rex and his "smarter than the rest" philosophy is the #1 problem and we won't win 10 games while he's in charge.

Comment

• Victor7
                            • Jul 2013

Don't know about the firing Thurman part. How much does he really do ?? I doubt much. Its Rex's baby. Sort of like Curtis Modkins when Gailey was coach. Everyone knew it was just a name and the real OC was Chan.

Comment

• MillsapsBillsFan
                              • Mar 2015

Originally posted by DraftBoy View Post
                              Here is my issues with your scenario, there isn't a legitimate Head Coaching candidate that will want to come into that situation. You've given all the power to the OC and DC to fill out their own staffs and are asking a HC to just come in and do what exactly? It's a figure head position with at least two, if not all three, units operating in complete independence of the other. I don't think that's a recipe for success, and I think that's what you basically have now.
                              I want my Head coach to be a CEO and know about special teams. The O and D coordinators should be able to run their units with minimal interference from the HC. I hate this idea that a HC has to be a offensive or defensive genius, that's what the coordinators are there for. The HC in my opinion needs to keep the team disciplined, manage the clock, keep the team motivated keep everyone on the right track, Like a well rounded boss not a boss whos really good on one side but a complete idiot on the other (though Rex isn't that good at either side).

Comment

Working...
                              X