PDA

View Full Version : Talley on where the team is failing

X-Era
12-15-2015, 04:47 AM
http://bills.buffalonews.com/2015/12/14/analysis-lack-of-discipline-lack-of-togetherness-feed-flag-filled-season/

To me this again falls on Rex and coaching.

------------

“Everybody’s doing their own thing,” Talley said. “They’re supposed to be working together like five fingers on a glove. All of them. That’s what made us different because we could beat you on offense, we could beat you on defense, we could beat you with special teams. Right now, they aren’t really beating you any kind of way.
“There’s no pattern, no come-from-behind, there’s no... nothing.”

------------
“They play with an edge,” he said. “But they don’t know how to take care of each other’s back. From what I see, this group of guys, they go out as individuals.
“That lends to a great, great deal of harmony with a group of guys, if they know you’re willing to go fight for them. I don’t know if anybody’s ever sat down and told them that. I don’t think they even play in that manner. Everybody seems to be their own CEO of their own little company. We were CEO’s of our own company but we had one bigger company and that was the Buffalo Bills — and that was the company we looked out for. I don’t think that’s being done.
“That’s the only thing I see that they don’t have. Point blank, they don’t have a togetherness.”

----------------
No, it wasn’t the ghastly 27-3 deficit Buffalo fell into. It was his flight back to the states. There were two players on his commercial flight and the two players, Talley said, didn’t acknowledge each other the entire time. Not a word. One sat in first class, one sat in coach.
To Talley, this trip signified a deeper problem.
“I was like, ‘Hmm. They don’t talk to each other, huh? OK,’” Talley said. “We didn’t give a care who it was. If two of us got on the plane — if it was me and Adam Lingner — we’re going to sit down and talk. We’ll say, ‘Hey, what did you think about the game?’ We’ll talk about what in the hell we have to do when we get back. Something. There’s no way in hell we’re going to be up in the air for nine hours on a damn plane reading a book. Nah.
“I have one of the buddies that I played with on the plane with me? Wow. I found that very, very strange.”

YardRat
12-15-2015, 04:59 AM
Some locker room leadership would help that a lot. (*cough*FJax*cough*).

X-Era
12-15-2015, 05:02 AM
A very good point. I think Tyrod has tried to step up. Mario doesn't seem like the type.

We need a locker room leader for sure.

DraftBoy
12-15-2015, 05:23 AM
A very good point. I think Tyrod has tried to step up. Mario doesn't seem like the type.

We need a locker room leader for sure.

Mario is not the type, he's a lead by example kind of a guy. What I mean by that is that he comes in every day and does his job and then goes home. He doesn't traditionally complain, he doesn't get into trouble off the field but he's also not going to be the guy who calls a team meeting and lays into the LB corp for being among the worst group of players in the NFL.

I should also add that his effort in a number of games at times has not been the kind of example that needs to be set.

X-Era
12-15-2015, 05:29 AM
Mario is not the type, he's a lead by example kind of a guy. What I mean by that is that he comes in every day and does his job and then goes home. He doesn't traditionally complain, he doesn't get into trouble off the field but he's also not going to be the guy who calls a team meeting and lays into the LB corp for being among the worst group of players in the NFL.

I should also add that his effort in a number of games at times has not been the kind of example that needs to be set.Agreed on his effort at times this year. If Rex stays and forces his defense on the team where Mario isn't fully utilized why not just cut him and re-coup the 12.9 mill in cap? (19.9 in cap hit - 7 mill in dead money if cut).

coastal
12-15-2015, 05:32 AM
Fools gold paying dividends

DraftBoy
12-15-2015, 05:32 AM
Agreed on his effort at times this year. If Rex stays and forces his defense on the team where Mario isn't fully utilized why not just cut him and re-coup the 12.9 mill in cap? (19.9 in cap hit - 7 mill in dead money if cut).

I see that being a legitimate option unless Mario signals that he's willing to renegotiate his deal and we can move him to a 43 team that needs pass rush (hello Atlanta).

Buffalogic
12-15-2015, 06:26 AM
Isn't that what Kyle Williams is for?

Topas
12-15-2015, 07:34 AM
Yeah, but maybe having more than one experienced leader in the locker room would help. Especially if this guy is on IR.

- - - Updated - - -

Fools gold paying dividends

One of the more boring agendas on this board ...

jamze132
12-15-2015, 09:33 AM
Mario will not be a Bill next season. I'd love to trade him so we don't have any dead cap relating to him.

Victor7
12-15-2015, 09:36 AM
Very wise words from Talley.

They do seem to be out to get their own.

Rex should ask him to come to practice and kick the collective asses of all the pussies on the team.

Victor7
12-15-2015, 09:37 AM
Mario will not be a Bill next season. I'd love to trade him so we don't have any dead cap relating to him.

Not gonna happen. Nobody will want to take his cap. Even less when they know that we'll probably cut him since he's not a fit for Rex's stupid schemes.

trapezeus
12-15-2015, 11:15 AM
a man who had a huge piece on how he's experiencing brain trauma issues can clearly see some of the issues plaguing this team, but the rest of the FO can't. Awesome.

"we need more continuity"
- Russ Brandon, all the time

Ingtar33
12-15-2015, 02:06 PM
a man who had a huge piece on how he's experiencing brain trauma issues can clearly see some of the issues plaguing this team, but the rest of the FO can't. Awesome.

"we need more continuity"
- Russ Brandon, all the time

depression and post concussion syndrome aren't the same thing as ******ation. Don't insult Darryl, the bills front office has proven their mental shortcomings time and time again.

BTW: as a huge fan of him when he was playing, Darryl has more leadership in his little finger then this whole bills locker room currently does combined apparently.

YardRat
12-15-2015, 03:38 PM
Isn't that what Kyle Williams is for?

IMO Kyle isn't anywhere near the leader FJax is, and IIRC KW can't be around regular activities if he's IR'd.

X-Era
12-15-2015, 03:43 PM
IMO Kyle isn't anywhere near the leader FJax is, and IIRC KW can't be around regular activities if he's IR'd.
If Kyle retires and Mario is cut or traded we would have about 20 mill in cap room to go get a young stud leader on defense.

I like both. But, Rex doesn't want to use Mario and Kyle is long in the tooth.

YardRat
12-15-2015, 03:45 PM
If Kyle retires and Mario is cut or traded we would have about 20 mill in cap room to go get a young stud leader on defense.

I like both. But, Rex doesn't want to use Mario and Kyle is long in the tooth.

If Rex stays, they might as well go full-blown rebuild and try and dump Hughes off on somebody too. He doesn't fit this defense either.

X-Era
12-15-2015, 03:49 PM
If Rex stays, they might as well go full-blown rebuild and try and dump Hughes off on somebody too. He doesn't fit this defense either.I hope to hell Pegula forces Rex to adapt to the talent he has. I like the players. I like what we have on defense. I want a young stud OLB and another young CB and DL but I like what I think we can be.

My doomsday scenario is Rex and Thurman staying, gutting the players we acquired on defense to adapt to his bull**** scheme and then Rex is canned after next year... Would be such a huge waste of a potentially great roster.

swiper
12-15-2015, 04:50 PM
A fat slob in charge of a bunch of prima donnas - your 2015 Buffalo Bills

The Jokeman
12-15-2015, 05:20 PM

In all the years we had Fred Jackson why did we fail to make the playoffs if he's such a great leader?

Mace
12-15-2015, 05:27 PM
A fat slob in charge of a bunch of prima donnas - your 2015 Buffalo Bills

And someone "cough*Whaley*cough* collected them. But I'm sure the collector will collect better next year instead of like how he did previous couple years with the extensive scouting background he's applied in his time with the organization.

Oh. We need LEADERS too ! Ok, I'm on it, next draft. Quibblequibble grousegrouse.

X-Era
12-16-2015, 05:36 AM
In all the years we had Fred Jackson why did we fail to make the playoffs if he's such a great leader?In all the years we had Fred Jackson did they ever look as undisciplined and sloppy?

Joe Fo Sho
12-16-2015, 07:23 AM
In all the years we had Fred Jackson did they ever look as undisciplined and sloppy?

We had the 2nd most penalties in the NFL last year with Freddie. That seems to be the metric for measuring lack of discipline. The penalty issue is in part a carryover from the roster we had last year, and is compounded by Rex's philosophy of letting the players be players and not holding them accountable for their actions. Sometimes that philosophy works, with this roster is does not.