PDA

View Full Version : Misuse of the offensive weapons

X-Era
12-15-2015, 03:38 PM
I'm making the argument that Greg Roman is misusing his talent on offense.

Since Odell Beckham Jr. is often brought up relative to Sammy Watkins I thought I'd do some comparisons with the Bills and Giants and those players.

Some stats:

NY Giants
10th in the league for pass attempts (500)
6th with 272 pass yards per game
22nd in the league for rush attempts (321)
29th at 88.4 rush yards per game
30th at 3.6 rush yards per attempt

Odell Beckham Jr.
6th in the league for targets (142)
8th in the league for receptions (85)
Catches the ball 59.8% of the time
12 TD's in 13 games
3rd in the league for yards per game at 101.5
16th in the league in average yards per catch at 15.53

Buffalo
30th in the league for pass attempts (392)
28th in the league for pass yards per game (214)
3rd in the league for rush attempts (395)
Tied for 4th in the league for rush attempts (4.7)
3rd for yards per game (141.8)

Sammy Watkins
50+th in the league for targets at 65
50+th in the league for receptions at 39
Catches the ball 60% of the time
50+th in the league for yards per game
4th in the league at yards per catch at 18.36
7 TD's in 10 games

On the surface:

The Giants are a passing team and OBJ benefits from that, so what?
The Bills are a running team and get the yards they go after, so what?

A bit deeper:

So you have a guy that catches the ball just as often as OBJ and you hardly use him? You have a top young WR talent in the league and decided as a coaching staff to be run heavy and not use him? Sammy's yards per catch, catch %, and TD's show if you get him the ball he is a dangerous and reliable weapon. Yet we want to ignore that for the run?

Tyrod Taylor:
5th rated passer in the league (100.9), Eli Manning is 11th at 96.0
16th in the league at completion % with 63.5, Eli Manning is 14th at 63.8
5th in the league at yards per attempt with 7.9, Eli Manning is 14th with 7.3
5th in the league at INT% with 1.6, Eli Manning is 14th with 2.0

And, you have a decently accurate passer, who doesn't throw picks, and can throw the ball downfield with accuracy and you run a run heavy offense and don't use him?

The Bills have a talented QB who is performing well at passing. They have one of the best young WR's in the league. But they are ignoring the pass too much in favor of the run. This team badly needs to balance it's offense and utilize all their talent better. Greg Roman knows these stats but is ignoring them for some reason. He has recently begun to incorporate Watkins more and the team is benefiting from it. But, he then often abandons Watkins in the 2nd half's even though he often beats double coverage.

I like Roman but he is misusing some of the talent on offense.

Night Train
12-15-2015, 03:54 PM
I didn't expect too much from the O and they can get better. They suffered too many injuries to skill players, IMO. Harvin gone, Taylor, Watkins, both RB's missing games. Now Clay. Still better than previous years. Roman does call some questionable 3rd and short plays.

The D has regressed in pass rush, tackling and timely stops... and that's probably cost us 2-3 games.

IlluminatusUIUC
12-15-2015, 03:58 PM
I wouldn't call a run-heavy offense "misusing" our talent, with Felton, Williams, and McCoy in the backfield it makes a great deal of sense to emphasize the ground game. If Roman was taking the ball away from Watkins to feed carries to Dixon or something I'd agree, but McCoy is the best talent on our offense.

X-Era
12-15-2015, 03:58 PM
I didn't expect too much from the O and they can get better. They suffered too many injuries to skill players, IMO. Harvin gone, Taylor, Watkins, both RB's missing games. Now Clay. Still better than previous years. Roman does call some questionable 3rd and short plays.

The D has regressed in pass rush, tackling and timely stops... and that's probably cost us 2-3 games.Roman, Thurman, and moreover Rex are not using the talent they have properly. I've never seen it this bad before as a Bills fan. We always had poor coaching and not enough talent or good coaching and not enough talent. This is an all new reason to lose IMO.

My sincere hope is that changes are made to the coaching staff to use what we have on the roster and to get the team to play sound, disciplined football.

Typ0
12-15-2015, 04:00 PM
You must not have watched the games Shady is a beast.

I'm making the argument that Greg Roman is misusing his talent on offense.

Since Odell Beckham Jr. is often brought up relative to Sammy Watkins I thought I'd do some comparisons with the Bills and Giants and those players.

Some stats:

NY Giants
10th in the league for pass attempts (500)
6th with 272 pass yards per game
22nd in the league for rush attempts (321)
29th at 88.4 rush yards per game
30th at 3.6 rush yards per attempt

Odell Beckham Jr.
6th in the league for targets (142)
8th in the league for receptions (85)
Catches the ball 59.8% of the time
12 TD's in 13 games
3rd in the league for yards per game at 101.5
16th in the league in average yards per catch at 15.53

Buffalo
30th in the league for pass attempts (392)
28th in the league for pass yards per game (214)
3rd in the league for rush attempts (395)
Tied for 4th in the league for rush attempts (4.7)
3rd for yards per game (141.8)

Sammy Watkins
50+th in the league for targets at 65
50+th in the league for receptions at 39
Catches the ball 60% of the time
50+th in the league for yards per game
4th in the league at yards per catch at 18.36
7 TD's in 10 games

On the surface:

The Giants are a passing team and OBJ benefits from that, so what?
The Bills are a running team and get the yards they go after, so what?

A bit deeper:

So you have a guy that catches the ball just as often as OBJ and you hardly use him? You have a top young WR talent in the league and decided as a coaching staff to be run heavy and not use him? Sammy's yards per catch, catch %, and TD's show if you get him the ball he is a dangerous and reliable weapon. Yet we want to ignore that for the run?

Tyrod Taylor:
5th rated passer in the league (100.9), Eli Manning is 11th at 96.0
16th in the league at completion % with 63.5, Eli Manning is 14th at 63.8
5th in the league at yards per attempt with 7.9, Eli Manning is 14th with 7.3
5th in the league at INT% with 1.6, Eli Manning is 14th with 2.0

And, you have a decently accurate passer, who doesn't throw picks, and can throw the ball downfield with accuracy and you run a run heavy offense and don't use him?

The Bills have a talented QB who is performing well at passing. They have one of the best young WR's in the league. But they are ignoring the pass too much in favor of the run. This team badly needs to balance it's offense and utilize all their talent better. Greg Roman knows these stats but is ignoring them for some reason. He has recently begun to incorporate Watkins more and the team is benefiting from it. But, he then often abandons Watkins in the 2nd half's even though he often beats double coverage.

I like Roman but he is misusing some of the talent on offense.

X-Era
12-15-2015, 04:09 PM
You must not have watched the games Shady is a beast. Shady is a beast. I agree. But we can use him a bit less, bring in the other playmakers, play a much more balanced attack, and be a stronger team by doing it.

Mr. Pink
12-15-2015, 04:28 PM
The best offensive weapon is LeSean McCoy.

You have a QB who only looks at one read and doesn't throw it if the receiver isn't open - yes Tyrod has gotten better in throwing to guys who aren't wide open lately, ie Watkins deep.

So you play the offense to its strength, running McCoy, and hide the weakness, the QB, as much as you can.

justasportsfan
12-15-2015, 04:39 PM
When looking at qbs it becomes apples and oranges.

You can throw all day with Eli while TT for now is a game manager.

If there is a player that is misused , IMO that would be Clay.

Mr. Pink
12-15-2015, 04:45 PM

When your QB is afraid of the middle of the field, you cannot misuse your tight end. Since the middle of the field is where the tight end does most of his damage.

TacklingDummy
12-15-2015, 05:07 PM
The problems the QB, same problem the past 15 years.

Mace
12-15-2015, 05:46 PM
Oh come on. Roman is a run game guy. Whaley got him Felton, Williams and McCoy ! Lee and Lal have a hand in the passing offense, where we have a limited QB.

But Whaley got them Harvin and Clay for this year.

Whaley also got them Henderson, Richardson, Kouandjio and Miller to pass block and they don't do it well.

Whaley's QB strategy was his man Manuel, Rex's guy Tyrod (both mobile), and um, a statue in Cassel who someone wanted, didn't want, wanted and didn't want again like a statue would fit well in this offense.

So you have a QB who has issues with reads (you have to see how long it takes him to get a play off, and the open receivers he doesn't see), in a rushing offense behind a line that can't pass block, only Watkins left healthy with Harvin and Clay down, and Roman is misusing this awesome talent Whaley collected.

Roman was hired for running game expertise, and his part of the equation is working pretty good, Hard to blame him for any of the rest, imho.

The Jokeman
12-15-2015, 05:57 PM

When he's healthy Clay is a serious weapon but we saw on Sunday once he left our offense struggled. It wouldn't shock me to see us if we took a TE in the early part of the draft to further help the offense even more. As two guys that could be familiar with the Roman type offense that could be there in Round 2 or 3 that could cause matchup problems for D could include Jake Butt from Michigan or Austin Hooper from Stanford. To me the biggest problem on offense has been Tyrod. As he struggles with inaccuracy from time to time and agree that he isn't at his best making reads so we might need to bring in more talent to help him out.

yordad
12-15-2015, 06:08 PM
This is simple. Our pass blocking sucks, our run blocking isn't too bad.

yordad
12-15-2015, 06:10 PM
There are going front 7 and oline. Over and over.

X-Era
12-16-2015, 05:26 AM
The numbers show Tyrod is pretty good at throwing, Watkins is pretty good at catching, yet we want to be run heavy and sometimes one dimensional.

McCoy never had a FB before us and racked up all those yards. Is there a reason a more spread attack where we re-balance the pass to run ratio won't allow us to be very successful running the ball?

In 2013, McCoy led the league in yards without a FB and the Eagles had the #2 offense. They were 9th in passing yards per game and 1st in rushing yards per game. They had 508 pass attempts and 500 rush attempts...

Shady led the league that year in rushing yards in a balanced offense.

Use the talent you have. All of it. Be multiple and effective against all types of defenses.

Dozerdog
12-16-2015, 07:12 AM
I've been BEGGING the Bills to run it for 10 years. With all the RB talent this team has had over the past 10 years, the Bills should be a grind it out offense. The best way to keep Tom Brady under 30 points is to eat clock and move the ball

Now that our D isn't top 10 w should be running it more.

Dozerdog
12-16-2015, 07:15 AM
The numbers show Tyrod is pretty good at throwing, Watkins is pretty good at catching, yet we want to be run heavy and sometimes one dimensional.

The Bill's passing attack is one of the most "One dimensional" attacks out there. Sammy has big first halves and disappears once the opposition figures it out.

Injuries play a big part- and when everyone was healthy - Sammy had a hissy fit that no one gave him the ball enough