PDA

View Full Version : Culture vs Strategy: AKA Why The Bills Always Fail

BuffaloRedleg
12-16-2015, 12:37 PM
Darryl Talley was spot on in his criticism of the team. They have one of the most talented rosters in the league, and their struggling to finish .500. Why is that?

What Talley is saying is this:

"Culture eats strategy for lunch."

Look at the Patriots. Yes, they cheat, and yes they have the best QB and coach ever quite possibly. But their culture is impeccable. Their brand makes players achieve more. They are great at X's and O's, no doubt, but their culture is the real force on that team. They are nowhere near as talented as the Bills, but they dominate us.

Organizational culture is the real competitive advantage in Football, and the Bills culture is a mess.

Look at Levy. Would you say he was a great Xs and Os guy? Of course not. But he managed to take a team of beasts and steer them in a way that maximized their effectiveness towards a common goal. It wasn't, as Talley put it, a bunch of guys running in their own direction. It really only seemed to fall apart in the Superbowl where all the spotlight and partying and individualism caught up with them.

Whaley and Rex are responsible for this. Since they aren't going anywhere, they are responsible for fixing this. Whaley is all about talent. He wants all aces and gamebreakers and all these fancy things, but he has really done nothing to improve the actual culture of the organization. Great, you went out and got Watkins. That shows you want to win and looks like swagger on paper. But that is all showmanship. Building a culture of winning is not about going out and getting good players, I think Bills fans can attest to that more than any team in the NFL.

Rex thought he was going to come in here and unleash all of these fancy tools on the NFL, but he neglected to acknowledge that these beasts need to be tamed and focused rather than unleashed. Hence you have undisciplined and unfocused football. Hence you have an Eagles game that was all about one player and if I remember correctly the only team captain. He encourages this behavior and it is counter to the most prominent theories on organizational behavior. Make no mistake, yes this is sports, but this is an organization and the same principles that allow General Electric to succeed as a corporation apply to NFL teams.

Do the Patriots "unleash the beast" against teams? Did Herb Brooks "unleash the beast" against the Soviets in the Miracle on Ice? Does a team of firefighters "unleash the beast" when they are fighting a fire?

Disciplined and focused organizations and teams always beat a team of more talented individuals thrown together. People arguing about Xs and Os and challenges and the like are missing the point. This team has not made the playoffs for 16 goddamn years, and that's more relevant than any single on-field metric you can come up with. Winning begets winning, and helps build a strong organizational culture like the Pats. No doubt about it. But that's why Whaley and Rex get paid the big bucks. They need to learn some more and do some actual research on these ideas. This bullheaded commitment to talent and faux-macho bravado is bull**** and not how champions are made. Champions act and behave like champions, it's not just talent and x's and o's. How do you build a winner out of an organization that doesn't even know what winning looks like? Rex thought he could maybe mold this team off the Seahawks, but he neglected to look at anything more than surface level of why that team was great. The Seahawks may have looked like a wild bunch of oorah beasts going wacky and making plays all over the field, but in fact they played very disciplined football in terms of strategy. Yes they had a lot of wild personalities, but in terms of the product on the field they all bought in and they all were motivated towards a common goal. That is real success.

I'm not like some of you guys who think everyone should be fired. I think people can grow, and they can learn, and mistakes can be made. I think that Rex and Whaley need to have a sit-down and learn something from Pegula, who has made a lot of money running successful organizations. Pegula needs to involve himself more in this team. Sure, he doesn't know diddly about football. But, Rex and Whaley do and where has that gotten us? What he does know about is winning and positive organizational climates. Players like Mario need to be gone. Any player like him who loafs because they don't like things should be let go.

The science is out there and there are plenty of resources to learn. Spend 30 bucks on a damn Harvard Business Review subscription and read from prominent practitioners about this. Get with the modern times, this "we're gonna punch'em in the mouth" bull**** goes nowhere and is embarrassing.

Culture eats strategy for lunch, and unless Whaley and Rex learn that we are in for a long season next year as well.

IlluminatusUIUC
12-16-2015, 01:09 PM
I don't know that you can disassociate the strategy and culture of teams like the Patriots and Seahawks. Players buy in because the coaches know how best to utilize them and put them in a position to succeed, and that comes down to strategy. It's IMO why Belichick assistants usually fail when they leave his warm embrace. They bring his same attitude and mentality to their new teams, but without the skill to back it up.

Those coaches/GMs see players who have clear talent for one thing, but who otherwise don't fit the mold that the rest of the league embraces and finds a role for them. Guys like Edelman, Sherman, Blount, etc. We pay top dollar for guys and then find a way to play them out of position and marginalize them, like our entire defensive line.

The other half of the Patriot Way "Do Your Job" culture is a coach who gives the players jobs they can actually do.

Night Train
12-16-2015, 01:20 PM
I think it comes down to the " square peg in round hole " theory.

Not playing to the rosters strengths and shoving a scheme down their throats.

Buffalogic
12-16-2015, 01:24 PM
A good plan is wasted if it can't be executed. I always think simplicity is the best approach when it comes to schemes. Take the options and overthinking out of it and just let the players play. It's better to do a couple things the best then try to do a bunch of crazy stuff poorly.

BuffaloRedleg
12-16-2015, 02:03 PM
I'm not talking about 1 year guys. I'm talking about 16.

Rex and Whaley are there because we need to go forward with what we got because they arent going anywhere.

This is why we've failed, they completely overlooked culture.

DynaPaul
12-16-2015, 04:00 PM
The Smoking Man from the X-Files said Buffalo would never win a championship. He wasn't wrong.

BuffaloRedleg
12-16-2015, 04:39 PM
The Smoking Man from the X-Files said Buffalo would never win a championship. He wasn't wrong.

Maybe in the reboot he will free us of this burden he placed upon us?

SpikedLemonade
12-16-2015, 05:57 PM
You would think that a change of ownership would lead to a change in culture.

Pegula needs to hire an experienced President like Wolf to make changes.

If that does not change the culture, consider relocation.

YardRat
12-16-2015, 06:04 PM
They started to change the culture last season, and then ****ed it up by hiring Ryan and pulling off a bunch of stupid-ass roster moves.

BuffaloRedleg
12-16-2015, 07:03 PM

I think they tried to put a suit on a pig and call it a professional.

You are absolutely right about a President.

Whaley is good with talent, Rex puts butts in seats. They need someone steering the ship that understands organizational behavior and management. Someone who doesn't give a **** about made up concepts like swagger. Someone who cares about analytics and can look at things by taking a step back and seeing the big picture. Also, someone who doesn't need to worry about losing their job every year.

Turf
12-16-2015, 08:52 PM
Its not about culture anymore. Talley doesn't understand todays generation that has no social skills but stare at their cell phones all day instead of interacting with other people.
The problem is we hire stupid flawed coaches that don't pay attention to detail, have poor game management skills and don't prepare the players. That's why we lose.

trapezeus
12-17-2015, 10:14 AM

always hoping for the team to move, eh, spike?

SpikedLemonade
12-17-2015, 10:58 AM
always hoping for the team to move, eh, spike?

At this point, if it means I see a SB win in my lifetime, I will consider anything.

I will still root for them no matter what.

Perhaps a relocation to downtown Buffalo is enough.

sukie
12-17-2015, 12:12 PM
I'm not talking about 1 year guys. I'm talking about 16.

Rex and Whaley are there because we need to go forward with what we got because they arent going anywhere.

This is why we've failed, they completely overlooked culture.

I thought culture was created then carried on as players come into the culture? The culture of "me first" look at me pay me release me IS the culture. Waley and REX need to smash that culture.

chris66
12-18-2015, 05:27 AM
Bills do a great job of collecting talent. Not so good at building a team. Thats why they hover around .500

DraftBoy
12-18-2015, 05:34 AM
I don't know that you can disassociate the strategy and culture of teams like the Patriots and Seahawks. Players buy in because the coaches know how best to utilize them and put them in a position to succeed, and that comes down to strategy. It's IMO why Belichick assistants usually fail when they leave his warm embrace. They bring his same attitude and mentality to their new teams, but without the skill to back it up.

Those coaches/GMs see players who have clear talent for one thing, but who otherwise don't fit the mold that the rest of the league embraces and finds a role for them. Guys like Edelman, Sherman, Blount, etc. We pay top dollar for guys and then find a way to play them out of position and marginalize them, like our entire defensive line.

The other half of the Patriot Way "Do Your Job" culture is a coach who gives the players jobs they can actually do.

Bingo. Well said.

swiper
12-19-2015, 07:38 AM
I thought culture was created then carried on as players come into the culture? The culture of "me first" look at me pay me release me IS the culture. Waley and REX need to smash that culture.

Well said.

TacklingDummy
12-19-2015, 09:08 AM
Until you have the Quaterback nothing will change.

See before and after Jim Kelly.

WagonCircler
12-19-2015, 11:26 AM
Whaley and Rex aren't fixing ****. That's like asking squirrels to fix themselves into lions.

Since firing Rex after signing him for 5 years is obviously not happening, if this team keeps Whaley it is a clear signal that the culture of this team is just fine with Pegula. He will have become what so many accused Ralph of being--a guy who's just fine with mediocrity.

I totally agree with the essence of Talley's rant. But I would disagree on the "most talented rosters in the league" part.

Most physically gifted? Maybe.

But talent is more than just 40 times and vertical leaps. It's brains and mental toughness. It's the ability to read and react and make good decisions in tenths of a second. It's the ability to be self-disciplined.

Marv had his downside, but one area he TOTALLY nailed was the "character matters" aspect of the game.

This team is currently a collection of idiot man-children. And Doug Whaley is responsible for that.

BillsImpossible
12-19-2015, 04:21 PM
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/nOUuKQlGdEs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

coastal
12-20-2015, 08:33 AM
Who is responsible for the culture of this organization over the past decade +?

Russ Brandon.

end of story.

sahlensguy
12-20-2015, 08:34 AM
Rope-a-dope was the strategy that beat the Bills "culture' in Super Bowl XXV. Just sayin.

coastal
12-20-2015, 08:45 AM
Rope-a-dope was the strategy that beat the Bills "culture' in Super Bowl XXV. Just sayin.
The talent was at a ridiculous level on that team.

the culture was drink and fugh it all first... football consequences be damned.

sahlensguy
12-20-2015, 08:50 AM
The talent was at a ridiculous level on that team.

the culture was drink and fugh it all first... football consequences be damned.

Absolutely.

The OP is s fail.

Look at Levy. Would you say he was a great Xs and Os guy? Of course not. But he managed to take a team of beasts and steer them in a way that maximized their effectiveness towards a common goal. It wasn't, as Talley put it, a bunch of guys running in their own direction. It really only seemed to fall apart in the Superbowl where all the spotlight and partying and individualism caught up with them.

Was it culture that got them that far, or the talent?

kscdogbillsfan1221
12-20-2015, 10:39 AM
Who is responsible for the culture of this organization over the past decade +?

Russ Brandon.

end of story.

exactly. you couldn't be more correct. don't know why most people don't see this our way on this situation.

BuffaloRedleg
12-20-2015, 09:47 PM
http://www.syracuse.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2015/12/bills_mario_williams_calls_those_leaking_reports_about_him_insurgents_and_not_ad.html

Coastal was right all along but in an indirect way. I thought bringing in great players would be a tipping point towards great performance.

I was wrong.

We've been collecting great players but not players who make teams great.

Anyone watch the Cardinals tonight?

Culture trumps strategy.

BuffaloRedleg
12-20-2015, 10:00 PM
Some of you look at it as a nefarious cash grab to bring great players in to put asses in seats, but I disagree. These old school football guys like Whaley who believe winning drafts and winning trades will make a team great. They legit think that these are the things that make teams great. They have outdated ideas of what makes a team great and they are wrong.

We have 16 years of garbage to prove it.

This team needs a President of football operations. Whaley is a fantastic evaluator of talent. He however is not a vision guy and does not have a keen eye for building a team.

Mario Williams needs to be removed immediately and we need a president who can steer this goddamn ship. And Rex needs to watch Miracle On Ice and learn a thing or two.

I will never waver on my belief that people, even Rex, can learn and grow.

Let's hope this has been a great lesson.

CommissarSpartacus
12-21-2015, 02:08 AM
Whaley is good with talent, Rex puts butts in seats. They need someone steering the ship that understands organizational behavior and management. Someone who doesn't give a **** about made up concepts like swagger.

The whole macho obsession with "swagger" as a benefit of success and a portent of future success is nuts. Guys with swagger are ass holes and ass holes destroy teams from within.

"What we had was a sense of urgency, a sense of urgency about playing well, being smart, and capitalizing on every opportunity and situation that came our way. ... It wasn't about a ****ing swagger. You can take that swagger and shove it up your ass, okay?‎" ~ Bill Belichek, "Patriot Reign", pg 89...