Was it ever realistic to expect better this season?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Albany,n.y.
    • Jul 2002

Was it ever realistic to expect better this season?

1st off. I'll admit I looked at the schedule before the season started and said 11-5. However, in hindsight, the possibility of a successful season was pretty slim. Let's examine the actual team we've got:

QB: We opened the season with a QB who had never started an NFL game & a has been veteran backup and a bust former 1st rounder 3rd string: What was the expectation? That Tyrod would instantly become Russell Wilson overnight? The reality was we were either going to have some growing pains, or worse, if Tyrod got injured, be in position where it would be tough to win any games in his absence. This was proven in the 2 games Tyrod missed and the other 12 he has played, where he's given us hope but is not a finished product.

O-line: Face it, the right side of the line was always going to be iffy in 2015. Henderson did not grade out well his rookie year & CK has proven to be a total bust. Now in the offseason, there was hope for CK, but the fact that he's already been passed by a guy the Bills got off the scrap heap makes CK a proven bust by now. The only bright spot has been the Incognito signing, which saved the left side.
    So, going into the season with a problem area at RT & a 3rd rd. rookie at RG, how high could the expectations have been.

RB: After Shady came back to nearly 100% things look good, but once FJ was let go, how optimistic could anyone be going into the season about depth? Karlos Williams looks good when he plays, but he misses more games than he plays, so who knows.

TE: We knew outside of Clay there wasn't much there.

K: Whether Carpenter is money or not (and this season he isn't) the fact that the team carries 2 kickers is ridiculous. Maybe we don't cut Cockrell and he provides DB depth.

The D was expected to carry the team, but with so many ? on offense, was that really realistic that they alone would help improve the record & make this a playoff team?

I think anyone calling for firings expected a lot more than was realistic. Let's see what happens in the offseason where upgrades on the O-line, QB depth or more competition, K, and a reconfiguration of the D roster, at least to replace Mario, will be needed.

We expected too much-I'm more mad at myself for being suckered in than the Bills management who deep down probably knew that this wasn't going to be a great year.
  • Night Train
    Retired - On Several Levels
    • Jul 2005

Re: Was it ever realistic to expect better this season?

D play was a bummer. O was a work with a new QB.

9 wins was my prediction. Jax loss sucked.

D has to improve a lot next year, especially tackling near the LOS.
    Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• justasportsfan
      • Jul 2002

If we had a HC who knew how to make use of the talent he had yes.

Turns out we hired a defensive coordinator who is forcing his system on the talent he inherited.
      sacrifice1
      https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• Scumbag College
        • Oct 2002

The D shouldn't have missed a beat. The only real loss during the offseason was Searcy, and I like Graham at safety in his place.

The offense is better with the additions of Incognito, Shady, and Clay. Tyrod is having a better year this year than Orton had last year. It was a definite mistake getting rid of FJax to keep Boobie, especially with the injuries at RB throughout the year.

I think this all goes to coaching. The D took a huge step backwards with pretty much the same personnel and a new scheme. The Bills probably lost the Giants and Eagles games due to penalties. Looking back it should have been a 10 win team. I think all of the blame lays squarely on the coaching staff if the Bills end up with the same or worse record than last year and miss the playoffs yet again.
        Remember Kevin Everett in your thoughts.

Vote Nader in 2008!

http://www.votenader.org/

Comment

• YardRat
          Well, lookie here...
          • Dec 2004

Doug ****ing Marrone led this team to a 9-7 record, and there was already a dominant defense in place, so hell yeah it was realistic to expect better. But, then they went and hired Wrecks.
          YardRat Wall of Fame
          #56 DARRYL TALLEY
          #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• YardRat
            Well, lookie here...
            • Dec 2004

THE TEAM THAT ****-CANNED WRECKS IS GOING TO MAKE THE PLAYOFFS AND WE AREN'T. Let that sink in for a second.
            YardRat Wall of Fame
            #56 DARRYL TALLEY

Comment

• Swiper
              Legendary Zoner
              • Sep 2010

We could be 9-5 right now had Whaley hired Bowles, Gailey and Fitzpatrick.

Comment

• sudzy
                • Apr 2013

Yes. I expect about 8-9 wins this year. And that was before I realize that the Bills had vastly improved at QB and RB. All they need was the "defensive genius" hired on to keep, what was basically the same defense (if anything they improved with Darby) on par with last years defense. Was it unrealistic to expect Rex's defense not to drop from 4th to 17th and the top pass rushing team to suddenly disappear.

Comment

• Swiper
                  Legendary Zoner
                  • Sep 2010

i hope everyone can now look in the mirror and say to themselves "Rex Ryan is not a defensive genius" at this juncture. If it not obvious that what he did in Baltimore was due to personnel more than scheme, then I cannot help you.

Todd Bowles may be your defensive genius.

2014 Jets - 25.1 points per game
                  2015 Jets - 19.4 ppg

Comment

• sdbillsfan2
                    • Apr 2005

I grew up when Ali was in his prime. He'd strut around proclaiming to be the greatest.
                    No we have Rex saying he's a good coach.Better then most.
                    The difference between these 2 is that Ali actually backed up his hype. Rex proved nothing before he got here so I didn't expect anything more then what Marrone left. Rex has a team with more talent yet reflects his own history. A perennial under-achiever.For the record.....if Rex is still here next yr.( which he will) I don't see much differnce in the future. Mediocrity as best. Hard to accept as I've grown up a Bills fan.1

" I'd try to see things from your point of view but..........there's only room up your a** for one head ! "

Comment

• Owen DeBoard
                      • Sep 2007

Originally posted by Scumbag College View Post
                      The D shouldn't have missed a beat. The only real loss during the offseason was Searcy, and I like Graham at safety in his place.

The offense is better with the additions of Incognito, Shady, and Clay. Tyrod is having a better year this year than Orton had last year. It was a definite mistake getting rid of FJax to keep Boobie, especially with the injuries at RB throughout the year.

I think this all goes to coaching. The D took a huge step backwards with pretty much the same personnel and a new scheme. The Bills probably lost the Giants and Eagles games due to penalties. Looking back it should have been a 10 win team. I think all of the blame lays squarely on the coaching staff if the Bills end up with the same or worse record than last year and miss the playoffs yet again.
                      Your also forgetting this team lost the best tackler the team had in Brandon Spikes. He didn't play every down but he was in on most running plays. This team has missed so many tackles that either lead to big plays or huge scores for other teams that swung momentum. Blame it on coaching all you want but players have to tackle.
                      To be the man you got to beat the man!

Comment

• Owen DeBoard
                        • Sep 2007

Originally posted by Swiper View Post
                        i hope everyone can now look in the mirror and say to themselves "Rex Ryan is not a defensive genius" at this juncture. If it not obvious that what he did in Baltimore was due to personnel more than scheme, then I cannot help you.

Todd Bowles may be your defensive genius.

2014 Jets - 25.1 points per game
                        2015 Jets - 19.4 ppg
                        Jets also have that guy named Revis back to name a few. Comparing years is like comparing apples to oranges. Let me guess if Todd Bowles coached this team they would tackle better?
                        To be the man you got to beat the man!

Comment

• coastal
                          Legendary Zoner
                          • Mar 2005

No

Comment

• justasportsfan
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Owen DeBoard View Post
                            Your also forgetting this team lost the best tackler the team had in Brandon Spikes. He didn't play every down but he was in on most running plays. This team has missed so many tackles that either lead to big plays or huge scores for other teams that swung momentum. Blame it on coaching all you want but players have to tackle.
                            The very same players didn't have a problem tackling under a different coach last year. Now they can't tackle and can't rush the qb. It's coaching
                            sacrifice1
                            https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• YardRat
                              Well, lookie here...
                              • Dec 2004

Originally posted by Owen DeBoard View Post
                              IMO if Schwartz were still with the team, Spikes would have been a priority to re-sign in the off season, right after Hughes. Would've been a helluva lot more worth the money than Harvin, Clay or Felton.
                              YardRat Wall of Fame
                              #56 DARRYL TALLEY

Comment

Working...
                              X