PDA

View Full Version : Anticipating the snap count

CommissarSpartacus
12-20-2015, 04:22 PM
I can anticipate all the Bills snap counts.

When they get over the ball, they do the shifting and the pointing, they get set, Wood looks down through his legs, and when he looks back up, he snaps the ball.

Now, I haven't done a study about whether he does it EVERY TIME, and it may be an accepted technique because coaches don;t think it's that big of a deal, but I've always thought qbs use the snap count to throw the other team off, because if you know when the snap is coming you can get a jump.

But I know since I've noticed it, I can hit the snap every time. Do other centers do that? Seems weird to me, like someone decided it makes no difference.

YardRat
12-20-2015, 04:42 PM
He did it lat season also, or something similar, I remember posting about it at that time. Haven't noticed it myself this season in all honesty, but I hadn't focused on it and it doesn't surprise me.

bleve
12-20-2015, 05:28 PM
the head bob is prefaced by the guard pointing. I noticed it too. The guard sticks out his hand as pointing to something, then the bob.

Point, bob, snap. Point, bob, snap. Point, bob, snap.

Scumbag College
12-20-2015, 05:31 PM
They have to use the same snap count every play or our OL will get 27 false start penalties a game.

coastal
12-20-2015, 06:39 PM
Waffle waffle!

Omaha!

DraftBoy
12-20-2015, 06:40 PM
It's a silent count, the center is usually looking for a signal from the QB (hand motion down, lifting his foot up) and the silent count starts in the head of the center and QB. Each play call comes in with a silent snap count and the easiest way to think about it is to think back to when you were playing backyard football and the rusher had to count to five Mississippi before rushing the QB.

The center sees the signal and literally starts counting in his head and when he gets to the preset count, he snaps the ball. The scheme was designed because defenses starting keying in on QB hard counts and jumping the snap for how or what the QB said before hiking it.

The signal can also be the OG next to him reaching out and touching his shoulder pad as well. Also when the QB start clapping wildly that is supposed to signal the OL to get set and snap it as soon as possible because the play clock is low.

From what I've seen from Roman's system they are utilizing primarily silent counts offensively and all the pre-snap language is either for defensive identification purposes or to try and shift players or blocking schemes. The scheme shouldn't be as easy as center sees signal and center snaps ball. Most JV high school teams can figure that out after about a half of football.

I don't know that I've seen Taylor utilize much of a hard count this year but I haven't seen every game so maybe I've missed it.

DraftBoy
12-20-2015, 06:44 PM
Waffle waffle!

Omaha!

Good examples of presnap language that teams utilize to either be a decoy or mean something.

Today in the Jags v. Falcons game, Blake Bortles would yell out "Ricky" and "Lucy" presnap if he wanted to shift his blocking to the left (Lucy) or right (Ricky). That language can also be used to disguise a call or audible, like an indicator sign in baseball to let you know which signs are real and which aren't.

Last year when the Broncos started using Omaha, Peyton Manning was asked about it and he wouldn't say much more than some of the calls with Omaha are real and some aren't.

Mace
12-20-2015, 06:57 PM
Did they do it again today ? I listened to the game, made a point of not watching it.

From last weeks Philly game : http://www.buffalorumblings.com/buffalo-bills-analysis-all-22/2015/12/14/10123766/buffalo-bills-penalties-offensive-line-silent-snap-count-john-miller

bleve
12-20-2015, 08:34 PM
Did they do it again today ? I listened to the game, made a point of not watching it.

From last weeks Philly game : http://www.buffalorumblings.com/buffalo-bills-analysis-all-22/2015/12/14/10123766/buffalo-bills-penalties-offensive-line-silent-snap-count-john-miller

I didn't notice it last week, but yes - that exact same thing.

Mace
12-20-2015, 09:07 PM
I didn't notice it last week, but yes - that exact same thing.

Then it's inexcusable. They're basically giving the other team a head start every play. Doing it 2 games in a row is mind boggling and grounds for firing whoever is responsible for it since they don't grasp that opponents watch film.

GreedoII
12-21-2015, 05:20 AM
I can anticipate all the Bills snap counts.

When they get over the ball, they do the shifting and the pointing, they get set, Wood looks down through his legs, and when he looks back up, he snaps the ball.

Now, I haven't done a study about whether he does it EVERY TIME, and it may be an accepted technique because coaches don;t think it's that big of a deal, but I've always thought qbs use the snap count to throw the other team off, because if you know when the snap is coming you can get a jump.

But I know since I've noticed it, I can hit the snap every time. Do other centers do that? Seems weird to me, like someone decided it makes no difference.

the Qb sucks...again

DraftBoy
12-21-2015, 05:25 AM
the Qb sucks...again

Not necessary just a QB thing, could be a Center, OLine, or Offensive Coordinator thing. You gotta remember there are a lot of new things to this offense this year. No guarantee that it's just on Taylor and not on anybody else.

Victor7
12-21-2015, 09:10 AM
Yup

Its not very hard to anticipate. Head bob, short wait, snap

Every time.

IlluminatusUIUC
12-21-2015, 09:14 AM
Yup

Its not very hard to anticipate. Head bob, short wait, snap

Every time.

Wood needs to very the "short wait" part. That's really it. Teams do this all the time.

Mace
12-21-2015, 04:26 PM
Wood needs to very the "short wait" part. That's really it. Teams do this all the time.

Not exactly the same though, play after play. It's entirely on the coaches, imho and no way around it.

IlluminatusUIUC
12-21-2015, 11:11 PM
Not exactly the same though, play after play. It's entirely on the coaches, imho and no way around it.

Right, he shouldn't be using the same amount of time, but the "he pulls up his head and then snaps the ball a short time after" is ordinary stuff for a shotgun offense on the road.

DraftBoy
12-22-2015, 05:20 AM
Right, he shouldn't be using the same amount of time, but the "he pulls up his head and then snaps the ball a short time after" is ordinary stuff for a shotgun offense on the road.

It's a combination to me, the coaches need to recognize the tendency and adjust the silent count and Wood needs to see what he's going on film and fix it.

Historian
12-22-2015, 08:25 AM
When Wood looks through his legs, then back up, I always wonder why that isn't illegal procedure.