PDA

View Full Version : Bills with the 4th fewest QB pressures in the league on O

X-Era
12-21-2015, 01:40 PM
https://twitter.com/PFF/status/679005632201027586

Interesting stat. I think the o-line is better than many give it credit for.

I do want to re-sign Glenn and Incognito and add a young guy. But I don't think we need to draft an OT in the 1st round this year.

mightysimi
12-21-2015, 01:41 PM
I would be interested to see the attempts part of that stat line. I would be Buffalo has substantially less.

stuckincincy
12-21-2015, 01:48 PM

I do want to re-sign Glenn and Incognito and add a young guy. But I don't think we need to draft an OT in the 1st round this year.

They had a qb that ran around like a chicken with a bucket of boiling water flung at its' fanny. You don't get pressured when your qb takes one look and then takes off.

Their OL blows.

gebobs
12-21-2015, 01:51 PM
I would be interested to see the attempts part of that stat line. I would be Buffalo has substantially less.

Of the 32 QBs in the league with minimum 200 attempts, Taylor averages the fewest per game, about 28.

X-Era
12-21-2015, 01:56 PM
Of the 32 QBs in the league with minimum 200 attempts, Taylor averages the fewest per game, about 28.

We don't throw as much as other teams that is true.

But he's the 5th highest QB in passers rating, 7th in QBR (ESPN), tied for 6th in TD's per attempt percentage (6.0%). and 5th in yards per attempt. 11th most sacked but guys like Brady, Rogers, and Wilson have all been sacked more.

And the big stat is that we are the #1 rushing offense in the league.

We run the ball better than any other team, get very good yards when we do throw, are about average at giving up sacks.

If the o-line is horrible I'm not seeing the proof.

stuckincincy
12-21-2015, 02:17 PM

But he's the 5th highest QB in passers rating, 7th in QBR (ESPN), tied for 6th in TD's per attempt percentage (6.0%). and 5th in yards per attempt. 11th most sacked but guys like Brady, Rogers, and Wilson have all been sacked more.

We run the ball better than any other team, get very good yards when we do throw, are about average at giving up sacks.

They have had several very long runs by rbs that will likely be distant memories in years hence, which pads the overall run stats. A guard or a tackle opening up a hole time to time against a D caught flat-footed does not make for a quality OL. It's 16 years and running since a playoff berth. Nothing about the team deserves an ounce of praise, including the kid that serves up the Gatorade.

Joe Fo Sho
12-21-2015, 02:30 PM
They have had several very long runs by rbs that will likely be distant memories in years hence, which pads the overall run stats. A guard or a tackle opening up a hole time to time against a D caught flat-footed does not make for a quality OL.

Are you saying that our O-Line isn't good because it opens up holes for our running backs to have big runs?

Does the #2 rushing offense have only 6 yard runs over and over again or do they have big runs too?

SpikedLemonade
12-21-2015, 02:34 PM

When have you ever? Same crap. Different year.

Some fans get the team they deserve.

Did you enjoy getting stuffed on the one yard repeatedly yesterday?

Crisis
12-21-2015, 02:37 PM
For the most part the run blocking is fine.

We're atrocious in pass blocking and short yardage situations though. We never get any push on 3rd and short.

I think Roman's schemes make up for a lot of the deficiencies on the OL in terms of run blocking.

Mr. Pink
12-21-2015, 02:44 PM
And they have the 4th fewest passing attempts in the league.

In other words, who gives a flying beeeeeeeeeep about this meaningless stat.

stuckincincy
12-21-2015, 02:46 PM
Are you saying that our O-Line isn't good because it opens up holes for our running backs to have big runs?

Does the #2 rushing offense have only 6 yard runs over and over again or do they have big runs too?

They could be #1 in rushing for all I care. They have a qb who completes passes to a sure thing, otherwise dances and runs.

They are OUT of the playoffs.

gebobs
12-22-2015, 08:19 AM

The proof is not in such a meaningless stat as quarterback pressures. The proper statistic would be pressures per attempt and I'd be surprised if the Bills were even in the top half of the league. Rare is the time that Taylor sits in the pocket with time to throw.

As for passer rating and QBR, I don't see how they are even relevant.

#1 rushing team <> run the ball better. Nearly a quarter of our yards are from Taylor. Much of that is from broken pass plays.

Decent though not great run blocking. Mediocre pass protection. I think the squad needs to be looked at. I'm all for o-line continuity, but rare is the time that a team has too much o-line depth. And who is coming back for sure?

MillsapsBillsFan
12-22-2015, 09:06 AM
QB pressures is such an objective stat. If Tyrod gets out of the pocket is that a pressure? What exactly defines what is and isn't a pressure?. Also they are 10th in the league for sacks allowed with 37, despite having some of the lowest attempts in the NFL. The O-Line is better than expected, but that doesn't mean theyre good by any stretch of the imagination. You cant tell me you watched that game last week (when Tyrod had players in his face every play) that you were thinking to yourself "man, that's a good o-line"

gebobs
12-22-2015, 09:11 AM
QB pressures is such an objective stat.
I think you mean "subjective".

If Tyrod gets out of the pocket is that a pressure? What exactly defines what is and isn't a pressure?
If the quarterback is flushed out of the pocket by a defender or throws the ball before he's ready, it is a pressure. Obviously there's a lot of judgment that goes into making that determination so yes it's pretty subjective.

MillsapsBillsFan
12-22-2015, 09:13 AM
I think you mean "subjective".

If the quarterback is flushed out of the pocket by a defender or throws the ball before he's ready, it is a pressure. Obviously there's a lot of judgment that goes into making that determination so yes it's pretty subjective.

Whoops. You're right, I mean subjective. Yeah that was my point, what is and isn't a pressure relies quite a bit on the judgment of the person grading the film