• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mightysimi
    Buckle me in on the highway of sin
    • Mar 2010

Tyrod Taylor QB of the future?

For those who are strongly against Taylor and think he sucks, who is the replacement? Providing problems without solutions is just whining. So who is it? Who can we get off the street that will replace his production? By production I mean:

- Hitting on over 60% of passes
    - 8.0 Yards per play average
    - 20 TD's to 5 int 4:1 ratio
    - Top 5 in completions of 40+ yards
    - Rating of over 100
    - 450 yards and 3 TD's on the ground

Obviously there are a few stats where he isn't good. Sacks, completions of 20-40 yards and such but they aren't so bad that they can't be overcome with coaching,experience or scheme.
    First year starter in a new system. If we got that kind of production out of a rookie, we would be through the roof. Here we want to replace him with an imaginary QB that will miraculously be available.

He does run a little too quickly, he does lock on to receivers but at least those aren't being turned into int which is really the danger there. He is short and the risk of injury always will exist with running qb's. However, I for one don't see anyone on the horizon that can come in tomorrow and replace what Tyrod has done.

For those who despise Taylor, who is it? Who replaces him? Who can realistically come in and continue to improve this offence?
  • stuckincincy
    Buffalo Bills Fan
    • Sep 2003

Re: Tyrod Taylor QB of the future?

Who knows who can replace him? The BUF franchise has has been as inept as CLE in judging and obtaining QB talent.

They may as well keep him.
    Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• mightysimi
      • Mar 2010

Originally posted by stuckincincy View Post
      Who knows who can replace him? The BUF franchise has has been as inept as CLE in judging and obtaining QB talent.

They may as well keep him.
      So you are putting Taylor in the same category as Weeden and Manziel? I don't see the production from those 2 to merit that comparison.

Comment

• stuckincincy
        Buffalo Bills Fan
        • Sep 2003

Originally posted by mightysimi View Post
        So you are putting Taylor in the same category as Weeden and Manziel? I don't see the production from those 2 to merit that comparison.
        I put him into the category of the latest in a long line of qb farts acquired by this team. Don't put up straw man arguments re Manzeil and Weeden.

Good gosh...he takes 1 look to the sidelines, then dances and scoots. BAL had him for 4 years behind Flacco. They have a sharp FO...if they thought he was something more than an emergency qb, they would have peddled him off a long time ago.
        Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• The King
          Without me it's just Awe so
          • Jun 2004

I think Taylor is pretty much what we need he can extend drives and protects the football.
          We have McCoy we're a run first team. He needs to protect the ball and extend drives which he's doing relatively well. His ability to connect with Watkins has been an added bonus.
          I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
          "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
          You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
          It was all
          true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
          He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
          mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• Joe Fo Sho
            Making Spirits Bright
            • Mar 2006

Originally posted by stuckincincy View Post
            Good gosh...he takes 1 look to the sidelines, then dances and scoots. BAL had him for 4 years behind Flacco. They have a sharp FO...if they thought he was something more than an emergency qb, they would have peddled him off a long time ago.
            The Ravens not trading Tyrod is not proof that they thought he was worthless.

I'm far from sold on T-Twice (like you are), but being the #2 QB for an organization with a 'sharp FO' is more of an accolade than a condemnation. He has his pros and cons, but I'm not sure that we have or will have anything better in the near future.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
              Peterman Sucks!
              • Mar 2006

Someone who doesn't refuse to throw in the middle of the field. Someone who can sustain drives. Someone who has pocket awareness. Someone who is more than a one read RB. Someone who isn't long bomb to Watkins or nothing.

Can't be that hard to find someone else.

Comment

• sdbillsfan2
                • Apr 2005

Kelly , Marino Montana , Brady all replaced someone.Unless you keep looking to improve yourself your going no where. Taylor was the best option this year. Who knows about next ydear. I sure dont want our second option to be a whole lot worse. We have this now in EJ .

" I'd try to see things from your point of view but..........there's only room up your a** for one head ! "

Comment

• Albany,n.y.
                  • Jul 2002

The OP is more proof that QB stats are the most worthless stats in all of sports.

I've been a Tyrod guy from the day he signed, but that's mainly because I knew he couldn't possibly be as bad as Cassel or EJ. However, Tyrod looks a lot better on paper than he does on the field. Most of his games are half good-literally. He rarely plays well in both halves. In the Philadelphia & Washington games he was wildly inaccurate for at least half of each game. In most of the losses, he's played horrible until the game was out of reach, then found his stride when the pressure to win was off.

Is he the QB of the future? Maybe, if he improves, but otherwise, they better bring in some competition.

Comment

• Oaf
                    Do you read what you write?
                    • Jun 2007

Bills could've traded for Kirk Cousins instead of Matt Cassell. Just saying. Tyrod is great, but which QB would you really want?

Comment

• Typ0
                      honey pie
                      • Jul 2002

Tyrod has a long way to go to achieve greatness. Right now he's not good enough. We need another guy.

Comment

• mightysimi
                        • Mar 2010

Yet to hear one name.

He has his flaws but I believe game experience is how you improve. I believe he can improve but how much is yet to be seen. He has at least earned the shot next year. I'm not saying you shouldn't always look to improve every position but to flat out get someone else instead of him next year? I just don't see it as possible or necessary at this point.

Comment

• Mace
                          Haha...yeah you think so ?
                          • Mar 2013

Yet to hear one name.

He has his flaws but I believe game experience is how you improve. I believe he can improve but how much is yet to be seen. He has at least earned the shot next year. I'm not saying you shouldn't always look to improve every position but to flat out get someone else instead of him next year? I just don't see it as possible or necessary at this point.
                          Have to agree since he's about as good as we're gonna get anyway and is essentially a veteran rookie QB. If a rookie QB does like he did, you're intrigued. At worse he's an adequate bridge QB and future dynamic backup.

My biggest issue with the guy, figuring already on a learning curve, is durability. I just can't see him staying healthy. Russell Wilson is wee too, but mades faster reads and gets rid of the ball quicker, minimizing his brutal hits. 2016 is the future, so he's the QB of it for now. Best we'll get is another rookie we'll hope can be as ok as Taylor is.

Comment

• Typ0
                            honey pie
                            • Jul 2002

I wouldn't think it a bad thing were he the starter day one next year ... without Ryan's cluster ****. Having a better guy would be better though.

Yet to hear one name.

Comment

• Albany,n.y.
                              • Jul 2002

Yet to hear one name.

Matthew Stafford
                              Earlier this season there were rumors that Detroit would be willing to trade him. If he's on the market Whaley should do anything possible to get him. A deal along the lines of what the Bills gave up for Bennett in 1987 would be acceptable.

Comment

Working...
                              X