PDA

View Full Version : Imagine What This Year's Offense Would Have Been Like If Percy Harvin Stayed Healthy

BillsImpossible
12-22-2015, 06:09 PM
That was the one key loss because Harvin opened up the entire offense.

Teams couldn't just concentrate on shutting down Sammy Watkins, they had to cover Harvin too, which often led to Charles Clay being wide open.

The running game would have been better as well with a healthy Harvin on the field. Safeties couldn't cheat up and play the run as easy.

When healthy, the Bills offense has been the most explosive we've seen in a long time.

Not bad for a 26 year old "rookie," quarterback playing his first full NFL season.

Not bad for a 5th round rookie in Karlos Williams.

Not bad for a 3rd round rookie in John Miller.

LeSean McCoy just made the Pro Bowl.

Sammy Watkins has stepped up his game and is starting to play up to expectations. He would have had a better season too if Harvin didn't get hurt.

It was a risky gamble, but I liked the concept behind signing Percy Harvin. He opened up the playbook. If he wasn't injured, I think the Bills would still be in the playoff picture.

The NFL is a passing league, and Tyrod Taylor has proven that he can make great long throws on the money.

The Bills offense is a #2 receiver, and a right tackle away from being capable of putting up 30 points a game.

The defense....let's not go there in this thread, just avoid it, like Mario Williams has all year.

Mr. Pink
12-22-2015, 06:18 PM
Yeah, Harvin would have caught some streaks instead of Sammy.

ie no difference.

Turf
12-22-2015, 06:32 PM
Imagine what the team might have been with an offensive and defensive coordinator.

Ginger Vitis
12-22-2015, 06:32 PM
OF course BI doesn't want to talk about the defense.. A defense he thought would be just as good as the 85 Bears defense

BillsImpossible
12-22-2015, 06:34 PM
Yeah, Harvin would have caught some streaks instead of Sammy.

ie no difference.

Woods and Hogan are slot receivers. Harvin was a legit #2 receiver teams had to respect.

The Bills don't have a #2 WR.

Mace
12-22-2015, 06:35 PM
Well, for what it's worth I really liked Harvin in his role and thought he was becoming a deadly go-to.

Mace
12-22-2015, 06:37 PM
Woods and Hogan are slot receivers. Harvin was a legit #2 receiver teams had to respect.

I saw Harvin more as deadly in the slot and Woods outside in the current version of the game, but hey, it would have been a damn fine set of worry if we had a legitimate passing offense or wanted to keep paying too much to fake one.

Mr. Pink
12-22-2015, 06:37 PM

The only real play in the playbook that works or accomplishes anything passing wise is a streak. There are only so many balls to go around so instead of Sammy catching all the streaks, Harvin would have caught some of them.

That's the only thing that would have changed.

And Percy Harvin is not a #2, he's a slot receiver, regardless of the fact he never liked being referred to as such.

BillsImpossible
12-22-2015, 06:45 PM
OF course BI doesn't want to talk about the defense.. A defense he thought would be just as good as the 85 Bears defense

I'll blame that one on the beer and my overly optimistic personality.

It was still fun drinking that sauce though, no regrets.

BillsImpossible
12-22-2015, 06:49 PM
The only real play in the playbook that works or accomplishes anything passing wise is a streak. There are only so many balls to go around so instead of Sammy catching all the streaks, Harvin would have caught some of them.

That's the only thing that would have changed.

And Percy Harvin is not a #2, he's a slot receiver, regardless of the fact he never liked being referred to as such.

In other words, you agree.

The Bills don't have a #2 receiver.

Well done!

Mr. Pink
12-22-2015, 06:53 PM
In other words, you agree.

The Bills don't have a #2 receiver.

Well done!

Yes they do, Robert Woods is a 2.

They don't have a slot WR. Not that that really matters since the QB doesn't throw quick slants or anything over the middle anyway.

Mace
12-22-2015, 07:00 PM

They don't have a slot WR. Not that that really matters since the QB doesn't throw quick slants or anything over the middle anyway.

Bingo.

BillsImpossible
12-22-2015, 07:20 PM
Well, for what it's worth I really liked Harvin in his role and thought he was becoming a deadly go-to.

For a short time, he was that deadly go-to player that burned defenses down to a crisp.

That kind of player can dictate what defenses do. They have to respect a player like Harvin, and his play changes the game plan on both sides.

At the start of the season, Harvin was playing like the #1 while Sammy Watkins was doing his best to recover from injury.

That's the kind of player the Bills don't have at wide receiver.

Without Harvin, teams can focus more on stopping the run, put a corner, safety, and nickel back on Watkins, a linebacker and safety on Clay, and let the 2nd corner or nickel backs cover Hogan and Woods.

With Harvin, teams can not focus on stopping the run, and are forced to pick their poison.

Greg Roman's offense this season was intended to focus on passing the football.

It didn't work out because the most important player in his offense got injured.

Mr. Pink
12-22-2015, 07:26 PM

It didn't work out because his QB is afraid of the middle of the field.

Fixed it for you. :up:

BillsImpossible
12-22-2015, 07:29 PM

What is a #2 wide receiver in the NFL?

A #2 wide receiver is a player that can step in and replace the #1 WR if necessary.

Robert Woods can not replace Sammy Watkins.

While Sammy was battling to get healthy, Percy Harvin stepped up and delivered.

Some were calling him the #1 early in the season.

Robert Woods is not a #2 WR because he can never be a #1.

Now I have to go #1, excuse me for a moment.

EDS
12-22-2015, 07:33 PM
When was the last time Percy Harvin was relevant as an NFL reciever?

BillsImpossible
12-22-2015, 07:34 PM
Fixed it for you. :up:

The middle of the field can easily be taken away without a legit #2 WR.

To make a long story short, Andre Reed agrees with me.

SpikedLemonade
12-22-2015, 07:34 PM
Anyone who wonders how the Bills will sell tickets next year just has to read this guy's posts to understand just how many crap sandwiches local Buffalo Bills fans can and will eat.

Mr. Pink
12-22-2015, 07:35 PM
What is a #2 wide receiver in the NFL?

A #2 wide receiver is a player that can step in and replace the #1 WR if necessary.

Robert Woods can not replace Sammy Watkins.

While Sammy was battling to get healthy, Percy Harvin stepped up and delivered.

Some were calling him the #1 early in the season.

Robert Woods is not a #2 WR because he can never be a #1.

Now I have to go #1, excuse me for a moment.

You're outright ridiculous and pretty much flat out wrong.

Watkins and Harvin were both on the field through the first three weeks. Harvin's high mark game was week 1 with 5 catches for 79 yards. Watkins didn't play in week 4 and 5, Harvin did. You know what Harvin did in those two games?

3 catches 26 yards.

How's that for stepping up? *drops mic*

Mace
12-22-2015, 07:36 PM
For a short time, he was that deadly go-to player that burned defenses down to a crisp.

That kind of player can dictate what defenses do. They have to respect a player like Harvin, and his play changes the game plan on both sides.

At the start of the season, Harvin was playing like the #1 while Sammy Watkins was doing his best to recover from injury.

That's the kind of player the Bills don't have at wide receiver.

Without Harvin, teams can focus more on stopping the run, put a corner, safety, and nickel back on Watkins, a linebacker and safety on Clay, and let the 2nd corner or nickel backs cover Hogan and Woods.

With Harvin, teams can not focus on stopping the run, and are forced to pick their poison.

It didn't work out because the most important player in his offense got injured.

Well not really though. I mean I can agree Harvin made them deadlier, but Woods and Hogan can catch if they threw to the obvious middle of the field. That teams can focus on the run is more that we don't use the middle of the field.

Roman's offense was intended to run the ball (McCoy, Felton, Incognito), Whaley just loaded him up on passing weapons because he was trying to grab as many shinies as he could, like wow, see what I can get ! Harvin would have fit perfectly into the changeup, but 6 million a year for an iffy health/attitude guy was just crazy and another example of Whaley lacking focus in trying to grab as much as he could without comprehension of the price or focus on the context.

Would have worked fine if Harvin was robust, and a little homework could have told anyone he wasn't though. Shame he went down when he did, like I said I liked what he brought to the table.

McCoy is and was perceived as the most important player though, and if you don't like it, it's not my fault, just Whaley/Ryan/Roman.

BillsImpossible
12-22-2015, 07:38 PM
When was the last time Percy Harvin was relevant as an NFL reciever?

October 4th, 2015.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/gamelog/_/id/12569/percy-harvin

Mr. Pink
12-22-2015, 07:42 PM
3 catches for 26 yards is relevant now?!

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Do the board a favor and stop posting your inane and vapid thoughts.

K? Thanks!

BillsImpossible
12-22-2015, 07:44 PM
3 catches for 26 yards is relevant now?!

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Do the board a favor and stop posting your inane and vapid thoughts.

K? Thanks!

I guess that game against the Fish doesn't count.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/gamelog/_/id/12569/percy-harvin

justasportsfan
12-22-2015, 07:49 PM
Harvin was a waste of time.

stuckincincy
12-22-2015, 07:51 PM

And a $4M cap hit...

BillsImpossible
12-22-2015, 07:53 PM

Although his tenure was short lived, he was the best #2 WR since when?

YardRat
12-22-2015, 08:02 PM
I may say you're a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will be as one

Mr. Pink
12-22-2015, 08:05 PM
I may say you're a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will be as one

You're far too nice Yardie!

BillsImpossible
12-22-2015, 08:12 PM
Percy Harvin was the best #2 WR the Bills have had since...

Josh Reed? Stevie Johnson?

Mr. Pink
12-22-2015, 08:16 PM
Percy Harvin was the best #2 WR the Bills have had since...

Josh Reed? Stevie Johnson?

Never. No one. He wasn't better than the guy he attempted to replace and is now back to the 2.

Mostly because Harvin is a slot receiver aka gadget player.

Forward_Lateral
12-23-2015, 06:07 AM
Harvin sucks.

justasportsfan
12-23-2015, 09:02 AM
Although his tenure was short lived, he was the best #2 WR since when?

he was the ok because Rex tried to force him on Roman. When teams clamped down on him when Watkins went downHarvin did squat.

Victor7
12-23-2015, 09:14 AM
This isn't a very good thread.

Harvin is nowhere near as good as he's made out to be. He's also a head case and a walking injury. On the other board I started an over / under bet about how long he'd last. I had set the line at 6 games and took the under. I won. Everyone and their mothers knew it would happen.

Harvin is useless and expensive. Having him on the team would've changed nothing. This season went down the garbage because of our defense, not the offense.

TacklingDummy
12-23-2015, 12:01 PM
Imagine what this offense would have done with a real QB and not a gimmick running back who occasionally connects on a bomb.

Woodman
12-23-2015, 12:03 PM
What if we had a great coach and a healthy team?

Ginger Vitis
12-23-2015, 03:00 PM
and a walking injury On the other board I started an over / under bet about how long he'd last. I had set the line at 6 games and took the under. I won. Everyone and their mothers knew it would happen.

Did you have the llne on Marquise Goodwin set at 6 games or a lower number?

kscdogbillsfan1221
12-23-2015, 03:37 PM
although the O wasn't perfect this year, the constant underachieving defense was the big problem with the exception of a few games (second patriot game for example)

also, the consistently horrific special teams as well