PDA

View Full Version : Polian May be a consultant, but Won't Wear the Czar Crown

cookie G
12-23-2015, 06:43 PM
Consultant would be fine with me.

Polian willing to help Bills find a way to end playoff drought

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2015/12/23/247898/

Bill Polian hates what Buffalo Bills fans have had to endure for 16 years in a row. He feels their pain, their heartache, their utter frustration.

And when any of them asks the former Bills general manager and Pro Football Hall of Fame member what their team needs to do to finally end its postseason drought – whether it’s during his weekly show on SiriusXM NFL Radio or in an airport – he won’t hesitate to offer his thoughts.

Fix the offensive line, which he calls “aging and unathletic.” Add a receiver to complement Sammy Watkins. Get a true backup to quarterback Tyrod Taylor and draft a QB of the future.

Polian, who resides in North Carolina, said by phone Wednesday he’s willing to provide far more detailed and comprehensive analysis directly to the Bills, but only on a consulting basis. He also made it clear that the Bills, with whom he began a long and illustrious NFL career, are the only team for which he would be a consultant.

BillsImpossible
12-23-2015, 06:51 PM
Good, czars suck.

Mace
12-23-2015, 06:59 PM
Oh I could live with this, yes.

IlluminatusUIUC
12-23-2015, 07:49 PM
Fix the offensive line, which he calls “aging and unathletic.”

Aging? There is one starter currently over 30 and he was the best one on the line. Three other positions are still on their rookie contracts.

Mace
12-23-2015, 07:57 PM
Aging? There is one starter currently over 30 and he was the best one on the line. Three other positions are still on their rookie contracts.

Good point but I'll accept it needs to be improved. I think Polian would be a better consultant with oomph instead of theoretical GM or permanent prez of operations. He might not be your guy for modern day fine tuning but I think he'd be great at setting up an efficient football oriented organization.

SpikedLemonade
12-23-2015, 08:18 PM
Consultant would be fine with me.

Polian willing to help Bills find a way to end playoff drought

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2015/12/23/247898/

Bill Polian hates what Buffalo Bills fans have had to endure for 16 years in a row. He feels their pain, their heartache, their utter frustration.

And when any of them asks the former Bills general manager and Pro Football Hall of Fame member what their team needs to do to finally end its postseason drought – whether it’s during his weekly show on SiriusXM NFL Radio or in an airport – he won’t hesitate to offer his thoughts.

Fix the offensive line, which he calls “aging and unathletic.” Add a receiver to complement Sammy Watkins. Get a true backup to quarterback Tyrod Taylor and draft a QB of the future.

Polian, who resides in North Carolina, said by phone Wednesday he’s willing to provide far more detailed and comprehensive analysis directly to the Bills, but only on a consulting basis. He also made it clear that the Bills, with whom he began a long and illustrious NFL career, are the only team for which he would be a consultant.

"But...but...but...our OL is good enough. We need to save that money and high draft picks for more WRs and DBs..."

SpikedLemonade
12-23-2015, 08:19 PM

Young or old they are still as a group a piece of crap.

WagonCircler
12-23-2015, 08:29 PM
If Polian is speaking this openly with the press, the excrement is about to hit the fan at One Bills Drive.

I'm not sure anyone's safe, including Rex.

As a consultant, Polian wouldn’t limit his input to player-personnel. Among the examples of issues that need addressing are the problems Ryan had with replay challenges in the Nov. 29 loss at Kansas City.

“I was shocked when I heard that – shocked out of my shoes,” Polian said. “Everyone in the league has a” replay “system and a person assigned to it. Secondly,” defensive “calls not getting in on time and too many men on the field. You should never have too many men on the field because if the offense substitutes, you can substitute. You have all the time you need to make those substitutions. If the offense doesn’t substitute, you’re not worried about substituting. That’s clear-cut.”

And what of the many problems with players struggling to learn or flat-out rejecting Ryan’s defensive scheme?

His answer will no doubt be music to the ears of Mario Williams, Jerry Hughes, Marcell Dareus, Preston Brown, and other players who have openly questioned the defense’s fit for those who have to play it.

“You need veterans to make that defense work,” Polian said. “First of all, the players thrived in another system – in a simple, straight forward, very easy to understand, very easy to communicate system where there was constant repetition of the same thing, over and over again, taught in a very straight-forward way. And the techniques were geared toward what the players could do, what their skill sets were, and the plans were constructed around the players and what they could do.

“Rex’s defense is just the opposite. It is not straight forward. It’s exceedingly complex. There is no carry over learning from one week to the next. There’s exceedingly complex language. There are exceedingly complex checks that have to be made at the line of scrimmage. There is a guy designated to make those checks. It was” linebacker “Ray Lewis in Baltimore and it was” safety “Jimmy Leonhard with the Jets, who literally could not put one foot in front of the other at the end of his career.

“I remember asking one of the Jets’ coaches during the offseason, ‘How in God’s name can you put Jimmy Leonhard on the field?’ He said, ‘No one else can translate the defense, no one else can get everybody lined up.’”

YardRat
12-23-2015, 08:47 PM
lol...

The team needs to improve the offensive line.
The team needs a QB.
Rex's 'defensive genius' will (did) ruin a dominant unit because it's too complicated and doesn't play to the player's strengths.

Why the **** should anybody pay for that kind of advice when they can (and could have) gotten the same wisdom by reading these forums?

Mace
12-23-2015, 08:51 PM
lol...

The team needs to improve the offensive line.
The team needs a QB.
Rex's 'defensive genius' will (did) ruin a dominant unit because it's too complicated and doesn't play to the player's strengths.

Why the **** should anybody pay for that kind of advice when they can (and could have) gotten the same wisdom by reading these forums?

Big shots only listen to other big shots, even when it comes to the obvious.

Mace
12-23-2015, 08:55 PM
If Polian is speaking this openly with the press, the excrement is about to hit the fan at One Bills Drive.

If Polian is speaking this openly with the press, he's either trying to sell himself to an ownership that already sold itself to Ryan, or he's venting his conscience for the hell of it not expecting anything.

Rex is going nowhere, he's the big shiny.

WagonCircler
12-23-2015, 08:56 PM
Some big shots don't need a map to the playoffs. They not only know the way there, they know how to build the vehicle.

Mr. Miyagi
12-23-2015, 08:59 PM
Please come in Polian and clean house. You can shape it any way you want.

Mace
12-23-2015, 08:59 PM
Some big shots don't need a map to the playoffs. They not only know the way there, they know how to build the vehicle.

Oh yeah, enduring excellence is the hallmark of the Colts.

WagonCircler
12-23-2015, 09:15 PM
Oh yeah, enduring excellence is the hallmark of the Colts.

Polian can flip you off with a Super Bowl ring on his middle finger. And he would, but you're a ****ing nobody.

jlgarsh
12-23-2015, 09:19 PM
Anyone who doesn't think Bill Polian could at least help somewhat is crazy...

sukie
12-23-2015, 09:31 PM
Bill is really really old. When was the last time he did anything "footbally" ? He thought the bills line was aging... He'll have no Mannlng or Kelly. Thinking Tyrod needs a real backup and not a challenge makes me think a couple of cards fell out of the deck. He probably thinks running back is still pivotal in this new brand of passing football. Nothing he said was uber yoda like. Washed up

WagonCircler
12-23-2015, 09:41 PM
He probably thinks running back is still pivotal in this new brand of passing football.

Yeah. That's why he pissed all over Whaley renegotiating McCoy's contract.

I guess in your mind being young is the key to winning.

You seem that stupid.

PromoTheRobot
12-23-2015, 09:57 PM
Polian can flip you off with a Super Bowl ring on his middle finger. And he would, but you're a ****ing nobody.

A lot of clowns have rings.

BertSquirtgum
12-23-2015, 10:48 PM
Bill is really really old. When was the last time he did anything "footbally" ? He thought the bills line was aging... He'll have no Mannlng or Kelly. Thinking Tyrod needs a real backup and not a challenge makes me think a couple of cards fell out of the deck. He probably thinks running back is still pivotal in this new brand of passing football. Nothing he said was uber yoda like. Washed up

He's just as old as your previous GM.

pmoon6
12-24-2015, 12:36 AM
Bill is really really old. When was the last time he did anything "footbally" ? He thought the bills line was aging... He'll have no Mannlng or Kelly. Thinking Tyrod needs a real backup and not a challenge makes me think a couple of cards fell out of the deck. He probably thinks running back is still pivotal in this new brand of passing football. Nothing he said was uber yoda like. Washed upHmmm. The team he built got to the NFC title game with Kerry Collins at QB in three years from expansion.

pmoon6
12-24-2015, 12:42 AM

As a consultant, Polian wouldn’t limit his input to player-personnel. Among the examples of issues that need addressing are the problems Ryan had with replay challenges in the Nov. 29 loss at Kansas City.

“I was shocked when I heard that – shocked out of my shoes,” Polian said. “Everyone in the league has a” replay “system and a person assigned to it. Secondly,” defensive “calls not getting in on time and too many men on the field. You should never have too many men on the field because if the offense substitutes, you can substitute. You have all the time you need to make those substitutions. If the offense doesn’t substitute, you’re not worried about substituting. That’s clear-cut.”

And what of the many problems with players struggling to learn or flat-out rejecting Ryan’s defensive scheme?

His answer will no doubt be music to the ears of Mario Williams, Jerry Hughes, Marcell Dareus, Preston Brown, and other players who have openly questioned the defense’s fit for those who have to play it.

“You need veterans to make that defense work,” Polian said. “First of all, the players thrived in another system – in a simple, straight forward, very easy to understand, very easy to communicate system where there was constant repetition of the same thing, over and over again, taught in a very straight-forward way. And the techniques were geared toward what the players could do, what their skill sets were, and the plans were constructed around the players and what they could do.

“Rex’s defense is just the opposite. It is not straight forward. It’s exceedingly complex. There is no carry over learning from one week to the next. There’s exceedingly complex language. There are exceedingly complex checks that have to be made at the line of scrimmage. There is a guy designated to make those checks. It was” linebacker “Ray Lewis in Baltimore and it was” safety “Jimmy Leonhard with the Jets, who literally could not put one foot in front of the other at the end of his career.

“I remember asking one of the Jets’ coaches during the offseason, ‘How in God’s name can you put Jimmy Leonhard on the field?’ He said, ‘No one else can translate the defense, no one else can get everybody lined up.’”I said it when he blew the game in KC. Rexy should have been fired for gross incompetence afterwards. He, himself, blew the playoffs that day.

swiper
12-24-2015, 03:30 AM
If OBD wants Polian involved as a personnel advisor, then the fact is that your GM isn't good enough. Just replace your GM.

But I'd still love to know who Polian would go after as head coach and coordinators.

kscdogbillsfan1221
12-24-2015, 03:57 AM
the only thing that doesn't excite me about this is the fact that it was reported that he liked Marrone.....

Ginger Vitis
12-24-2015, 04:49 AM
Yep anytime you think you have to bring in in some sort of consultant or advisor it means you're unhappy with your GM and he has to go..Years ago the Toronto Maple Leafs waned to bring in Scotty Bowman to advise John Ferguson the GM. So stupid that line of thinking..Just fire Ferguson and give Bowman the GMs job

pmoon6
12-24-2015, 05:32 AM
If OBD wants Polian involved as a personnel advisor, then the fact is that your GM isn't good enough. Just replace your GM.

But I'd still love to know who Polian would go after as head coach and coordinators.Tony Dungey HC. Then Tony picks his staff.

GreedoII
12-24-2015, 05:35 AM
the game has passed him by no thanks...stop clinging to the past OBD. These 4 SB losses is such a curse it's like they are trying to relive it rather than move the eff on....

chris66
12-24-2015, 05:36 AM
Polian hasnt built any thing in ober 20 years. His Indy teams were softer than puppy poop

sukie
12-24-2015, 06:53 AM
Yeah. That's why he pissed all over Whaley renegotiating McCoy's contract.

I guess in your mind being young is the key to winning.

You seem that stupid.

Seriously... his best at running a football team post free agency was the Panthers... 94-97.

Colts? he drafted Manning which wasn't a genius move He worked Leaf and Manning out... It was Manning or Leaf. Still it took 8 years to win with Peyton. then lose his job because there was no Peyton.

So now there is collective bonerz over a guy who is 73 and will have no real power or authority AND no consequence for crappy advice as a "consultant". He should stay retired.

sukie
12-24-2015, 06:55 AM
Hmmm. The team he built got to the NFC title game with Kerry Collins at QB in three years from expansion.

Yup awesome bit of work there... 20 years ago.

sukie
12-24-2015, 06:56 AM
Tony Dungey HC. Then Tony picks his staff.

Dungy is too soft a temperament. Not sure without an elite QB he's a winner as HC.

Victor7
12-24-2015, 07:02 AM
Mike Rodak's twitter said that he's been very critical of Whaley!

This is the end for that mofo thank god.

Historian
12-24-2015, 07:04 AM
I don't think Dungy leaves the booth in all honesty. He consults for the league,and is very involved in his church.

Polian?

Mixed emotions.

Maybe after the Levy/Jauron experiment, but there are too many factors in play right now.

Night Train
12-24-2015, 07:09 AM
His "OL is aging" comment shows he doesn't know this roster at all. They could pay me 1/20th the $ for the same "knowledge". Not impressed. Bring in a young GM who is current with the NFL personnel.

The issue more than anything is the bad schemes. That falls on the coach.

mdcas22
12-24-2015, 07:15 AM
“You can win with Tyrod if the other pieces are good,” Polian said. “If there are six or seven Pro Bowlers at other positions, you can win with Tyrod. But he’s not the quarterback of the future. He’s not Jim Kelly, and, although he doesn’t have the same track record, he’s probably comparable to Frank Reich. But he’s not 6-feet-4 like Frank Reich. He’s small and he’s going to get hurt, and he did.

I think you miss read something because he tells us plan and simple that he thinks TT isn't the answer, he is saying that its a no brainer that the Bills need to go after a franchise guy or draft until they find the guy.

swiper
12-24-2015, 07:20 AM
He's just an old retired loose cannon at this point. Polian is poison. Stay away. Stop trying to live off of the glory days that almost were.

trapezeus
12-24-2015, 08:01 AM
qb wise, I think the bills are in the best spot they've been in years. they have a game manager now. and they have him under contract for 1-2 years. This gives him a chance to prove he is more than a game manager. the bills are also talented enough, that investing in a high pick on qb is smart.
if TT doesn't pan out, you have a high pedigree guy learning from bench. this is literally the grooming that should happen that we never do.

we also don't have a back up that people love. so we don't have to pretend the back up is giving TT a run for his money. One of the issues the bills have had when they had JP, trent, fitz, and EJ, they refused to add higher level talent. in some way they wanted their starter to win and didn't want him pushed. I say, "screw that". The old way hasn't worked. give TT the starter reps and prove that he can make the next step of having a faster release/decision making. Even if he has this exact same year, he can stay the starter and the team will know that long term they will be moving on to who they drafted. there will be achance to survive a season without the long term answer and groom a guy at the sametime

cookie G
12-24-2015, 09:41 AM
Wonder who I'd rather have advising me on football decisions for my new franchise...

A HOF general manager..or Russ "I want to build a metric dept because I saw it in a movie" Brandon.

Sheesh...if Rex does go, I can envision Russ wanting to bring in Denzel Washington as the new HC, because of the stellar job he did with the Titans.

sukie
12-24-2015, 09:47 AM
Let's see... do I want someone advising me on my job that has no stake in outcomes? Someone that did my job really well 20 years ago and is 73 now with no idea about new technology? ( I work in cancer therapy) I don't think that is a good idea.

Hey Polian... You are either "in" making decisions or you are out. No putting your wrinkled to in the pool... Jump in or put a robe on and leave.

cookie G
12-24-2015, 10:20 AM
Let's see... do I want someone advising me on my job that has no stake in outcomes? Someone that did my job really well 20 years ago and is 73 now with no idea about new technology? ( I work in cancer therapy) I don't think that is a good idea.

Hey Polian... You are either "in" making decisions or you are out. No putting your wrinkled to in the pool... Jump in or put a robe on and leave.

Look at what the Jets did last year with Charley Casserly and Ron Wolf as consultants.

They were brought in 1) for their expertise and experience and 2) to provide a 3rd party objective opinion.

Im quite sure Woody Johnson asked them to evaluate the Jets current situation and provide an opinion on whether Rex and/or John Izdick should be retained or let go. Once that was determined, they both assisted in the new coaching and GM search.

There are a number of questions I'd be asking Polian to look into..well beyond player personnel questions. many of these questions should have been asked last year, before he was hired.

-Why exactly were the Jets in a state of dysfunction during Rex's last 4 years in NY. Are we looking at a repeat?
-has Rex lost the locker room? And if so, is it possible to get it back?
-When Rex went through 2 GMs in his final 3 years with the Jets, what did he contribute to their demise? If we let Whaley go, are we looking at a repeat?
-If Rex stays, are we looking at a roster rebuild? If so, why is it needed, and will the same thing occur if we hire a new coach?
-Economically, if we let him go, we'll be paying him $20 million + ... if we can turn this around with a new HC, is it possible to minimize this loss with a successful franchise?
-Is the EJ Manuel draft choice or the Sammy Watkins trade (if he didn't like it) fatal to the evaluation of Whaley?
-What have his drafts looked like as a whole, and can any mistakes made in drafting tendencies be corrected?

These are areas I'd explore before getting into anything about roster moves.

And new technology? Huh? Should he be advising him on whether coaches switch to tablets or stay with laminated play cards?

YardRat
12-24-2015, 10:30 AM
Love Polian for what he did for the franchise 25 years ago, but his ship has sailed.

justasportsfan
12-24-2015, 11:51 AM
Love Polian for what he did for the franchise 25 years ago, but his ship has sailed.
Shut your mouth. If there's a chance that Rex could be gone sooner than later with Polian, then I'll take him just for that

Turf
12-24-2015, 12:03 PM

“I remember asking one of the Jets’ coaches during the offseason, ‘How in God’s name can you put Jimmy Leonhard on the field?’ He said, ‘No one else can translate the defense, no one else can get everybody lined up.’”

This is when I officially gave up on Rex and closed the door. Any "elite" coach that's this dysfunctional is not a good coach at all, and quite frankly, a hopeless investment.

pmoon6
12-24-2015, 01:28 PM
Dungy is too soft a temperament. Not sure without an elite QB he's a winner as HC.He built the defense in Tampa that won a Super Bowl and he won one in Indy. We have never hired or had a Super Bowl Winner....ever.

You see how many Super Peyton has won in Denver, complete with a choke job against Seattle.

pmoon6
12-24-2015, 01:30 PM
I don't think Dungy leaves the booth in all honesty. He consults for the league,and is very involved in his church.

Polian?

Mixed emotions.

Maybe after the Levy/Jauron experiment, but there are too many factors in play right now.Well, we ARE playing Fantasy Football here, correct?

pmoon6
12-24-2015, 01:32 PM
Yup awesome bit of work there... 20 years ago.So ****ing what. He's done it with 3 different franchises. Are there other pieces to the puzzle, sure, but don't give me that "game has passed him by" crap. He still can see, therefore evaluate talent and that doesn't ****ing change.

Mace
12-24-2015, 04:07 PM

Well if that's not the pisspot calling the kettle black in coming from someone stuck in either 1992 or 2007. True, he has that one ring for his 13 years of full seasons from Peyton Manning in his prime though.

Mace
12-24-2015, 04:36 PM
Yanno, we aren't talking about Polian being GM, we're talking about him helping build an efficient football organization though. He doesn't want to be GM, he's willing to be consultant. Anything whatever the guy says has to be better than Pegula is currently getting, probably from Brandon.

pmoon6
12-24-2015, 04:38 PM
Well if that's not the pisspot calling the kettle black in coming from someone stuck in either 1992 or 2007. True, he has that one ring for his 13 years of full seasons from Peyton Manning in his prime though.Again, so what? Polian put together teams that competed every year at a high level. It doesn't matter who the QB was or how many Super Bowls.

I think what Wagoncircler is trying to say is that you have your head shoved up your ass.

Mace
12-24-2015, 04:45 PM
Again, so what? Polian put together teams that competed every year at a high level. It doesn't matter who the QB was or how many Super Bowls.

I think what Wagoncircler is trying to say is that you have your head shoved up your ass.

Like I really care that anyone with their head shoved up their ass thinks mine is.

I'm in favor of Polian as a consultant, pay attention, yeah ?

SpikedLemonade
12-24-2015, 05:15 PM
Moonie is going to get lumps of coal in his Christmas stocking.

pmoon6
12-24-2015, 05:37 PM
Moonie is going to get lumps of coal in his Christmas stocking.

I'll get lumps of something, but probably not coal.

sukie
12-24-2015, 09:10 PM
Well if that's not the pisspot calling the kettle black in coming from someone stuck in either 1992 or 2007. True, he has that one ring for his 13 years of full seasons from Peyton Manning in his prime though.
I agree.

lets go a bit further. He built a Super Bowl contender prior to free agency in Buffalo. Missed a win by 3 feet then got pounded the next three years. A tweak at least after loss #2.

What at he did was awesome in Carolina. Indy? It was a house of cards supported by Manning that crumbled to 0-11 start when Peyton went down... Then fired

sukie
12-24-2015, 09:15 PM
What does a consultant do? If advice is taken and that advice blows who gets the blame? The GM. Who cares the least about the outcome SO. THE CONSULTANT that gets paid for consulting... Win or lose. Why castrate the GM like that? Where on the food chain would polian be? Below coach but ahead of the guy choosing the stadium give always for the first 10000 in through the gates?

A needless distraction

DynaPaul
12-25-2015, 07:33 AM
Sounds like a good deal and I agree with Bill. We have enough toys on offense so we need a rock solid O-line to make them all work.

mdcas22
12-25-2015, 07:54 AM
If Polion is hired Rex is history after 1 year, this team is in great shape and only needs tweaking at certain positions, we now have a decent QB who we can rely on to not turn the ball over and win some games so looking for that franchise guy will be a lot easier. we need a stud or 2 linebackers a WR to go with Sammy and Woods and we need a center and left tackle. we get a great center move Glenn to right tackle and our o-line becomes dominate. Glenn has been no more than average and Erick as much as I like the guy isn't as good as Andy L and we all no how good he was now after playing for others. Rex needs to go, you don't take a talented team and dismantle it to your liking because you only no how to run 1 system. a truly Superbowl coach would adjust to his talent not vise versa. I think Bill P would be a great over seer and keep Whaley as the GM. that kind of stuff happens all the time and besides its not like Doug will be sot after by the entire league so what options would he have? Getting back to TT I think we finaly have 1/2 the QB position fixed because he is a great backup just as Bill said. I got flamed on other boards for saying TT is nothing more than a good back up so lets see now after a hall of fame guy with numerous championship rings says it just how bad he is or is too old stuff like that.

sudzy
12-25-2015, 08:08 AM
He should have came last year. This team was at a crossroad, they had to pick a direction. They spent a lot of money heading "South by South Rex". Will they eat the money and turn around or continue wandering off into the desert? To have Polian leave us high and dry, then volunteer to help us after we waste time and money, pisses me off.

WagonCircler
12-25-2015, 08:34 AM

Years may pass, but pmoon always understands me.

Merry Christmas, brother.

SpikedLemonade
12-25-2015, 08:52 AM
If Polion is hired Rex is history after 1 year, this team is in great shape and only needs tweaking at certain positions, we now have a decent QB who we can rely on to not turn the ball over and win some games so looking for that franchise guy will be a lot easier. we need a stud or 2 linebackers a WR to go with Sammy and Woods and we need a center and left tackle. we get a great center move Glenn to right tackle and our o-line becomes dominate. Glenn has been no more than average and Erick as much as I like the guy isn't as good as Andy L and we all no how good he was now after playing for others. Rex needs to go, you don't take a talented team and dismantle it to your liking because you only no how to run 1 system. a truly Superbowl coach would adjust to his talent not vise versa. I think Bill P would be a great over seer and keep Whaley as the GM. that kind of stuff happens all the time and besides its not like Doug will be sot after by the entire league so what options would he have? Getting back to TT I think we finaly have 1/2 the QB position fixed because he is a great backup just as Bill said. I got flamed on other boards for saying TT is nothing more than a good back up so lets see now after a hall of fame guy with numerous championship rings says it just how bad he is or is too old stuff like that.

Glenn is a FA and in no way will accept a move to the lower paying position of RT.

If he is not paid as a LT by the Bills, he is gone and someone else will pay him as a LT.

I agree that Eric Wood is a below average C and overpaid based on his performance. Everyone wants to like the guy but he is just not that good.

This OL may need a starting LT, C and RT next year. That assumes we resign an aging Incognito and that Miller is not a bust.

YardRat
12-25-2015, 09:00 AM
Shut your mouth. If there's a chance that Rex could be gone sooner than later with Polian, then I'll take him just for that

OK I can be on board for that.

Pegula - "You're hired"
Polian - "You should fire Wrecks"
Pegula - "Done. Anything else?"
Polian - "Nope. Just my check"
Pegula - "Here it is. Pleasure doing business with you"

Yeah, that would work for me.

Mace
12-25-2015, 01:32 PM
What does a consultant do? If advice is taken and that advice blows who gets the blame? The GM. Who cares the least about the outcome SO. THE CONSULTANT that gets paid for consulting... Win or lose. Why castrate the GM like that? Where on the food chain would polian be? Below coach but ahead of the guy choosing the stadium give always for the first 10000 in through the gates?

A needless distraction

Hopefully a consultant would remodel the way the organization functions for football purposes, and I have no reservations about Polian knowing how an organization should run.

Let's face it, someone has Pegulas ear. Brandon ? Not a good football man. Overdorf ? Cap and contract guy, not a good football voice. Whaley and/or Ryan ? Well Whaley Manueled, fumbled the o-line and stocked a running team with passing weapons, don't think he and Ryan are on the same page. Ryan ? I don't think he does anything well besides talk.

If it fails at least it fails because a good football/process guy gave some solid input as opposed to not good football guys having solid input and doing no better. I don't like Polian as a GM figure, and Polian doesn't want to be anyway. But in terms of building an organization, absolutely.

Strongman
12-25-2015, 04:38 PM
If anyone gets a chance to read it, Polian's book is a good read. He's probably forgotten more than the entire Bills front office knows.

The BN article sounds like it is letting Pegula know that Whaley and Wrecks have both done some things that have hurt the franchise.

stuckincincy
12-25-2015, 08:38 PM
I'd hire him to stand on the sidelines toting a wiffle bat and a clock with a face that indicates 40 seconds.

His job would be to whack Ryan into action when he does things like letting the clock run down inside 2 minutes when they have the ball when they need to score, or remind him to chew up the clock when they have a lead, or when its' inches to go for a 1st down, to hurry up and snap the ball for a sneak or a quick run play before the defense gets set.

pmoon6
12-26-2015, 02:32 PM
Years may pass, but pmoon always understands me.

Merry Christmas, brother.

Merry Christmas to my favorite Bills poster.

We might not always agree, but I enjoy your takes immensely.

Ginger Vitis
12-26-2015, 03:39 PM
I read on BB.com the other day... The final drive of Super Bowl 25 with 50 seconds left Jim Kelly saw Bill Polian running down the sideline frantically signalling for a timeout which Jim asked for the timeout and it was the last timeout they had... It turns out Erik Howard had taken off his helmet and was walking to the Giants sideline because he was hurt.. Under those circumstances the clock should have stopped and the Giants would have been assessed a timeout but they weren't because Jim Kelly had called for a timeout.. Apparently the Bills brass never forgave Polian for that and that was one incident in many that lead to his firing... Whether or no there is any truth to that story first time in 25 years I had heard about that story

Mace
12-26-2015, 03:45 PM
I read on BB.com the other day... The final drive of Super Bowl 25 with 50 seconds left Jim Kelly saw Bill Polian running down the sideline frantically signalling for a timeout which Jim asked for the timeout and it was the last timeout they had... It turns out Erik Howard had taken off his helmet and was walking to the Giants sideline because he was hurt.. Under those circumstances the clock should have stopped and the Giants would have been assessed a timeout but they weren't because Jim Kelly had called for a timeout.. Apparently the Bills brass never forgave Polian for that and that was one incident in many that lead to his firing... Whether or no there is any truth to that story first time in 25 years I had heard about that story

All in all though I guess it's better than the chaplain telling you not to challenge a call.

Ginger Vitis
12-26-2015, 03:59 PM
All in all though I guess it's better than the chaplain telling you not to challenge a call.

Lol ive looked at it a couple of times and Howard clearly takes his helmet off and starts walking towards the sidelines just before Kelly signals for the timeout the problem was Kelly had his back to Howard and wasn't aware of what Howard was doing.. I don't understand after everything that happened in that game why such a grudge would be held against Polian if anything Marv Levy is to blame for not having another timeout in that drive.

Mace
12-26-2015, 04:56 PM
Lol ive looked at it a couple of times and Howard clearly takes his helmet off and starts walking towards the sidelines just before Kelly signals for the timeout the problem was Kelly had his back to Howard and wasn't aware of what Howard was doing.. I don't understand after everything that happened in that game why such a grudge would be held against Polian if anything Marv Levy is to blame for not having another timeout in that drive.

I've never believed Polian really did more than wear out his welcome and want new worlds to conquer in a new salary cap age. If anyone still remembers back then he was getting awful cranky and restive, itchy, he wanted to move along. He's sort of hinted at that through the years but most people ignore it. Levy was the best coach we ever had who didn't do much but get upset at appropriate motivating moments and leave most things to his excellent staff. Those Bills were just never focused enough at the right moments in time and no blaming anyone for it anymore because it was the time of our lives if you experienced it.

I really do think I remember that play and a couple other dumb things that happened in the last minutes, but I've spent years trying to forget them.

I used to blame people for what happened, but now I'm just delighted I was there to enjoy the rides as they lasted, and just figure that's life.

It's really more fun remembering being so close than why it didn't happen by now in my life.

Ginger Vitis
12-26-2015, 05:11 PM
I really do think I remember that play and a couple other dumb things that happened in the last minutes, but I've spent years trying to forget them.

I watched the recent ESPN 30 for 30 "Four Falls of Buffalo" and for some ****ed up reason I have been dissecting what happened in Super Bowl 25. Up until recently I noticed on Thurmans last run of the game the last play before the FG attempt.. Thurman takes the handoff and bounces it outside at the 40 and ends up being tackled at the 30... If Al Edwards holds his block a little longer on the giant defender who tackles Thurman the tackle is not made and it looks like Thurman could have ran for at least another 10 yards before likely being pushed out of bounds... Chuck Dickerson aka the Coach said along time ago he refuses to watch any footage of that game and never would why I torture myself 25 years later I dont know

Mace
12-26-2015, 06:22 PM
Has nothing to do with Polian, but the biggest thing I remember, and still strikes me as most peculiar, watching some of the games on and off as I type this, is how the Bills always got there dictating their own game which they excelled at, and suddenly tried playing and being better be better at their opponents game with some lazy meandering before it didn't work. When it came down to playing their own game, they always did it well, just mostly too late or already buried. Until then they looked like they were trying to be the other team better than the other team was.

Mace
12-26-2015, 06:27 PM
Watching the Giants game, sure is damn good seeing those guys in their day.

Mace
12-26-2015, 06:32 PM
Heh, I don't know if anyone noticed, looks to me the Bills were using some 46 from their 3-4.

Ginger Vitis
12-26-2015, 06:53 PM
Watching the Giants game, sure is damn good seeing those guys in their day.

Except Andre Reed...He dropped 2 catchable balls in the 1st half... And Jim Kelly when up 12-3 on 2nd down with 8 minutes leftin the 2nd quarter missed a wide open Keith McKellar that would have given the Bills a 1st down at their 40 yard line.. Another missed pass on 3rd down and the Bills punt and the giants go 3 and out and the Giants punt it back to Buffalos 15... Thurman runs for 18 yards..Then runs for 4 yards.. Then Thurman catches a screen pass runs 10 yards.. Then Thurman catches another pass for yards 8 yards.. On 2nd and 2 Jim throws deep into double coverage.. Why? Terribly underthrown ball.. On 3rd and 2 short pass to Andre loses a yard... Why not keeping running Thurman on 2nd and 3rd down instead of throwing it? I hate the playcalling here and that drive sputtering is what turned the momentum in that game somewhat... And earlier in the game the 61 yard completion to James Lofton Jim underthrows the ball the defender tips it and Lofton has to slow down to catch he tipped ball... If Jim makes a better throw Lofton gets the TD instead they end up kicking a FG.. Jim was far from sharp in this game

Ginger Vitis
12-26-2015, 07:18 PM
Everyone remembers the Mark Ingram 3 and 14 "break 5 tackles" and convert the 1st down on the opening drive of the 2nd half that lead to a TD putting the Giants up 17-12.. earlier in the drive it's 3rd and 8 Giants have the ball on there 27 yard line Meggett catches the ball at the 30 and breaks 2 tackles to run to the 37 yard line and get the 1st down... Just sickening to watch

Mark Kelso was brutal in this game

pmoon6
12-27-2015, 02:44 AM
Hahaha. Polian was fired for one reason and one reason only. He called out Ralphs daughter because she interfered in the handling of the team. A scout, no matter who she is related to, has no business doing that.

coastal
12-27-2015, 04:00 AM
Linda Bogdan... fat

swiper
12-27-2015, 04:16 AM
Right up spiked's alley.

pmoon6
12-27-2015, 05:46 AM
I see this thread has devolved into "woulda, shoulda, coulda".

Here's another one. if Frank Reich didn't put the laces to Norwood he might have made the kick.....or if the hare wouldn't have stopped to take a ****, he would have beat the tortoise.

Mace
12-27-2015, 12:10 PM
or if the hare wouldn't have stopped to take a ****, he would have beat the tortoise.

Yeah. I admit I didn't see that one coming and lost a lot of money when I bet on the hare that year.

DynaPaul
01-01-2016, 08:12 AM
God, I can't listen to you guys talk about this. Exactly why I didn't watched the ESPN "30 on 30." How many times in my life do I have to see Wide Right?

Ginger Vitis
01-01-2016, 08:41 AM
God, I can't listen to you guys talk about this. Exactly why I didn't watched the ESPN "30 on 30." How many times in my life do I have to see Wide Right?

Kenneth Davis has a interesting and off the wall theory as to why Scott Norwood missed the kick.... I learned a few things watching that documentary I haven't heard of before