PDA

View Full Version : Zero percent chance Whaley gets fired.

BertSquirtgum
12-25-2015, 01:56 AM
Unfortunately, sounds like there's a zero percent chance the big dummy gets fired too.

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/sports/football/nfl/bills/2015/12/23/maiorana-firing-whaley-would-solve-nothing/77798362/

ORCHARD PARK — Not only does Doug Whaley not deserve to be fired as general manager of the Buffalo Bills, there’s really no basis for Terry and Kim Pegula to even consider it.

There, I said it, just like I said a few weeks ago that it was utterly ridiculous for fans to ask for coach Rex Ryan to be fired. Many of you disagree on both issues, and that’s fine, but handing either man a pink slip when this 16th consecutive year of playoff-less football in Buffalo is complete simply makes no sense.

This has nothing to do with the fact that it’s the Christmas season and I might happen to be in a good mood. I haven’t gone soft (except around the waistline), nor have I been numbed (at least not yet) by the perpetual disappointment the Bills provide their loyal and tortured fans.

Whaley should not be fired — and I’m told by a source that there’s “zero percent chance” that’s happening — for the simple reason that, by and large, this is a better roster than the one he inherited from Buddy Nix following the 2013 draft.

Obviously it’s not a great team because once again, unfathomably, the Bills won’t participate in the postseason, a drought that is now tied for the eighth-longest in NFL history. However, I fail to see what canning Whaley would accomplish. As I pointed out a couple weeks ago when I went to bat for Ryan, constant upheaval in the front office and coaching staff has done nothing for the Bills during this epoch of futility. Why do it yet again?

ROCHESTER DEMOCRAT AND CHRONICLE
Mario Williams again questions Bills' scheme

This franchise needs to stop hitting the reset button and stay the course. God rest his soul, but the late owner Ralph Wilson never seemed to understand this. I believe the Pegulas do.

Whaley has been with the organization since 2010, brought in to serve as Nix’s assistant GM as well as run the pro personnel department following a 10-year tenure in the Steelers scouting department during which he earned a Super Bowl ring in 2008.

He officially took over for Nix in May 2013, but it’s widely believed that he was performing GM duties before that because the team had been transitioning from Nix to Whaley throughout that offseason.

There is debate over who actually had the final say on the drafting of EJ Manuel in the first round that year. I contend that while it was Nix’s job title at the time, Whaley was knee-deep in the evaluation of Manuel and he’s just as responsible for that colossal swing and miss.

So, he didn’t get off to a great start, and that pick haunts the Bills three years later. But that draft also brought wide receiver Robert Woods and linebacker Kiko Alonso. Woods has been a solid No. 2 target, and Alonso, after a fine rookie season and a lost second year to injury, was traded by Whaley in 2015 for running back LeSean McCoy. I’d give a positive check mark to Whaley for that.

Also in 2013, Whaley brought in free agents Dan Carpenter, Manny Lawson, Corbin Bryant and Nickell Robey, and he traded Kelvin Sheppard for defensive end Jerry Hughes. Pretty good work there, too.

It was a mixed bag in 2014. He pulled the trigger on the Sammy Watkins trade. I didn’t like it at the time, and still don’t because the price was too high; first-round picks should never be traded. But, no one can deny that Watkins is a supreme talent, and if the Bills ever figure this out, and the quarterback starts throwing him the ball more frequently, Watkins will be a big star for this team.

Draft picks Seantrel Henderson and Preston Brown have been full-time two-year starters, though neither has played well this season, so the bloom has worn off a bit after promising rookie seasons. Whaley also brought in a nice haul of free agents including Bacarri Rambo, Colton Schmidt, Jordan Gay, Brandon Spikes, Corey Graham and yes, Kyle Orton (who was undoubtedly better than Manuel in 2014, though that isn’t saying much).

Whaley also had some misses in 2014. Second-round pick Cyrus Kouandjio has been a bust, the Bryce Brown trade cost Buffalo a fourth-round pick for no production, and the free agent signings of Chris Williams, Mike Williams, Kevin Kolb, and Keith Rivers, were useless, though injuries were the prime reason with the exception of Mike Williams.

On to 2015 where Whaley drafted Ronald Darby, John Miller, and Karlos Williams, all of whom have been contributors as rookies, though Miller has struggled all season. Whaley also acquired McCoy and signed Tyrod Taylor, Richie Incognito and Charles Clay, which clearly upgraded all those positions, and he got Hughes to re-sign before he could test free agency.

The Percy Harvin experiment failed, Jerome Felton has not impressed, and Denarius Moore was a disaster. As for acquiring Matt Cassel, a mistake, yes, but at least Whaley got back a fifth-round pick from Dallas, which is better than nothing.

My argument to retain Whaley would be altered if reports of his inability to get along with head coaches were true, but I have learned that isn’t the case.

Whaley and Doug Marrone had disagreements like any GM and coach would, but that wasn’t why Marrone opted out of his contract and took his $4 million golden parachute. No one but Marrone knows the true story, but it wasn’t because he couldn’t work with Whaley.

There have also been rumblings that Whaley doesn’t get along with Ryan. I’m told they are “completely in lock step” on personnel matters. Again, that flies contrary to much of what you’ve heard and read, but unless I or anyone in my profession can impersonate a fly on the wall, learning the undisputable truth is difficult.

There are several reasons why the Bills skidded off the road this year, not the least of which was that Ryan did not do a good job adapting to his new team’s personnel, especially on defense; several players underperformed; and the Bills, despite Taylor’s occasional flashes of wow, still do not have a franchise quarterback. That isn’t to say Taylor can’t get there, but in 2015, he wasn’t anywhere close.

Whaley shares some blame in all of this; of course he does. But if I’m Terry Pegula, I’d spend the winter going to Sabres games and leave my football guys alone to do their jobs rather than blow things up. Again.

MAIORANA@Gannett.com

SpikedLemonade
12-25-2015, 03:34 AM
Whatever.

sudzy
12-25-2015, 04:15 AM
Whatever.

Yeah, that's where I am at.

sdbillsfan2
12-25-2015, 07:25 AM
Sounds like one mans opinion. And you know what they say about opinions. Every one has one of those too.

DynaPaul
12-25-2015, 07:32 AM
I still like Whaley. Yeah he whiffed epically on Manuel but overall he's really helped the roster.

YardRat
12-25-2015, 08:31 AM
In the past I've generally supported Whaley, and I believe the roster right now is a lot better than a few seasons ago, but---

1)If the roster factoid isn't a damning indictment of Wrecks' ability, it should be.
2)I've never liked his 'I buy the groceries' attitude.
3)The past 12 months of acquisitions/contracts/roster shuffling/whatever role Doug had in Wryan's hire has raised some serious red flags about his overall abilities.

sdbillsfan2
12-25-2015, 09:49 AM
I really cant follow Whaleys logic. First drafting EJ , then coming back the next year and over paying for a wide reviever when you didnt have a qualified Qb to throw to him .
When Whaley first came here the oline was a weakness. He brought in fresh faces but its still a weakness.
But the biggest thing for me is why even sit down with Rex Ryan and nodding yea to the Pegulas that he was the guy.
Never made sense to bring in a guy with a defensive background when its the offense that needed the most help.
Lastly I really dont think hes well liked behind the scences.
Last yr it was he and Marrone going at it and this year reports that he and Ryan aren't on the same page. Also it really seemed odd that Freddie J would flat out call him a liar in public without it being true. Yeah there was some bitterness being cut ....but Freddy rarely threw anyone under the bus.

Strongman
12-25-2015, 09:52 AM
In the past I've generally supported Whaley, and I believe the roster right now is a lot better than a few seasons ago, but---

1)If the roster factoid isn't a damning indictment of Wrecks' ability, it should be.
2)I've never liked his 'I buy the groceries' attitude.
3)The past 12 months of acquisitions/contracts/roster shuffling/whatever role Doug had in Wryan's hire has raised some serious red flags about his overall abilities.

Not that I'm a Whaley fan, but I think it was Brandon that most influenced Pegs for the hire. See the last few seconds in this video.

http://www.buffalobills.com/video/videos/Terry-Pegula-on-Why-Rex-Ryan-is-the-Guy/3bd294bd-bcbb-496e-a53e-230badb43bd6

I was optimistic on Wrecks at first (mostly because he seemed different than the HC the Bill's have hired during our drought), but seeing him destroy this team really opened my eyes.

sdbillsfan2
12-25-2015, 10:12 AM
Its sounded like Whaley was asking all the questions. ( that put Terry to sleep ).

Strongman
12-25-2015, 10:22 AM
Its sounded like Whaley was asking all the questions. ( that put Terry to sleep ).

Yeah... that too. The Whaley/Brandon brain trust seems to be a bad one.

YardRat
12-25-2015, 11:35 AM
I'm liking how quickly 'Wrecks' is catching on.

Mace
12-25-2015, 01:39 PM
Whatever, this season just needs to be over now. Maybe something all of a sudden gets better by next year because of something. For now it just aggravates me too much to see it clearly.

swiper
12-26-2015, 06:18 AM
They make it as hard as possible to root for this team.

We used to joke that at least they had a good punter that we could root for. Now they don't even have that.

Who's the long snapper again?

IlluminatusUIUC
12-26-2015, 08:30 AM
Generally I like Whaley's approach to the start positions. He's kept talent here that would have often walked in previous years, he has at least attempted to improve the offensive line , and he's worked the trade market as well as anyone in the league.

But his back of the roster moves can feel so bizarre. Denarious Moore? Thigpen? Trade for Cassel - Cut Cassel - Sign Cassel - Trade Cassel again? We went through how many back up halfbacks this year?

Mace
12-26-2015, 02:25 PM
I can see where people say he's gained some good talent. But I still think Whaley has overpayed for unsuitable talent and is too married to his picks.

He got a Watkins in a misguided belief Manuel was the Man for a passing offense. He fumbled the o-line in 3 huge places. He loaded up on pricey passing weapons for a not-gunslinging passing offense, at the same time loading up on run offense weapons. Oh he loaded up plenty almost for the sake of it and spent a lot doing it.

Say for the moment, he'd have been more selective, he could have added a lot more foundation instead of expensive extras but for all his scouting and pro personnel background, he misjudged the forest for the trees.

No matter what I think though, what it will come down to, is can he subjugate his fixation on spending for shiny things to actually supply the largely lost Ryan with the not shiny foundation guys to actually give this a shot of working. You just can't have a team of superstars without the down and dirty nuts and bolts foundation guys proving you know how to find them to hold up the foundation.

Accepting he's likely not going anywhere, he needs to find the guys that do the trench work now, and it just looks backwards to me, those are supposed to be the guys you find first and build layers on top of them, imho.

colin
12-27-2015, 06:26 AM
If ej didn't dump in his own pants vs jax, and our d caught those floating picks vs kc we'd be in the driver's seat for the playoffs right now. I agree our d has been disgusting, but even with some bad injuries we are a couple of plays away, so it makes no makes no sense to blow it up right now.

We have rex and co (maybe less the DC) for at least one more season, and two+ I'd bet.

Turf
12-27-2015, 08:59 AM
I think there a 20% chance he gets fired, like I could prove it it. But let's face it, this coaching staff ruined this year, not Whaley.

EDS
12-27-2015, 09:00 AM
It is easy to improve the "talent" on a bottom feeding team when you have high draft picks and lots of cap space.

It is much more difficult to hire a good coach, develop a comprehensive and unified team building philosophy and actually win games.

To me Whaley has failed those last three elements.

Turf
12-27-2015, 09:45 AM
Yeah but who hired the coach, the Pegulas or Whaley?

BertSquirtgum
12-27-2015, 11:18 AM
The Pegulas and Russ Brandon hired wrecks.

Mace
12-27-2015, 12:19 PM
The Pegulas and Russ Brandon hired wrecks.

Yeah, I've finally accepted the hiring came from a witless overeager marketing guy pretending to be a Mr. Football with the new bosses.

Mr. Cynical
12-27-2015, 02:02 PM
We're f#*&^.

The Buffalo Bills are on the clock. A phrase that has become our warcry for 16 years and counting.

coastal
12-27-2015, 02:17 PM
We're f#*&^.

The Buffalo Bills are on the clock. A phrase that has become our warcry for 16 years and counting.its beyond pitiful

SpikedLemonade
12-27-2015, 02:24 PM
I am just happy I can go to a game or two every year and bring my own booze and food into the parking lot at a fraction of what it would cost to pay for food and booze if the game was in Toronto.

I love Cellino & Barnes and Fancy Smantcy Cheese.

coastal
12-27-2015, 02:28 PM
lol

sudzy
12-27-2015, 02:34 PM
We're f#*&^.

The Buffalo Bills are on the clock. A phrase that has become our warcry for 16 years and counting.

I'm starting to think about the day I will buy the playoff drought it's first beer.

Mace
12-27-2015, 02:57 PM
I am just happy I can go to a game or two every year and bring my own booze and food into the parking lot at a fraction of what it would cost to pay for food and booze if the game was in Toronto.

I love Cellino & Barnes and Fancy Smantcy Cheese.

Always go for Barnes, he's meaner for having gone balding younger, but more reliable for having found the legal system to vent it.