PDA

View Full Version : How Would You Fix The NFL's Biggest Problem of Officiating?

BillsImpossible
12-27-2015, 10:42 AM
1. Take the NFL rule book and shred it. They might have to based on the way most college teams are playing the game today.

2. Fire every referee and let them reapply for the job if they want to quit their current career for a full time gig in the NFL.

3. Hire full-time refs that go to work 5 days a week and do nothing but study the new rules, watch film based on those rules, and officiate professional football games for a living.

4. Give referees wireless tablets so they can see the same thing we all see on TV in less than 30 seconds after a play happens.

5. Put a chip in the football, just like every NFL player's shoulder pads currently have and are used for "Next Gen," stats.

6. Embed cameras in all 8 end zone pylons.

7. Go Bills.

I had to do something for the last 40 minutes besides...

Novacane
12-27-2015, 10:44 AM
Firing squad!

stuckincincy
12-27-2015, 10:46 AM
1. Take the NFL rule book and shred it. They might have to based on the way most college teams are playing the game today.

2. Fire every referee and let them reapply for the job if they want to quit their current career for a full time gig in the NFL.

3. Hire full-time refs that go to work 5 days a week and do nothing but study the new rules, watch film based on those rules, and officiate professional football games for a living.

4. Give referees wireless tablets so they can see the same thing we all see on TV in less than 30 seconds after a play happens.

5. Put a chip in the football, just like every NFL player's shoulder pads currently have and are used for "Next Gen," stats.

6. Embed cameras in all 8 end zone pylons.

7. Go Bills.

I had to do something for the last 40 minutes besides...

8. Turn them over to one of those fantasy betting sites.

SpikedLemonade
12-27-2015, 12:32 PM
I would only hire officials of Polish ancestry. Clearly a high IQ gene pool.

Mace
12-27-2015, 12:45 PM
Every bad call, they have to wear another element of a clown costume, starting with the rubber nose.

- - - Updated - - -

I would only hire officials of Polish ancestry. Clearly a high IQ gene pool.

For how much you agree with me it must be. Good eye.

Mr. Pink
12-27-2015, 12:51 PM
Refs should be hired full time, or at least the head of each crew should be full time with actual ramifications for making poor decisions that affect outcomes of games. Not just, oh you suck, you're not working any playoff games.

ckg927
12-27-2015, 02:10 PM
Refs should be hired full time, or at least the head of each crew should be full time with actual ramifications for making poor decisions that affect outcomes of games. Not just, oh you suck, you're not working any playoff games.

Said ramifications being that the more calls you screw up, the better the chance is that you'll be officiating high school football games.

Mace
12-27-2015, 02:59 PM
Beating them with sticks and parading them through rocks and garbage tossing crowds might also tune them up.

YardRat
12-27-2015, 03:19 PM
They are union, so there is nothing the league can do unilaterally.

Although I'm pretty sure Mace's suggestion isn't explicitly restricted under the terms of the current contract.

pmoon6
12-27-2015, 03:23 PM
Beating them with sticks and parading them through rocks and garbage tossing crowds might also tune them up.That's called "The East Side Welcome".

TacklingDummy
12-27-2015, 04:00 PM
Let the coaches get 2 orange challenge penalty calls per game.
That way coaches can challenge a penalty that clearly may not be a penalty.
For example the pass interference call in the Jags game that cost EJ And the Bills a remarkable comeback.

WagonCircler
12-27-2015, 04:08 PM
Full time refs.

Younger refs.

A referee academy.

A full on embrace of technology. Computer chips and GPS in footballs and yard markers. More cameras and video officials with faster and improved communication between them and on-field officials.

Overhead camera drones.

Mace
12-27-2015, 04:11 PM
Overhead camera drones.

Oh this would be great when they fall on peoples heads or sever arteries in New England.

SpikedLemonade
12-27-2015, 04:19 PM
Oh this would be great when they fall on peoples heads or sever arteries in New England.

Or land on one of my suggested Polack referee's heads.

I hope the drone will be alright.

Mr. Cynical
12-27-2015, 04:22 PM
Full time refs.

Younger refs.

A referee academy.

A full on embrace of technology. Computer chips and GPS in footballs and yard markers. More cameras and video officials with faster and improved communication between them and on-field officials.

Overhead camera drones.

Especially the use of tech in the balls and the field. Add sensors in the uni's as well, so it would be clear when their bodies hit the ground, which could be checked against the timestamp/location data in the ball. It'll get there someday for sure.

Mace
12-27-2015, 04:27 PM
Or land on one of my suggested Polack referee's heads.

I hope the drone will be alright.

Write off the drone.

Buffalogic
12-28-2015, 06:24 AM
Give three challenges per team regardless of success/fail. Make everything reviewable. Hire young, former college football players that aren't good enough to play in the NFL as refs.

Victor7
12-28-2015, 09:29 AM
Full time officials. This half time thing is crap. Have them train all year long watching video and doing physical work. The amount of fail is amazing with these guys.

Younger guys too. Some of the worst refs are the ones up there in years. Have consequences for the screw ups. Seems like all they get is told like 5 year olds and that's it.

Penalties should be reviewable. WE would've won that Jax game with that. Well maybe. Rex might've decided it wasn't worthy. Smart man he is.

WagonCircler
12-28-2015, 10:52 AM

So you put them on cables, like the Sunday Night Football camera. Whatever.

Or just stick with the status quo. You're a huge fan of the status quo, Clown. You should just STFU and be a content idiot.

pmoon6
12-28-2015, 04:44 PM
So you put them on cables, like the Sunday Night Football camera. Whatever.

Or just stick with the status quo. You're a huge fan of the status quo, Clown. You should just STFU and be a content idiot.Did you have to say that?

Now we're going to get a page long, cryptic essay on why you're wrong.