X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mahdi
    • Mar 2004

Roman - Stay or Go?

Just wondering what the general consensus is with regards to Roman.

Personally, I would rather see a more traditional OC brought in because I am seeing that Roman's system is way too predictable which is why it stalls so often.

It seems the system only works because of Tyrod's ability to break the pocket and run. Without that its a very easy offense to defend if you're a decent DC or defensive unit. In fact I just don't see where Roman has a real influence on our attack at all. Everything is based on the threat of Tyrod running. Even when he isn't scrambling almost every snap involves the option.

If the idea is to make the playoffs I don't see it happening with this gimmick offense and even if we do make it to the playoffs, when is the last time such a gimmicky offense made it to the SB?

That is not even considering the fact that at some point Tyrod is going to get injured again with all these drive saving runs.

Would rather have a Gary Kubiak type offense that emphasizes boots, moving the pocket and the run game.
    Last edited by Mahdi; 12-29-2015, 07:38 AM.
  • casdhf
    • Jul 2002

Re: Roman - Stay or Go?

You want an offense that uses boots and the run game? Uh .....

He stays. His offense is effective given what we have.
    Originally posted by BillsZone Mod
    cas,

I'm just letting you know that you have been given 2 points for telling Wys AKA Mark to kill himself.

BillsZone Mod

Comment

• Night Train
      Retired - On Several Levels
      • Jul 2005

I understand the thought.. but we keep wanting to blow everything up every year, due to the playoff drought. Year 1 of a QB is a limited playbook. I expected growing pains from the O and felt the team issue was the scheme on the D side. This unit was going to run often and keep throws to a minimum to reduce turnovers, due to an inexperienced QB.

I thought rollouts with simple swing passes to the RB's or TE's were something they could have used. Taylor can do that with his mobility, much like Kap did in San Fran a couple years back. It moves the D back 7 around and keeps them off balance. I'd expect Roman to add a little more to Taylors' playbook next year.

The D needs to improve far more than the O.
      Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• Mahdi
        • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Night Train View Post
        I understand the thought.. but we keep wanting to blow everything up every year, due to the playoff drought. Year 1 of a QB is a limited playbook. I expected growing pains from the O and felt the team issue was the scheme on the D side. This unit was going to run often and keep throws to a minimum to reduce turnovers, due to an inexperienced QB.

I thought rollouts with simple swing passes to the RB's or TE's were something they could have used. Taylor can do that with his mobility, much like Kap did in San Fran a couple years back. It moves the D back 7 around and keeps them off balance. I'd expect Roman to add a little more to Taylors' playbook next year.

The D needs to improve far more than the O.
        Agreed but as in SF, defenses caught on to Roman's offense eventually and its arguable as to who is a better passer between Tyrod and Kap.

I can just see us having serious difficulty next year when the coaches sit Tyrod down and tell him he can run as much and has to start throwing from the pocket with Roman's "Playbook" more like "play sheet."

The offense is too heavily reliant on the option and I highly doubt Tyrod learned enough about being a passer this year to suggest he will grow next year and be able to throw out of more conventional formations and concepts. All his throws are out of option right now and 95% of his completions are on the boundary.

It's a recipe for disaster next year.

Comment

• BidsJr
          • Sep 2002

Stupid
          "Well I drink too much and get punched in the head by fighters for fun, so my memory isn't so great." -OpIv37

Comment

• Mahdi
            • Mar 2004

Originally posted by BidsJr View Post
            Stupid
            Never understood people stopping by a thread, reading, and posting nothing but a one word insult.

It's immature and childish but you're probably a teen or something so it's fine.

One day you'll learn to offer an opinion and use more productive language.

Comment

• justasportsfan
              • Jul 2002

Thats like asking if we should get rid of Donnie Henserson whose unit has been the best since he became db coach.

As far as I'm concerned, not only did Roman do his job, but he also made no.1 in the league inspite of all the injuries.

The passing game has a lot to be desired but IMO, it's on the inexperienced qb who can only read one side of the field and needs to improve throwing in the middle.
              sacrifice1
              https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• Mahdi
                • Mar 2004

Originally posted by justasportsfan View Post
                Thats like asking if we should get rid of Donnie Henserson whose unit has been the best since he became db coach.

As far as I'm concerned, not only did Roman do his job, but he also made no.1 in the league inspite of all the injuries.

The passing game has a lot to be desired but IMO, it's on the inexperienced qb who can only read one side of the field and needs to improve throwing in the middle.
                I get that. I know Roman has managed to get the run game going but you need to be able to throw the football to get to the playoffs.

You blame Tyrod for not being able to read the field but I am putting the blame on Roman for not using more effective playcalling to highlight his QB's strengths and the strengths of Watkins. EVERY team in the league uses WR screens effectively which is something Sammy and Harvin would kill at. We also never just throw it directly to the WR immediately off the snap when DBs are playing 10 yards off coverage. It makes no sense.

Also, even the success he gets credit for for having a good run game is heavily linked to the fact that Tyrod is such a threat to run and is adding 60-70 extra yards on the ground almost every game. That skews the stats. Not to mention the fact that defenses are scared of the backside in case Tyrod keeps it which is opening things up for the RBs.

Either way, at some point this offense will end because Tyrod will get injured again taking so many shots. What will Roman do then?

And this doesn't compare to Donnie Henderson because our DBs have been excellent in terms of the position and being developed. Whereas Roman continues to run a "variety" of 3 plays that has our offense stalling game after game.

Does anyone think we would have won the game yesterday if Romo and Bryant were playing?
                Last edited by Mahdi; 12-29-2015, 08:54 AM.

Comment

• sukie
                  Seriously?
                  • Sep 2012

Kinda hard to call plays for a QB that mostly locks into a receiver... Unless he got better at checking off later in the season.

Comment

• Mahdi
                    • Mar 2004

It's also hard for a QB to be productive as a passer when your OC has you running the same plays over and over.

Having a defense off balance helps a young QB be more productive throwing the ball.

Comment

• sukie
                      Seriously?
                      • Sep 2012

couldn't some of that be on Tyrod though?

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
                        • Sep 2012

If you're asking when the last time an option heavy run first attack made the Super Bowl, I'd point out that it's represented the NFC in the last three. Wilson has improved as a passer with time, but his legs were still important in allowing Lynch some room against stacked boxes or to let his guys get downfield.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Comment

• Mahdi
                          • Mar 2004

Originally posted by IlluminatusUIUC View Post
                          If you're asking when the last time an option heavy run first attack made the Super Bowl, I'd point out that it's represented the NFC in the last three. Wilson has improved as a passer with time, but his legs were still important in allowing Lynch some room against stacked boxes or to let his guys get downfield.
                          I know the Hawks are a run heavy team but Wilson airs it out better than most QBs in the league minus Brady, Manning, Rodgers. As a passer he is in or near top 5 in the league.

His OC (Darrell Bevell) is also running an open playbook with all kinds of concepts and formations that include a lot of traditional formations. Not anything like this college offense Roman runs.

Comment

• Mahdi
                            • Mar 2004

Originally posted by sukie View Post
                            couldn't some of that be on Tyrod though?
                            You think Tyrod can't run play-action roll outs?

WR screens?

How dangerous would Tyrod be running a stretch play - play fake to McCoy then booting out to the backside with Sammy and Clay running a hi-low back across the field?

Comment

• sukie
                              Seriously?
                              • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Mahdi View Post
                              You think Tyrod can't run play-action roll outs?

WR screens?

How dangerous would Tyrod be running a stretch play - play fake to McCoy then booting out to the backside with Sammy and Clay running a hi-low back across the field?
                              Perhaps he is not that good at play action...

Comment

Working...
                              X