PDA

View Full Version : The Top 20 2016 NFL Unrestricted Free Agents

BillsImpossible
12-30-2015, 06:32 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000602379/article/top-20-unrestricted-free-agents-for-2016

Could Rex woo Muhammad Wilkerson from the Jets? Maybe, but the Bills probably couldn't afford to sign him even if they let Mario Williams walk.

Alshon Jeffery would make a damn good #2 WR on the Buffalo Bills.

Eric Berry or Eric Weddle at safety? Signing one of the two could be, should be, and probably will be Doug Whaley's top free agency priority in 2016.

Malik Jackson at DT? Only if the Bills are willing to get very creative with the salary cap and slash and dash half of their roster, which could happen.

Bruce Irvin or Danny Trebathan at LB? Derrick Johnson?

Sign Russell Okung or resign Cordy Glenn?

Number 1 priority should be addressing the safety position.

Wilkerson and Jackson are pipe dreams.

Number 2 priority should be addressing the #2 wide receiver position.

If Doug Whaley signs Berry or Weddle, Alshon Jeffery, and manages to resign Incognito and Glenn, that would be amazing.

Get out your calculators.

The salary cap increased by $10 million. Thank you, NFL.

Letting Mario Williams find deer in other territories would save the Bills an additional $13 million.

Kyle Williams has a $8 million cap hit in 2016 and would save the Bills about $5 million against the cap.

That's $28 million to work with so far, not counting EJ Manuel, and whoever else the Bills decide to let go of in 2016.

It's nice to know that spending up to the cap and stretching its limits is not a problem at One Bills Drive with the Pegula's in charge.

This is going to be a very interesting off season.

YardRat
12-30-2015, 06:43 PM
They shot their wad on offensive weapons this past off-season. Now they need to fix the defense they ****ed up. If they spend any significant money on any offensive position other than oline this year, their issues are more serious than even I think.

X-Era
12-31-2015, 07:01 AM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000602379/article/top-20-unrestricted-free-agents-for-2016

Could Rex woo Muhammad Wilkerson from the Jets? Maybe, but the Bills probably couldn't afford to sign him even if they let Mario Williams walk.

Alshon Jeffery would make a damn good #2 WR on the Buffalo Bills.

Eric Berry or Eric Weddle at safety? Signing one of the two could be, should be, and probably will be Doug Whaley's top free agency priority in 2016.

Malik Jackson at DT? Only if the Bills are willing to get very creative with the salary cap and slash and dash half of their roster, which could happen.

Bruce Irvin or Danny Trebathan at LB? Derrick Johnson?

Sign Russell Okung or resign Cordy Glenn?

Number 1 priority should be addressing the safety position.

Wilkerson and Jackson are pipe dreams.

Number 2 priority should be addressing the #2 wide receiver position.

If Doug Whaley signs Berry or Weddle, Alshon Jeffery, and manages to resign Incognito and Glenn, that would be amazing.

Get out your calculators.

The salary cap increased by $10 million. Thank you, NFL.

Letting Mario Williams find deer in other territories would save the Bills an additional $13 million.

Kyle Williams has a $8 million cap hit in 2016 and would save the Bills about $5 million against the cap.

That's $28 million to work with so far, not counting EJ Manuel, and whoever else the Bills decide to let go of in 2016.

It's nice to know that spending up to the cap and stretching its limits is not a problem at One Bills Drive with the Pegula's in charge.

This is going to be a very interesting off season.

I think Mario (12.9), McKelvin (3.9), Urbik (1.7), and probably Graham (2.6) are gone. Kyle could retire but if he doesn't I think he'll be back. That's 21.1 in savings before Kyle.

I really think you may only see Glenn and Incognito get resigned plus 1 mid level FA get signed. I think they will rely heavily on the draft.

Then, unfortunately, we may only end up with 2 starting rookies. My guess is that the total haul is 1 new DE, 1 new OLB, 1 new SS and then current guys or undrafteds to step up at NT, and ILB.

Personally, I think the team will be weaker roster wise next year than this year if Rex changes the personnel to fit his D.

Buffalogic
12-31-2015, 07:03 AM
Jefferey would be great and his price tag should not be through the roof with his injury concerns.

If we could land Wilk and a Safety, maybe Trevathan from the Broncos we could fortify the rest through the draft.

X-Era
12-31-2015, 07:16 AM
Jefferey would be great and his price tag should not be through the roof with his injury concerns.

If we could land Wilk and a Safety, maybe Trevathan from the Broncos we could fortify the rest through the draft.Releasing Mario pays for Wilk. 12.9 gained, probably 11 in cap spent. However, we still have no money to spend in that scenario.

Glenn and Incognito will probably eat 8+6 = 14 in cap room alone.

The cap may go to 153 and we can roll over the 7.7 we have now. So Spotracs number of -4 with a 150 cap becomes +6.7 in cap room if we roll over 7.7 and the cap goes to 153.... That helps. It may cover Incognitos contract.

But you need room for draftees (probably 6.5 mill) and that doesn't touch re-signing Glenn. That's why we have to release other players. McKelvin, Urbik, and Graham stand out. Kyle is another significant contract. As is the possibility of restructuring Clay from the 13.4 cap hit down to 6 or so.

Point is it will take a lot of change and a lot of work to do much of anything.

sukie
12-31-2015, 08:25 AM
Not interested in FA that much. I have the same interest in the big splash as the NE Patriots FO has. I know they went after Revis a couple back but they don't seem to be the crazy FA movers like everyone in the AFC east... Perhaps there is something to that.

Victor7
12-31-2015, 08:49 AM
Alshon Jeffery would be amazing. Not sure if Da Bears are gonna let him walk though. Cutler was very efficient this seasons. He cut his ints by a mile. I think he has 8 all year long.

Berry or Weddle would also be neat.

Wilkerson would be sweet too but I'm not sure we have the ammo.

ICRockets
12-31-2015, 12:09 PM
Alshon is the #1 in Chicago. He's not going anywhere to play second fiddle. Weddle or Berry are my top target, along with re-signing Glenn and Incognito. If there's a solid RT out there we can sign as a free agent, do it. Otherwise, find your answer there in the draft.

The Jokeman
12-31-2015, 04:19 PM

If we could land Wilk and a Safety, maybe Trevathan from the Broncos we could fortify the rest through the draft.

Guys like Jefferey don't hit the open market. I think he gets the franchise tag by the Bears, assuming they can afford him. We might be able to land a Sanu or Marvin Jones from the Bengals. I'm not sure they're better than what we have already though. I think the Bills might want to look to add another TE to pair with Clay. Names like Fleener and G. Celek could be on the radar to ties to Roman at Stanford/San Francisco and because they'd be marked improvements to what we already have behind Clay could be interesting. If we do pursue a NT there are a few names out there Ngati and Harrison will be linked to us with Baltimore/Jets ties but Terrance Knighton is another true NT that could be had BJ Raji has struggled late in his career but who knows maybe might be worth taking a flier on and maybe we draft a young guy to pair with him.

Ingtar33
12-31-2015, 04:33 PM
5-10 years ago, Berry would have been a great fit for Rex's defense. Right now he can't cover, has no speed and basically is dead-weight in the secondary.

Mace
12-31-2015, 05:12 PM
Start replenishing through the draft, not FA, FA is frosting, the draft is the cake. We need a cake. A big name team just isn't the way to go, we aren't that close imho, do it right, do it with talent from the bottom up that grows together not the top down again. Nail this damn draft.

YardRat
12-31-2015, 05:27 PM
Start replenishing through the draft, not FA, FA is frosting, the draft is the cake. We need a cake. A big name team just isn't the way to go, we aren't that close imho, do it right, do it with talent from the bottom up that grows together not the top down again. Nail this damn draft.

Last year's starting defense=

1 splashy FA (Mario)
1 mid-level FA (Spikes)
1 'garbage for garbage' trade (Hughes)
8 draft picks (Dareus, KW, Bradham, Brown, McKelvin, Gilmore, AW, Searcy)
1 UDFA (Robey...yes, I'm including nickel corner as a 'starter', so 12 players)

Mace
12-31-2015, 05:48 PM
Last year's starting defense=

1 splashy FA (Mario)
1 mid-level FA (Spikes)
1 'garbage for garbage' trade (Hughes)
8 draft picks (Dareus, KW, Bradham, Brown, McKelvin, Gilmore, AW, Searcy)
1 UDFA (Robey...yes, I'm including nickel corner as a 'starter', so 12 players)

They just went overboard in FA on offense. We can't go overboard anymore. Draft draft and draft. No more frosting. Bake the cake, even if you have to do it over, and we will on D because of Ryan.

YardRat
12-31-2015, 05:51 PM
They just went overboard in FA on offense. We can't go overboard anymore. Draft draft and draft. No more frosting. Bake the cake, even if you have to do it over, and we will on D because of Ryan.

I agree...my point was we already baked the cake, and Wrecks decided it wasn't good enough, so he was going to force pie down everybody's throat.

BillsImpossible
12-31-2015, 05:57 PM
Not interested in FA that much. I have the same interest in the big splash as the NE Patriots FO has. I know they went after Revis a couple back but they don't seem to be the crazy FA movers like everyone in the AFC east... Perhaps there is something to that.

Tom Brady, aka, Darth Vader.

https://s.yimg.com/fz/api/res/1.2/Pj1HW.NjiAekwsTBlH1JXQ--/YXBwaWQ9c3JjaGRkO2g9NzY4O3E9OTU7dz0xMTYx/http://www.fightersgeneration.com/np9/characters/darthvader-screengrab.jpg

Mace
12-31-2015, 05:58 PM
I agree...my point was we already baked the cake, and Wrecks decided it wasn't good enough, so he was going to force pie down everybody's throat.

I'd see your point clearly had you wished other people a Happy New Year in the other thread besides just elltrain but no no, your Holiday wishes are just sooooo exclusive.

BillsImpossible
12-31-2015, 06:11 PM

The cake got baked, and fell to pieces. It was a good defense for 2 years, and then got eaten alive.

No payoff.

Being forced to eat pie is like your mother forcing you to eat your peas.

We've got bush. Hair pie is good.

Don't be like Poindexter, and don't tell anyone I said this.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/YWshbNTYVqg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

YardRat
12-31-2015, 06:23 PM
I'd see your point clearly had you wished other people a Happy New Year in the other thread besides just elltrain but no no, your Holiday wishes are just sooooo exclusive.

I will instead grace you with a response to your comment.

^That was the response, btw.

stuckincincy
12-31-2015, 10:39 PM
Guys like Jefferey don't hit the open market. I think he gets the franchise tag by the Bears, assuming they can afford him. We might be able to land a Sanu or Marvin Jones from the Bengals. I'm not sure they're better than what we have already though. I think the Bills might want to look to add another TE to pair with Clay. Names like Fleener and G. Celek could be on the radar to ties to Roman at Stanford/San Francisco and because they'd be marked improvements to what we already have behind Clay could be interesting. If we do pursue a NT there are a few names out there Ngati and Harrison will be linked to us with Baltimore/Jets ties but Terrance Knighton is another true NT that could be had BJ Raji has struggled late in his career but who knows maybe might be worth taking a flier on and maybe we draft a young guy to pair with him.

swiper
01-01-2016, 04:27 AM

Go after anything that makes sense. Don't go after a marketing grab (keep Brandon out of it). Look at what the new Jets GM did for the 2015 roster.

HHURRICANE
01-01-2016, 08:13 AM
They shot their wad on offensive weapons this past off-season. Now they need to fix the defense they ****ed up. If they spend any significant money on any offensive position other than oline this year, their issues are more serious than even I think.

RT?!?

YardRat
01-01-2016, 08:53 AM
RT?!?

"They shot their wad on offensive weapons this past off-season. Now they need to fix the defense they ****ed up. If they spend any significant money on any offensive position other than oline this year, their issues are more serious than even I think."

MillsapsBillsFan
01-01-2016, 10:27 AM
Any free agents this year need to be depth signings to fix Rex's dumbass scheme or to help the O-Line. Dont have the money for a "splash" this year and frankly I dont think we need one.

sukie
01-01-2016, 12:08 PM
Go after anything that makes sense. Don't go after a marketing grab (keep Brandon out of it). Look at what the new Jets GM did for the 2015 roster.

Go after lower tier FA to fill needs. Draft other needs obviously and trade down at least twice, trade players for picks. Any of this sound familiar?

sukie
01-01-2016, 12:10 PM
Any free agents this year need to be depth signings to fix Rex's dumbass scheme or to help the O-Line. Dont have the money for a "splash" this year and frankly I dont think we need one.

I'd be okay trading Shady if the picks were in line

swiper
01-01-2016, 02:08 PM
That's the one guy I'd like to keep. Anyone else is fair game sans the starting CBs/Dareus/Hughes.

Mr. Pink
01-01-2016, 02:17 PM
Trading Shady would be stupid. He's the best player on the offense and the offense is tailored around his strengths in the running game.

Mace
01-01-2016, 08:29 PM
I will instead grace you with a response to your comment.

^That was the response, btw.

Well thank you, I hope you have a Happy awesome New Year also.

Mace
01-01-2016, 08:33 PM
Trading Shady would be stupid. He's the best player on the offense and the offense is tailored around his strengths in the running game.

Dump him, he expensive and old. Get another running back. Taylor, Williams and Gillislee dwarf his numbers combined. You want to pay that much for a back who can't reach 900 yards as a bellcow ?

YardRat
01-01-2016, 08:40 PM
Well thank you, I hope you have a Happy awesome New Year also.

In all seriousness, I hope you and yours have a great 2016, and many more after that.

DesertFox24
01-01-2016, 08:42 PM
We will not be players in free agency per Whaley.

X-Era
01-02-2016, 09:09 AM
We will not be players in free agency per Whaley.That comment was before Mario went rogue.

No, I don't think we will be major players. But I do think we add a player or two.

I'm a fan of guys like Haloti Ngata and Courtney Upshaw.