X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BillsImpossible
    • Mar 2013

The Top 20 2016 NFL Unrestricted Free Agents

Muhammad Wilkerson and Alshon Jeffery are poised to hit the free-agent market, but they represent just a smidgen of the potential March bounty. Gregg Rosenthal lists the top 20 unrestricted free agents.

Could Rex woo Muhammad Wilkerson from the Jets? Maybe, but the Bills probably couldn't afford to sign him even if they let Mario Williams walk.

Alshon Jeffery would make a damn good #2 WR on the Buffalo Bills.

Eric Berry or Eric Weddle at safety? Signing one of the two could be, should be, and probably will be Doug Whaley's top free agency priority in 2016.

Malik Jackson at DT? Only if the Bills are willing to get very creative with the salary cap and slash and dash half of their roster, which could happen.

Bruce Irvin or Danny Trebathan at LB? Derrick Johnson?

Sign Russell Okung or resign Cordy Glenn?

Number 1 priority should be addressing the safety position.

Wilkerson and Jackson are pipe dreams.

Number 2 priority should be addressing the #2 wide receiver position.

If Doug Whaley signs Berry or Weddle, Alshon Jeffery, and manages to resign Incognito and Glenn, that would be amazing.

Get out your calculators.

The salary cap increased by $10 million. Thank you, NFL.

Letting Mario Williams find deer in other territories would save the Bills an additional $13 million.

Kyle Williams has a $8 million cap hit in 2016 and would save the Bills about $5 million against the cap.

That's $28 million to work with so far, not counting EJ Manuel, and whoever else the Bills decide to let go of in 2016.

It's nice to know that spending up to the cap and stretching its limits is not a problem at One Bills Drive with the Pegula's in charge.

This is going to be a very interesting off season.
  • YardRat
    Well, lookie here...
    • Dec 2004

Re: The Top 20 2016 NFL Unrestricted Free Agents

They shot their wad on offensive weapons this past off-season. Now they need to fix the defense they ****ed up. If they spend any significant money on any offensive position other than oline this year, their issues are more serious than even I think.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• X-Era
      What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
      • Feb 2005

Originally posted by BillsImpossible View Post
      http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...gents-for-2016

Could Rex woo Muhammad Wilkerson from the Jets? Maybe, but the Bills probably couldn't afford to sign him even if they let Mario Williams walk.

Alshon Jeffery would make a damn good #2 WR on the Buffalo Bills.

Eric Berry or Eric Weddle at safety? Signing one of the two could be, should be, and probably will be Doug Whaley's top free agency priority in 2016.

Malik Jackson at DT? Only if the Bills are willing to get very creative with the salary cap and slash and dash half of their roster, which could happen.

Bruce Irvin or Danny Trebathan at LB? Derrick Johnson?

Sign Russell Okung or resign Cordy Glenn?

Number 1 priority should be addressing the safety position.

Wilkerson and Jackson are pipe dreams.

Number 2 priority should be addressing the #2 wide receiver position.

If Doug Whaley signs Berry or Weddle, Alshon Jeffery, and manages to resign Incognito and Glenn, that would be amazing.

Get out your calculators.

The salary cap increased by $10 million. Thank you, NFL.

Letting Mario Williams find deer in other territories would save the Bills an additional $13 million.

Kyle Williams has a $8 million cap hit in 2016 and would save the Bills about $5 million against the cap.

That's $28 million to work with so far, not counting EJ Manuel, and whoever else the Bills decide to let go of in 2016.

It's nice to know that spending up to the cap and stretching its limits is not a problem at One Bills Drive with the Pegula's in charge.

This is going to be a very interesting off season.
      I think Mario (12.9), McKelvin (3.9), Urbik (1.7), and probably Graham (2.6) are gone. Kyle could retire but if he doesn't I think he'll be back. That's 21.1 in savings before Kyle.

I really think you may only see Glenn and Incognito get resigned plus 1 mid level FA get signed. I think they will rely heavily on the draft.

Then, unfortunately, we may only end up with 2 starting rookies. My guess is that the total haul is 1 new DE, 1 new OLB, 1 new SS and then current guys or undrafteds to step up at NT, and ILB.

Personally, I think the team will be weaker roster wise next year than this year if Rex changes the personnel to fit his D.
      Last edited by X-Era; 12-31-2015, 07:05 AM.

Comment

• Buffalogic
        Rumblin' Stumblin' Bumblin'
        • Feb 2006

Jefferey would be great and his price tag should not be through the roof with his injury concerns.

If we could land Wilk and a Safety, maybe Trevathan from the Broncos we could fortify the rest through the draft.

Comment

• X-Era
          What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
          • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Buffalogic View Post
          Jefferey would be great and his price tag should not be through the roof with his injury concerns.

If we could land Wilk and a Safety, maybe Trevathan from the Broncos we could fortify the rest through the draft.
          Releasing Mario pays for Wilk. 12.9 gained, probably 11 in cap spent. However, we still have no money to spend in that scenario.

Glenn and Incognito will probably eat 8+6 = 14 in cap room alone.

The cap may go to 153 and we can roll over the 7.7 we have now. So Spotracs number of -4 with a 150 cap becomes +6.7 in cap room if we roll over 7.7 and the cap goes to 153.... That helps. It may cover Incognitos contract.

But you need room for draftees (probably 6.5 mill) and that doesn't touch re-signing Glenn. That's why we have to release other players. McKelvin, Urbik, and Graham stand out. Kyle is another significant contract. As is the possibility of restructuring Clay from the 13.4 cap hit down to 6 or so.

Point is it will take a lot of change and a lot of work to do much of anything.

Comment

• sukie
            Seriously?
            • Sep 2012

Not interested in FA that much. I have the same interest in the big splash as the NE Patriots FO has. I know they went after Revis a couple back but they don't seem to be the crazy FA movers like everyone in the AFC east... Perhaps there is something to that.

Comment

• Victor7
              • Jul 2013

Alshon Jeffery would be amazing. Not sure if Da Bears are gonna let him walk though. Cutler was very efficient this seasons. He cut his ints by a mile. I think he has 8 all year long.

Berry or Weddle would also be neat.

Wilkerson would be sweet too but I'm not sure we have the ammo.

Comment

• ICRockets
                Childish Fake Voter
                • Jul 2008

Alshon is the #1 in Chicago. He's not going anywhere to play second fiddle. Weddle or Berry are my top target, along with re-signing Glenn and Incognito. If there's a solid RT out there we can sign as a free agent, do it. Otherwise, find your answer there in the draft.

Comment

• The Jokeman
                  • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Buffalogic View Post

Guys like Jefferey don't hit the open market. I think he gets the franchise tag by the Bears, assuming they can afford him. We might be able to land a Sanu or Marvin Jones from the Bengals. I'm not sure they're better than what we have already though. I think the Bills might want to look to add another TE to pair with Clay. Names like Fleener and G. Celek could be on the radar to ties to Roman at Stanford/San Francisco and because they'd be marked improvements to what we already have behind Clay could be interesting. If we do pursue a NT there are a few names out there Ngati and Harrison will be linked to us with Baltimore/Jets ties but Terrance Knighton is another true NT that could be had BJ Raji has struggled late in his career but who knows maybe might be worth taking a flier on and maybe we draft a young guy to pair with him.

Comment

• Ingtar33
                    Dances With Buffaloes
                    • Sep 2002

5-10 years ago, Berry would have been a great fit for Rex's defense. Right now he can't cover, has no speed and basically is dead-weight in the secondary.
                    My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

• Mace
                      Haha...yeah you think so ?
                      • Mar 2013

Start replenishing through the draft, not FA, FA is frosting, the draft is the cake. We need a cake. A big name team just isn't the way to go, we aren't that close imho, do it right, do it with talent from the bottom up that grows together not the top down again. Nail this damn draft.

Comment

• YardRat
                        Well, lookie here...
                        • Dec 2004

Originally posted by Mace View Post
                        Start replenishing through the draft, not FA, FA is frosting, the draft is the cake. We need a cake. A big name team just isn't the way to go, we aren't that close imho, do it right, do it with talent from the bottom up that grows together not the top down again. Nail this damn draft.
                        Last year's starting defense=

1 splashy FA (Mario)
                        1 mid-level FA (Spikes)
                        1 'garbage for garbage' trade (Hughes)
                        8 draft picks (Dareus, KW, Bradham, Brown, McKelvin, Gilmore, AW, Searcy)
                        1 UDFA (Robey...yes, I'm including nickel corner as a 'starter', so 12 players)
                        YardRat Wall of Fame
                        #56 DARRYL TALLEY

Comment

• Mace
                          Haha...yeah you think so ?
                          • Mar 2013

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
                          Last year's starting defense=

1 splashy FA (Mario)
                          1 mid-level FA (Spikes)
                          1 'garbage for garbage' trade (Hughes)
                          8 draft picks (Dareus, KW, Bradham, Brown, McKelvin, Gilmore, AW, Searcy)
                          1 UDFA (Robey...yes, I'm including nickel corner as a 'starter', so 12 players)
                          They just went overboard in FA on offense. We can't go overboard anymore. Draft draft and draft. No more frosting. Bake the cake, even if you have to do it over, and we will on D because of Ryan.

Comment

• YardRat
                            Well, lookie here...
                            • Dec 2004

Originally posted by Mace View Post
                            They just went overboard in FA on offense. We can't go overboard anymore. Draft draft and draft. No more frosting. Bake the cake, even if you have to do it over, and we will on D because of Ryan.
                            I agree...my point was we already baked the cake, and Wrecks decided it wasn't good enough, so he was going to force pie down everybody's throat.
                            YardRat Wall of Fame
                            #56 DARRYL TALLEY

Comment

• BillsImpossible
                              • Mar 2013

Originally posted by sukie View Post
                              Not interested in FA that much. I have the same interest in the big splash as the NE Patriots FO has. I know they went after Revis a couple back but they don't seem to be the crazy FA movers like everyone in the AFC east... Perhaps there is something to that.
                              Tom Brady, aka, Darth Vader.

Comment

Working...
                              X