PDA

View Full Version : New Rex = old Rex ?

Mace
12-30-2015, 07:42 PM
I don't want to be a jerk, I want to give people credit for admitting mistakes with a fresh start. But the guy is like Eddie Haskell to me, habitual, uncontrolled, will say anything then not mean it later, like he says anything and doesn't necessarily mean it now. It's not even funny to me anymore, I used to figure it was entertainment on purpose, I don't think it is anymore. It's not on purpose.

The couple sentences below are tragic. You can't have a football coach without a self critical eye who just believes what he wants to believe. He thought he was telling the truth didn't have a clue he couldn't be because it was future not present. He never looks at things like they might not work, but nothing ever always works, it's simple maturity.

No one ever bases courses of action on over a long term based on what they want to believe.

His heart was in the right place, always will be, but his head just isn't. I mean he's being honest, I can give him credit for that, but his head just doesn't make enough sense of things for him to really learn and grow as a coach. I know some people want him to work out, I do too, but he's been around too many years and doesn't change or adapt, just believes what he wants to and figures it will be so.

I'm not even angry anymore, this is sad.

"I just honestly wanted to one-hundred-percent believe that," Ryan said. "I absolutely did, without question.

"I get it. That's just me, but sometimes you see the impact that it has. My heart was in the right place. I thought I was telling the truth, but at the same time, it's like, eh. I never look at it as, 'What if this doesn't go exactly the way I would expect it go.'"

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2015/12/30/meet-the-new-rex-ryan-no-more-boasting/

justasportsfan
12-30-2015, 07:48 PM
It's the same crap he did in NY jets. Talk big and then take the blame and act sorry.

SpikedLemonade
12-30-2015, 09:41 PM
Rex is an assclown.

His defensive schemes are outdated and non-sustainable.

PuntKicker
12-30-2015, 10:28 PM
The Pegulas and the rest of OBD knew what they were getting when they signed Rex on. His talk was part of the package, and one that was not entirely seen as negative, I might add.

As for his schemes, to me it isnt so much that they in of themselves are wrong, but they are not what is best suited for the players we have suiting up for the game. This was my first concern when I read about Rex's hire, not whatever he says. I hope that next season he actually follows up on his proclamation to fit the D to the players instead of the other way around. That said, without the devestaing amount of injuries, Rex may have very well taken us to the promised land(the playoffs). Maybe less injuries added to a decision to honor those words will be enough to catapult the Bills next season.

FWIW, I do give him the benefit of the doubt about his heart being in the right place. Bills fans shouldn't have had to wait until next season for the playoffs with the roster the maligned OBD assembled, but if he'll consider playing more 4-3, I'm all for having a guy with his heart back.

sahlensguy
12-31-2015, 04:59 AM
Rex's beginning of the end for me wasn't his words, but his actions. Specifically trotting out the Enemkpalis of the world, or the entire O Line as team captians to troll opposing coaches. I knew he didn't take the head coach of the Buffalo Bills job seriously enough at that point. Game over for me.

Turf
12-31-2015, 05:07 AM
Rex is blaming things on his mouth and bravado. The problem is he's just a bad coach for the myriad of schemes and game day decisions already gone over in here to death. I really don't mind his boisterous way, though I don't care for it. If he showed class and hadn't said a word, this that and the other thing, whatever, he still sucked at coaching.

swiper
12-31-2015, 05:31 AM
What are the expectations for next year? If he comes in 8 - 8, is that acceptable? 9-7?

BP
12-31-2015, 08:23 AM
The New York press loved him when he was with the Jets because they could easily bait him to say stupid things and get headlines. he cant control himself, hes just too dumb. he will never change, he learned nothing from his past mistakes. I wouldn't be surprised if he says the Bills are winning the super bowl next year.

cookie G
12-31-2015, 08:55 AM
The trash talking/boasting is more annoying when you're losing.

That's not what concerns me.

Its that habit that you point out of saying "yes, I take responsibility for it" but in the end...someone else ends up taking the fall.

He was such a broken record this year >..."not sure what's wrong with the defense and the pass rush, but its my responsibiliy and I'll have to figure it out".

Except he really had no intention of "figuring it out"...because even the most casual fan knew what the problem was.

There are now going to be a number of players who are going to take the hit for his responsibility, so he really won't be taking responsibility for it.

sdbillsfan2
12-31-2015, 09:25 AM
Rex can say what he wants..Its his coaching abilities that always had me concerned. I'll be honest, his sticking around has zapped just about all the enthusiasm I have for this team.
Ive been around a long time. (1960) yes I'm an old timer.I ve some bad times. But never have I ever said screw this team. Weather Wrecks keeps his mouth shut or not .....he's not qualified for the job.He was brought in to sell tickets.
So go ahead and call me a fair weather fan. I've waited 55+ yrs only to end up here. Its not right.and Terry Pegula flat out blew this.

Mace
12-31-2015, 04:51 PM
The trash talking/boasting is more annoying when you're losing.

That's not what concerns me.

Its that habit that you point out of saying "yes, I take responsibility for it" but in the end...someone else ends up taking the fall.

He was such a broken record this year >..."not sure what's wrong with the defense and the pass rush, but its my responsibiliy and I'll have to figure it out".

Except he really had no intention of "figuring it out"...because even the most casual fan knew what the problem was.

There are now going to be a number of players who are going to take the hit for his responsibility, so he really won't be taking responsibility for it.

Sometimes even in the same presser he takes full responsibility then blames execution, essentially pointing to the players and away from himself. I don't think he even comprehends what he's saying. Look at another guy said to be an outspoken "player's coach", Arians. He tells it like it is, calls players out, is straight up with them and they love him. You can't really love a boss who always tells you what you want to hear then says other things 10 min later, except for short term until you realize he's talking out of both sides of his mouth.

I think the thing bugs me the most of all though, is that he just talks for the sake of spreading his charm, without having any substance, learning or growing. He always says he's learned and is learning, but there's just no sign of it except in his own world.

He can't be not capable of flexibility. I mean that second New England game was head and shoulders above every other feeble week. That 2nd New England game bugs me, because something was different for everything to work better, and why wasn't it seen through the rest of the year, I mean you even got more fierce out of Pettines version week to week. You'd figure Ryan would know, unless he didn't because he just put more effort into one week and strolled through the rest without even knowing it. Really bizarre if the players only "executed" one week.

And I just don't think he even knows it. Has to be execution. Other peoples fault, but he'll be heroic and take the blame sort of, humbled at learning, though he didn't.

Oh it was such a mistake hiring him.

Oh well.

Mr. Cynical
12-31-2015, 04:52 PM
It's the same crap he did in NY jets. Talk big and then take the blame and act sorry.

Yup. And where are the Jets now? Case closed.

Mr. Cynical
12-31-2015, 04:53 PM
I mean, just read his pressers. I'm not saying we need Harvard educated language a la Marv, but man...he babbles in incoherent circles a lot. Not a good sign for an HC.

Mace
12-31-2015, 05:02 PM
I mean, just read his pressers. I'm not saying we need Harvard educated language a la Marv, but man...he babbles in incoherent circles a lot. Not a good sign for an HC.

Looks like it's getting worse and he's heading into Jauron era babble to me. The sentences and thoughts are just not completely formed because of the high speed in getting words out.