X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HHURRICANE
    • Mar 2005

The argument for Whaley and Ryan....

Let me say that I predicted an 8-8 to 12-4 season. The prospect of finishing 7-9 was not on my list of possibilities.

The gimmick play offense, regressed defense, and an over penalized team squarely fall on coaching.

With the obvious stated let me make a case:

1) Whaley had another great draft. Williams, Miller, Darby...say what you want but Whaley can pick players.

2) Rex didn't make the same bone headed decisions on challenges and calls that have plagued us with first time coaches in years past. It was nice to not scream at the TV over a challenge.

3) I blame the Pegulas more than Rex on the defense. Unless they said Rex don't change the D it's almost impossible to assume he wouldn't. I know if I changed companies I would run it the way I've done with success previously.

4) This really wasn't a playoff team. And if not for Rex we wouldn't even have a serviceable QB. Let's not forget Tyrod is here because of Rex. Look at Dallas with and without Romo.

5) Adding new coaches, schemes, and ownership is a lot to overcome in one year. It rarely happens. The Jets certainly are a nice argument to this point but in reality it usually doesn't happen right a way. Marv had Bruce and Jim Kelly and it took more than a year or two with Polian upstairs.
  • DraftBoy
    Administrator
    • Jul 2002

Re: The argument for Whaley and Ryan....

Originally posted by HHURRICANE View Post
    Let me say that I predicted an 8-8 to 12-4 season. The prospect of finishing 7-9 was not on my list of possibilities.

The gimmick play offense, regressed defense, and an over penalized team squarely fall on coaching.

1) Whaley had another great draft. Williams, Miller, Darby...say what you want but Whaley can pick players.

2) Rex didn't make the same bone headed decisions on challenges and calls that have plagued us with first time coaches in years past. It was nice to not scream at the TV over a challenge.

3) I blame the Pegulas more than Rex on the defense. Unless they said Rex don't change the D it's almost impossible to assume he wouldn't. I know if I changed companies I would run it the way I've done with success previously.

4) This really wasn't a playoff team. And if not for Rex we wouldn't even have a serviceable QB. Let's not forget Tyrod is here because of Rex. Look at Dallas with and without Romo.

5) Adding new coaches, schemes, and ownership is a lot to overcome in one year. It rarely happens. The Jets certainly are a nice argument to this point but in reality it usually doesn't happen right a way. Marv had Bruce and Jim Kelly and it took more than a year or two with Polian upstairs.
    You predicted a record that had a four game spread and yet you didn't think 7-9 was possible?
    COMING SOON...
    Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• justasportsfan
      • Jul 2002

It was a playoff line up. Rex ruined it. Again, last year's D and this year's O we make playoffs.

You can blame the Pegulas for this D because they hired the guy who ruined it
      sacrifice1
      https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• Novacane
        • Jul 2002

Did you not watch the KC game? There is no good argument for Rex!

Comment

• HHURRICANE
          • Mar 2005

Originally posted by DraftBoy View Post
          You predicted a record that had a four game spread and yet you didn't think 7-9 was possible?
          My prediction was 10-6. But I said I could this team finishing as bad as 8-8 or as good as 12-4 based on schedule, etc.

So no 7-9, with this roster, was not something that I feasibly saw happening.

Comment

• HHURRICANE
            • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Novacane View Post
            Did you not watch the KC game? There is no good argument for Rex!
            This board has revisionist history. This team was much better run in many facets than previous teams. Way more professional on the field. I didn't say that Rex didn't make mistakes. Getting caught twice making personnel changes was ridiculous.

Comment

• sahlensguy
              • Mar 2015

You can blame the Pegulas if they knew what they were getting into from the start. It now appears that our D is in full rebuild mode to find players to fit Rex's style. I don't know about the Pegulas, but this isn't what Rex was selling at his introduction press conference.

"We play defense based on our personnel, not just a scheme."

The guy lets his mouth do the walking which only gets us going backwards.

Comment

• Ingtar33
                Dances With Buffaloes
                • Sep 2002

The gimmick play offense
                which was the 3rd best offensives season the bills had since the last superbowl run (behind '98, '02)
                My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

• kscdogbillsfan1221
                  • Nov 2007

This board has revisionist history. This team was much better run in many facets than previous teams. Way more professional on the field. I didn't say that Rex didn't make mistakes. Getting caught twice making personnel changes was ridiculous.
                  way more professional on the field? does that include the ridiculous amount of penalties this team earned this year?

come on man. you're better than this.
                  I came.
                  I saw.
                  I conquered.

Comment

• YardRat
                    Well, lookie here...
                    • Dec 2004

I get the support for Whaley (to a certain point) but there is no justification for Wrecks and anybody that had a say in hiring him.

Considering the circumstances, it may be the worst coaching move in the history of the franchise since Collier replaced Saban.
                    YardRat Wall of Fame
                    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Novacane
                      • Jul 2002

Where does that come from? You must be talking about the same stupid penalties that were committed over and over and over................

Comment

• DesertFox24
                        • Jul 2005

Look we have Rex and to destroy the whole thing after one year would be even worse. The best thing to do is give him three years and hope for some continuity and that continuity will lead to success like it did for the bengals.

Rex did get is tyrod which may be a franchise qb for us and is still young, without Rex he is not here. That said we need to draft another QB in the first three rounds to develop since EJ is a goner.

Comment

• Novacane
                          • Jul 2002

Continuity for the sake of continuity is stupidity!

Comment

• Mace
                            Haha...yeah you think so ?
                            • Mar 2013

Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it
                            We're the Jets when the early success started taking a dip for the worse.
                            Last edited by Mace; 01-01-2016, 08:56 PM.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                              Administrator
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by DesertFox24 View Post
                              Look we have Rex and to destroy the whole thing after one year would be even worse. The best thing to do is give him three years and hope for some continuity and that continuity will lead to success like it did for the bengals.
                              Isn't there an argument to be made that keeping Rex will lead to destroying almost the entire defense and rebuilding it? You're looking at pretty big turnover on that unit.
                              COMING SOON...
                              Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                              We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X