PDA

View Full Version : Pettine watch... I want him back as DC

X-Era
01-02-2016, 09:14 AM
If we're sticking with Rex's scheme, bring him back. He ran a more disciplined defense that got the most of of its players.

Thurman should be fired immediately but he's Rex's friend. But so is Pettine. If we're stuck with Rex's friends it might as well be Pettine.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25434733/reports-mike-pettine-could-be-coaching-his-final-game-with-browns-sunday

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2016/01/some_browns_staffers_emerge_fr.html

feldspar
01-02-2016, 09:37 AM
Pettine ain't coming back. Not a snowball's chance in hell.

His whole thing was to get out of Rex's rather large shadow...why he left the Jets in the first place, I think.

Let's talk about Cowher and Gruden becoming the Bills Head Coach next year instead. I think there is a greater chance of that happening than Pettine becoming the Bills d-coordinator again.

I'm not completely satisfied with Thurman right now though, you could say.

YardRat
01-02-2016, 09:41 AM
Hell no. If we're bringing back a retread DC it better be Schwartz.

X-Era
01-02-2016, 10:18 AM
Hell no. If we're bringing back a retread DC it better be Schwartz.Zero chance Scwartz would be the DC under Rex. Pettine is plausible. But why are you so against it? His D was very successful, played solid, and used who we had.

Albany,n.y.
01-02-2016, 11:07 AM
Pettine ain't coming back. Not a snowball's chance in hell.

His whole thing was to get out of Rex's rather large shadow...why he left the Jets in the first place, I think.

Let's talk about Cowher and Gruden becoming the Bills Head Coach next year instead. I think there is a greater chance of that happening than Pettine becoming the Bills d-coordinator again.

I'm not completely satisfied with Thurman right now though, you could say.

When Pettine left the Jets, it was to enhance his chances of getting a head coaching job. That won't be an issue for him in 2016, so a return to the Bills is not as far-fetched as you think it is.

feldspar
01-02-2016, 11:41 AM
When Pettine left the Jets, it was to enhance his chances of getting a head coaching job. That won't be an issue for him in 2016, so a return to the Bills is not as far-fetched as you think it is.

Yes, it is as far fetched as I think it is.

To me, Pettine coming back to Rex would be largely perceived as the man running back to daddy...with his tail between his legs admitting permanent defeat. Kinda like living in his parent's basement, if you will.

He wanted to make his own name, and it's not out of the question that he gets another chance at Head Coach later. Everyone knows what a mess that Browns team is.

I'd eat my hat if Pettine even considers the option IF he's fired. And IF the offer is there, which it won't be.

YardRat
01-02-2016, 11:52 AM
Zero chance Scwartz would be the DC under Rex. Pettine is plausible. But why are you so against it? His D was very successful, played solid, and used who we had.

His defense was bad in ppg (20th) horrible against the run (28th, not to mention the weekly bad memories of nobody RB's doing their Emmitt Smith impression), and middle of the road (14th) in third down conversions.

MillsapsBillsFan
01-02-2016, 11:56 AM
His defense was bad in ppg (20th) horrible against the run (28th, not to mention the weekly bad memories of nobody RB's doing their Emmitt Smith impression), and middle of the road (14th) in third down conversions.

This defense really isn't much better though, especially when it comes to third downs

Mr. Pink
01-02-2016, 11:58 AM
So you want a guy back who's spearheading the Defense of a team that's 29th overall in points allowed, 28th in yards allowed, 19th in pass yards allowed and dead last against the run?

May I ask, why?

YardRat
01-02-2016, 12:03 PM
This defense really isn't much better though, especially when it comes to third downs

This defense is actually worse, almost across the board.

feldspar
01-02-2016, 12:11 PM
On a side note, Pettine always reminded me of Antoine Levey.

Look him up if you don't know who he is...bears a striking resemblance maybe.

Albany,n.y.
01-02-2016, 01:06 PM
Yes, it is as far fetched as I think it is.

To me, Pettine coming back to Rex would be largely perceived as the man running back to daddy...with his tail between his legs admitting permanent defeat. Kinda like living in his parent's basement, if you will.

He wanted to make his own name, and it's not out of the question that he gets another chance at Head Coach later. Everyone knows what a mess that Browns team is.

I'd eat my hat if Pettine even considers the option IF he's fired. And IF the offer is there, which it won't be.

I recall another ex-Browns coach who went back to his daddy after Cleveland and it worked out pretty good for him.

stuckincincy
01-02-2016, 01:23 PM
This club is certainly near the top of the charts re numbers of coaching changes - at any level and position. Think that lack of continuity might be part of the problem? :handball:

feldspar
01-02-2016, 01:49 PM
I recall another ex-Browns coach who went back to his daddy after Cleveland and it worked out pretty good for him.

Perhaps you would like to expand upon that idea.

Tell me the whole story...I already know it, but tell me anyway.

Albany,n.y.
01-02-2016, 02:20 PM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Belichick

Belichick began his coaching career in 1975; by 1985 he was the defensive coordinator for New York Giants head coach Bill Parcells. Parcells and Belichick won two Super Bowls together (XXI and XXV) before Belichick left to become the head coach in Cleveland in 1991. He remained in Cleveland for five seasons and was fired following the team's 1995 season. Belichick then rejoined Parcells, first in New England and later with the New York Jets.

YardRat
01-02-2016, 02:57 PM
Belichek in Cleveland (wins, prior year = 3) = 6,7,7,11,5.
Ryan in NYJ (prior year = 9) = 9,11,8,6,8,4.

Bill took a hapless team to the playoffs. Continuity with Wrecks took a playoff team to hapless.

BillsImpossible
01-02-2016, 03:12 PM
Belichek in Cleveland (wins, prior year = 3) = 6,7,7,11,5.
Ryan in NYJ (prior year = 9) = 9,11,8,6,8,4.

Bill took a hapless team to the playoffs. Continuity with Wrecks took a playoff team to hapless.

Bill had Vinny Testaverde to work with. That helps.

Rex wanted Tyrod Taylor when he was with the Jets. John Idzik didn't do him any favors.

Mr. Pink
01-02-2016, 03:22 PM
Bill had Vinny Testaverde to work with. That helps.

Rex wanted Tyrod Taylor when he was with the Jets. John Idzik didn't do him any favors.

Bahahaha, I've never seen anyone equate the success of that 94 Browns team to Vinny Interceptaverde before.

He threw 16 TDs to 18 INTs that year. That team won games because Vinny was sacked like 12 times all season and they had statistically the best defensive season in Browns history. Still couldn't beat the Steelers that year as they lost 3 times to them.

X-Era
01-02-2016, 03:56 PM
So you want a guy back who's spearheading the Defense of a team that's 29th overall in points allowed, 28th in yards allowed, 19th in pass yards allowed and dead last against the run?

May I ask, why?I won't look at the Browns situation. I'm looking at what he did pretty much with the same team we have now.

The team had the 10th ranked defense. That is a big upgrade to this years defense. Beyond that we were 4th in the league for sacks.

He's a huge upgrade to Thurman for sure.

justasportsfan
01-02-2016, 05:34 PM
It seems Pettine was not a yes man to Rex unlike our D coordinator. Pettine needed to gets out of Rexy's shadow. I doubt he goes back in there again . If no one hires him, then maybe. But Rex loves his DC right now and will go down with him.

justasportsfan
01-02-2016, 05:36 PM
I won't look at the Browns situation. I'm looking at what he did pretty much with the same team we have now.

The team had the 10th ranked defense. That is a big upgrade to this years defense. Beyond that we were 4th in the league for sacks.

He's a huge upgrade to Thurman for sure.

It like Pettine but his defenses have been at the bottom of the league vs.VT he run.

Mace
01-02-2016, 06:55 PM
Payton stays in NO, and Pettine to NO I think.

Pettine was at least aggressive here as advertised, but I think the sun has set on Ryan hybrid defenses. Teams figured them out like the Tampa-2, and they need specialized players the same. Modern defenses are more successful being more committed to players I think. Like you never see JJ Watt lining up in the same place, the scheme uses him, he's not used per the scheme.

Besides stacking the line or inexplicably dropping rushers into coverage (oh we fooled them !), you didn't really see anyone being moved around in Ryan's defense, which was not short of athletes.

I don't know if Pettine learns and grows without Ryan, sort of looked to me like he was trying in Cleveland, if not so well, but I know he sure won't under Ryan, who isn't going to change, learn or grow for anyone, because he's a legend in his own mind.

Better luck to Pettine elsewhere, I like Pettine, he needs forge his own path like Rob Ryan failed to.

ublinkwescore
01-03-2016, 05:13 AM
I will not be watching any more football until Rex Ryan is terminated.

DraftBoy
01-03-2016, 05:41 AM

See you in 2017.

YardRat
01-03-2016, 09:26 AM
Pettine will be out after the season, as well as GM Farmer, according to reports this AM.

Albany,n.y.
01-03-2016, 09:31 AM

It's too bad you'll miss seeing the Bills win the Super Bowl.

DetDannyWilliams
01-03-2016, 04:51 PM
officially FIRED! just announced on Directv Red Zone Channel

X-Era
01-03-2016, 04:58 PM
Step 2 is firing or demoting Thurman.

Get it done.

justasportsfan
01-03-2016, 05:53 PM
Step 2 is firing or demoting Thurman.

Get it done.

Not happening

Night Train
01-03-2016, 06:36 PM
Stop. The guy was a DC on his own for a year, then choice #14 as Cleveland HC. Good chance he may be hired as a position coach, ala Marone. He has proven little.

mdcas22
01-03-2016, 06:58 PM
#1 Pettine wouldn't come back to Rex, Rex is and always has been the defensive play caller on his teams thats why Pettine left NY to come to Buffalo.

#2 Thurman is nothing more than a position clip board holder, Rex is the defensive coordinator.

Victor7
01-04-2016, 08:52 AM
#1 Pettine wouldn't come back to Rex, Rex is and always has been the defensive play caller on his teams thats why Pettine left NY to come to Buffalo.

#2 Thurman is nothing more than a position clip board holder, Rex is the defensive coordinator.

This

IlluminatusUIUC
01-04-2016, 09:36 AM
Let's not forget that Pettine and Ryan's time together in New York ended under a bit of a cloud, with Rex taking the playcalling duties away from Pettine. Who knows? They may be willing to bury the hatchet, but it's also possible Pettine has no interest in working under Rex again.

The Jokeman
01-04-2016, 12:34 PM

I can't see Ryan letting go of Thurman who's been with him since his Baltimore days. We might bring Pettine back as a LB coach with a special designation like Assistant to Head Coach or something yet I can't see him as a full fledge DC.

Woodman
01-04-2016, 01:48 PM
Assistant to the DC no more.

X-Era
01-04-2016, 04:13 PM
Rex said at his presser that nothing is set on his coords. He's meeting with them tomorrow. Didn't rule out change nor did he rule out Pettine or Rob Ryan.

Mace
01-04-2016, 04:32 PM
Rex said at his presser that nothing is set on his coords. He's meeting with them tomorrow. Didn't rule out change nor did he rule out Pettine or Rob Ryan.

I don't think anything will change, if it does I'll feel better though.