• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • YardRat
    Well, lookie here...
    • Dec 2004

Move to LA-3 teams file before deadline

No real surprises...San Diego, Oakland and St Louis.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS
  • feldspar
    • Mar 2007

Re: Move to LA-3 teams file before deadline

Just glad the Bills are not on that list.

Comment

• sukie
      Seriously?
      • Sep 2012

totally sucks for those fan bases. How there are teams like Buffalo and Cleveland that are solidly in place in small markets yet a team in St Louis may move AGAIN... San Diego? Is it empty like Jacksonville on Sundays? are they tarping over seats? Raider Nation... are they not supporting the team? Aside from GREED, what else is driving this?

Comment

• MikeInRoch
        • Sep 2003

Aside from greed, what else drives ANYTHING related to the NFL?
        "'Clean up your room.', 'Stand up straight.', 'Pick up your feet.', 'Take it like a man.', 'Be nice to your sister.', 'Don't mix beer and wine, ever.'. Oh yeah, 'Don't drive on the railroad track.'"

"Eh, Phil. That's one I happen to agree with."

Comment

• OpIv37
          Acid Douching Asswipe
          • Sep 2002

So the two teams that left LA voluntarily a little more than 20 years ago due to lack of support are now asking to move back?

The only move that really makes sense is the Chargers, because it's close enough to LA that they could keep drawing off that fan base while gaining fans in LA.

But, given the stupidity of the NFL, LA will get the Chargers AND the Rams.

- - - Updated - - -

So the two teams that left LA voluntarily a little more than 20 years ago due to lack of support are now asking to move back?

The only move that really makes sense is the Chargers, because it's close enough to LA that they could keep drawing off that fan base while gaining fans in LA.

But, given the stupidity of the NFL, LA will get the Chargers AND the Rams.
          MiKiDo Facebook
          MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Night Train
            Retired - On Several Levels
            • Jul 2005

St. Louis is a baseball town that has rarely supported football. Failed twice.

L.A. has USC and UCLA on Saturday. They do NOT care about NFL football. Rams and Raiders both left.

Good luck.
            Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• sukie
              Seriously?
              • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Night Train View Post
              St. Louis is a baseball town that has rarely supported football. Failed twice.

L.A. has USC and UCLA on Saturday. They do NOT care about NFL football. Rams and Raiders both left.

Good luck.

yeah I looked it up... St Louis draws in the bottom 3 as far as attendance goes.. Surprisingly San Diego was 21st in 2014... 18th this year. Oakland bottom 2 ... Buffalo jumped to 14 this year from 19

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                Peterman Sucks!
                • Mar 2006

All 3 of those teams left LA at one point, so it's kind of poetic one or two returns.

I would say St Louis is the odd team out just because of the logistics and will end up somewhere else...where, no idea.

Comment

• YardRat
                  Well, lookie here...
                  • Dec 2004

Originally posted by Mr. Pink View Post
                  All 3 of those teams left LA at one point, so it's kind of poetic one or two returns.

I would say St Louis is the odd team out just because of the logistics and will end up somewhere else...where, no idea.
                  I don't see both LA teams ending up in the same conference...if St Louis is odd-man out, the league will have to swap a current NFC team (Seattle, again?) into the AFC.
                  YardRat Wall of Fame
                  #56 DARRYL TALLEY

Comment

• Mace
                    Haha...yeah you think so ?
                    • Mar 2013

Only one I really read about in depth was Oakland, hard to say it's about greed, Raider nation understands Mark Davis's point. It's not too hard to either if you read up on it any. Raiders are playing in a stadium built in 1966, it is breaking down, with sewage issues and such, they have paper cups taped to the ceiling for leaks, and only a seating of some 57,000. The A's share the stadium and also want a new one. It's in bad shape despite remodeling in...1996. The Raiders will put up 500 million, and want multi use land under an umbrella agency, including the city for non nfl-events and parking for tailgating. The city is only saying they'll put in 90 million for infrastructure and charge for the land, which the Raiders point out they can't do because that's the money they need to help repay the NFL loans. The Raiders actually have pretty straight forward points, Davis actually attended the town halls and spoke to people, and the fans are looking pretty much behind him from what I read on their boards.

I love Kroenke's position in this, he's broken ground and is willing to accept tenants, he's about the most sure to come out smelling sweet even if he stays in St. Louis.

It's easy to say it's about greed, but the truth is and always has been, if you aren't willing to pay for something, someone else will, and the rest is just about griping over what you lost, and in this case I mean the city. Stadiums generate profit for whoever nowadays, you can be part of it or not, but a team needs it to stay viable among its peers.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                      Peterman Sucks!
                      • Mar 2006

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
                      I don't see both LA teams ending up in the same conference...if St Louis is odd-man out, the league will have to swap a current NFC team (Seattle, again?) into the AFC.
                      Good point, I didn't think of alignment terms.

Maybe St Louis would make more sense than Oakland then. I have no doubt in my mind that the Chargers are done in San Diego.

Comment

• Mace
                        • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Mr. Pink View Post
                        Good point, I didn't think of alignment terms.

Maybe St Louis would make more sense than Oakland then. I have no doubt in my mind that the Chargers are done in San Diego.
                        Kroenke has broken ground, Chargers and Raiders have an agreement. I have a feeling the NFL compensates Raiders or Chargers to let the other out of it and partner up with the NFC team, which I think the AFC teams and Kroenke already figured out among themselves. I think the Raiders are most obvious to be approved, Kroenke has the most to gain, and Spanos has the best perspective in getting something out of San Diego and the NFL for backing away at the moment.

I'm not saying I'm certain, it's a crapshoot, but I kind of think the Chargers are least likely to move atm.

Comment

• YardRat
                          Well, lookie here...
                          • Dec 2004

Originally posted by Mace View Post
                          Kroenke has broken ground, Chargers and Raiders have an agreement. I have a feeling the NFL compensates Raiders or Chargers to let the other out of it and partner up with the NFC team, which I think the AFC teams and Kroenke already figured out among themselves. I think the Raiders are most obvious to be approved, Kroenke has the most to gain, and Spanos has the best perspective in getting something out of San Diego and the NFL for backing away at the moment.

I'm not saying I'm certain, it's a crapshoot, but I kind of think the Chargers are least likely to move atm.
                          If (hypothetically) the league compensates San Diego in a manner that allows them the funds to build a new stadium that's going to open up a big can of worms.
                          YardRat Wall of Fame
                          #56 DARRYL TALLEY

Comment

• Mace
                            • Mar 2013

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
                            If (hypothetically) the league compensates San Diego in a manner that allows them the funds to build a new stadium that's going to open up a big can of worms.
                            No doubt, but the Raiders need to, and Kroenke owns land and started. Raiders are the only team that can't move by themselves and most need to.

The only other option is to let Kroenke move and dork the Raiders and Chargers. Work hasn't even started from the most recent I read with the Raiders/Chargers site which has environmental issues.

I don't think the league will compensate SD per se for a stadium, so much as subsidize the Raiders/St. Louis partnership so the Raiders and SD can settle their agreement, with all 3 teams getting something.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                              Peterman Sucks!
                              • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Mace View Post

I think all 3 teams are done in the current cities, but if Oakland has broken ground in LA for a new stadium, I don't see how they get locked out of moving. I actually initially thought it would be Oakland and San Diego moving to LA but then some realignment would need to be done and St Louis is the odd man out looking for somewhere, anywhere, to go.

Comment

Working...
                              X