PDA

View Full Version : Move to LA-3 teams file before deadline

YardRat
01-05-2016, 04:44 AM
No real surprises...San Diego, Oakland and St Louis.

feldspar
01-05-2016, 04:53 AM
Just glad the Bills are not on that list.

sukie
01-05-2016, 06:52 AM
totally sucks for those fan bases. How there are teams like Buffalo and Cleveland that are solidly in place in small markets yet a team in St Louis may move AGAIN... San Diego? Is it empty like Jacksonville on Sundays? are they tarping over seats? Raider Nation... are they not supporting the team? Aside from GREED, what else is driving this?

MikeInRoch
01-05-2016, 10:10 AM
Aside from greed, what else drives ANYTHING related to the NFL?

OpIv37
01-05-2016, 10:32 AM
So the two teams that left LA voluntarily a little more than 20 years ago due to lack of support are now asking to move back?

The only move that really makes sense is the Chargers, because it's close enough to LA that they could keep drawing off that fan base while gaining fans in LA.

But, given the stupidity of the NFL, LA will get the Chargers AND the Rams.

- - - Updated - - -

So the two teams that left LA voluntarily a little more than 20 years ago due to lack of support are now asking to move back?

The only move that really makes sense is the Chargers, because it's close enough to LA that they could keep drawing off that fan base while gaining fans in LA.

But, given the stupidity of the NFL, LA will get the Chargers AND the Rams.

Night Train
01-05-2016, 12:17 PM
St. Louis is a baseball town that has rarely supported football. Failed twice.

L.A. has USC and UCLA on Saturday. They do NOT care about NFL football. Rams and Raiders both left.

Good luck.

sukie
01-05-2016, 12:27 PM
St. Louis is a baseball town that has rarely supported football. Failed twice.

L.A. has USC and UCLA on Saturday. They do NOT care about NFL football. Rams and Raiders both left.

Good luck.

yeah I looked it up... St Louis draws in the bottom 3 as far as attendance goes.. Surprisingly San Diego was 21st in 2014... 18th this year. Oakland bottom 2 ... Buffalo jumped to 14 this year from 19

Mr. Pink
01-05-2016, 01:00 PM
All 3 of those teams left LA at one point, so it's kind of poetic one or two returns.

I would say St Louis is the odd team out just because of the logistics and will end up somewhere else...where, no idea.

YardRat
01-05-2016, 03:31 PM
All 3 of those teams left LA at one point, so it's kind of poetic one or two returns.

I would say St Louis is the odd team out just because of the logistics and will end up somewhere else...where, no idea.

I don't see both LA teams ending up in the same conference...if St Louis is odd-man out, the league will have to swap a current NFC team (Seattle, again?) into the AFC.

Mace
01-05-2016, 04:22 PM
Only one I really read about in depth was Oakland, hard to say it's about greed, Raider nation understands Mark Davis's point. It's not too hard to either if you read up on it any. Raiders are playing in a stadium built in 1966, it is breaking down, with sewage issues and such, they have paper cups taped to the ceiling for leaks, and only a seating of some 57,000. The A's share the stadium and also want a new one. It's in bad shape despite remodeling in...1996. The Raiders will put up 500 million, and want multi use land under an umbrella agency, including the city for non nfl-events and parking for tailgating. The city is only saying they'll put in 90 million for infrastructure and charge for the land, which the Raiders point out they can't do because that's the money they need to help repay the NFL loans. The Raiders actually have pretty straight forward points, Davis actually attended the town halls and spoke to people, and the fans are looking pretty much behind him from what I read on their boards.

I love Kroenke's position in this, he's broken ground and is willing to accept tenants, he's about the most sure to come out smelling sweet even if he stays in St. Louis.

It's easy to say it's about greed, but the truth is and always has been, if you aren't willing to pay for something, someone else will, and the rest is just about griping over what you lost, and in this case I mean the city. Stadiums generate profit for whoever nowadays, you can be part of it or not, but a team needs it to stay viable among its peers.

Mr. Pink
01-05-2016, 05:44 PM
I don't see both LA teams ending up in the same conference...if St Louis is odd-man out, the league will have to swap a current NFC team (Seattle, again?) into the AFC.

Good point, I didn't think of alignment terms.

Maybe St Louis would make more sense than Oakland then. I have no doubt in my mind that the Chargers are done in San Diego.

Mace
01-05-2016, 06:16 PM
Good point, I didn't think of alignment terms.

Maybe St Louis would make more sense than Oakland then. I have no doubt in my mind that the Chargers are done in San Diego.

Kroenke has broken ground, Chargers and Raiders have an agreement. I have a feeling the NFL compensates Raiders or Chargers to let the other out of it and partner up with the NFC team, which I think the AFC teams and Kroenke already figured out among themselves. I think the Raiders are most obvious to be approved, Kroenke has the most to gain, and Spanos has the best perspective in getting something out of San Diego and the NFL for backing away at the moment.

I'm not saying I'm certain, it's a crapshoot, but I kind of think the Chargers are least likely to move atm.

YardRat
01-05-2016, 06:28 PM
Kroenke has broken ground, Chargers and Raiders have an agreement. I have a feeling the NFL compensates Raiders or Chargers to let the other out of it and partner up with the NFC team, which I think the AFC teams and Kroenke already figured out among themselves. I think the Raiders are most obvious to be approved, Kroenke has the most to gain, and Spanos has the best perspective in getting something out of San Diego and the NFL for backing away at the moment.

I'm not saying I'm certain, it's a crapshoot, but I kind of think the Chargers are least likely to move atm.

If (hypothetically) the league compensates San Diego in a manner that allows them the funds to build a new stadium that's going to open up a big can of worms.

Mace
01-05-2016, 06:34 PM
If (hypothetically) the league compensates San Diego in a manner that allows them the funds to build a new stadium that's going to open up a big can of worms.

No doubt, but the Raiders need to, and Kroenke owns land and started. Raiders are the only team that can't move by themselves and most need to.

The only other option is to let Kroenke move and dork the Raiders and Chargers. Work hasn't even started from the most recent I read with the Raiders/Chargers site which has environmental issues.

I don't think the league will compensate SD per se for a stadium, so much as subsidize the Raiders/St. Louis partnership so the Raiders and SD can settle their agreement, with all 3 teams getting something.

Mr. Pink
01-05-2016, 07:01 PM

I think all 3 teams are done in the current cities, but if Oakland has broken ground in LA for a new stadium, I don't see how they get locked out of moving. I actually initially thought it would be Oakland and San Diego moving to LA but then some realignment would need to be done and St Louis is the odd man out looking for somewhere, anywhere, to go.

Mace
01-05-2016, 07:17 PM
I think all 3 teams are done in the current cities, but if Oakland has broken ground in LA for a new stadium, I don't see how they get locked out of moving. I actually initially thought it would be Oakland and San Diego moving to LA but then some realignment would need to be done and St Louis is the odd man out looking for somewhere, anywhere, to go.

St. Louis is the one who broke ground though, Kroenke. He's building a stadium on privately financed land he owns, costs the NFL nothing. That's the NFL's wet dream, after struggling with public financing, land requirements and how much they have to loan teams. St. Louis (Kroenke) needs and wants nothing financial, actually has the land and the construction in progress for a stadium.

Raiders have the most need. That's why it looks Raiders/Rams to me.

Scumbag College
01-08-2016, 06:38 PM
I live in SD now and the Chargers fan base is among the worst in the NFL. SD is a pretty transient city (i.e. me) and most Chargers games are 50/50 for Away fans vs. Chargers fans in attendance. The only reason it would make sense for the NFL to keep the Chargers in SD is that it is such a destination city that the extra tourism $'s it would mean for local businesses due to the visiting fans that fly in for the game and stay for a few days.

I like Raiders fans....they are like Buffalo fans, just less knowledgeable about football and act like faux mindless thugs. St. Louis can't keep their fans interested and that dome that they play in looks depressing. I think that it makes the most sense for them to move. No one has yet to explain to me why Jackoffville was given and still has a team, but that point is moot.

YardRat
01-11-2016, 02:44 PM
Per NFL Network, one of the teams moving may be announced as early as tomorrow.

Mace
01-12-2016, 05:45 PM
The committee approved the Carson (SD/Oakland) site and recommended it to be voted on by the teams. Makes me look real wrong, but I'm still not even close to counting out Kroenke from St. Louis forcing their hand.

ticatfan
01-13-2016, 08:57 AM
St Louis should do what Baltimore did, put in a CFL team and the NFL will be back before you blink.