PDA

View Full Version : Pegula gives Whaley, Ryan a year to fix Bills

Dr. Lecter
01-05-2016, 08:56 AM
Buffalo Bills owner Terry Pegula has given General Manager Doug Whaley and coach Rex Ryan a year to turn the team around after its disappointing 8-8 season, The Buffalo News has learned.

A team source told The News that Pegula met with Whaley and Ryan about a week ago to review the 2015 season and look ahead.

During the session, the source said, Pegula gave Whaley and Ryan an ultimatum: make the necessary fixes to get the team into the playoffs in the 2016 season or be fired.

Whaley is known to have a year remaining on his contract, while Ryan has four years left on a deal that guarantees him to be paid $27.5 million.

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2016/01/05/pegula-gives-whaley-ryan-a-year-to-fix-bills/

elltrain22
01-05-2016, 08:59 AM
If this is true, glad to see that our owner recognizes that this franchise wants to win now.

Victor7
I hope its true

Whaley has been here long enough and failed and what Rex did to our defense is grounds for termination as well.

pmoon6
Rexy is laughing all the way to the bank.

He's in a no lose situation. Wonder if he'll even really try?

sukie
01-05-2016, 09:01 AM
Check Peg's daughter's twitter... a denial is forthcoming.

Joe Fo Sho
01-05-2016, 09:02 AM
This makes much more sense than firing Rex 1 year into a 5 year contract. I'm good with it.

Victor7
01-05-2016, 09:11 AM
Check Peg's daughter's twitter... a denial is forthcoming.

Wanna fill us in ??

Too lazy to look it up

Dr. Lecter
01-05-2016, 09:14 AM
Wanna fill us in ??

Too lazy to look it up

It's probably less work to go to Twitter than it was to type the post.

Just sayin'

justasportsfan
01-05-2016, 09:16 AM
I am certain Rex will fix this. 9-7 here we come.

Victor7
01-05-2016, 09:23 AM

Just sayin'

I tried and failed. My twitter skills are lacking. I found Terry and Kim's feed but not the daughter's

ghz in pittsburgh
01-05-2016, 09:44 AM
So who's the source? I found correct TBN sources are far in between. If Polian is involved, then I trust Carucci's sources. Maybe Brandon has been the sources for TBN all along.

Like it or not, I think stability is the way to go. In Pittsburgh we just laugh at Browns yearly front office change. Go and look at it, how often do 1st year GM/HC win in NFL?

I don't know the Pegulas. But they hired Rex. You get the guy then trust your guy. A big part of Rooney's success in Pittsburgh is continuity. Changes are gradual, not sudden, which puts your people in better position to succeed.

sukie
01-05-2016, 09:46 AM

Just sayin'

FORTHCOMING... meaning in the future.... as in NOT NOW but some time that hasn't happened yet.

Strongman
01-05-2016, 09:47 AM
https://twitter.com/JLPegula?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

X-Era
01-05-2016, 09:56 AM
http://bills.buffalonews.com/2016/01/05/pegula-gives-whaley-ryan-a-year-to-fix-bills/

Thats great. And Rex and Whaley plan to do... wait for it... more of the same...

Rex may not fire anyone
Rex wants to continue with his defensive scheme that hasn't worked hoping that time will fix it
Whaley plans to not purchase new talent in FA
They may be releasing Mario which is a net loss even if the money is used to re-sign Glenn and Incognito (they are already on the team)
Apparently the entire plan is to fix the defense solely through the draft and then resign what we already have

I'm glad Pegula gave the ultimatum but apparently Rex and Whaley think you can do the same thing you've been doing but get different results.

Maybe my critcism is premature. Rex is supposedly meeting with his staff today. Mario hasn't been released yet. But yesterdays presser seemed to tell us to expect more of the same.

MillsapsBillsFan
01-05-2016, 10:22 AM
Thats great. And Rex and Whaley plan to do... wait for it... more of the same...

Rex may not fire anyone
Rex wants to continue with his defensive scheme that hasn't worked hoping that time will fix it
Whaley plans to not purchase new talent in FA
They may be releasing Mario which is a net loss even if the money is used to re-sign Glenn and Incognito (they are already on the team)
Apparently the entire plan is to fix the defense solely through the draft and then resign what we already have

I'm glad Pegula gave the ultimatum but apparently Rex and Whaley think you can do the same thing you've been doing but get different results.

Maybe my critcism is premature. Rex is supposedly meeting with his staff today. Mario hasn't been released yet. But yesterdays presser seemed to tell us to expect more of the same.
They do more of the same and they get fired. They don't have to change anything if they don't want, but now they know they need to make the playoffs or they're fired.
We cant pursue new talent in FA or fix the defense through it because theres no money left after we re-sign our own players.

Mr. Miyagi
01-05-2016, 10:55 AM
I see it the opposite. They only have a year to fix it then there'll be massive short-term fix attempts like Marrone/Whaley did before Pegulas bought the team. That is also not good for the long term future.

swiper
01-05-2016, 11:09 AM

Great news.

swiper
01-05-2016, 11:11 AM
FORTHCOMING... meaning in the future.... as in NOT NOW but some time that hasn't happened yet.

ROFL.

tampabay25690
01-05-2016, 11:21 AM
Rexy is laughing all the way to the bank.

He's in a no lose situation. Wonder if he'll even really try?

Wow seriously!

swiper
01-05-2016, 11:24 AM
I see it the opposite. They only have a year to fix it then there'll be massive short-term fix attempts like Marrone/Whaley did before Pegulas bought the team. That is also not good for the long term future.

Stupid is as stupid always does. So Whaley's going to go out and find a "patch" at right tackle? LOL. Don't count on it. He's going to go out and draft a one year "patch" or sign a one year "patch" for right DE? LOL. Don't count on it. What a garbage post on your part.

WagonCircler
01-05-2016, 11:53 AM
According to WBEN, this report is erroneous and Whaley is getting a multi-year extension.

Welcome to eternal hopelessness.

ghz in pittsburgh
01-05-2016, 12:04 PM
Jeremy White ‏@JeremyWGR (https://twitter.com/JeremyWGR)<small class="time" style="font-size: 13px; color: rgb(136, 153, 166);"> 45m45 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/JeremyWGR/status/684443295620141056)</small>
Also told regarding any sort of one year playoff ultimatum for Whaley/Ryan: "Absolutely not".
15 retweets21 likes
<button class="ProfileTweet-actionButton u-textUserColorHover js-actionButton js-actionReply" data-modal="ProfileTweet-reply" type="button" style="color: rgb(170, 184, 194); font-style: inherit; font-variant: inherit; font-weight: inherit; font-stretch: inherit; font-size: 16px; line-height: 1; font-family: inherit; margin: 0px; overflow: visible; cursor: pointer; border: 0px; padding: 0px 2px; position: relative; background-image: initial; background-attachment: initial; background-size: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-position: initial; background-repeat: initial;">Reply
</button>
<button class="ProfileTweet-actionButton js-actionButton js-actionRetweet" data-modal="ProfileTweet-retweet" type="button" style="color: rgb(170, 184, 194); font-style: inherit; font-variant: inherit; font-weight: inherit; font-stretch: inherit; font-size: 16px; line-height: 1; font-family: inherit; margin: 0px; overflow: visible; cursor: pointer; border: 0px; padding: 0px 2px; position: relative; background-image: initial; background-attachment: initial; background-size: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-position: initial; background-repeat: initial;">Retweet
</button>
<button class="ProfileTweet-actionButton js-actionButton js-actionFavorite" type="button" style="color: rgb(170, 184, 194); font-style: inherit; font-variant: inherit; font-weight: inherit; font-stretch: inherit; font-size: 16px; line-height: 1; font-family: inherit; margin: 0px; overflow: visible; cursor: pointer; border: 0px; padding: 0px 2px; position: relative; background-image: initial; background-attachment: initial; background-size: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-position: initial; background-repeat: initial;">

</button>
<button class="ProfileTweet-actionButton u-textUserColorHover dropdown-toggle js-dropdown-toggle" type="button" aria-haspopup="true" style="color: rgb(170, 184, 194); font-style: inherit; font-variant: inherit; font-weight: inherit; font-stretch: inherit; font-size: 16px; line-height: 1; font-family: inherit; margin: 0px; overflow: visible; cursor: pointer; border: 0px; padding: 0px 2px; position: relative; background-image: initial; background-attachment: initial; background-size: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-position: initial; background-repeat: initial;">More
</button>

Jeremy White (https://twitter.com/JeremyWGR) Retweeted

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/1843975333/Adam-Benigni_bigger.jpgAdam Benigni ‏@AdamBenigni (https://twitter.com/AdamBenigni)<small class="time" style="font-size: 13px; color: rgb(136, 153, 166);"> 2h2 hours ago (https://twitter.com/AdamBenigni/status/684428874206298112)</small>
Can confirm @JeremyWGR (https://twitter.com/JeremyWGR) report on Whaley extension that I'm told is designed to coincide with the remaining four years on Ryan's deal. @wgrz (https://twitter.com/WGRZ)

ghz in pittsburgh
01-05-2016, 12:06 PM
Don't know who to believe. But Jeremy is supposedly getting sources from Kim Pegula side.

Now TBN as well: http://bills.buffalonews.com/2016/01/05/source-bills-working-on-a-contract-extension-with-doug-whaley/

"a high-ranking source", that has Russ Brandon all over it.

Mr. Pink
01-05-2016, 12:42 PM
Yet Whaley is getting an extension....

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/buffalo-bills-news/2016/1/5/10717672/buffalo-bills-gm-doug-whaley-contract-extension-rex-ryan-terry-pegula

WagonCircler
01-05-2016, 12:51 PM
I never imagined myself saying this, but I wish Trump had bought the Bills.

At least they'd fail interestingly.

**** the Pegulas.

Signing the raging hack that is Doug Whaley is all the proof that I need that they're just content to own a football team that runs on auto-pilot.

justasportsfan
01-05-2016, 01:01 PM
Yet Whaley is getting an extension....

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/buffalo-bills-news/2016/1/5/10717672/buffalo-bills-gm-doug-whaley-contract-extension-rex-ryan-terry-pegula

with an OPT OUT clause :snicker:

Mr. Pink
01-05-2016, 01:03 PM
I think we all got 2 more years of the Whaley/Ryan three ring circus before they are both unceremoniously showed the door.

Night Train
01-05-2016, 01:51 PM
Jeremy White is reporting a source has told WGR that the Buffalo Bills and GM Doug Whaley have agreed to a three-year contract extension.

There were reports that owners Terry and Kim Pegula had laid down and ultimatum for Whaley and coach Rex Ryan that if they did not make the postseason, they would be fired. However, a source tells WGR that is "absolutely not" the case.

Joe Fo Sho
01-05-2016, 01:52 PM
I think we all got 2 more years of the Whaley/Ryan three ring circus before they are both unceremoniously showed the door.

That's pretty much what I expected when we signed Rex to a 5 year contract. Even firing him after 2 years is a stretch, no owner wants to each 60% of any contract and especially one worth $27 million.

Mace
01-05-2016, 02:57 PM
I was happy for a while this afternoon at least.

trapezeus
01-05-2016, 03:01 PM
this is more annoying than the time Thurman was hinting that we were getting cowher and we ended up with buddy nix and gailey. they are willing to get 3-5 more years of no playoff appearances. this isn't a systems that's mildly broken and needs a tweak. we are on a record 16 years with no end in site. people at the top have to go and new people have to come in. The pegula's have literally seen the value doing it this way with the hockey team. why so resistant with the football team that is an embarrassment to buffalo? it doesn't make sense.

YardRat
01-05-2016, 03:13 PM
If this is true, glad to see that our owner recognizes that this franchise wants to win now.

I wish he would have recognized it last year and not hired Wrecks.

TacklingDummy
01-05-2016, 03:31 PM
So next year is it for Rex then.
Teams now have a years footage to figure out the gimmick QB.
The defense isn't going to get better in a year.

7-9 here we come.

See ya Rex.

Albany,n.y.
01-05-2016, 04:08 PM
This is typical off season nonsense. One reporter says Pegula gives the coach & GM 1 year & another reports the same day that the GM is getting a 3 year extension.

feldspar
01-05-2016, 04:18 PM
This is typical off season nonsense. One reporter says Pegula gives the coach & GM 1 year & another reports the same day that the GM is getting a 3 year extension.

Yep.

DraftBoy
01-05-2016, 05:14 PM
If the extension talk ends up being true then this is a bad miss by a vet like Carrucci.

daryls61
01-05-2016, 05:17 PM
Strange to see Carucci swing and miss so bad. Wonder how he got his information?

BillsImpossible
01-05-2016, 05:28 PM
Didn't Pegula give Darcy Regier a contract extension, and then fired him a year later?

WagonCircler
01-05-2016, 06:34 PM
If the extension talk ends up being true then this is a bad miss by a vet like Carrucci.

And a far worse miss by rookie Pegula.

DraftBoy
01-05-2016, 06:38 PM
And a far worse miss by rookie Pegula.

He's got money in the bank and a fan base that will continue to show up. I don't think he's too concerned right now.

WagonCircler
01-05-2016, 08:00 PM
He's got money in the bank and a fan base that will continue to show up. I don't think he's too concerned right now.

That's the problem.

BillsImpossible
01-05-2016, 08:16 PM
That's the problem.

That's a good problem to have.

swiper
01-06-2016, 04:13 AM

It's similar to Dan Snyder. It's dangerous when an owner has these franchises and acts as if they were his toys to play with.

DraftBoy
01-06-2016, 04:31 AM
That's the problem.

At the end of the day it's a business for Pegula. Just as it is for every owner, coach, and player.

DraftBoy
01-06-2016, 04:34 AM
It's similar to Dan Snyder. It's dangerous when an owner has these franchises and acts as if they were his toys to play with.

Well he does own the franchise and it is technically his to do whatever he wants with it. I'm not too concerned at the moment. I didn't think this team was playoff ready right now, and even with an extension for Whaley it doesn't guarantee he's here for another 3-4 years if he doesn't start hitting on draft picks.

swiper
01-06-2016, 04:53 AM
Well he does own the franchise and it is technically his to do whatever he wants with it. I'm not too concerned at the moment. I didn't think this team was playoff ready right now, and even with an extension for Whaley it doesn't guarantee he's here for another 3-4 years if he doesn't start hitting on draft picks.

But what about at the end of 2014? After the 9-7 season, the Marrone fall-out aside, the team itself (the personnel) was set. They had a very small set of definite needs (QB, right o-line). They had a #4 defense, a solid DC on board. Then in the off-season a left guard (Incognito), a #2 receiver (Harvin), a starting CB (Darby), a right guard (Miller), and QB upgrade were all made. Holes filled? Should be play-off ready going into 2015 season. Why wasn't it?

swiper
01-06-2016, 04:54 AM
The answer is a step back in coaching.

DraftBoy
01-06-2016, 05:33 AM
But what about at the end of 2014? After the 9-7 season, the Marrone fall-out aside, the team itself (the personnel) was set. They had a very small set of definite needs (QB, right o-line). They had a #4 defense, a solid DC on board. Then in the off-season a left guard (Incognito), a #2 receiver (Harvin), a starting CB (Darby), a right guard (Miller), and QB upgrade were all made. Holes filled? Should be play-off ready going into 2015 season. Why wasn't it?

I don't think the list of needs was as small as you make it out to be. I still think we had holes at RT, DT, WLB, WR #2 and both safety positions that needed to be addressed that never were before we went into a complete scheme change. Darby, Miller, Incognito, and Taylor were good to great additions, however the overall team lacked depth and still does.

Forward_Lateral
01-06-2016, 05:47 AM
Ultimatums are dumb.

WagonCircler
01-06-2016, 09:33 AM
That's a good problem to have.

Well, I guess you and the mediocrity can go off somewhere and make sweet sweet love to each other.

ghz in pittsburgh
01-06-2016, 11:43 AM

When Carucci covered the Bills 1st time around, he's really close to Polian, Levy, ButLer, AJ Smith the whole front office. None of those guys are here any more and worse, neither are the guys worked under them. Since old Ralph's daughter quit the Bills after Pegula bought the Bills, no more cab drivers with indie Bills info any more.

WagonCircler
01-06-2016, 12:14 PM
I have to say, I was somewhat dubious of Carlucci's claim and subsequent spin, but he makes a very convincing case here:

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2016/01/06/audio-vic-carucci-talks-pegula-whaley-and-rex-with-shredd-regan/

If you accept, as a given, that Pegula doesn't care about money, it's conceivable that he put forth a deal to Whaley to hedge his bets. He gives the guy a year to fix things, in order to light a fire under his ass, while giving him and extension, just in case Whaley finds a way to make the playoffs, saving face for both parties.

It's not like a GM's contract has Mario Williams dollars. So he jettisons Whaley with a two year golden parachute. Chump change.