PDA

View Full Version : Have You Ever Heard of These Players?

BillsImpossible
01-05-2016, 06:48 PM
The Bills end of year roster is quite interesting. Whaley has made a lot of moves.

http://www.buffalobills.com/team/roster.html

T.J. Barnes

Lavar Edwards

Mike Gillislee *

Ryan Groy

Leonard Hankerson

Jordan Mills *

Bud Noel

Walter Powell

Kevin Reddick

Greg Salas *

Sammy Seamster

AJ Tarpley *

Max Valles

Jerel Worthy

The 4 names with asterisks above stand for players most of us never heard of before and contributed to Bills wins.

Anybody watch them in college?

I know absolutely nothing about these players other than what I've seen this year.

Greg Salas - 6'2 210 lbs. He looks a hell of a lot bigger than that.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/wsqqmN-ffeY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/greg-salas-player-stats

Mike Gillislee - 5'11 219 lbs and runs like a brick outhouse.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Sk7onQBkSkQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Mr. Pink
01-05-2016, 06:56 PM
Hankerson was a decent receiver for the Redskins a few years ago.

Nothing special, but back then at least, he was better than the Chris Hogans on this team.

BillsImpossible
01-05-2016, 07:16 PM
Hankerson was a decent receiver for the Redskins a few years ago.

Nothing special, but back then at least, he was better than the Chris Hogans on this team.

Hogan had about 3 too many drops this year. Keep him in the slot. He had a shot to be the #2 and it didn't happen.

Hankerson turns 27 years old at the end of January. Kids in his prime without a lot of mileage.

At 6'2 211 lbs, he will be competing against Greg Salas next year for the Bills starting 2nd WR position.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Oly9Vzgew1o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Mace
01-05-2016, 07:34 PM
Tarpley is a smart, not robust OLB type who played ILB because he's not tall enough for OLB, and doesn't thrive on contact. Bargain basement depth MLB if you aren't wanting a run stuffer. Think Kiko Alonso who doesn't like to hit, from what I know anyway.

Mr. Pink
01-05-2016, 07:35 PM
I wouldn't go as far as to give him a nod for the 2nd WR on the team but he could be a fairly productive 4th receiver if he's the same guy he was in Washington back in 2012 and better than Hogan, definitely.

BillsImpossible
01-05-2016, 07:56 PM
I'd rather have the Bills #2 WR be a guy that has experience, not a rookie in 2016.

Woods and Hogan are slot receivers.

Hankerson and Salas are not slot receivers.

It's a good thing to know that Doug Whaley knows more about the Hankerson's, and Salas's of the football world than we do.

Did anyone else notice how effective Hankerson was in the middle of the field?

Night Train
01-06-2016, 05:37 AM
Hankerson and Salas were very sharp grabs at WR. I was pleased with those 2 pickups.

Forward_Lateral
01-06-2016, 05:51 AM
I remember Salas with the Jets ( I think?)

Everyone knows I have a man boner for Gillislee.

Tarpley played awesome in the final game.

Yasgur's Farm
01-06-2016, 06:37 AM
We have a huge advantage right now of having so many on IR (was a disadvantage during season)... We can add all these talents ahead of other teams now instead of later. After the Super Bowl, we should be allowed something like 90 players on the roster, but that would also include our IR'd and PS players I believe.

Good job to front office and Whaley and the scouts in particular.

justasportsfan
01-06-2016, 07:22 AM
Hogan had about 3 too many drops this year. Keep him in the slot. He had a shot to be the #2 and it didn't happen. Says who? The reason why no true no.2 flourished this year is because we have a qb who can't throw 5-20 yards out especially up the middle. That is also a reason why Clay became an overpriced TE with Taylor as his qb. It's either throw deep to Watkins or run the ball with Taylor.

At 6'2 211 lbs, he will be competing against Greg Salas next year for the Bills starting 2nd WR position.

Salas has 3 receptions (8 last year) for 41 yards this season and he'll be competing for no.2 ? Either you're one drugs or if true, the bills are screwed.

Victor7
01-06-2016, 08:13 AM
Salas and Hankerson will compete for the 2 spot ??

That is wrong on so many levels.

Woods is the No. 2 guy and Harvin is still under contract (hope he gets cut though).

There's a better chance both of those guys end up as camp casualties than them starting. Seriously.

Pinkerton Security
01-06-2016, 10:54 AM
Salas and Hankerson will compete for the 2 spot ??

That is wrong on so many levels.

Woods is the No. 2 guy and Harvin is still under contract (hope he gets cut though).

There's a better chance both of those guys end up as camp casualties than them starting. Seriously.

I have to agree - these are depth players, nothing more IMO. I like the pickups but do not want them starting on our team.

DraftBoy
01-06-2016, 11:08 AM
T.J. Barnes

Lavar Edwards

Mike Gillislee *

Ryan Groy

Leonard Hankerson

Jordan Mills *

Bud Noel

Walter Powell

Kevin Reddick

Greg Salas *

Sammy Seamster

AJ Tarpley *

Max Valles

Jerel Worthy

T.J. Barnes
Mammoth NT prospect from GT, he's really just a body who can play the 0 tech position in a two gap scheme. He doesn't really push the pocket or bull rush much.

Lavar Edwards
Former LSU DE who was a decent pass rusher for them but never at the caliber of Mingo or Montgomery.

Mike Gillislee *
Florida RB, buried on a deep depth chart with bad coaching.

Ryan Groy
No idea.

Leonard Hankerson
Possession style WR with average hands. Runs nice routes but too many drops got him cut by Atlanta earlier this year.

Jordan Mills *
Former Louisiana Tech OT whose got nice size and strong hands but struggles to move his feet and never should of been starting for us.

Bud Noel
No idea.

Walter Powell
Morgan State WR with good speed who was electric as a FCS weapon. Never really developed a route tree and has been relegated to almost exclusively ST duties since coming in the league.

Kevin Reddick
Former UNC MLB who can tackle really well but doesn't do well in space or have the speed to play sideline to sideline. He's a gap filler but he's also a little small.

Greg Salas *
Was fantastic at Hawaii as a bigger possession style WR with soft hands and nice routes. His lack of speed and athleticism has hurt from catching on in the NFL.

Sammy Seamster
No idea.

AJ Tarpley *
Former Stanford captain who plays MLB. Extremely intelligent but also extremely limited athletically. Good tackler who knows how to wrap up well.

Max Valles
Project pick by Oakland last year who comes out of UVA. He's a big DE/OLB hybrid who was the best pass rusher for the Cavaliers. He may have a chance to become something if given the snaps.

Jerel Worthy
Former stud DT at Michigan State who has struggled to find a position in the NFL. Not big enough to play the 5 Tech or traditional DT spot, I think the Bills see him as a rotational 3 tech guy in a 3 man front.

starrymessenger
01-06-2016, 02:43 PM
Hogan had about 3 too many drops this year. Keep him in the slot. He had a shot to be the #2 and it didn't happen.

Hankerson turns 27 years old at the end of January. Kids in his prime without a lot of mileage.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Oly9Vzgew1o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

The thought of Hank and Salas "competing" for the # 2 makes me want to vomit.

BillsImpossible
01-06-2016, 05:27 PM
The thought of Hank and Salas "competing" for the # 2 makes me want to vomit.

Hankerson, Salas, and now Boykin.

They don't need 4.4 speed to catch a ball 10 yards over the middle.

I like how Whaley is addressing the #2 WR position now instead of August.

starrymessenger
01-07-2016, 10:50 AM
Hankerson, Salas, and now Boykin.

They don't need 4.4 speed to catch a ball 10 yards over the middle.

I like how Whaley is addressing the #2 WR position now instead of August.

None of those 3 is a # 2 receiver. M.Sanu, who wants out of Cinci, could maybe be that.
Certainly M.Jones could fill that role nicely.

gebobs
01-07-2016, 11:28 AM
I remember Salas with the Jets ( I think?)Yep...boy's been around. Six teams in 5 seasons.

yordad
01-08-2016, 06:38 PM
Robert Woods is as good or better than any guy mentioned.

swiper
01-09-2016, 05:13 AM
Robert Woods is as good or better than any guy mentioned.

By more than just a little. Problem is our QB can't see over our o-line, so Woods doesn't get too many looks.

stuckincincy
01-09-2016, 06:46 AM
None of those 3 is a # 2 receiver. M.Sanu, who wants out of Cinci, could maybe be that.
Certainly M.Jones could fill that role nicely.

Where in the world did you hear that Sanu wants out of Cinci ???? Or Jones, for that matter...

CIN has over $35M in cap space.

starrymessenger
01-09-2016, 11:11 AM
Where in the world did you hear that Sanu wants out of Cinci ???? Or Jones, for that matter...

CIN has over $35M in cap space.

Sorry no link but I read that he was unhappy with the # of targets he was getting in the Bengals offence and felt he was underutilized relative to what he was able to contribute. That suggested to me that maybe he was touting his value with a view to moving on in free agency rather than taking a position to leverage negotiations with his current team. Bengals are good at WR and the Bills basically need help so if he doesnt sign with the Bengals I thought he might be a value signing for Whaley and the Bills that would not break the bank. Personally I think he is capable of more and I dont think he is going to get an expanded role in Cinci's O given what all else they have to work with.

As for Marvin Jones I was not suggesting that he was unhappy or would not be resigning with the Bengals simply that IMO he would be legit as an ideal #2 for the Bills. After the year he has had I don't think he is going anywhere and no doubt he will be getting a good payday that all things considered puts him out of our reach in any event.

I also like Travis Benjamin a lot. He is the player our Great Olympian was supposed to be, and better than Harvin, but after his breakout season he might be out of reach and he is anyway close to inking a long term deal with the Browns.

Basically I think we suck at scouting, drafting and developing wide receivers. Sammy is a stud but burning two firsts makes him pretty much makes him a no brainer slam dunk. Woods in my opinion is a very serviceable #3 especially in Roman's O. After that its guys with marginal talent and a headcase. Other teams find real gems in the mid to late rounds. We always seem to get it wrong and that needs to change IMO if Taylor and our offence is to progress and develop.

I could be wrong but I thought I saw a comment somewhere that Rex persuaded Whaley to go after Harvin instead of working a deal for Brandon Marshall. Its probably not true but if it is they should both be hung from a tree with a lit bomb in their mouths.

stuckincincy
01-09-2016, 01:25 PM
Sorry no link but I read that he was unhappy with the # of targets he was getting in the Bengals offence and felt he was underutilized relative to what he was able to contribute. That suggested to me that maybe he was touting his value with a view to moving on in free agency rather than taking a position to leverage negotiations with his current team. Bengals are good at WR and the Bills basically need help so if he doesnt sign with the Bengals I thought he might be a value signing for Whaley and the Bills that would not break the bank. Personally I think he is capable of more and I dont think he is going to get an expanded role in Cinci's O given what all else they have to work with.

As for Marvin Jones I was not suggesting that he was unhappy or would not be resigning with the Bengals simply that IMO he would be legit as an ideal #2 for the Bills. After the year he has had I don't think he is going anywhere and no doubt he will be getting a good payday that all things considered puts him out of our reach in any event.

I also like Travis Benjamin a lot. He is the player our Great Olympian was supposed to be, and better than Harvin, but after his breakout season he might be out of reach and he is anyway close to inking a long term deal with the Browns.

Basically I think we suck at scouting, drafting and developing wide receivers. Sammy is a stud but burning two firsts makes him pretty much makes him a no brainer slam dunk. Woods in my opinion is a very serviceable #3 especially in Roman's O. After that its guys with marginal talent and a headcase. Other teams find real gems in the mid to late rounds. We always seem to get it wrong and that needs to change IMO if Taylor and our offence is to progress and develop.

I could be wrong but I thought I saw a comment somewhere that Rex persuaded Whaley to go after Harvin instead of working a deal for Brandon Marshall. Its probably not true but if it is they should both be hung from a tree with a lit bomb in their mouths.

I agree about Sanu seeing more playing time. Sometimes the CIN oc's have fixated on passes to Green to their detriment. I would hope they would re-sign Sanu...their draft needs lie in the defensive backfield and linebacker.

It will be interesting how CIN's Jackson calls today's game. I give him a pass for last year - injuries forced them to have a return man and a running back at the WR spots, with an inconsistent and ailing Gresham at TE. BTW, they put LB Lamur and DT Thompson on IR this week, so they lose in the rotation.

The B'gals playoff games under coach-for-life Marvin have all been the same - panic at the half, with almost complete abandonment of the running game.

DraftBoy
01-10-2016, 06:12 AM
I agree about Sanu seeing more playing time. Sometimes the CIN oc's have fixated on passes to Green to their detriment. I would hope they would re-sign Sanu...their draft needs lie in the defensive backfield and linebacker.

It will be interesting how CIN's Jackson calls today's game. I give him a pass for last year - injuries forced them to have a return man and a running back at the WR spots, with an inconsistent and ailing Gresham at TE. BTW, they put LB Lamur and DT Thompson on IR this week, so they lose in the rotation.

The B'gals playoff games under coach-for-life Marvin have all been the same - panic at the half, with almost complete abandonment of the running game.

Thought Jackson called a good game in difficult conditions knowing he had a limited QB in McCarron and a stout run D. He stayed with the run and gave McCarron easy reads to make, especially in the 2nd half. Hill's fumble, combined with Burfict and Jones penalties cost Cincy that ball game.