• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The_Philster
    • Jul 2002

Redskins, offended Indians face off in trademark dispute

Name game
    WASHINGTON (AP) -- The Washington Redskins, again confronted by American Indians who find the team's name offensive, asked a judge to overturn a ruling that revoked the team's federal trademark protection.

"My clients honor -- they don't ridicule," said Redskins lawyer Robert Raskopf, echoing the NFL team's long-held contention that its use of the nickname is meant as a tribute.

Seven American Indians successfully argued otherwise in 1999, when the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board granted their petition to cancel the team's trademark registrations because of a federal law that prohibits registering "disparaging" names.
    more
    The Buffalo Pro Cheer Blog...Positive coverage of Buffalo's Pro Cheerleaders since 2001!
  • Jaded 7
    Saving the World One Signature at a Time!
    • Jul 2002

This is always in dispute. It gets old after a while. I hate the Skins and their stupid symbol, but come on now. I don't think it's offensive.

There's not a stone in my heart I've left unturned
    Not a piece of my soul that I ain't searched
    The only answer I found for all this hurt
    Is there ain't not answer here on earth

Comment

• SamAdamsFan
      • Jun 2003

I know, I would be honored to have a team named after my people. I'm part Irish and I love the fact that the Notre Dame Fighting Irish and Boston Celtics are named after my culture (even though I hate both teams!). The more the better. Why wouldn't you want to honor your past instead of erasing it?
      "'I get to come off the pill (the football) and destroy everything I touch,' Adams said Monday, a day after agreeing to a four-year contract. 'That's what I've got to do, come off the pill, seek and destroy. The last time I checked, I hadn't seen many guys who can do it better. In fact, I haven't seen any.' He has a point." - The Buffalo News

Comment

• Jaded 7
        Saving the World One Signature at a Time!
        • Jul 2002

You would think. But people are so overly sensitive these days and they try to twist things around. Something that isn't meant to offend or insult, they make it so it seems that way. It's sad.

There's not a stone in my heart I've left unturned
        Not a piece of my soul that I ain't searched
        The only answer I found for all this hurt
        Is there ain't not answer here on earth

Comment

• Cntrygal
          Visually stunning but camera-shy.
          • Jul 2002

I think this lawsuit is pathetic.
          Originally posted by notacon
          The biggest thing we learned from the Bills is that they are a resilient bunch and did what they had to do to win instead of past years where they fold like a cheap lawn chair.

For news, articles and other "stuff"... BillsZone.com

Comment

Working...
          X