X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mike13
    • Aug 2005

So thoughts about Doug Marrone?

Since the Dolphins are pretty much looking at everyone, I wanna see what you guys think of him as a HC, he didnt seem to do a bad job.
  • Mace
    Haha...yeah you think so ?
    • Mar 2013

Re: So thoughts about Doug Marrone?

I think he was unprepared to be a pro HC here, his best asset was Schwartz knowing what he was doing. Poor game management, o-line regression (his specialty), Hackett wasn't prepared to be an OC, they had no real style besides generic whatever, poor staff decisions (no QB coach to develop a rookie, then a bad one), was probably over full of himself while pretending to be a man of the people, which I think ticked off his players, a likeable man of the people who doesn't really like anyone.

No way to tell if he or Hackett learned anything though. They aren't that old or probably so inflexible. They might have, and if somehow they lure back the Schwartz, Miami becomes scary. Tannehill while he hasn't exactly hit his stride reliably is a more grounded QB.

If he learned and grew from it, well, no telling, but I think the Dolphins (or anyone) could do better. My thought is that Marrone needs to earn his bones all over again as an OC at least (and I'm unsure he has it in him) or he'll just always be lucky he had Schwartz, brought Syracuse to middlin' and stumbled into the regional chance of his life in Buffalo, without knowing it.

Edit : If you can anyone whatever offensively minded with some skill who can lure Schwartz and leave him alone, your world changes. Not real sure what happens with Schwartz as an HC though.
    Last edited by Mace; 01-06-2016, 06:11 PM.

Comment

• OpIv37
      Acid Douching Asswipe
      • Sep 2002

^this.

Plus, there are rumors that he was bossy and hard to work with. I don't know if they are true, but if it is, he's not the guy you (or anyone else) want as head coach.
      MiKiDo Facebook
      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• BillsImpossible
        • Mar 2013

Marrone berated secretaries and just about everyone else that worked at OBD.

He was very difficult to get along with, and he held grudges against people for reasons people still can't figure out.

The man actually called himself, "Saint Doug."

He was a complete control freak.

Out of all of the coaches that have been in Buffalo since Wade Phillips, Marrone was by far the biggest dick of them all.

At least Mike Mularkey didn't have any beef with secretaries.

Comment

• Mike13
          • Aug 2005

Originally posted by BillsImpossible View Post
          Marrone berated secretaries and just about everyone else that worked at OBD.

He was very difficult to get along with, and he held grudges against people for reasons people still can't figure out.

The man actually called himself, "Saint Doug."

He was a complete control freak.

Out of all of the coaches that have been in Buffalo since Wade Phillips, Marrone was by far the biggest dick of them all.

At least Mike Mularkey didn't have any beef with secretaries.
          Hmm, Marrone, Saban, Kelly, all of them college coaches and all of them are *******s.

Comment

• YardRat
            Well, lookie here...
            • Dec 2004

This is the team that hired an offensive line guru who fubared the offensive line, and followed that up by hiring a defensive genius that completely ****ed an already built dominant squad. I don't think that's a good source to rely on for advice on coaches.
            YardRat Wall of Fame
            #56 DARRYL TALLEY
            #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• BuffaloRedleg
              • Aug 2013

Jesus Christ beating the Pats without their starters doesn't count for anything.

If Marrone and Schwartz were still around we'd be talking about how that was an 8-8 team at best.

Now we're talking like those guys had a successful season.

Enough of the madness already.

The team this year had the exact same record as last year as far as I'm concerned. They had a better roster this year, but far more injuries.

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
                • Sep 2012

It's difficult to tell how much of the offensive fail was on marrone vs hackett and it doesn't sound like they'd be a package deal in Miami.

All I can say is, if the guy couldn't get along with knuckleheads like Johnson, Williams, and Woods, he's gonna LOVE Suh.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Comment

• coastal
                  Legendary Zoner
                  • Mar 2005

If some d-bag named Russ Brandon was my boss and was trying to play football exec/GM to detriment of my the team's ability to be successful... I'd be nastier than Doug was and you'd have to call me God.
                  Last edited by coastal; 01-07-2016, 04:12 AM.

Comment

• GreedoII
                    • Aug 2007

Originally posted by Mike13 View Post
                    Since the Dolphins are pretty much looking at everyone, I wanna see what you guys think of him as a HC, he didnt seem to do a bad job.
                    I don't think about Doug Marrone...why should I?

Comment

• Historian
                      2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
                      • Dec 2002

Originally posted by BillsImpossible View Post

No, that title goes to Gregg Williams.

Comment

• Strongman
                        • Apr 2006

Originally posted by coastal View Post
                        If some d-bag named Russ Brandon was my boss and was trying to play football exec/GM to detriment of my the team's ability to be successful... I'd be nastier than Doug was and you'd have to call me God.
                        Russ and Doug are dear friends. He even says so in this video at the 1:35 mark

Last edited by Strongman; 01-07-2016, 05:50 AM.

Comment

• The King
                          Without me it's just Awe so
                          • Jun 2004

HE QUIT ON HIS TEAM. Talked his way out of the Jets and now a year later he's a changed man? Good luck.
                          I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
                          "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
                          You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
                          It was all
                          true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
                          He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
                          mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• kscdogbillsfan1221
                            • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Mike13 View Post

my response will be very well thought out and intelligent

F### Doug marrone.
                            I came.
                            I saw.
                            I conquered.

Comment

• Joe Fo Sho
                              Making Spirits Bright
                              • Mar 2006

He's the best, you should totally hire him!

Comment

Working...
                              X