PDA

View Full Version : Bengals steelers lessons for bills

trapezeus
01-10-2016, 06:49 AM
After a year of way too many penalties for the bills, I hope they see how crushing those dumb mistakes can be. I hope they see how they are close to the bengals in terms of lack of discipline and while we lost games this year because of it, no one came out looking like burfict. And jerry Hughes easily could have.

As as for the game itself, if that was the bills losing like that, I would be inconsolable for weeks.

OpIv37
01-10-2016, 07:18 AM
Lesson #1: make the ****ing playoffs first

pmoon6
01-10-2016, 07:23 AM
Burfict was leading with his shoulder and Brown ducked his head. How do you prevent that? Burfict was trying to dislodge the ball.

Then Porter, who had no business being out there in the first place, started talking ****. Was Pac-Man wrong, well I guess so because the officials said so.

The Stealers confirmed their nickname yesterday. They have been dirty since the Steel Curtain, but they always seem to avoid getting penalized for the most part. The refs gave the game to the Stealers and Jones gave them the excuse.

HHURRICANE
01-10-2016, 07:39 AM
Pacman is a douche. That's all on him.

justasportsfan
01-10-2016, 07:47 AM
Lesson #1: make the ****ing playoffs first

Traps post is spot on. Penalties are preventing us from winning thus keeping us out of playoffs

k-oneputt
01-10-2016, 08:10 AM
Burfict was leading with his shoulder and Brown ducked his head. How do you prevent that? Burfict was trying to dislodge the ball.

Then Porter, who had no business being out there in the first place, started talking ****. Was Pac-Man wrong, well I guess so because the officials said so.

What about Shaziers helmet to helmet hit on Bernard that wasn't called, that was worse then Burficts hit.

The Stealers confirmed their nickname yesterday. They have been dirty since the Steel Curtain, but they always seem to avoid getting penalized for the most part. The refs gave the game to the Stealers and Jones gave them the excuse.

Thurmal
01-10-2016, 08:57 AM

I hate Pittsburgh and was obviously pulling hard for Cinci, but I thought that Burfict threw an unnecessary elbow at Brown's head way, WAY after the ball had flown past him. That guy is a true nutcase; makes the stuff Hughes does look like the equivalent of an illegal motion penalty.

BuffaloRedleg
01-10-2016, 08:58 AM
The lesson is that culture trumps talent.

Mr. Pink
01-10-2016, 09:00 AM
Burfict getting flagged was the right call. Even James Harrison said it was the right call according to the league even if it was a clean play in his own mind. And that's James Harrison who for a while was collecting trips to the league office like no one's business.

Pacman getting flagged was a little ridiculous without Joey Porter drawing a flag. Porter was jawing too. If anything if they're gonna flag Pacman, then Porter should have been flagged too.

Although Pittsburgh had a 50 yard FG already after Burfict and woulda still had one more play to gain a few more yards before attempting a FG, so who knows if Pacman's flag even did anything to affect the end of the game.

The kick as it was looked like it woulda been good from 50 anyway.

Crisis
01-10-2016, 09:08 AM
Hughes can be an idiot a lot of the time but he's nowhere near Burfict levels of dirty. That guy is a piece of ****.

Mr. Pink
01-10-2016, 09:14 AM
There was only one call/non-call that really bugged me in that game...

Shazier's hit on Bernard.

Once I saw that happen, no flag, I knew the game would get chippy til the end and figured someone on Pittsburgh would get lit the F up because of it. Burfict was just an idiot and waited til the wrong time to do it.

kscdogbillsfan1221
01-10-2016, 09:19 AM
just moved from pittsburgh 2 years ago after living there for 6 years. I loved it there but the Steeler fans are some of the most idiotic, ridiculous, obnoxious people on the planet so because of that I freaking hate that team.

That said, because I'm married to a steeler fan I have watched most of their games over the last 8 years and outside of New England, I have NEVER seen a luckier team in my entire life. Literally every ball bounces their way. Every major call goes their way. If 7 things need to happen in order for them to win a major game, or make the playoffs, they do. They needed at least 2 miracles to win last night. (a quick turnover and idiotic penalties) and got both of them. They needed to win and get help to make the playoffs and they got that. This is the dirtiest thing i've ever said but I was actually openly rooting for the freaking new jersey jets so the steelers wouldn't make the playoffs

It's absolutely infuriating because I hate them SOO much because of their douchebag, spoiled, idiotic fans.

end of rant.

YardRat
01-10-2016, 09:21 AM
Yeah, the Steelers got the benefit of two instances of calls/non-calls (four, I guess, in reality).

Burfict's hit was nasty and deserved a flag, but so did Shazier's. Porter should have been flagged, and that would have offset PacMan's.

trapezeus
01-10-2016, 09:29 AM
I guess I wasn't clear. But the bengals were viewed as instigators from the start due to the history. And when the flags get thrown at the end, it's the highly penalized team that gets in. Not the other chippy team who is seen as clean.

The shazier sequence bothered me. Helmet to helmet. They reviewe the play but not the penalty and shazier is taunting everyone including the hurt player without flags. Refs lost control of that game from that point on. The bengals felt like they had to take it into their own hands because the refs wouldn't sort anything out.

BillsImpossible
01-10-2016, 10:08 AM
Steelers linebackers coach Joey Porter should have been flagged for being on the field.

http://www.sbnation.com/2016/1/10/10743904/steelers-bengals-joey-porter-foul

Coaches aren't allowed on the field.

That said, why didn't the Bengals take a knee with 1:36 left?

Instead of running the ball and fumbling, couldn't they have just taken 2 kneel downs, a delay of game penalty, and punt the ball with less than 30 seconds to play?

BillsImpossible
01-10-2016, 10:43 AM
With 1:36 seconds left in the game, the Bengals decided to run the ball.

Why?

Did the Steelers have a timeout left? I'm not sure, so let's assume they did in a hypothetical situation.

1st down - Kneel down victory formation. Timeout by Steelers.

1:34 left.

2nd down - Kneel down victory formation, run off 39 seconds.

55 seconds left.

3rd down - Kneel down victory formation, run off another 39 seconds.

16 seconds left.

4th down - punt to win.

kscdogbillsfan1221
01-10-2016, 10:52 AM
With 1:36 seconds left in the game, the Bengals decided to run the ball.

Why?

Did the Steelers have a timeout left? I'm not sure, so let's assume they did in a hypothetical situation.

1st down - Kneel down victory formation. Timeout by Steelers.

1:34 left.

2nd down - Kneel down victory formation, run off 39 seconds.

55 seconds left.

3rd down - Kneel down victory formation, run off another 39 seconds.

16 seconds left.

4th down - punt to win.

Heres why you're wrong. The steelers had ALL 3 timeouts left at 136. The game wasn't over until they got a couple first downs

BillsImpossible
01-10-2016, 11:04 AM
Thank you, I fell asleep before the game ended.

Even with 3 timeouts on the Steelers side, the Bengals could have ran out the clock and forced the Steelers to blow their timeouts.

Why not take an intentional delay of game penalty in that situation?

1st down - kneel down, 1 timeout spent.

2nd down - kneel down, 2nd timeout spent.

3rd down - delay of game.

3rd down - kneel down, 3rd timeout spent.

4th down - delay of game.

4th down - punt with less than a minute left.

stuckincincy
01-10-2016, 11:06 AM
just moved from pittsburgh 2 years ago after living there for 6 years. I loved it there but the Steeler fans are some of the most idiotic, ridiculous, obnoxious people on the planet so because of that I freaking hate that team.

That said, because I'm married to a steeler fan I have watched most of their games over the last 8 years and outside of New England, I have NEVER seen a luckier team in my entire life. Literally every ball bounces their way. Every major call goes their way. If 7 things need to happen in order for them to win a major game, or make the playoffs, they do. They needed at least 2 miracles to win last night. (a quick turnover and idiotic penalties) and got both of them. They needed to win and get help to make the playoffs and they got that. This is the dirtiest thing i've ever said but I was actually openly rooting for the freaking new jersey jets so the steelers wouldn't make the playoffs

It's absolutely infuriating because I hate them SOO much because of their douchebag, spoiled, idiotic fans.

end of rant.

I lived there for 11 years. Your comments are spot-on.

IlluminatusUIUC
01-10-2016, 12:10 PM
Yeah, the Steelers got the benefit of two instances of calls/non-calls (four, I guess, in reality).

Burfict's hit was nasty and deserved a flag, but so did Shazier's. Porter should have been flagged, and that would have offset PacMan's.

I defy anyone without a Steeley McBeam tattooed in their butt to tell me Bryant had that td catch. In every situation I've ever seen, the wideout has to secure the ball *then* get the feet down, but the refs let him touch first then make the catch.

Oaf
01-10-2016, 03:02 PM
IF Brown had the ball, what was a Burflict's best possible action according to his job responsibility and within the rules of the game?

Mike
01-10-2016, 05:27 PM
I defy anyone without a Steeley McBeam tattooed in their butt to tell me Bryant had that td catch. In every situation I've ever seen, the wideout has to secure the ball *then* get the feet down, but the refs let him touch first then make the catch.

The NFL still doesn't know what a catch is.

I agree, he might as well have been juggling the ball because he finally had control after the flip.

And....

I still don't understand how the Dez Bryant no catch (last year's playoffs) was a no catch. Even if he did not have control after going to the ground he eventually gained control of the ball in the end zone. It's like juggling the ball for 5 yards and finally gaining control in the end zone without it ever hitting the ground...

Night Train
01-10-2016, 05:34 PM
Non racist statement.

Marvin Lewis is a black cat.

Mace
01-10-2016, 05:55 PM

You can't dislodge a ball the guy clearly couldn't and didn't catch. The video speaks for itself. Just watch Burfict.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jl-Y5bmBQzU

starrymessenger
01-12-2016, 10:33 PM
You can't dislodge a ball the guy clearly couldn't and didn't catch. The video speaks for itself. Just watch Burfict.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jl-Y5bmBQzU

You are looking at in slow mo. Time between overthrow and contact was probably a second. Plus Brown lowered his head and the contact was with Burfict's shoulder, not his helmet.
Having said that the rule doesn't reference intentionality, nor can it. So its a flag.
Of course Shazier also should have been flagged and Porter too, but they weren't.
I can't really blame the refs. They are just part timers who were clearly overmatched in the chaos of an impossible assignment. Fact is the game wound up being gift wrapped for the Steelers and thats not right either.
Let them earn it by calling offsetting Pacman/Porter penalties and have them kick a fifty yard fg on a windy rainy night.

pmoon6
01-13-2016, 02:00 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jl-Y5bmBQzUYou obviously never played the game. You watch from your pulpit and make a judgment. In real time, he couldn't shift gears that fast and not make the hit unless he did what he was supposed to do according to the new NFL rules. Don't take a shot at a receiver, let him catch it and the tackle him gently.

George Atkinson, Jack Tatum, and Ronnie Lott are all laughing at what the game has become. A choreographed point fest where you are fined and probably suspended for actually playing real football which is not what today's version of the NFL is.

You want to suspend this guy when Tom Brady got off with only a PR black eye for breaking the rules?

Mr. Pink
01-13-2016, 12:59 PM
It's pretty simple. You cannot lead with your head in today's NFL.

While Burfict didn't hit Brown with his head, he most definitely lead with his head to try and make the contact.

Add that on to his his reputation and yeah, we get what we saw happen, a 3 game suspension.

IlluminatusUIUC
01-13-2016, 01:03 PM

While Burfict didn't hit Brown with his head, he most definitely lead with his head to try and make the contact.

Add that on to his his reputation and yeah, we get what we saw happen, a 3 game suspension.

The 3 games weren't just for the Brown hit, he also rammed his knee into Big Ben's shoulder on the play that knocked him out of the game and had a series of cheap shots through the year.

Kenny
01-13-2016, 01:47 PM

If that's the case, that's pretty damn stupid. Seeing as most people have their heads above their shoulders, you cant hit with your shoulder unless you lead with your head.
I just thought you couldnt hit someone with the crown of your helmet.

Either way, it's a stupid rule/call. If Brown caught the ball, then what? Just let him dilly dally to the endzone?

pmoon6
01-13-2016, 02:48 PM

Add that on to his his reputation and yeah, we get what we saw happen, a 3 game suspension.He hit him with his shoulder. Brown dropped his head which caused the contact, how is Burfict supposed to know that or avoid it when he's running full speed?