PDA

View Full Version : Official: GM Doug Whaley Extended

DraftBoy
01-10-2016, 01:45 PM
Owner Kim Pegula just tweeted out a picture of him signing his new deal.

https://twitter.com/KimPegula/status/686290989888237570

YardRat
01-10-2016, 01:47 PM
Hopefully someday Kim can tweet a pic of both of them watching a Bills playoff game on this weekend.

YardRat
01-10-2016, 01:48 PM
LOL...Russ Brandon photo-bombing the yacht party.

justasportsfan
01-10-2016, 01:52 PM
Hopefully someday Kim can tweet a pic of both of them watching a Bills playoff game on this weekend.

They are watching FJAX playing in the playoffs!

Fixxxer
01-10-2016, 01:59 PM

DraftBoy
01-10-2016, 02:02 PM
Kim Pegula also tweeted that they had a great meeting with Russ and Doug about next season.

Anybody else find it odd that Rex wasn't there to talk about next year?

DraftBoy
01-10-2016, 02:03 PM
Rapoport just said that the extension is a multi-year long-term deal from the Bills. Not a one year band-aid type contract that would allow the Bills to get out of it easily. Basically kills the ultimatum story.

starrymessenger
01-10-2016, 02:07 PM
So its Rex and Doug forever.
Maybe Heaven will help us.

kscdogbillsfan1221
01-10-2016, 02:18 PM
LOL...Russ Brandon photo-bombing the yacht party.

that c***sucking douchebag.

swiper
01-10-2016, 02:20 PM

In his mind... he's blowing kisses to wagoncircler.

- - - Updated - - -

Rapoport just said that the extension is a multi-year long-term deal from the Bills. Not a one year band-aid type contract that would allow the Bills to get out of it easily. Basically kills the ultimatum story.

I read that it was a 3 year deal.

swiper
01-10-2016, 02:21 PM

I read it was a three year deal.

swiper
01-10-2016, 02:23 PM
LOL @ some of the comments that followed that TWEET.

"DW is a clown"

BertSquirtgum
01-10-2016, 02:37 PM
Great news. :clap: :clap: :clap:

YardRat
01-10-2016, 03:10 PM
Kim Pegula also tweeted that they had a great meeting with Russ and Doug about next season.

Not really, but I will hold out hope it means something.

doug45
01-10-2016, 03:52 PM
Sad, very sad.

DetDannyWilliams
01-10-2016, 03:57 PM
Yep same thing that the Pegula's did with Darcy

Mace
01-10-2016, 04:32 PM

They're dysfunctional and Brandon has too much to do with too much. They're preaching continuity. Continuous 8-8.

SpikedLemonade
01-10-2016, 05:21 PM
He was learning for the first year or two.

He should be judged immediately.

Night Train
01-10-2016, 05:26 PM
I could care less about running with the pack. Whaley has upgraded our roster a ton.

He's had far more hits than misses and they ALL have misses. I know Manuel was all Nix and Whaley tried to help by over trading for Watkins. Still, Watkins is a star. I do wonder how much say he had in the hiring of Rex and even Marrone. This is where the owners and Brandon may have had a bigger voice.

Brandon is a marketing head nodder who is annoying... but when the Bills and Sabres ticket sales are strong, he's safe. I wish he would leave. i did hear he was courted by Mark Davis and the Raiders. Maybe if they move to L.A., he'll leave.

I guess anyone who once shook Ralphs' hand is poison to many. The issue this year was the D scheme (Rex) and injuries. I can't pin that on Whaley. I have faith in his drafting ability.

Jaybird
01-10-2016, 05:27 PM
i don't mind the move at all, he's done a good job with draft picks, improved the talent level on the team. he's given the coaches a chance to win.

swiper
01-11-2016, 03:21 AM
The only way Whaley truly ever makes his mark in the the NFL (as a Bill anyway) would be to finally get a franchise QB here.

DraftBoy
01-11-2016, 04:52 AM
The only way Whaley truly ever makes his mark in the the NFL (as a Bill anyway) would be to finally get a franchise QB here.

I know you're not a huge fan of Tyrod, but say he progresses some and we make the playoffs next year and he's here for another 5-7 years with 3-4 playoff births. Does that qualify as a franchise QB?

trapezeus
01-11-2016, 06:50 AM
if russ is just a marketing guy, why does he end up in all those photos of executive decisions. it's his complete lack of ability to allows these hires to perpetuate. and guess what, when whaley and ryan don't get us anywhere, russ will keep saying how all he does is sell tickets, and some group of the fan base will say, "that's all he does...tickets. I don't have a problem with him." just when you thought the bengals and Vikings had the worst nfl weekend, the bills hire ryan and let russ make all the calls per usual.

Now i'll wait for the post, "where you on the boat? how do you know Brandon is making decisions"

BertSquirtgum
01-11-2016, 06:59 AM
if russ is just a marketing guy, why does he end up in all those photos of executive decisions. it's his complete lack of ability to allows these hires to perpetuate. and guess what, when whaley and ryan don't get us anywhere, russ will keep saying how all he does is sell tickets, and some group of the fan base will say, "that's all he does...tickets. I don't have a problem with him." just when you thought the bengals and Vikings had the worst nfl weekend, the bills hire ryan and let russ make all the calls per usual.

Now i'll wait for the post, "where you on the boat? how do you know Brandon is making decisions"

You don't know

EDS
01-11-2016, 07:15 AM
You don't know

It so so much more comforting that two rich people with no experience or knowledge of the NFL decided to extent the contract of a "GM" of a team that (a) they don't trust to hire the coach and (b) ended the season with a record worse then the prior season.

What a relief.

DraftBoy
01-11-2016, 07:39 AM

He's the Team President, I think classifying his role as just a marketing guy is a little weak. It's part of his job to know and be a part of the strategic vision for the team so that he can do what he does best and help the team stay profitable. I think it's also quite a leap to assume that because he's at a meeting or involved in a discussion that he's making the decisions on hiring/firing football staff or making football decisions. It appears to be very similar to the role Rich McKay plays with the Falcons which is to be in he room and the right hand man of the owner.

I get that Brandon is the easy scapegoat for many fans, but the lengths we go to in order to find a way to blame him for everything is borderline insanity.

Topas
01-11-2016, 07:53 AM
this is the embarassing tweet:

https://twitter.com/KimPegula/status/686291417967247360

That is the common theme here. Buffalo working on the next season already in January...

swiper
01-11-2016, 10:11 AM
if russ is just a marketing guy, why does he end up in all those photos of executive decisions.

I thought it was posted here recently that he now has minority ownership interest in the team???

trapezeus
01-11-2016, 10:29 AM
He's the Team President, I think classifying his role as just a marketing guy is a little weak. It's part of his job to know and be a part of the strategic vision for the team so that he can do what he does best and help the team stay profitable. I think it's also quite a leap to assume that because he's at a meeting or involved in a discussion that he's making the decisions on hiring/firing football staff or making football decisions. It appears to be very similar to the role Rich McKay plays with the Falcons which is to be in he room and the right hand man of the owner.

I get that Brandon is the easy scapegoat for many fans, but the lengths we go to in order to find a way to blame him for everything is borderline insanity.

his tenure with bills is how long? and the drought is how long?

feldspar
01-11-2016, 10:29 AM

Right on point.

Now wait for the people to say that you are a huge fan of Brandon or are giving excuses...the people that want to blindly lash out without a shred of proof or knowledge of what they are talking about.

feldspar
01-11-2016, 10:30 AM

I see you've thought this through.

Smh

DraftBoy
01-11-2016, 11:17 AM

16 years, by your same logic we fire Brandon and we automatically start winning playoff games and Super Bowls. Who knew one Team President could have so much power.

feldspar
01-11-2016, 11:38 AM
16 years, by your same logic we fire Brandon and we automatically start winning playoff games and Super Bowls. Who knew one Team President could have so much power.

The President of the Seattle Seahawks worked for Anheuser-Busch for over two decades, for crying out loud. Do Seahawks fans feel that he was a major contributing factor to that team's success on the field after he came on board after the 2010 season was underway? Of course not.

Hurray, Peter McLoughlin? No. Thanks for taking us to two consecutive Super Bowls, Peter McLoughlin? No.

Hurray about financial and business operations, sales and marketing, sponsorship, and administration? Dunno. We don't see that on the field at all. What football fan gets excited about those things in general?

People have no conception of what these people actually do, I'd say.

Strongman
01-11-2016, 11:39 AM
Here's how Russ Brandon defines his role:

http://www.buffalobills.com/video/videos/Russ-Brandon-That-was-Always-the-Plan/0b4ab512-5587-4dbd-bfcb-b84eb11bb771

I'm not a fan of Russ Brandon as I think he has been a big part of the team's losing culture. His marketing gimmicks, like the Toronto Series, helped perpetuate this culture.

mightysimi
01-11-2016, 12:27 PM

http://www.buffalobills.com/video/videos/Russ-Brandon-That-was-Always-the-Plan/0b4ab512-5587-4dbd-bfcb-b84eb11bb771

I'm not a fan of Russ Brandon as I think he has been a big part of the team's losing culture. His marketing gimmicks, like the Toronto Series, helped perpetuate this culture.

You call it a gimmick. The owner calls it 78M for free. If you make your guy close to 100M in any venture, you are probably sticking around for a bit. Regardless of the success of the series.

Strongman
01-11-2016, 12:57 PM
You call it a gimmick. The owner calls it 78M for free. If you make your guy close to 100M in any venture, you are probably sticking around for a bit. Regardless of the success of the series.

I call it focusing on the bottom line instead of focusing on winning. I doubt you'd ever see the front office suits for the Patriots, Steelers, Packers, or any franchise with a history of winning thinking it's a good idea to give up a home game.

DraftBoy
01-11-2016, 01:02 PM
I call it focusing on the bottom line instead of focusing on winning. I doubt you'd ever see the front office suits for the Patriots, Steelers, Packers, or any franchise with a history of winning thinking it's a good idea to give up a home game.

His job is to focus on the bottom line...

YardRat
01-11-2016, 01:03 PM

I thought it was posted here recently that he now has minority ownership interest in the team???

His official title is 'Managing Partner and President'.

http://www.buffalobills.com/about-us/front-office.html

Strongman
01-11-2016, 02:02 PM
His job is to focus on the bottom line...

So was he not being truthful when he said, "Everything we’re focused on as an organization is to build a winner here and anything less than that doesn’t meet the standards of what we hope to achieve"?

Over the years, he has said similar things.

feldspar
01-11-2016, 02:07 PM

Lol, you blame Russ Brandon for making you a sucker?

If what he does is making you buy the brand, then he's doing a fantastic job. I doubt that's the case, though.

If you think it's his fault the Bills aren't making the playoffs, you are sadly mistaken.

Strongman
01-11-2016, 03:35 PM
Lol, you blame Russ Brandon for making you a sucker?

If what he does is making you buy the brand, then he's doing a fantastic job. I doubt that's the case, though.

If you think it's his fault the Bills aren't making the playoffs, you are sadly mistaken.

I'm a Bills fan and would buy tickets to games or buy merchandise even if they never win again... so Russ's gimmicks have zero effect on me.

The Bill's are a dysfunctional organization because of the people in the front office. This is pretty well known throughout the NFL. Russ is a big part of that.

DraftBoy
01-11-2016, 03:51 PM
So was he not being truthful when he said, "Everything we’re focused on as an organization is to build a winner here and anything less than that doesn’t meet the standards of what we hope to achieve"?

Over the years, he has said similar things.

And you are suggesting he's intentionally trying to not win or something?

- - - Updated - - -

I'm a Bills fan and would buy tickets to games or buy merchandise even if they never win again... so Russ's gimmicks have zero effect on me.

The Bill's are a dysfunctional organization because of the people in the front office. This is pretty well known throughout the NFL. Russ is a big part of that.

So you're the perfect fan.

swiper
01-11-2016, 04:38 PM
I know you're not a huge fan of Tyrod, but say he progresses some and we make the playoffs next year and he's here for another 5-7 years with 3-4 playoff births. Does that qualify as a franchise QB?

My goodness. I would commit harakiri if I had to look at chicken-wing Taylor for 5 more years. Thankfully I know that won't happen. He's on Vontez Burfict hit away from disability payments. I'm just sick that there is going to be a fight to get AJ McCarron away from the Bengals and the Bills aren't going to be in the fight.

That's how little I regard One-trick Taylor.

swiper
01-11-2016, 04:40 PM
His official title is 'Managing Partner and President'.

http://www.buffalobills.com/about-us/front-office.html

Thank you. So partner makes him part owner, no?

trapezeus
01-12-2016, 03:18 PM
would any other business allow someone to fail every step of the way and then keep promoting him. Fine, if he is just a marketing guy and selling games to other cities is making money and his sole role, then that's his thing and he should get credit for that. unfortunately, in his consolidation of power he keeps taking credit for bringing the "fix" (whether its TO, Rex, Gailey, marrone, Mario, etc) when the changes are announced. but when it doesn't work, he nicely claims that he just sells tix.

any corporation with a history of promoting incompetence and not looking at upgrade always peters out

I will always root for the bills because it is in my blood. but I know like any reasonable fan that this nonsense of constantlymissing the playoffs is guaranteed with Russ as a senior member of the bills thought process.

swiper
01-12-2016, 03:45 PM
It's funny to listen to NY Giants fans on the radio call-ins this week. Chris Carton of WFAN is pimping the idea of the Giants calling Coughln to get him back. The reason? Because he's the best, most-accomplished coach out on the market. I agree with him. The problem was he had a falling out with Jerry Reece (if you believe what you hear on the radio).

And all the folks now calling up asking for Reece to be replaced. Reece, who's recent drafts also stink, but has a much more solid resume than Whaley. Fact is if the Giants don't turn it around next year, they are saying is Reece is out too. While the Bills will hire Rex Ryan's wife and Whaley's mother.

swiper
01-12-2016, 03:48 PM
I will always root for the bills because it is in my blood. but I know like any reasonable fan that this nonsense of constantlymissing the playoffs is guaranteed with Russ as a senior member of the bills thought process.

I often wonder how different all these threads would be had the Bills snuck into the play-offs, even for one game along the way.

trapezeus
01-13-2016, 08:02 AM
who knows. it seems that it might have bought them more time. the bengals drought of not winning is now becoming a focus. I think dallas also had a long stretch there until last year without winning. This 16 year drought is stunning because it actually takes some level of skill to miss it since every other team has snuck in once in the 2000's. And what I thoroughly love is that some people will say, "we have the pats, so it makes it harder". This year we wouldn't have made it in the AFC south and we lost 3 of 4 to a weak NFC east. This team is trying to suck and Russ is the captain of that ship

swiper
01-13-2016, 10:10 AM
who knows. it seems that it might have bought them more time. the bengals drought of not winning is now becoming a focus. I think dallas also had a long stretch there until last year without winning. This 16 year drought is stunning because it actually takes some level of skill to miss it since every other team has snuck in once in the 2000's. And what I thoroughly love is that some people will say, "we have the pats, so it makes it harder". This year we wouldn't have made it in the AFC south and we lost 3 of 4 to a weak NFC east. This team is trying to suck and Russ is the captain of that ship

It certainly seems so.

mightysimi
01-13-2016, 10:38 AM

Yeah the Packers would never do anything like that. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milwaukee_County_Stadium

The National Football League (http://www.billszone.com/wiki/National_Football_League)'s Green Bay Packers (http://www.billszone.com/wiki/Green_Bay_Packers) played two or three home games per year at Milwaukee County Stadium from 1953 (http://www.billszone.com/wiki/1953_Green_Bay_Packers_season) to 1994 (http://www.billszone.com/wiki/1994_Green_Bay_Packers_season), after using Wisconsin State Fair Park (http://www.billszone.com/wiki/Wisconsin_State_Fair_Park) in nearby West Allis (http://www.billszone.com/wiki/West_Allis,_Wisconsin) from 1934 (http://www.billszone.com/wiki/1934_Green_Bay_Packers_season) through 1951 (http://www.billszone.com/wiki/1951_Green_Bay_Packers_season) and Marquette Stadium (http://www.billszone.com/wiki/Marquette_Stadium) in 1952 (http://www.billszone.com/wiki/1952_Green_Bay_Packers_season).[38] (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/#cite_note-ohotp-38) The Packers compiled a 76–47–3 (.615) regular season record at County Stadium over 42 seasons. It hosted at least one pre-season game annually during this time as well (except 1983 (http://www.billszone.com/wiki/1983_Green_Bay_Packers_season)), including the Upper Midwest Shrine Game. Financial considerations prompted the Packers to move some of their games to Milwaukee starting with the 1933 (http://www.billszone.com/wiki/1933_Green_Bay_Packers_season) season, with one game played at Borchert Field (http://www.billszone.com/wiki/Borchert_Field). By 1995 (http://www.billszone.com/wiki/1995_Green_Bay_Packers_season), multiple renovations to Lambeau Field (http://www.billszone.com/wiki/Lambeau_Field) made it more lucrative for the Packers to play their full home slate in Green Bay (http://www.billszone.com/wiki/Green_Bay,_Wisconsin) again for the first time since 1932 (http://www.billszone.com/wiki/1932_Green_Bay_Packers_season).[39] (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/#cite_note-39) Former Milwaukee ticket holders were offered tickets at Lambeau to one pre-season game and games 2 and 5 of the regular season schedule, in what is referred to as the "Gold package."

Mr. Pink
01-13-2016, 12:47 PM
Thank you. So partner makes him part owner, no?

Managing Partner is just another way to say CEO.

So no, not necessarily.