PDA

View Full Version : Rob Ryan to join Bills staff....

daryls61
01-10-2016, 06:39 PM
It seemed to be inevitable. Not sure how good Rob Ryan is though...

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Source tells <a href="https://twitter.com/NFLonFOX">@NFLonFOX</a> that Rob Ryan is joining <a href="https://twitter.com/buffalobills">@buffalobills</a> defensive coaching staff working under/with his twin brother Rex.</p>&mdash; Alex Marvez (@alexmarvez) <a href="https://twitter.com/alexmarvez/status/686365390625222657">January 11, 2016</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<iframe id="twitter-widget-0" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" allowfullscreen="true" class="twitter-tweet twitter-tweet-rendered" style="position: static; visibility: visible; display: block; width: 100%; height: 203.766px; padding: 0px; border: none; max-width: 500px; min-width: 220px; margin-top: 10px; margin-bottom: 10px;" data-tweet-id="686365390625222657" title="Twitter Tweet"></iframe>
<script async="" src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Jaybird
01-10-2016, 06:54 PM
Rex has nothing to lose, he knows he;s got this season or ciao

DraftBoy
01-10-2016, 06:55 PM
I'm curious to see what Rob's position will be.

Oaf
01-10-2016, 06:56 PM
Can't see how this helps. I suppose he'll add to the rotation at DT.

Mace
01-10-2016, 07:04 PM
I'd be fine with it. We're already all in on Rex, Rob doesn't make us more so, though I don't think he's worth a crap as a DC on his own.

It would surprise me this early though. There are still DC jobs waiting for coaches who haven't been hired. Rob is the guy always sure he'd have one.

No matter, it will be entertaining if so, Rise of the Ryans or Fall of the Ryans. Will be priceless if you see them arguing with each other on the sidelines.

Night Train
01-10-2016, 07:05 PM

Twin

Fixxxer
01-10-2016, 07:06 PM
chicken wing tester?

SpikedLemonade
01-10-2016, 07:27 PM
Please let this be Rex's last year.

BertSquirtgum
01-10-2016, 07:28 PM
Good. Hopefully they fire Bobby April Jr and put Robby into the linebackers coach position.

Scumbag College
01-10-2016, 08:07 PM
I'd rather have his dad on the coaching staff.

justasportsfan
01-10-2016, 08:38 PM
He's dropping back on passing situations

coastal
01-10-2016, 08:45 PM

DraftBoy
01-10-2016, 08:54 PM
Has anybody seen or heard from Yardie since this news came out? He may be the crazy guy screaming obscenities at OBD on the 11:00 local news.

HHURRICANE
01-10-2016, 09:06 PM
This is assinine.

Cleve
01-10-2016, 09:20 PM
Oh great - the Bills signed the Wild Man from Borneo now too; one idiot (Ryan) wasn't enough - now they needed another idiot. The Fail Is Strong in the Brandon/Whaley/Ryan Era.

BertSquirtgum
01-10-2016, 09:22 PM

Assistant coach of defense the news said.

Woodman
01-10-2016, 09:36 PM
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/8334/rob-ryan

good news ..... either way!

limits the pain here .... for me that works.

who know's maybe it works.

sdbillsfan2
01-10-2016, 09:57 PM
Check out @JonahJavad's Tweet: https://twitter.com/JonahJavad/status/686378189409652736?s=09

Frenchman
01-10-2016, 10:19 PM
Well Rob and Rex together again!

Turf
01-10-2016, 10:41 PM
Wow round two of the circus begins. The media will have a heyday with this. Total success or failure. Maybe Rob can cover in the secondary. Typical Bills.

swiper
01-11-2016, 02:52 AM
No................

X-Era
01-11-2016, 04:03 AM
I'm trying to figure out if adding another loose cannon will help build the teams discipline...

X-Era
01-11-2016, 04:31 AM
The team suffered from dis-coordination, operating in an non-business like manner, confusion, disorganization, operating on heart instead of through sound fundamental play.

And we just hired his clone.

The only way this helps is if Rex didn't catch everything that was happening. Now you have two Rex's to watch the players and ensure they are doing their jobs.

It could help if we suffered from not being prepared. Now you've added another coach to carry the load on preparation.

It could help to remove Rex from being so heavily involved in the defense. Maybe it helps Rex focus on the whole team more. Focus on the game, game management, and team discipline as a whole.

Or maybe it's just a stupid move period.

DraftBoy
01-11-2016, 04:37 AM
Assistant coach of defense the news said.

Assistant Head Coach/Defense is the official title per the Bills. I've seen plenty of Asst HC before but never "/Defense". I'm assuming that this is the way of taking away some of Thurman's DC duties without actually firing/demoting him?

- - - Updated - - -

The team suffered from dis-coordination, operating in an non-business like manner, confusion, disorganization, operating on heart instead of through sound fundamental play.

And we just hired his clone.

The only way this helps is if Rex didn't catch everything that was happening. Now you have two Rex's to watch the players and ensure they are doing their jobs.

It could help if we suffered from not being prepared. Now you've added another coach to carry the load on preparation.

It could help to remove Rex from being so heavily involved in the defense. Maybe it helps Rex focus on the whole team more. Focus on the game, game management, and team discipline as a whole.

Or maybe it's just a stupid move period.

If I could thank this 100 times I would. This move makes no sense to me given the title he's received.

Also is he literally just giving his brother a job and a nice title to try and save his reputation after the crap show that happened in NO this past year?

YardRat
01-11-2016, 04:40 AM
Has anybody seen or heard from Yardie since this news came out? He may be the crazy guy screaming obscenities at OBD on the 11:00 local news.

I prefer the term 'eccentric', if you don't mind.

DraftBoy
01-11-2016, 04:49 AM
I prefer the term 'eccentric', if you don't mind.

Crazy's choice. Eccentric it is.

jamze132
01-11-2016, 05:25 AM
If losing 4 straight Super Bowls and missing the playoffs for 16 years and counting wasn't enough, we bring in another clown so the freak show continues. Sideshow Bob is now a member of the coaching staff. Wtf

coastal
01-11-2016, 05:34 AM
Well Rob and Rex together again!
Hey rob... the frackin guy has mad money and his boy Russ is gay for me.

u handle the gay guy and I'll get more tattoo swag and another Bills truck.

Dozerdog
01-11-2016, 06:36 AM
I think this is more of a casting call for "Hard Knocks" .

The perfect addition if you want to drive ratings...

Topas
01-11-2016, 06:48 AM
Ok, that makes sense. The goal is to "win" Hard Knocks. Now everything makes sense...
Are there any knuckleheads available as free agents?

Topas
01-11-2016, 06:53 AM
Oh great - the Bills signed the Wild Man from Borneo now too; one idiot (Ryan) wasn't enough - now they needed another idiot. The Fail Is Strong in the Brandon/Whaley/Ryan Era.

That wording made me laugh. Well played, Sir!

BertSquirtgum
01-11-2016, 06:57 AM
It will be alright people. Put down the box of tissues and stop the crying.

Mahdi
01-11-2016, 07:04 AM
Adding another coach who knows the defensive system is a plus IMO.

I don't see where he can hurt the team as an asst. HC of defense.

EDS
01-11-2016, 07:09 AM
Ok, that makes sense. The goal is to "win" Hard Knocks. Now everything makes sense...
Are there any knuckleheads available as free agents?

Word is Rex is hot for Burflict and Pac Man . . .

Mr. Miyagi
01-11-2016, 07:12 AM
Mark Sanchez can't be far behind.

MillsapsBillsFan
01-11-2016, 07:26 AM
I think this is more of a casting call for "Hard Knocks" .

The perfect addition if you want to drive ratings...

Hey the last few teams on hard knocks improved by a game or two (Texans had the same record), I think I would take that. But I wouldn't be shocked at all if hard knocks comes calling for us, the Bills are made up like a reality show already.

cookie G
01-11-2016, 08:18 AM
“Everything in New Orleans is being blamed on me including Katrina and I think it’s a little farfetched,” Ryan said. “So the bottom line is this. I’ll hold my head high and walk out into the sunset, but believe me, I’m coming back with a vengeance.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/11/22/rob-ryan-everything-in-new-orleans-was-blamed-on-me/

Boy..does that sound familiar.

btw...love this comment

citizenstrange says:
Nov 22, 2015 12:14 PM

He had a good, long, run but it’s over for him now. Can you imagine any head coach trying to drum up excitement by saying ” … and I’ve hired Rob Ryan to be defensive coordinator!”

Yes I can!!

2014 Will be looked back in history of the year we officially may have turned the corner.

2015 will be known as the year Rex got behind the wheel, rolled it..and blamed the car.

Topas
01-11-2016, 08:24 AM
The increase in wins the following season for Hard Knocks teams is less due to being on Hard Knocks, and more due to the fact that teams with losing records agree to being on Hard knocks. And teams with losing seasons are more likely to improve the next season.

So the recipe for improvement is being very bad the season before. That recipe works for most teams other than the Bills ...

IlluminatusUIUC
01-11-2016, 08:49 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qogVHlmFcx0

IlluminatusUIUC
01-11-2016, 08:55 AM
http://bills.buffalonews.com/2015/06/20/the-wild-early-years-and-the-football-family-that-shaped-bills-coach-rex-ryan/

Take, for instance, the time Rex ended up in jail after he broke Rob’s nose days before the Bears’ defense carried Buddy Ryan off the field for winning Super Bowl XX.
They were students at Southwestern Oklahoma State. Rob wanted to take a lady on a date and needed Rex to be his wingman. Rex wasn’t down for the mission because he’d already met Micki, the woman he would marry.

Rob: “I was a solo rider and had a babe on the line. But she had a friend. I said, ‘You know, come on. Be a team player.’ ”
Rex: “I said, ‘Dude, I’m staying at home today.’ ”
Rob: “So after a few hundred beers I said, ‘You need to help out.’ He didn’t, so I was pissed and got in a wrestling match with him. I think he was a lot more sober than I was.”
Rex: “I was bigger and was just going to throw his ass down. But he reversed me and got on top. So we went at it. We ended up outside, and here he comes.”
Rob: “I ran after him, and he had a right hand waiting for me. I never saw it coming. Still haven’t seen it.”
Rex: “I got him good, and it was over. I felt terrible. I couldn’t believe I hit my brother like that.”
Rex was furious and, as keeper of the car key, drove off to clear his head. Tatters of a bloody shirt hung off him.
“I get pulled over by a cop. He sees me and doesn’t know what he’s got,” Rex said with a gleaming-white smile. “I said, ‘I just got in a fight with my brother. You can take me back there, and he’ll explain it.’
“They take me to jail and then called my brother. He said, ‘Nah, leave him in there.’ ”
Rob’s ankle was broken during the wrestling portion of the match, and his nose broken during the boxing portion. When they arrived in New Orleans for Super Bowl week, Rob’s ankle was in a cast. “We both had black eyes,” Rob said. Buddy wasn’t amused.

Mr. Pink
01-11-2016, 09:04 AM
I wonder if they can bring in Buddy as a special consultant next.

sukie
01-11-2016, 09:09 AM
is he old enough?

ghz in pittsburgh
01-11-2016, 09:44 AM
That is a low class move by Rex. Say it like it is. In my mind, the move does not have the feel of "to the best interest of the Bills."

sdbillsfan2
01-11-2016, 09:57 AM
That is a low class move by Rex. Say it like it is. In my mind, the move does not have the feel of "to the best interest of the Bills."

Of course it doesn't. If this isn't nepotism at its finest I dont know what is. The Pegulas are so lost that they're believing everything bit of Ryans and Whaleys BS. Wrecks sees the Pegulas as the "gravy train". Life has been good for Wrecks here and now he hires his brother to the smorgasbord.
Nothing will change until the Pegulas get their heads out of yheir butts and fInd someONE who has a team first mentality.

Typ0
01-11-2016, 11:05 AM
This move stinks of more crap. The team sucks. The coaching sucks. It's not going to change next year either.

Joe Fo Sho
01-11-2016, 11:15 AM
Shouldn't the people that want Rex gone be happy about this move? If it's as bad as you all say it is, it'll only make the team worse and make it more likely that Rex gets canned next year.

MillsapsBillsFan
01-11-2016, 11:16 AM
The increase in wins the following season for Hard Knocks teams is less due to being on Hard Knocks, and more due to the fact that teams with losing records agree to being on Hard knocks. And teams with losing seasons are more likely to improve the next season.

So the recipe for improvement is being very bad the season before. That recipe works for most teams other than the Bills ...

Im well aware of that, I was not seriously suggesting that having cameras follow the team around during the preseason would make them better. Twas just a joke.

YardRat
01-11-2016, 12:58 PM
Getting roasted on Rome this afternoon, by him and callers.

Pretty sure turning a joke of a losing franchise into an even bigger media joke isn't what most had in mind when they wished to be more relevant.

Ginger Vitis
01-11-2016, 02:11 PM
Rex has claimed in the past he and his brother wanted to "blaze" their own trails and that is why they have never worked together since their daddy gave them jobs as position coaches in 1994-1995 with the Cardinals.. I guess it reached a point where Rex had no choice but to give his brother a job because it didnt seem like any other NFL team was going to give Rob Ryan a job as a DC..

Mr. Cynical
01-11-2016, 02:29 PM
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/8334/rob-ryan

good news ..... either way!

limits the pain here .... for me that works.

who know's maybe it works.

The Bills are retaining DC Dennis Thurman.

17 years.

Buffalogic
01-11-2016, 02:39 PM
How can they keep Thurman too? We have like three DC's and two assistant head coaches?? Too many cooks in the kitchen

YardRat
01-11-2016, 02:45 PM
How can they keep Thurman too? We have like three DC's and two assistant head coaches?? Too many cooks in the kitchen

Pegs has $$$...and Wrecks likes spending it for him.

X-Era
01-11-2016, 02:52 PM
The Bills are retaining DC Dennis Thurman.

17 years.Well if 1 DC doesn't get the job done just have 3.

Ingtar33
01-11-2016, 03:31 PM
It seemed to be inevitable. Not sure how good Rob Ryan is though...>

dropping back or rushing the passer? With the way Rex likes to drop 300lb guys into coverage, i'm sure it's to help out the DBs.

Mace
01-11-2016, 06:28 PM
Shouldn't the people that want Rex gone be happy about this move? If it's as bad as you all say it is, it'll only make the team worse and make it more likely that Rex gets canned next year.

Sort of, but the only thing that would make me happier than Rex being gone, would be Rex wildly succeeding via this magical unified twin power blaze of brilliance thing that could mystically occur to negate the cursed history of Buffalo Sports in some righteous measure of merciful fate.

If it doesn't, well, it will be entertaining as we march again to the inevitable, rolling around in our comfortable angst.

Mace
01-11-2016, 06:30 PM

I think Buddy had a more dynamic application of the defense his kids came to pretend to know and would go after them on the sidelines worse than he did Gilbride, if it took him longer to get to them.

BillsImpossible
01-11-2016, 07:01 PM
Everyone here would want to work with their twin brother if they ever had one.

Rex's brother knows his twin's defensive system better than anyone.

I love this addition to the Bills coaching staff like I love my own brother.

Ginger Vitis
01-11-2016, 07:56 PM

So gay and so wrong

kscdogbillsfan1221
01-12-2016, 05:39 AM
Everyone here would want to work with their twin brother if they ever had one.

Rex's brother knows his twin's defensive system better than anyone.

Jesus dude. you're so optimistic, you make better days look like OP or Fletch

I love my brother too, but he's not qualified to do what I do.

Likewise, Rob Ryan has proven over the last couple of years he may not be qualified to do what his brother does either.

feldspar
01-12-2016, 06:02 AM
Which one is the evil twin?

kscdogbillsfan1221
01-12-2016, 06:15 AM
Which one is the evil twin?

the long hair and the goatee make Rob the evil one I'd say

Joe Fo Sho
01-12-2016, 06:20 AM
Sort of, but the only thing that would make me happier than Rex being gone, would be Rex wildly succeeding via this magical unified twin power blaze of brilliance thing that could mystically occur to negate the cursed history of Buffalo Sports in some righteous measure of merciful fate.

If it doesn't, well, it will be entertaining as we march again to the inevitable, rolling around in our comfortable angst.

The Bills have been bad for the last 16 years. This year has at least been the most entertaining season that I can remember, both on and off the field. That's gotta count for something.

DynaPaul
01-12-2016, 06:22 AM
Well this could be an epic fail or it could be...

Mace
01-12-2016, 04:41 PM
the long hair and the goatee make Rob the evil one I'd say

It's a clever ruse to throw you off. Rob is actually the good one, and clean cut Rex is the evil one.

TacklingDummy
01-12-2016, 07:14 PM
The Bills better make the plAyoff next year or they are done.

Mace
01-12-2016, 08:35 PM
The Bills better make the plAyoff next year or they are done.

Nah, one more year to get some ex-Jets. 2018 maybe.

swiper
01-13-2016, 05:51 AM
What an absolute fat slob: http://www.billsdaily.com/images/16pics/robryan.jpg

feldspar
01-13-2016, 10:00 AM
Here's a look at how Rob Ryan's units have fared at his four stops in 12 years. On average, his defenses average a 22nd place finish overall, 21st in opposing passer rating and 19th in sacks with 21 turnovers per season.

https://bills.buffalonews.com/2016/01/11/249039/

Do we know how long the contract is for?

swiper
01-13-2016, 10:05 AM
We don't even know what his official title is yet.

justasportsfan
01-13-2016, 01:58 PM
This is how the bills plan to sell tickets? Nepotism? I'm almost sure that Russ will likely try to get the bills to be in hardknocks. I mean right now I don't even care to watch the team at camp and camp is 10 minutes away from where I live.

sdbillsfan2
01-13-2016, 02:35 PM
"Bills risking Madness "

Sound like the other clown ?

http://espn.go.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/23389/bills-risk-madness-if-rob-ryan-has-another-chance-to-run-defense

sdbillsfan2
01-13-2016, 02:56 PM
Check out @mikerodak's Tweet: https://twitter.com/mikerodak/status/687396253290856448?s=09

Rob's plays came in late and usually the wrong call. Per Saints source.

cookie G
01-13-2016, 02:59 PM
"Bills risking Madness "

http://espn.go.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/23389/bills-risk-madness-if-rob-ryan-has-another-chance-to-run-defense

Yep, I remember Patyon complaining about it when he changed coordinators..the communication issue and getting people on the field and lined up.

Don't expect it to get better this year.

These aren't guys who like to take repsonsibility when they are screwing up or when things aren't working right.

They are legends in their own minds, and will keep doing what they do for spite, because they expect prove everyone wrong.

It isn't much different than watching Marrone/Hackett run the ball up the middle 90% of the time, tell people they are "working on fixing it" and then do the same thing the next week.

Except...they aren't calling plays in NFL anymore.

We're about to get a double dose of spite.

swiper
01-13-2016, 03:08 PM
It shouldn't be lost that what Preston Brown & Corey Graham report went on with the Bills defense have been reported this year - the Saints reported AND the Jets reported under Rex's tenure. Confusion on the sideline, missed calls, not watching the clock, blowing challenge calls, clock mismanagement. All going to be doubled for the Bills next season.

feldspar
01-13-2016, 03:24 PM
Well this could be an epic fail or it could be...

Form of...water.

What's up with Zan? Kinda weak compared to Jayna.

I fear we may end up not with the Wonder Twins, but with Gleek. Hope not.

Cleve
01-14-2016, 01:34 PM
What a joke this is.....

http://jimrome.com/2016/01/11/theyre-all-yours-mafia/

Typ0
01-14-2016, 05:32 PM
It shouldn't be lost that what Preston Brown & Corey Graham report went on with the Bills defense have been reported this year - the Saints reported AND the Jets reported under Rex's tenure. Confusion on the sideline, missed calls, not watching the clock, blowing challenge calls, clock mismanagement. All going to be doubled for the Bills next season.

The thing that really destroys all hope for me is their system is so slow we don't even have a 2 minute offense installed. That is what we saw played out on the sidelines and the field. Status Quo. We are getting coaches who can't put players in a position to succeed. Maybe they just haven't had the right players? Seems to me this system is so complex it takes them forever to process it before the players can get a split second view.

YardRat
01-15-2016, 06:56 AM
We had the right players with Schwartz.

Taking a top-flight defense and turning it upside down in a single season is not a player issue.

Cleve
01-15-2016, 09:03 AM
Has anyone looked at Rob Ryan's record as DC? He's been a DC for 12 seasons. Only 2 of the seasons did his defense perform in the top ten in yards allowed and points allowed. In EIGHT of those 12 seasons, his defense was 20th out of 32 or WORSE. The last two seasons with the Saints have been a disaster - 31st out of 32 in 2014, and 32 out of 32 in 2015 in yards allowed.

Can someone tell me the reason for optimism that Rob Ryan will turn things around?

It's just incredible that the Bills are talking about 'rebuilding' the Defense. That's all this team has done in a 16 year post-season drought is rebuild. Now they're rebuilding the rebuild - it's beyond pathetic.

The team is being turned into the Ryan Friends and Family Club. And it's getting the blessing of Terry Pegula, who must be drinking deep of the Brandon Kool-Aid. Terrible decision.... awful decision.

Mace
01-15-2016, 07:27 PM
Can someone tell me the reason for optimism that Rob Ryan will turn things around?

Well, it can't hurt after you go all in for a few K, to throw another 35 cents and your comb on the table to join it. Maybe it will magically melt together into good fortune. Not if your YardRat though with those awesome locks.

Victor7
01-19-2016, 11:03 AM
Remember when I posted all the Rob Ryan numbers vs the NFC East this year and how on earth I couldn't understand why Rex brought him to "help" during those weeks ??

I got laughed at and called paranoid. "It can't "hurt" to have another guy that knows defenses and played them" was the main answer to my cries for help.

Of course we lost both games and I think we all remember how the ****ing Redskins made us their *****. Some help Rob Ryan provided huh? ...... I would say I told you so but what's the point.

A completely unnecessary and inept hire. Rob Ryan is USELESS. Find the thread and look at his defensive rankings please. He absolutely sucks.

Horrendous move by OBD.

swiper
01-19-2016, 11:15 AM
It will be worse for you when Schwartz goes in to Philly and makes a name for turning around Kiko Alonso and the rest of that defense while the Bills wallow in mediocrity.

Victor7
01-19-2016, 12:54 PM
It will be worse for you when Schwartz goes in to Philly and makes a name for turning around Kiko Alonso and the rest of that defense while the Bills wallow in mediocrity.

I read he's already agreed to join them.

Good luck to JS over there.

CommissarSpartacus
01-21-2016, 05:01 AM
"Bills risking Madness "

LOL!

My chin hit the table when I read this...

"It's on me," Rob Ryan said late in the 2011 season. "It's my watch. But the simple fact is -- and I know no one believes it -- but I know I'm the best coach or the best defensive coach. Teddy Roosevelt had a big line on critics: I know you know it, but I don't. The bottom line is I tell my players I'm Sugar Ray Robinson. I'm the champ, and I always know I'm the best. Now maybe nobody else in the media believes it, but I know the guys in the locker room do and I do. So whatever it is, hey, I'm the man who is in charge. I'm the man who will fix our problem."

This guy is an even bigger bull****ter than his brother.

We have this to look forward to next year?

Historian
01-21-2016, 05:06 AM
What an absolute fat slob: http://www.billsdaily.com/images/16pics/robryan.jpg

That Tee shirt is a Mitchell-Ness, and costs 100 bucks at Laux.

justasportsfan
01-21-2016, 09:40 AM
"Bills risking Madness "

Expect Rex Ryan to talk up his twin brother's abilities as a coach in the coming months -- Rex already told ESPN Radio's "Mike & Mike" on Monday that the Bills "got better" by hiring Rob

I remember him talking up Dennis Thurman as a future head coach. Now Thurman was demoted to db coach and they still hired Ed Reed .

We still BILLIEVE !!!! :liar:

YardRat
01-24-2016, 11:54 AM
http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopoly_fs/1.453959.1314604030%21/img/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/article_970/alg-rex-ryan-costume-jpg.jpg

Mouldsie
01-25-2016, 12:04 AM
:'(