PDA

View Full Version : TBN Carucci : McCoy deal was a winner for the Bills

Mace
01-10-2016, 08:42 PM
At first, the Bills were a lot more excited to have McCoy than he was to have them. That eventually was fixed with an adjustment to his contract that boosted his pay from $10 million to $16 million in 2015.

How well did the investment pay off? The Bills finished first in the NFL in rushing, and McCoy made a significant contribution with his team-leading 895 yards.

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2016/01/10/mccoy-deal-was-a-winner-for-bills/

Well, I guess I'm nuts, I don't agree. Might as well say it and go ahead and swing at me. Doesn't even have anything to do with Alonso. That much money for a guy who ran for 895 yards in 12 games with 3 rushing touchdowns for the 1 ranked rushing offense strikes me as a peculiar mark of success. Matt Forte ran for more yards on the 12th ranked rushing offense, the available offseason Darren McFadden ran for more, so did a bunch of other cheaper guys.

But he was hurt ! Expect more of that next year. I still think it was a dumb trade just for what we're paying a running back who played in 12 games for 895 yards and 3 rushing td's.

coastal
01-10-2016, 08:44 PM
Fools sh1t

that jizelle chick was undrafted or something and he produced.

swiper
01-11-2016, 03:56 AM
Billz are best at throwing wasted money at players.

Look at how small city teams like the Packers and Steelers keep doing it year in and year out. And then there are the Billz. The fans deserve better.

That said, we got a close up look at how good McCoy is. I hope he comes back healthy and strong next year.

Mr. Pink
01-11-2016, 08:36 AM
Fools sh1t

Yeah that guy produced 28 yards on 24 carries when he was given the feature role in a game.

His performance really downplays McCoy....or something.

Mace
01-11-2016, 06:21 PM

Look at how small city teams like the Packers and Steelers keep doing it year in and year out. And then there are the Billz. The fans deserve better.

That said, we got a close up look at how good McCoy is. I hope he comes back healthy and strong next year.

That's the big thing imho. And will he be better, healthier, younger, or cheaper than the next wave of RB's coming out of college, FA's and retreads ?

I don't think so.

BillsImpossible
01-11-2016, 06:43 PM
That's the big thing imho. And will he be better, healthier, younger, or cheaper than the next wave of RB's coming out of college, FA's and retreads ?

I don't think so.

McCoy was amazing to watch this season. He had some great runs and was the most talented running back in a Bills uniform since Thurman Thomas.

On the face of it, the Bills killed that trade for Alonso.

The Eagles traded a potential future Hall of Famer for a small linebacker that won't be in the league in 2 years because his knee is done.

McCoy makes a ton of money, so what? Adrian Peterson's contract makes McCoy's look reasonable.

Until the Bills have to pay a franchise QB a crap load of money, they have the ability to sign a lot of good players.

At least they're spending money.

Terry and Kim are not cheap.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/minnesota-vikings/adrian-peterson/

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/lesean-mccoy/

There's always salary cap wiggle room to work with as well.

Mace
01-11-2016, 07:00 PM
I guess, it you want to pay that much for a guy who couldn't stay healthy and gave you less than 900 rushing yards for the price, will be one year older and such. It's someone elses money, not like we could do anything with it or find a younger cheaper, more successful RB on an almost yearly basis with good scouting.

more cowbell
01-12-2016, 07:23 AM
For those who say we "overpaid" for McCoy. His cap number actually is lower with the new deal he received in Buffalo, he just got more guaranteed money because he was essentially owed none on his old deal.

So the Bills gave him guaranteed money...it doesn't count on the cap...who cares?

Joe Fo Sho
01-12-2016, 07:36 AM
For those who say we "overpaid" for McCoy. His cap number actually is lower with the new deal he received in Buffalo, he just got more guaranteed money because he was essentially owed none on his old deal.

So the Bills gave him guaranteed money...it doesn't count on the cap...who cares?

Every dime that the Bills give him counts against the salary cap at one point or another.

k-oneputt
01-12-2016, 10:00 AM

Yeah look how they do it. Let's see how they do it when Rodgers and Roethlisberger are no longer around.

Mr. Miyagi
01-12-2016, 10:08 AM
Fools sh1t

Can someone please translate this into English for me?

chernobylwraiths
01-12-2016, 10:17 AM
I would float it out there that the Bills are willing to see what Philly would do to take McCoy back. Free up more cap space and get someone younger. McCoy is good, but for how many more years? And older backs don't get less injuries as they get older.

Crisis
01-12-2016, 03:38 PM
Karlos and Gillislee looked their best when they're letting McCoy wear down the defense first. Neither are a feature back like Shady.

Mace
01-12-2016, 05:08 PM
Karlos and Gillislee looked their best when they're letting McCoy wear down the defense first. Neither are a feature back like Shady.

I'd probably have to painfully point out Spiller ran for 350 more yards and 3 more rushing TD's in 2012 and we went 6-10, feature back Adrian Peterson didn't power the Vikings to a playoff win, feature backs CJ2K and Jones-Drew piled up yards on losing teams, and 8 of the 11 rb's who finished ahead of McCoy in yards didn't get to the playoffs, and 7 of them spearheaded teams with losing records.

It's fun to watch a feature back have his moments, but it doesn't necessarily translate to bang for your buck.

Mace
01-12-2016, 05:31 PM

He cost 5.5 million on the cap for 2015, will cost 7.675 million on the cap in 2016 & 8.875 million in 2017, though 2017 is the year we can save 1 million by cutting him as designated after June 1st (which means the money isn't available until then). You pay guaranteed money upfront, expense is just spread out over the life of the contract.

The retired Orton cost the Bills 1.5 million in dead cap this year, Alan Branch with the Pats in the playoffs cost us 1.55 million, Chris Williams the guard cost us 1.475, and CJ Spiller cost us 2.167 million despite being with New Orleans. That's because of guaranteed money that just defers, but still costs. In fact, the Bills paid 14 million dollars in dead cap for players who aren't here. That's sort of on the GM but no one mentions it.

YardRat
01-12-2016, 05:34 PM
Fools sh1t

Can someone please translate this into English for me?

"I call shenanigans!.

The free agent running back the Bills signed who's name is similar to Tom Brady's beard...errrr...wife...(Har! Har! I can be sooo witty!) played well when he was given the opportunity."

justasportsfan
01-12-2016, 07:21 PM
Another great Whaley move that meant nothing. Kinda like (but not as good) as the Shepard -Hughes move. Great move that didn't produce more wins because the bad moves set them back way further.

Mace
01-12-2016, 07:28 PM
Another great Whaley move that meant nothing. Kinda like (but not as good) as the Shepard -Hughes move. Great move that didn't produce more wins because the bad moves set them back way further.

Great GM we want to keep around a long time though.

starrymessenger
01-12-2016, 10:16 PM
If you are going to run your whole offence through the backfielf might as well have a feature back.
Hopefully McCoy is good for 16 next year.
If he plays as long in Buff as he did in Philly and puts up similar numbers he's probably on his way to Canton.

pmoon6
01-13-2016, 02:06 AM
Too funny.

"We aren't spending money to upgrade the team" "Cap to Crap"

"We're spending too much money on players" "Our cap situation sucks"

Which is it, boys?

justasportsfan
01-13-2016, 01:59 PM
Great GM we want to keep around a long time though.

it's more like we're hoping that Whaley will eventually get the coaching hire right.

Mr. Cynical
01-13-2016, 03:52 PM
it's more like we're hoping that Whaley will eventually get the coaching hire right.

Eventually.......(rob ryan, cough)

Mace
01-13-2016, 04:40 PM
Too funny.

"We aren't spending money to upgrade the team" "Cap to Crap"

"We're spending too much money on players" "Our cap situation sucks"

Which is it, boys?

Well, I think you want to spend on the right players. It's like, if you need a lamp, buy a lamp. You don't need to blow money on an antique chandelier to light up your ratty old couch, or buy some deluxe grand old sofa you have to look at with a flashlight. Oh when I sit on the couch it's heaven, can't see a damn thing or.... oh I can see everything terrible so wonderfully now. Spend the money right you can have a couch and a lamp, and maybe even something else.

Like I pointed out feature backs will entertain you but don't necessarily translate to any success. Do you want to be entertained a few plays a game or win them ?

Is 895 rushing yards and 8-8 really worth 5.5 million ? Devonta Freeman ran for 1056 and 8 more td's than McCoy, caught 300 yards more in passes, is 4 years younger and made 632,000 dollars, for 8-8.

I don't know. Spending money for the sake of it is about the same as not spending money to me. You probably want to spend it in the right places.

whkfc
01-13-2016, 05:06 PM
McCoy was amazing to watch this season. He had some great runs and was the most talented running back in a Bills uniform since Thurman Thomas.

On the face of it, the Bills killed that trade for Alonso.

The Eagles traded a potential future Hall of Famer for a small linebacker that won't be in the league in 2 years because his knee is done.

McCoy makes a ton of money, so what? Adrian Peterson's contract makes McCoy's look reasonable.

Until the Bills have to pay a franchise QB a crap load of money, they have the ability to sign a lot of good players.

At least they're spending money.

Terry and Kim are not cheap.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/minnesota-vikings/adrian-peterson/

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/lesean-mccoy/

There's always salary cap wiggle room to work with as well.

Are you McCoy's mother? I like the player but he had 895 yr ds last year. And he's been used heavily and is on the downside of his career.